Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
That's a custom title and is limited to badgeholders or certain contest winners, or Smogon Discord nitro boosters.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Also one more thing, how do you guys have the quote under your username? That looks really cool to have!
Unfortunately you can only get it (the custom title) if you have a badge. Badges are rewarded for distinctly valuable contribution to the community over a sustained period of time.

Hi, I'm returning to Pokémon after a long hiatus.

In Gen 7 I had completed my all-ribbon Pokémon (excepting the GCN purification ribbons, which were impossible for my chosen Pokémon to get), and although I didn't think I wanted to return to the series, the coming 3DS and later Bank internet shutdown galvanized me to getting my ribbon Pokémon onto Home in order that they wouldn't become "extinct."

I also want to get the newer ribbons, however, and that's what this comes to: one ribbon, the Master Rank Ribbon, requires playing against other players in the Ranked Battle system to acquire. It's also just in Sword and Shield, evidently, a set of games somewhat older now.

Is it going to be possible for me to get enough matches to get that ribbon on 4 Pokémon? If it's totally desolate, is it possible for a friend to just get on the Ranked Battle system and sort of supply me with random matches? Or is that a misunderstanding of how the system works?

Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: I also noticed several years ago my avatar changed from a picture of Mew smoking a blunt to a small Pokémon sprite. Was there a reason for that? If it's not offensive I was thinking of putting the avatar back up.

Last edited:
Hello, I feel that the order in which some Pokemon's sets are listed on the Smogon Dex can lead to unnecessary confusion. When someone new to the uses the site for the first time and looks up their favorite Pokemon, they will probably assume that the first set listed is the best or most common set for that particular Pokemon. However, for some Pokemon this simply isn't the case, for example, the Dragapult set that is listed first is its Light Clay set or Meowscarada's first being its Sash Lead set. In both of these cases the respective Pokemon's Specs and Band sets (or even Boots for both) are the more prominent set. I think by having these listed higher up will paint a better picture of how these Pokemon and are the best sets to plug and play with for new players if they are making a team. Now that being said, I don't know how you could objectively decide which set is the most important for each and I would also like to apologize if this is in fact already being worked on during the post-Home update.

Also also, one more semi-related question, why are the Balloon and Cloak/Boots sets for Gholdengo separate if they are all the same other than the item?

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
*question about in game system*
Try reposting your question in this thread. It's the simple questions thread for Orange Islands, which is the part of Smogon where people talk about main series game stuff like Ribbons/Home/Breeding/etc. It's likely that someone who reads that thread will have the answer, even if nobody who reads this thread does.

EDIT: I also noticed several years ago my avatar changed from a picture of Mew smoking a blunt to a small Pokémon sprite. Was there a reason for that? If it's not offensive I was thinking of putting the avatar back up.
The software that Smogon runs internally has changed a few times and profile pictures weren't carried over during the changes. All good to change it back.

Lasen

pleading and afraid
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello, I feel that the order in which some Pokemon's sets are listed on the Smogon Dex can lead to unnecessary confusion. When someone new to the uses the site for the first time and looks up their favorite Pokemon, they will probably assume that the first set listed is the best or most common set for that particular Pokemon. However, for some Pokemon this simply isn't the case, for example, the Dragapult set that is listed first is its Light Clay set or Meowscarada's first being its Sash Lead set. In both of these cases the respective Pokemon's Specs and Band sets (or even Boots for both) are the more prominent set. I think by having these listed higher up will paint a better picture of how these Pokemon and are the best sets to plug and play with for new players if they are making a team. Now that being said, I don't know how you could objectively decide which set is the most important for each and I would also like to apologize if this is in fact already being worked on during the post-Home update.
Usually, the sets are mostly in terms of importance. However, as the disclaimer in most analyses says, the analyses on the website are outdated and are being reworked, so there's a good chance that the sets that were "finished" got uploaded in rapid succession and left as is without too much thought until the metagame settles down a lil' bit; you can see that this is true in almost every single old gen and lower tier where things tend to be more stable once they freeze from a generation passing (don't look at SS OU analyses- they just aren't there!).

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Usually, the sets are mostly in terms of importance. However, as the disclaimer in most analyses says, the analyses on the website are outdated and are being reworked, so there's a good chance that the sets that were "finished" got uploaded in rapid succession and left as is without too much thought until the metagame settles down a lil' bit; you can see that this is true in almost every single old gen and lower tier where things tend to be more stable once they freeze from a generation passing (don't look at SS OU analyses- they just aren't there!).
(Or if they’re there they’re horrifyingly outdated and incorrect lol)

Can the Clear Amulet prevent Spectral Thief's conditions in NatDex?

I tried to post this in the NatDex thread but it said I had insufficient privileges to reply there.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
could you please make the forum rules more specific?

some of them can easily be missinterpretated.

for example the part where you forbid "doubleposting".
you are not explaining at all what "doubleposting" even means.
at first glance it looks as if we are banned from posting the same comments twice in a row or posting the same comments in multyple parts of the forums.
it turns out that we are banned from posting two comments in a row.

and the ban on "junior modding" is not very clear.
are we banned from asking the modderators to punish someone? are we banned from telling someone that they broke the rule and should delete their comment?are we banned from something else?(I really am not sure what is junior modding).

and what exactly are the admin reports suppossed to be?how do we do them?
are we allowed to do them on situations aside from being asked our personal info from an admin?

My avatar keeps resetting to the default every few hours without my involvement. I am not logging off or clearing the browsing history, cache or cookies. It seems to happen regardless of what device I am on. Can someone give me an explanation of why this is happening?

I want to create a discussion post on the smogon forums, but I'm not so sure how to go forth. Can anyone help me with this? This is the context for my question:

I want to start a discussion on what the best generation to play competitive pokemon is, and the reason why I want to discuss this is because I want to provoke forth a discussion on the entire structure of Showdown, like how it is formed by the most recent generation, and whether or not this is something that should be changed. What do you think would be the appropriate subforum to post in?

As you probably see by the structure of my writing, I haven't made my own mind up on much here, and that is partially why I want to create some discussion on the topic!

My avatar keeps resetting to the default every few hours without my involvement. I am not logging off or clearing the browsing history, cache or cookies. It seems to happen regardless of what device I am on. Can someone give me an explanation of why this is happening?
Just tagging on to this to say I've also had this problem for quite some time. After a while, my "chat self selected" avatar changes back to the one i previously clicked on in the default list. If the avatar is selected from the default list, it remains - but if not, it doesn't.

any ideas what is causing this/ how to fix it. I know the servers aren't down as I asked a friend to see if he could get on. I've tried different browsers and different devices and nothing works

1698418525580.png

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Why is the ability to "leave" reactions on profile posts disabled?
Profile posts do not add messages onto your message count for the forum so there's no need to add reacts that don't count their either.

Iirc Messages in conversations don't add to your message either, however, Reacts are allowed in this instance for what I assume to be a way of voting. This has come in handy for different things such as identifying support for an idea within said conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)