Pokemon Home 3.0 update and S/V compatibility arriving ~~May 24th~~ ~~"Soon"~~ MAY 30TH FOR REAL THIS TIME

Interesting new development:

While this is all probably the update for teal mask, the information about ability stuff is very interesting. The mobile app news goes a bit more in depth. There is a reasonable chance that all of this strange behavior from earlier was unintended behavior, and that it won't be around for long:

If that does happen, congrats to people playing SWSH OU for gaining tradebacks. VC Pokemon without their hidden abilities should be legal if this happens. Or hell, maybe they make an exception for SWSH VC Pokemon in particular to stop Fissure Machamp from ever happening in any capacity lol.
Holy shit! Holy shit it happened! You can un-HA VC Pokemon in Gen 9 and send them back to Gen 8 with their normal abilities now!

1694607219649.png

SWSH GOT TRADEBACKS!

(Sorta! Just a few new VC move + normal ability combos!)

Home's latest update added a bunch of challenges that should have been there to begin with, like stuff with the paradoxes, the maushold forms, completing the Paldea dex. Hooray!

Too bad you have to drag everything back into the game to get them. Completed that Paldea Dex already and even got the crown? Didn't get the challenge. Have all the paradoxes just sitting there? Take them back out. Have the Mausholds? No you don't.

ACTUALLY ITS EVEN WORSE: They straight up don't work at all. I put the entire Paldea dex back in and got none of the challenges to trigger

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Honestly by usual standards today went incredibly smoothly. We were told maintenance would be over at 7am, which then became 9am, which then became "stop asking" but I was able to get in after midday and, the issues with the challenges aside, everything seems to be working as it should.

Did a bit of GTS trading and got a Dipplin and Poltchageist fairly quickly; none of the others have been particularly abundant and the ones that are there are mostly asking for Furfrou (twas ever thus) or the other DLC legendaries in return. Never mind, I'm sure I'll get them before too long. I've a bunch of Go-marked shiny legendaries I'm trying to tempt people with; my shiny level 25 Ho-oh is currently sat there waiting for someone generous/foolish enough to part with their new Ogerpon.

Oh hey they updated the GTS so it can search for specific Phony/Antique forms of the tea mons now. Like a lot of Home's issues, it was somewhat inexplicable that you couldn't do that before.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly by usual standards today went incredibly smoothly. We were told maintenance would be over at 7am, which then became 9am, which then became "stop asking" but I was able to get in after midday and, the issues with the challenges aside, everything seems to be working as it should.

Did a bit of GTS trading and got a Dipplin and Poltchageist fairly quickly; none of the others have been particularly abundant and the ones that are there are mostly asking for Furfrou (twas ever thus) or the other DLC legendaries in return. Never mind, I'm sure I'll get them before too long. I've a bunch of Go-marked shiny legendaries I'm trying to tempt people with; my shiny level 25 Ho-oh is currently sat there waiting for someone generous/foolish enough to part with their new Ogerpon.
Well for me at least I was lucky enough to be able to access it about half an hour after the two hour delay. Just as I was about to say screw it and play it through with the egg Chimchar instead - fortunately got my Iron Fist Fpunch/Tpunch boi in there.

Can you confirm No Guard Fissure Machamp specifically? (Was there a stealth update to make No Guard stop working with OHKO moves? :toast:)
We have to wait until Machamp gets added into a game with invertible ability patch, I’m afraid. It’s not in SWSH, and given the datamines, it looks like we’re waiting for a long while for Machamp to come back :pirate:

But, whenever that next game happens and Machamp can go back to SWSH in like, what, 2025, No Guard Fissure Machamp should finally be here!

Not sure if this is conclusive, but I moved a Rillaboom from SS with Grassy Glide into SV after this latest update and the HOME move relearner allowed me to reteach it Grassy Glide. This was after I had already reached Kitakami but before interacting with the TM Machine there and unlocking all of the new TMs. While not 100% conclusive, it suggests that you may not need to buy the DLC in order to reteach new TMs to Pokemon moving into SV. Perhaps someone without the DLC can test this to know for sure?

On another note, I tested something wholly inconsequential but that I was curious about. Knowing that this latest update would fix the issue with abilities not being kept between games, I took the proper steps that they had outlined in order to fix my Pokemon that were affected. Before the update, however, I used an Ability Capsule on a Kleavor from Legends to change its ability from Sheer Force to Swarm in SV and then sent it back to Legends until the update rolled out.

My guess was that Kleavor's ability in Legends would remain Sheer Force internally, which would be reflected post-update, and sure enough, I moved it back into HOME and its ability in SV is Sheer Force instead of Swarm. This means that its internal ability in Legends was taken into account even though it doesn't show it in that game. Like I said, it's not a significant thing in the slightest, but it was something that I was curious enough to test anyway.

Not sure if this is conclusive, but I moved a Rillaboom from SS with Grassy Glide into SV after this latest update and the HOME move relearner allowed me to reteach it Grassy Glide. This was after I had already reached Kitakami but before interacting with the TM Machine there and unlocking all of the new TMs. While not 100% conclusive, it suggests that you may not need to buy the DLC in order to reteach new TMs to Pokemon moving into SV. Perhaps someone without the DLC can test this to know for sure?
You don't need the DLC for these situations since its now part of the legal moveset as part of the update that everyone had to download. It's not checking that you bought the DLC or have access to the TM

Home's latest update added a bunch of challenges that should have been there to begin with, like stuff with the paradoxes, the maushold forms, completing the Paldea dex. Hooray!

Too bad you have to drag everything back into the game to get them. Completed that Paldea Dex already and even got the crown? Didn't get the challenge. Have all the paradoxes just sitting there? Take them back out. Have the Mausholds? No you don't.

ACTUALLY ITS EVEN WORSE: They straight up don't work at all. I put the entire Paldea dex back in and got none of the challenges to trigger
The two trade challenges of the bunch (Iron Valiant/Roaring Moon and Iron Moth/Slither Wing) will still light up if you do those trades, but they won't count any copies of the trades that you did before the update.

The two trade challenges of the bunch (Iron Valiant/Roaring Moon and Iron Moth/Slither Wing) will still light up if you do those trades, but they won't count any copies of the trades that you did before the update.
Yeah it's nice at least those function as expected. Though I don't...think the game has a trade history in it (maybe tucked away somewhere?) so not surprsied at THAT requiring you do the trades again.

But here's another Home slip up I noticed: they added the 2 Ursaluna forms to the search as you'd figure...but they didn't label them properly. Both are simply "Ursaluna" rather than Ursaluna and Ursaluna (Blood Moon). Oops

QuentinQuonce

It's weird that you can't specify Unown forms on the GTS. You can request an Antique Polteageist, sure (I believe this is a recent change, however) but specificifying which one you'd like of a Pokemon with 28 unique forms? Nah, don't be silly.

Also, just noticed that my "completing Home without paying a penny" thread was cited on Bulbapedia (re Zarude being untradeable for a period). Well, that's nice.

Idk if it's of interest to anyone but me but it might be useful - either here or on there - to have a live list of Pokemon that are unable to be traded directly on Home. As far as I know for sure that's just Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos, and Galarian Moltres in their shiny forms; not sure if Zarude is now tradeable in all its forms or if some variants are still locked.

Seems like the Challenge issue was something that could be resolved server-side, went in today to pick up a GTS trade and saw that all of the "have these in home" challenges completed.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have now completely refinished my Home living dex - didn’t catch any mons (apart from Ogerpon and Ursaluna) on my initial playthrough on my secondary account. First completed living Kitakami Dex on the main account - minus Scarlet Exclusives who I transferred in (was incredibly lucky to find Conkeldurr, Golem and Dusknoir raids through my exploration of the region). Just went hunting for those Artisan Poltchageist and managed to catch two, one to evolve.

Something so amazingly satisfying about the completion. Though now I’m worried I have nothing to do but Raid Events again until Part 2 drops.

Perhaps I’ll end up buying Scarlet at some point so I’m not limited with exclusives.

No description available.

Right, that's probably enough to be going on with for the moment
You've mentioned your stock of Enamorus too, you should honestly take a bit to look through all those legends and see how many are legit

my guess: the ogerpons are probably more legit than not, the Enamorus 90% The Worst Hacks You've Ever Seen

QuentinQuonce

Oh I'm sure at least a few of them aren't legit but to be honest that's always the possibility when trading over GTS or Home. I dabble in the gen 4 and 5 GTS fairly often and I'm pretty sure 99% of the stuff in there is hacked.

I'm honestly not sure why I traded for so many beyond the fact that I just have a lot of shinies on Pokemon Go which have no other use. I doubt they'll be particularly wanted once the new DLC drops, I've noticed that Enamorus doesn't appear to be in as much demand as it used to be. Everyone just wants The New Thing

Oh I'm sure at least a few of them aren't legit but to be honest that's always the possibility when trading over GTS or Home. I dabble in the gen 4 and 5 GTS fairly often and I'm pretty sure 99% of the stuff in there is hacked.

I'm honestly not sure why I traded for so many beyond the fact that I just have a lot of shinies on Pokemon Go which have no other use. I doubt they'll be particularly wanted once the new DLC drops, I've noticed that Enamorus doesn't appear to be in as much demand as it used to be. Everyone just wants The New Thing
Tbh it may also be a issue of VGC utility. Ogerpon is very strong and having multiple means you dont need to constantly respec it any time you want to try a different variant.

Enamorous and Ursaluna on other hand may win the title of most overrated mons of this generation, both ending up having almost no usage and very little success despite people hyping cress luna as the new op thing.

Enamorus also just kept having the hack sites shove them onto wonder trade in SV, which is probably why they proliferate all over the GTS

Enamorus in particular sticks out to me just because they are the most populous, most obvious hacked on on Home's GTS. You can spot them basically a mile away and unfortuantely if you want a legit one, getting one is a crap shoot even if you ask for one.

Since other people are posting their opinions and experiences with Home in this thread, I might as well share my own.

Regarding Home on the whole, I have mixed feelings about it. I like the base concept of having extra storage for the games, as well as being able to use the GTS and Wonder Trade (though having them exclusive to a side-app is a mixed bag). I really like how Home has a free version, allowing you to use many of its features without having to pay (unlike Bank/Transporter, which only had a paid version). However, using Home can be very inconvenient. Since you can't have the mobile and Switch version open at the same time, and since there are some features which only exist in one version but not the other, it means you have to alternate between them. As for the National Dex, I think this just further proves that removing the National Dex from the games and putting it in side-apps instead was an awful decision. I have written some more in-depth thoughts about Home and the way it features the National Dex in an old post which can be found here.

As for my experiences with Home... there's one thing I really want to talk about. I guess I should have posted this back in June since that's when it actually happened, but better late than never.

Ever since it was first revealed that you could get an OC Magearna for completing the National Dex in Home, I had been interested in doing it. But I never got around to it in the past. Mainly due to the awful way the National Dex works in Home, forcing you to actually deposit every single Pokémon in Home in order for it to register them. Compare this to how it is done in Bank, where it just automatically adds the Pokédex data from the games you have connected (which isn't perfect either, but way less tedious). However, completing the National Dex in Home was something I often thought about doing. I was also interested in trying to do it without paying, inspired by a challenge by QuentinQuonce, who successfully did it in the past.

When Home and ScaVio became compatible earlier this year, I went back to Violet to complete my Paldea Dex. With transfers from Sword, Legends and Go, as well as using the GTS, I managed to register all of the Pokémon I was missing in just a few days. I also got my hands on Walking Wake and Iron Leaves, but it was not easy since those were highly valued. The "Home economy" has always been weird (though I suppose that's mostly a negative about the Pokémon fandom rather than Home itself, or the GTS). It also seems to have grown worse over the years. When I traded on the GTS back then, just a regular shiny wasn't enough to get what I wanted in some cases, which was almost shocking. Either way, I got both of these elusive Paradoxes after a while, as well as all the Scarlet Paradoxes with an English game origin, which was something I really wanted as well. Before I was done, I also added several more entries to my National Dex in Home by depositing Pokémon from Violet.

After this, I was supposed to be done. But I couldn't get my mind off the National Dex and the Magearna. With all the Pokémon I had added from Violet, and all the ones I had added from Sword and Legends in the past, I was only missing around 140-170 Pokémon in the National Dex. Could I actually complete it all without paying? Between Sword, Legends, Violet, Go, the GTS and Wonder Trade, I should be able to obtain most of the missing Pokémon... except for the Mythicals. They are required, and they can't be traded on the GTS, making them a huge block. I could just try and ask other players to let me borrow them just to get them added, either here on Smogon or on some other Pokémon site. But it felt so convoluted.

What was the other alternative? To do it the simple way and just pay for Home Premium for a month. That way, I could get everything I was missing from Gen 1-7 added instantly, while everything I was missing from Gen 8-9 could be obtained through Sword/Legends/Violet. I wasn't sure how the dex entries would get added with Bank, but I looked it up and found out that you just had to transfer one box to Home, then all dex entries from Bank would be added to Home. Seemed simple enough.

I thought it over, and since I value time more than money, I decided to do it that way. It is basically a "pay-to-win" situation, which I can't say I like. Some people claim that Home is overpriced, and maybe they are right, but after checking the prices for Home Preimum, one month wasn't all that expensive (to me at least). So I paid for one month of Premium, connected with Bank, sent over a box of random breeding leftovers, and the first part was over. Since I had all 807 Pokémon registered in Bank, everything from Gen 1-7 had now been added to Home.

I was still missing around 20 Pokémon from Gen 8-9 though. All of them could be caught in Violet, except for one - Nickit. I was too lazy to go back to get one in Sword, so instead, I got one from the GTS for a Froakie (which was along the Pokémon I had sent over from Bank). I then went to Violet and got the rest there, deposited them in Bank and... 1010 Pokémon registered! I had my OC Magearna!

I didn't take a photo of it when I got it in Home, have an image from Violet instead.

It will not be just a trophy as I'm planning to train it for a future legendary/mythical team once the Indigo Disk has been released.

I guess that's my thoughts on Pokémon Home. It works, and it has some good features... but every time I use it, I am reminded of how awful it is. Looking back, I think that it was a huge mistake to make generations transfers require an online connection. Making the National Dex exclusive to apps was a terrible decision. And Home is the reason dexit is so awful in the first place.

Now I have finally gotten this off my chest. Thanks for reading.

QuentinQuonce

I was literally just thinking of making something like this, but someone on Reddit has put together a useful spreadsheet detailing every gift/prize/trade Pokemon in the games pre- and post-Switch era. Very useful if, like me, you were thinking about mass-transferring some of those Pokemon before the eventual Bank shutdown. I actually was thinking of catching a bunch of Pokespot Pokemon from XD since despite otherwise being fairly unremarkable they have the nifty little "fateful encounter" tag in later generations, making them somewhat notable to collectors.

Credit: greenpangolin on Reddit

I was literally just thinking of making something like this, but someone on Reddit has put together a useful spreadsheet detailing every gift/prize/trade Pokemon in the games pre- and post-Switch era. Very useful if, like me, you were thinking about mass-transferring some of those Pokemon before the eventual Bank shutdown. I actually was thinking of catching a bunch of Pokespot Pokemon from XD since despite otherwise being fairly unremarkable they have the nifty little "fateful encounter" tag in later generations, making them somewhat notable to collectors.

Credit: greenpangolin on Reddit
It's missing the in-game trade mons of the Japanese Blue version, despite listing the Game Corner prizes exclusive to the same game. They're all almost entirely different from Japan's Red/Green and our Red/Blue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)