New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread - UU Edition

GastroDEAD@Leftovers
252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD Calm
~ Block
~ Yawn
~ Memento
~ Protect

Gastrodon has great bulk to pull this off without any hitches. I usually lead with Yawn to scout a switch in, then use Block on their secondary switch. This makes it so they can't switch anymore. Hopefully they didn't bring in something that can sub or taunt, so you can Yawn and then Protect or Memento to bring in anything absolutely free and get that one turn that's required. Especially helpful with Belly Drum sweepers that are difficult to set up.

RegiLURE@Occa Berry
64 HP / 196 SpA / 248 Spe - Modest / Mild
~ Hidden Power [Water]
~ Explosion
~ Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
~ Anything you want really...

What do people always switch in on Registeel?

1) Rhyperior or Donphan (bulky grounds)
2) Moltres or Arcanine or Houndoom (fires)

Now with one fell swoop you can knock them all back on their butts with RegiLURE! Specially designed to always outspeed and 2HKO the standard Donphan or Rhyperior on the switch in with HP Water, or go BOOM on that troublesome fire type with its handy Occa Berry! The last spots are customizable - they can really carry ANYTHING! Thunderbolt can dent Milotic and Blastoise while they struggle to hurt you, while Thunder Wave slows down an immanent sweep. Stealth Rock penalizes the opposition for switching their DEADphan or subFERIOR for switching in. Act fast and Stealth Rock will even hurt those evil fire-types for SUPER EFFECTIVE DAMAGE! But that's not all! If you use this set now, you will recieve a fourth moveslot, ABSOLUTELY FREE! So call and get your RegiLURE TODAY!

...SOLD!

Works with anything really, it always gives me a free turn to set up anything I want. I'd been keeping it a secret but eh whatever :)

@M BLADE - Well obviously no one listened because I still haven't seen it :)

Maybe someone would like to try some RegiLURE?

Secret?
I remember you posting this exact set last meta on the megathread O_o
Anyway, it looks nice, just like before. Good set.

GastroDEAD@ Leftovers
252 HP/212 Def/44 SpD -Calm
~ Block
~ Yawn
~ Memento
~ Protect

RegiLURE@ Occa Berry
64 HP/196 SpA/248 Spe - Modest
~ Hidden Power Water
~ Explosion
~ Thunderbolt
~ Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock

Nice sets. However, I see Uxie somewhat outclassing it because it can set up Dual screens, making it even more difficult for your opponent to take out your set-up sweeper even after they switch. I also don't really like how Gastrodon has a quadruple weakeness. Other than that the Gastrodon looks pretty decent. Okay, now we get to Registeel. It looks like a pretty cool set, However it still doesn't reliably get rid of the fire types. Swords Dance Blaziken wrecks this set quite horribly. Other fire types can probably survive 2 Hidden powers, like Arcanine, Magmortar, Ninetales, Flareon, and Entei could also cause problems for Registeel. This set is pretty much walled by Torterra who can easily set up on you. Bulky water easily wall you to, especially Gastrodon and Quagsire. Overall, I think they look like decent sets, very creative!

The point is to Explode on fire types in case 1) your team is weak to them or 2) you run a lot of pokes that don't like defensive Arcanine so they can sweep... yeah. Torterra is a pretty safe switch anyways to Registeel bar Ice Punch, and Mild is needed to gain the OHKO on Arcanine after SR and Intimidate. Nothing "walls" it because of Explosion anyways.

For reference Shadow Claw works decent in the last spot so you still decently counter non-wow Mismagius if needed.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GastroDEAD@Leftovers
~ Block
~ Yawn
~ Memento
~ Protect

Gastrodon has great bulk to pull this off without any hitches. I usually lead with Yawn to scout a switch in, then use Block on their secondary switch. This makes it so they can't switch anymore. Hopefully they didn't bring in something that can sub or taunt, so you can Yawn and then Protect or Memento to bring in anything absolutely free and get that one turn that's required. Especially helpful with Belly Drum sweepers that are difficult to set up.
Oh God that looks like an evil Wobbuffet wannabe. Nice set.

^Just a thought, but have you considered Focus Punch in the last slot? It works well alongside Substitute/Dark Pulse and would allow Cacturne to deal significant damage to Chansey and Registeel.
Yeah, it did consider it and it's usable off Cacturne's great attack.
Chansey can be worked around since your subs will start evading Seismic Toss but Focus Punch would help take a chunk out of Registeel.

The reason I went with Sand Attack as the primary is I wanted to give it a chance against all the fast stuff that will gladly pick it off.
The physical set will alwats reign supreme because of boosted priority Sucker Punch.

The point is to Explode on fire types in case 1) your team is weak to them or 2) you run a lot of pokes that don't like defensive Arcanine so they can sweep... yeah. Torterra is a pretty safe switch anyways to Registeel bar Ice Punch, and Mild is needed to gain the OHKO on Arcanine after SR and Intimidate. Nothing "walls" it because of Explosion anyways.

For reference Shadow Claw works decent in the last spot so you still decently counter non-wow Mismagius if needed.

registeel is immune to intimidate thanks to clear body so arcanine is probably koed regardless by EQ after SR.

Perhaps a dumb question but doesn't Block stop working once Gastrodon either switched out or die?
That's true, but the point is to Block a poke, then Yawn it. They can't switch out the turn that you use Memento or switch out, so they will fall asleep, and your switchin has 1 free turn.

Hello!
I'm going to post here a poke i would like to share with you all people.
I'll do something new: i, myself, am going to rate the set. Everytime i'll post something new, i'll do that.

Rate system: */10.
* being the all out effectiveness of the set.
10 being the max.

Let's go!

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 6 SpA
Nature: Timid
Ability: Trace
- Wish
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Psychic

Quick Summary: this remembers Mismagius a lot (Taunt Plot Split one...wow), and Mismagius has a better defensive typing and NP, so why use Gardy?
Simple answer: Wish. Wish works not only for yourself, it also helps your teammates when needed, something Missy can't do.
Think about a sweeper that shuts stall up AND helps your teammates when needed.

EVs: very simple: max HP increases Gardevoir survivability by a lot, especially with it's low defense stat. Max speed is needed to Taunt/scare off diverse pokes. Gardy doesn't need SpA EV investiment that bad, seeing that it has 286 SpA. Very good indeed.

The problems:
I know what you're thinking: "lol, any Dark poke will have a easy time going in, setting up etc". Well, that's what partners are for!
Dark pokes are often problematic though: Absol and Houndoom are powerhouses capable of running through any team with ease. Spiritomb can (and will) Pursuit Gardevoir. Drapion is also difficult to take down if you're not prepared.
So figure how to deal/cover them!

Pokemon Tip: Laugh, but Scarf Aggron works wonders, getting Head Smashes for a clean OHKO at the two most dangerous ones (Houndoom, Absol) while completely walling 95% of Spiritombs.

Set effectiveness: 8/10

It needs support (against Dark pokes) and it could be easily Pursuit'd, but other than that it is a real pain to take out, and it works as a utility poke.
Remember: to differ Gardy from Missy, Wish is the key.

Thanks for the patience (for reading through all this just for a "new" set... hehe).

Gardy is cool but it seems Dark types will ruin your fun all day esp. if they have Pursuit when you can't stay and you can't run.
Taunt on deliberate stat boosters protects from many nasty plots such as status but Psychic STAB alone seems risky given the Dark immunity and SE pursuit.

Lol...here's an interesting slowking set:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Bold/Own tempo
252specdef/212def/44spec.atk
-Slack off
-Nasty plot
-Trump card
-Surf

An interesting set that's worked for me, trump card kills things like absol should they run pressure, surf offers backup stab, slack off for recovery and nasty plot to beef up the 2 attacks.

Gardy is cool but it seems Dark types will ruin your fun all day esp. if they have Pursuit when you can't stay and you can't run.
Taunt on deliberate stat boosters protects from many nasty plots such as status but Psychic STAB alone seems risky given the Dark immunity and SE pursuit.
He said all of that in his post and helpful teammates, did you not read it? This thread is not for people to post problems with a set that have already been covered, thats counterproductive and pointless.
And also it works as a utility poke, this Gardevoir is not there to sweep teams, therefore Psychic as the one attacking move is okay. Just think about Wish Chansey, is Seismic Toss a good attacking move that hits everything. No. It allows it to be Pursuited or forced out too. If anything, it can Taunt Absol / Houndoom / Drapion so they can't Nasty Plot or Swords Dance and proceed to kill it with... Scarf Aggron. Or it can Wish and something can come in with full health, either one is bad for your opponent.

He said all of that in his post and helpful teammates, did you not read it? This thread is not for people to post problems with a set that have already been covered, thats counterproductive and pointless.
And also it works as a utility poke, this Gardevoir is not there to sweep teams, therefore Psychic as the one attacking move is okay. Just think about Wish Chansey, is Seismic Toss a good attacking move that hits everything. No. It allows it to be Pursuited or forced out too. If anything, it can Taunt Absol / Houndoom / Drapion so they can't Nasty Plot or Swords Dance and proceed to kill it with... Scarf Aggron. Or it can Wish and something can come in with full health, either one is bad for your opponent.
How is a team mate going to help Gardevoir when a Dark type with Pursuit switches in on ANYTHING that set has?
This is why most Gardys carry Reflect, Will-o-wisp or Focus Blast to either deter them or soften the blow.
So no, I don't think this issue was covered which is why I mentioned it.

[BTW, Chansey does not have to contend with a Fighting type trapping move while being unable to hit Fighting types]

Grumpig
Thick Fat
Bold
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SPD
Female

Seismic Toss
Thunder Wave
Attract
Confuse Ray

This set is an annoyer that easily spreads paralysis with proper prediction on switches.
As normal parafusion would work step 1 is to paralyze, differently in this case if pokemon is of opposite gender u would attract. Then most people will switch and u will use paralyze again now once u know someone is most likely not gonna switch so they don't fall into this pattern u add on a confuse ray so they will hav only an 18% chance to actually attack. After this we will spam seismic toss and confuse ray as necessary. Although this build is walled by ghosts there are many fine pursuiters who can help this problem.

Anything with Substitute makes the set pointless, namely SubPlot Mismagius, SubSeed Venusaur, SubPlot Houndoom, etc. Attract is bad. If your opponent is the opposite gender (around a 50% chance) the moveslot is useless, and your opponent will catch onto that quickly. There are a lot of opportunities for Ground, Ghosts, and females to switch in and set up.

Anything with Substitute makes the set pointless, namely SubPlot Mismagius, SubSeed Venusaur, SubPlot Houndoom, etc. Attract is bad. If your opponent is the opposite gender (around a 50% chance) the moveslot is useless, and your opponent will catch onto that quickly. There are a lot of opportunities for Ground, Ghosts, and females to switch in and set up.
This is why nearly all of my Poke are female. Also, true, anything faster than Grumpig with Substitute (I.E, nearly everything.) will completely wreck you. Especially Mismagius or another Ghost.

How is a team mate going to help Gardevoir when a Dark type with Pursuit switches in on ANYTHING that set has?
This is why most Gardys carry Reflect, Will-o-wisp or Focus Blast to either deter them or soften the blow.

[BTW, Chansey does not have to contend with a Fighting type trapping move while being unable to hit Fighting types]
That's why you play with caution :toast:
If you got something that it's completely owned by a typing (like this Gardy) even if you try to switch out, what would you do?
You can preserve Gardy until you're sure the dark poke is gone, or try double switching.

You can ask "why preserve Gardevoir when it's used to support?". Well, max speed with positive nature and Calm Mind answers the question. It supports, but also can sweep.

Resuming: Don't play carelessly with this kind of poke. It's a Double Edged sword: it's as easy to take down (through Dark Pursuiters) as it's difficult (from... pretty much anything else bar some pokes here and there).

Oh yes: Scarf Aggron really gives you the edge when double switching against dark pokes. No Houndoom/Absol would suspect Aggron to outspeed them O_o

Like M BLADE said, this is not a poke where you can throw caution to the wind. If you only reveal part of the set by playing cautiously, like using Calm Mind and Psychic, then your opponent will probably assume you have Focus Blast too and never switch in anything but a Spiritomb (Drapion's Special Defense is not high enough without investment). Just one of the four pokemon that trouble this set. If you have used Taunt and Wish, most likely your carrying Will-o-Wisp, which only Houndoom and Rest-talk Spiritombs can take advantage of it, and Rest-talk Spiritomb doesn't carry Pursuit.

Here are some calculations of common Pursuit users vs. M BLADE's Gardevoir who is NOT switching out.

Choice Scarf Houndoom (no atk evs) vs 252 Hp Gardevoir: 33.5% - 39.4%
Thats a 3ko with Leftovers and Gardy can outstall it with Wish.

MixDoom (252 atk 180 spe) vs 252 Hp Gardevoir: 60% - 71.2%
This is a 2ko but Gardy is faster and Wish to bring a counter in at full health

C&C NP Houndoom with 100 atk evs vs 252 Gardevoir: 48.2% - 57.1%
This is an unlikely 2ko and Gardy can Taunt it to stop a full out sweep or Wish once again or both if you survive two hits. (most likely outcome)

C&C Hasty Mixdoom with 252 atk evs vs 252 Gardevoir: 55.3% - 65.9%
Once again a 2ko where you are still free to Wish once

C&C Mild ScarfDoom with 84 atk evs vs 252 Gardevoir: 46.5% - 55.3%
An unlikely 2ko with Lefties allowing you to do whatever you want for at least one turn, but if you survive and Wish heals you, you are in a better position than your opponent.

Lead Spiritomb with 48 atk evs: 35.3% - 42.4% 3ko no questions asked.

CB Spiritomb with 252 atk evs: 71.2% - 84.7% You outspeed so you have to turns to Taunt and Wish so it can't Trick you.

Defensive LeadTomb with 184 atk evs and a Careful nature:40.6% - 48.2% 2ko, you outspeed.

UnSwords Danced Absol Pursuit: 78.2% - 92.4% Not even the monster attacker Absol is guaranteed to end your supporting streak while you oustpeed it and Taunt and Wish.

CB Drapion:64.1% - 75.9%

The only thing that carries Pursuit, can switch in one Gardy and outright kill it without switching is CB Absol, and how often do you see that?

| Absol | Item | Life Orb | 45.1 |
| Absol | Item | Choice Scarf | 18.3 |
| Absol | Item | Focus Sash | 11.4 |
| Absol | Item | Other (5) | < 8.6 |
My point exactly. Anyway, if Gardevoir is killed by some dark type, it will have at least one chance to:
Taunt, and stop an Absol / Houndoom / Drapion sweep, therefore forcing them to switch out and giving you momentum, something that is very important. It also stops anything that would like to Trick you (Spiritomb).

OR

Wish, so when you bring in your counter to (insert dark pokemon's name here), it will be at full health and do one of these three things:
Successfully force said dark poke out, giving you momentum,
Revenge kill said dark poke, giving you momentum and possibly a numerical advantage
Or, force the opponent out and set up something like SD Blaziken, RP Aggron/Rhyperior, or Sub-Punch Azumarill and sweep, giving you momentum and probably the game.

I listed all of these late game sweepers because that is the only time Gardevoir should be allowed to be Pursuited. M BLADE said it himself. If you did not play conservatively enough, that is your fault. Pursuit really is not a huge problem for this Gardevoir, it can still work even if it is trapped and allow you to do whatever you want after it dies.

[BTW, one of the most reliable ways to check or faint a Chansey is Pursuit, so don't even go there. Having to switch out your Chansey and allowing your opponent to double switch in whatever they want is just as bad.]

Milotic with Accuracy!!

I've been testing this set out since the start of summer and it's been going great...Trolling ppl and defintely an eye opener lol some other ppl have had success with it too..

Miltotic @ Wide Lens
6 HP/252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe
Timid(+Spe, -Atk)
Hydro Pump
HP grass
Hypnosis
Blizzard

A gimmick set that works wonders.....The widelens increase the accuracy of your moves, while also bluffing that you are choiced..It lures in venasaur(of course) and if your opponents goes for the bluff you nail it with hypnosis or if it's in KO range for Blizzard

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Rolf said:
GastroDEAD@Leftovers
~ Block
~ Yawn
~ Memento
~ Protect

I used this set on my Linoone team about 10 months back (and I won't claim I created it, that honor goes to Lemmiwinks) and it was very effective back then but why Protect? It seems totally contradictory to what Gastrodon is there to do - DIE. I ran Ice Beam at the time to deter the inevitable Insomnia Honchkrow switch-in while hitting Venusaur but I also began to run Earthquake at one point (fucking Raikou and it also allowed me to bluff earlier on that it was just a regular bulky water Gastrodon). I recall a period where Sand and Hail became really popular so I tried Rain Dance in that slot for for a little bit so that Linoone wasn't getting pelted/buffeted.

A little bit of extra reading for you courtesy of the great Lemmiwinks:

Lemmiwinks MkII said:
The final important point is the method you use to give Linoone that all-important free turn to set up. Now the classic strategy is your standard Dual Screens + Memento or other suicide move, which is good if you pull it off right, but beware that it does carry the odd risk. Screens can be broken with a Brick Break user, and there is no guarantee that your suicide move will hit a suitable target. Another method that IMO is slightly better and less risky is the Yawn-trap tactic. This involves a Pokemon with access to a trapping move in addition to Yawn and a way of giving the next Pokemon a safe entry. Umbreon is the perfect example of this, with Mean Look, Yawn and Baton Pass alongside low speed to naturally go with Payback. Chople Berry is also an item option for guaranteeing survival of a hit from strong Fighting types. However, another cool option that I have found is Gastrodon, who has Block, Yawn and Memento with god-awful speed in addition to great typing and bulk which is perfect for surviving a required hit or two. I used this on my last Linoone team, and it worked surprisingly well, netting me dozens of sweeps. It takes a little bit of prediction to pull off at times, but not much, so don’t let that put you off. Gastrodon is particularly impressive because of its versatility at this role, as even if you can’t manage to pull off a Yawn trap, Memento itself can sometimes be all you need. Just remember that in order to support Linoone, your strategy doesn’t necessarily have to go as planned. Say you are using Gastrodon and you Yawn an incoming Grass type, then predict a switch and attempt to Block the next Pokemon. Should they just stay in and OHKO you, they still fall asleep at the end of the turn, and that is all Linoone needs to drum up and sweep. Just watch out for potential ResTalkers when doing this though.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Sticky Hold
Relaxed
152 HP / 252 Def / 104 SpD

~ Surf
~ Yawn
~ Block
~ Memento

Main Linoone supporter, and also decent bulky Water.
I'm a bit shocked it's not in the analysis tbh, let me see what I can do about that.

EDIT: here - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2882239#post2882239 I'd appreciate it if you posted there Rolf, cheers.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, in the spirit of Rolf's epic Gastrodon, I went to look up everything that has Block, and saw one epic mon that has it:

Walrein @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat/Ice Body (Don't care)
EVs: 224 HP/40 SpD/244 Spe (EVs to outspeed minimum speed Uxie, but there's sure to be a better spread)
Nature: Bold
-BLOCK
-Encore
-Yawn
-Protect

Can do a few things. You can take the GastroDEAD route by Blocking and Encoring, or you can be an ass and do a Wobbuffet by Blocking and Encoring.

RegiLURE@Occa Berry
64 HP / 196 SpA / 248 Spe - Modest / Mild
~ Hidden Power [Water]
~ Explosion
~ Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
~ Earthqauke

What do people always switch in on Registeel?

1) Rhyperior or Donphan (bulky grounds)
2) Moltres or Arcanine or Houndoom (fires)
3) Magneton/Probopass (Magnet Pull)

Now with one fell swoop you can knock them all back on their butts with RegiLURE! Specially designed to always outspeed and 2HKO the standard Donphan or Rhyperior on the switch in with HP Water, or go BOOM on that troublesome fire type with its handy Occa Berry! The last spots are customizable - they can really carry ANYTHING! Thunderbolt can dent Milotic and Blastoise while they struggle to hurt you, while Thunder Wave slows down an immanent sweep. Stealth Rock penalizes the opposition for switching their DEADphan or SUBferior for switching in. Act fast and Stealth Rock will even hurt those evil fire-types for SUPER EFFECTIVE DAMAGE! But that's not all! If you use this set now, you will recieve a fourth moveslot, ABSOLUTELY FREE! So call and get your RegiLURE TODAY!

...SOLD!
Helped you out a bit.
I find Registeel without Earthquake an easy kill, because I use Magneton. Perhaps this should help a bit, in case you're having Magneton (or Probopass) problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)