Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

I have tried to find a place to ask for Gen 6 DOU battles on PS. My PMs are open anyways, especially for Gen 6 DOU games. However, I was directed to a discord server for Smogon Doubles. for several days, I have not been allowed to enter the room and I dont see anyone else present getting a reply. so, where on the forums itself can I get a Gen 6 DOU?

I have got one suggestion for the forums:
introduce a thread on the forums where you tell the players some obscure details that are not immediately obvious.

for example, right now the pokemon dipplin can use eviolite, I didn't know that it could do that until some youtuber pointed it out.

also the people that run pokemon showdown either forget or simply don't have time to write the effects of some newly introduced moves, when walking wake was introduced, there wasn't any text next to hydro stream saying that it gets boosted by the sun.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have got one suggestion for the forums:
introduce a thread on the forums where you tell the players some obscure details that are not immediately obvious.

for example, right now the pokemon dipplin can use eviolite, I didn't know that it could do that until some youtuber pointed it out.

also the people that run pokemon showdown either forget or simply don't have time to write the effects of some newly introduced moves, when walking wake was introduced, there wasn't any text next to hydro stream saying that it gets boosted by the sun.
I am not sure of the first point but the second point can be looked up again on PS! As shown below:
IMG_4572.jpeg

Often times we need to have patience and appreciation for those who work on PS! and other beneficial tools for us to use. We can't expect a new Pokémon, moves, and items to be instantly updated etc.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Beyond what was stated above, the best place for new mechanics is the mechanics research thread, which is created each generation and remains fairly up to date with various discoveries. Things like Hydro Steam mechanics and Eviolite working on Dipplin were both shared there very soon after release of each.

As a general note for people discovering this thread for the first time, before asking questions about a mechanic please search the thread to see if it's already been answered and keep in mind that testing something on showdown is not a valid source for mechanics, mechanics need to be tested on cartridge for verification.

I am not sure of the first point but the second point can be looked up again on PS! As shown below:
View attachment 578029
Often times we need to have patience and appreciation for those who work on PS! and other beneficial tools for us to use. We can't expect a new Pokémon, moves, and items to be instantly updated etc.
when walking wake was introduced there wasn't any text next to hydro stream.
that text was added later on.
I am pretty sure that I made that clear.
I wanted an explanation to exist from the very first day of its introduction.
Beyond what was stated above, the best place for new mechanics is the mechanics research thread, which is created each generation and remains fairly up to date with various discoveries. Things like Hydro Steam mechanics and Eviolite working on Dipplin were both shared there very soon after release of each.

As a general note for people discovering this thread for the first time, before asking questions about a mechanic please search the thread to see if it's already been answered and keep in mind that testing something on showdown is not a valid source for mechanics, mechanics need to be tested on cartridge for verification.
I didn't know what this existed, thanks.

Purely out of curiosity, is there a running list of the most-liked or most-reacted-to posts on the forums? definitely not because i'm curious if the Lavos post is the most liked

I was reading the terms of use and privacy policy but had some questions about the abuse policy. It says:

'If our services are abused (such as our forum being spammed), we reserve the right to use your IP address to contact your Internet Service Provider's abuse department.'

I have a few questions about what this means:

1. What does this even mean? If I accidentally post something that the mods happen to find offensive, which could be so many different things, will the mods try to contact my ISP and get my internet plan terminated? I checked and my ISP only has a 'scam department,' not a specific 'spam department.' How does reporting abuse to the ISP actually work?

2. What's stopping mods from falsely reporting users? If they can see IP addresses and others don't know if they've looked them up, nothing seems to prevent mods from falsely labeling someone as abusive. As a normal user, how do I know I won't get falsely reported?

3. Do other sites have similar abuse policies? If you violate a site's rules, will they actively try to get your ISP involved? I haven't seen other sites mention contacting ISPs. Is this approach unique to this forum, or do other sites also reserve this right?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I was reading the terms of use and privacy policy but had some questions about the abuse policy. It says:

'If our services are abused (such as our forum being spammed), we reserve the right to use your IP address to contact your Internet Service Provider's abuse department.'

I have a few questions about what this means:

1. What does this even mean? If I accidentally post something that the mods happen to find offensive, which could be so many different things, will the mods try to contact my ISP and get my internet plan terminated? I checked and my ISP only has a 'scam department,' not a specific 'spam department.' How does reporting abuse to the ISP actually work?

2. What's stopping mods from falsely reporting users? If they can see IP addresses and others don't know if they've looked them up, nothing seems to prevent mods from falsely labeling someone as abusive. As a normal user, how do I know I won't get falsely reported?

3. Do other sites have similar abuse policies? If you violate a site's rules, will they actively try to get your ISP involved? I haven't seen other sites mention contacting ISPs. Is this approach unique to this forum, or do other sites also reserve this right?
This policy is certainly referring to spambots. If you’re a human, which you demonstrably are, you’re fine.

If you’re a human who’s mistaken for a spambot that’s probably on you.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I want to suggest a dark mode for the main website (smogon forums already has dark mode, I know.)
I just want to read the Flying Press article, but I can't. It burns my eyes.
this is not something that can happen, a lot of articles tend to have a decent amount of custom styling that would not be compatible with light and dark modes at the same time; only reason it's feasible for forums and dex is bc unlike articles they follow set templates for everything. similarly, artists would have to make sure their illustrations work properly on both light and dark mode (e.g. an image with a white background that's not even noticeable on light mode would look horribly out of place on a dark mode, and transparent backgrounds would need to make sure the images don't risk blending into either default background too much), which is just not a reasonable thing to ask them for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)