Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

why? like why specifically you have to be some kind of contributor or win a tournament?
To my understanding, Showdown just wasn't built with custom avatars in mind, so any time one gets added, the devs have to do so manually. Obviously having to manually add avatars for every single user would be an insane amount of work on the devs, so it gets reserved for special occasions.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
why? like why specifically you have to be some kind of contributor or win a tournament?
I was talking to someone about this ago when an admin replied with something along the lines of "we want to reward contributors for their effort at making ps/smogon more accessible (translations), helping new players (analysis/article), making the site more beautiful (artists), or being there to make sure everything doesn't go to pot (staff)"
I probably missed a few tasks but general jist is to reward people for helping to make site/community better

as for tour winners its to motivate people/give them a token of a memory (probably)

Could someone direct me to smogon’s current trade thread? I am looking for an event shiny tapu bulu as I have the other 3 tapus at level 60 but not event shiny tapu bulu, I just want to complete the set before GTS trading ends in April 2024. I do have shiny Pokémon if anyone wants any. Thank you so much in advance.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Could someone direct me to smogon’s current trade thread? I am looking for an event shiny tapu bulu as I have the other 3 tapus at level 60 but not event shiny tapu bulu, I just want to complete the set before GTS trading ends in April 2024. I do have shiny Pokémon if anyone wants any. Thank you so much in advance.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/wi-fi.53/ this is the subforum where most trading happens, as i understand theres not so much one singular trade thread as a variety of trade threads individuals have made

I was talking to someone about this ago when an admin replied with something along the lines of "we want to reward contributors for their effort at making ps/smogon more accessible (translations), helping new players (analysis/article), making thei site more beautiful (artists), or being there to make sure everything doesn't go to pot (staff)"
I probably missed a few tasks but general jist is to reward people for helping to make site/community better

as for tour winners its to motivate people/give them a token of a memory (probably)
so if that's the case, why don't they try advertising on the PS/Smogon Forums that they need more artists?

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
so if that's the case, why don't they try advertising on the PS/Smogon Forums that they need more artists?
I can't speak to this as I'm not in charge of policy but I assume its a bad look to ask someone to work for free. To anticipate your next question, the "getting paid" conversation usually happens once a year among badgeholders and nothing ever comes of it

Its typically not slave labor (if that's what your saying) if the person knows what they're gonna get from it, which is recognition around PS and Smogon and maybe a new rank? (this: $ can be the rank) I haven't really read enough but im pretty sure its not illegal to ask people to work for a community, that's basically volunteering
I can't speak to this as I'm not in charge of policy but I assume its a bad look to ask someone to work for free. To anticipate your next question, the "getting paid" conversation usually happens once a year among badgeholders and nothing ever comes of it

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Its typically not slave labor (if that's what your saying) if the person knows what they're gonna get from it, which is recognition around PS and Smogon and maybe a new rank? (this: $ can be the rank) I haven't really read enough but im pretty sure its not illegal to ask people to work for a community, that's basically volunteering
bluntly, exposure isnt gonna pay the rent.

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
Hey! Where within the https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ root may I find stats for mons for older generations? I.e. something like Alakazam's stats being set to:

{
  • hp: 55,
  • atk: 50,
  • def: 45,
  • spa: 135,
  • spd: 85,
  • spe: 120
},
instead of the below for later gens
{
  • spd: 95,
}
Many thanks

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hey! Where within the https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ root may I find stats for mons for older generations? I.e. something like Alakazam's stats being set to:

{
},
{
}
Many thanks
If you want to check what their stat is in a certain gen, type /dtx mon in a chat room. For example, /dt6 alakazam

Alternatively stats are correct in the teambuilder if you select the right gen as the format for the team you’re building

I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for but it’s something. Pretty sure a list of stat changes and when they happened is on Bulbapedia anyway

{
},
{
}
Many thanks
Do you mean in github? If so, here: https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-s...3c639e2d2bd86e5/data/mods/gen5/pokedex.ts#L96

For this specific case, anyway, it'd vary on the mon and when the stat changes took effect. but that shouuuld direct you roughly to the right place for everything

EDIT: https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown/tree/843f5ffe0b47c204b3bfbfd7c3c639e2d2bd86e5/data/mods >> if you click on "gen#" you'll get the stats for said generation in case you need that

Last edited:

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
I mean it’s really a philosophical question isn’t? What is more important, the work that is done or the recognition that is received? Seems to me that Smogon values the sweat on the brow of the Firebot Lab workers more than any Luvdisc, Bellsprout, or Alomomola. I asked Mr. chaos himself his thoughts on the matter and he replied “even without success, creative persons find joy in a post well done. Posting for its own sake is rewarding.”

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The global forum rules are saying that we are not allowed to do "junior-modding",
What even IS junior-moding?

Am I forbidden from saying to people "you aren't allowed to do that"?
Am I forbidden from doing something else?

Explain to me this vague rule please.
Junior Modding / Mini-Modding is essentially users who are not forum moderators telling other users what they can or cannot do depending on the rules of the subforum since it's essentially the moderators job to handle that stuff. If you see something wrong it's best to use the 'Report' button and a moderator will figure it out.

I can't say it's forbidden (probably not recommended) because I haven't personally seen anyone get infracted for mini-modding (I could be a one off case though).

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Umm just a question :)

I go into RMTs and say: I'll rate this, but you need 6 mons! Come back and I'll rate it.

Does the above count as mini-modding? Will I get in trouble?
In my opinion (while I am not forum staff of course), it wouldn’t get you into trouble whatsoever. The users' should be aware of the forum-specific rules and any other differences. Since the RMT forum also has a large banner at the top saying CLICK ME TO READ RULES etc. Although if you are really worried about it; private messaging the relevant forum moderation team / leader is also a good way too.

just used the RMT as the example :)

Last edited:
Are there any tourneys relating to SV OU that I can sign up for right now? and For battling 101, how long does it take for a tutor to get to you? I've had nothing in my nonifications box after a week.

Bbbbbbbballer!!!!

Banned deucer.
Really small detail in the showdown ui ive noticed, dont know where to put it so im putting it here, but when using a pixelate mon like sylveon, when you pick your move normal type attacking moves like hyper beam show up as fairy type moves, but status moves like yawn do not. While this may seem irrelevant, and 99% of the time it is, there are times where the game treats these moves as fairy moves and not normal moves in a situation where that actually does matter. For example, normally when you plasma fists with zera a mon right before it uses yawn, you actually volt absorb the yawn, because the game treats it as a normal type attack. However when this happens with a pixelate mon, the game treats yawn as a fairy type move and it doesnt get volt absorbed by zera after pf. But the ui still shows it as normal type. So yeah basically just a small inconsistency i noticed while playing that iw anted to takk about. Doesnt rly matter but i mean what if someone wanted to use sylveon to yawn a plasma fisting zeraora but doesnt cuz he thinks it will get volt absorbed by being a normal type move getting pfed so but then he wouldve won if he yawned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)