US Regional Qualifier - Dallas, TX, May 29, 2010 - WON BY JGILES

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I must say, this metagame has become way too stagnant for my taste. The fact that you are more or less required to use two ubers (let's face it, they have great bulk/power relative to other pokemon) eats up half of your teamslots, which then limits what strategies you can run. When TopOgre dominates that easily, I see a problem in the centralization of the metagame.

Anyways, congratulations to whoever won, and sorry to teej who lost to a bad hacker.
Actually, the problem is people's lack of brains. They can't make their own fucking team, so they copy someone else's.

Note: I do not have a problem with copying a team or having one given to you, as I have done the same thing. I do, however, think it's bullshit that 484086496849689 people have to copy someone else's team.

Actually, the problem is people's lack of brains. They can't make their own fucking team, so they copy someone else's.

Note: I do not have a problem with copying a team or having one given to you, as I have done the same thing. I do, however, think it's bullshit that 484086496849689 people have to copy someone else's team.
Practice what you preach. And I think this VGC and the last VGC proved that you do NOT need two ubers to do well in these tournaments... although it is highly recommended.

Practice what you preach. And I think this VGC and the last VGC proved that you do NOT need two ubers to do well in these tournaments... although it is highly recommended.
Okay, I'll bite as far as this year being something of an example as to how you don't necessarily need two ubers. However, how does last year's VGC prove anything? Ubers weren't even allowed.

Eh, 2 ubers is overrated :P

In all seriousness though, use what you're given to use. If I could have found a way to use 2 ubers, I sure would have lol. And it's not like copying teams is a horrible idea, granted it's a tad uncreative, but decks are netdecked continually in TCGs, so really it's not like it's anything new. Instead, that's just more incentive to prepare against what you expect to see.

Eh, 2 ubers is overrated :P

In all seriousness though, use what you're given to use. If I could have found a way to use 2 ubers, I sure would have lol. And it's not like copying teams is a horrible idea, granted it's a tad uncreative, but decks are netdecked continually in TCGs, so really it's not like it's anything new. Instead, that's just more incentive to prepare against what you expect to see.
From Bluecookies "Amen"

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I believe I said I didn't have a problem giving people a team or some Pokemon, or with copying someone else's - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69209 was also given to me for Ubers laddering. In my case, I've done it for maybe 4 people - Sidd's cousin (who won SF Juniors), JRank, ipl (who also got stuff from mattj), and LonelyNess. In 3 of those 4 cases, they either made their own team or already had one in mind. Sidd's cousin was given a choice of two teams and chose mine.

My team has been public knowledge for quite some time, as I posted it in RMT...and have been using it for months. It was mainly posted as a guideline for people who wanted to make their team, as it was finalized before dates were ever announced. I may have gotten the Pokemon from someone else, but the idea for that team was all my own. I didn't copy it from a video or a thread on an internet forum, even if the idea for it originated from one of those.

At any rate, I'd be saying the same exact things if someone copied my team after I won the first Regional. What does copying someone else's team prove? Wow, you got handed a regional win you likely don't get otherwise.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Alright... I got t32 but there was ridiculous teams like hippodown/solrock/regirock/ttar :/

So seeing as my name got failed to be posted anywhere for results, i will tell them. I lost in the 4th round (right before finalists lounge) on a dumb mistake first turn against a dv smeargle, should have won. Something seemed fishy about the team, but once again I was stupid and didn't call hack check. The person went on the the finalist area and I believe failed the hack check meaning that I should have won. Eh, it was dumb mistakes all around for me in that span of 10 min, but whatever, it happens. After watching the finalists videos I realized that my team perfectly countered most of the teams being showed, including the winning team. I will post a warstory later. Thanks for all who were cheering for me. I'm sorry that my stupid mistakes kept me from making it. I don't even know if I can attend LCQ now. My family is saying that it is stupid to drive so far for pokemon. Any suggestions to help my case. Ive already pulled the last chance to bond with my brother before college. Anyone got more?

@Werecario that sucks that you where playing against someone with hacked stuff, i stood in line 2 hours behind some kid who kept offering me a wonder guard charizard with volt tackle... i got very lucky myself to face all legit teams...

I believe I said I didn't have a problem giving people a team or some Pokemon, or with copying someone else's - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69209 was also given to me for Ubers laddering. In my case, I've done it for maybe 4 people - Sidd's cousin (who won SF Juniors), JRank, ipl (who also got stuff from mattj), and LonelyNess. In 3 of those 4 cases, they either made their own team or already had one in mind. Sidd's cousin was given a choice of two teams and chose mine.

My team has been public knowledge for quite some time, as I posted it in RMT...and have been using it for months. It was mainly posted as a guideline for people who wanted to make their team, as it was finalized before dates were ever announced. I may have gotten the Pokemon from someone else, but the idea for that team was all my own. I didn't copy it from a video or a thread on an internet forum, even if the idea for it originated from one of those.

At any rate, I'd be saying the same exact things if someone copied my team after I won the first Regional. What does copying someone else's team prove? Wow, you got handed a regional win you likely don't get otherwise.
Sorry Cossack, that's my bad. I misread.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So seeing as my name got failed to be posted anywhere for results, i will tell them. I lost in the 4th round (right before finalists lounge) on a dumb mistake first turn against a dv smeargle, should have won. Something seemed fishy about the team, but once again I was stupid and didn't call hack check. The person went on the the finalist area and I believe failed the hack check meaning that I should have won. Eh, it was dumb mistakes all around for me in that span of 10 min, but whatever, it happens. After watching the finalists videos I realized that my team perfectly countered most of the teams being showed, including the winning team. I will post a warstory later. Thanks for all who were cheering for me. I'm sorry that my stupid mistakes kept me from making it. I don't even know if I can attend LCQ now. My family is saying that it is stupid to drive so far for pokemon. Any suggestions to help my case. Ive already pulled the last chance to bond with my brother before college. Anyone got more?
i was wondering what happened to you. if your family thinks its stupid to drive so far for "pokemon" then just tell them what "pokemon" means to you, not to mention all the smogonites you will meet there, thats part of the event too hehe. but all in all just remeber its a yearly thing so you will have more chances in the future no matter what. i most likely wont be going to nationals so i know all about the whole "there is always next year" crap but ehhh whatcha gonna do.

Good games to everyone (especially first place guy whose name escapes me). This is Perry (2nd place guy). Sorry about dropping the ball in the finals. I fell on the wrong end of that 50/50 mixup on turn 1 and got wrecked.

I will make one tonight. I'm at my girlfriends house. Its not out of the question yet to go, and I am one of the best manipulators of people when it comes to trying to get my way lol. Just wondering, did anyone see a team of dark void smeargle, dialga, mewtwo and blissy in the finals? I didn't see the guy or this team, and I think I saw the guy walk away after talking to someone at the desk of finalists lounge. Anyway, I dont mind loosing to a legit team, but since it was hacked, i think, it bothers me. Eh whatever. Good job to everyone that was there, it was a lot of fun!

WAIT IVE SEEN THAT BEFORE isn't exactly how you spell my forum username, but I guess it's my fault for not being very active. War story coming soon, with videos and commentary for at least top 32 onward.

drcossack, copying someone else's team doesn't mean anything, except that that person recognizes a good team when he sees one. Zerowing made an excellent team, but it's not like anyone could just take a team and spam moves. I worked on a lot of different teams in the past months, but after seeing Zerowing's in action, I had to try it out.

As I said above, war story coming, and I will explain how I came to using Zerowing's team.

So I’m new here and all – someone at the Dallas tournament suggested I check this out … I read some comments, and debated even wasting the time to respond – but enough comments rubbed me the wrong way enough to respond… Now I hate to sound hostile to a new community that has many members (from those I met earlier today) that could be great people to talk with, but there is a level of arrogance and contempt in several posts that really have to be addressed.

@Tyler422 “Alright... I got t32 but there was ridiculous teams like hippodown/solrock/regirock/ttar :/”

The team wasn’t ridiculous. It was clever, unique, and completely what you canned team fans weren’t expecting. I went to the top 8 without a legendary beast to show – and I did it on purpose. Every move selection EV and IV was calculated and implemented the exact strategy I wanted. If you think it was ridiculous – it is you that fails to understand the team.

@drcossack “Actually, the problem is people's lack of brains. They can't make their own fucking team, so they copy someone else's.”
Actually I made my own – completely unique “breaking all the rules” and made top 8 uber free. My reward was to be called “ridiculous” (see above) and “not that good” (see below). It is no wonder the metagame is so predictable with lack of originality around every corner.
@zerowing “a Solrock/Ttar/Regirock/Nidoqueen made top 8”
Nidoqueen was not on my team …

@jumpluff Hope the Rock-type user goes to Nats :D
Yes – I will be at Nationals. Though, I am fairly certain I will be running something completely fresh and different (unless all the jeers of lucky matchups make me run it again just to prove a point).
@feathers interesting to know what was going on with that one.
Secret sauce … a lot of carefully thought out strategies – it was running multiple team strategies simultaneously. I am guessing that one of the recordings of the top 8 match I blew will make it to youtube and some of its tricks will be disclosed.
@Wildfire “That solrock team muct be lucky. No ubers and weak to water and ground. You would think a kyogre could take down the solrock team.”
@Firestorm He just had amazing luck with matchups I assume. He wasn't very good from what I heard about the match he lost.

(to both Wildfire and Firestorm) Actually you would think it was luck – and you would be wrong. I hit your canned top/ogre teams. I hit ghosts (even though it was utilizing some BOOM!) I hit Groudons. I just outplayed the bad match-ups. I knew what they would do – predicted it and ran with it. Oh yeah – and I caught a lot of people off guard by going against the grain. I spent months designing and tweaking the team to run against a metagame field with legendaries – oooh 16 pokemon to prep for – how hard is that … that’s why I used poke’s you all don’t play regularly and that is the secret to how I disrupted the meta… but feel free to believe it was lucky matchups. You have an entire site of knowledge and people working together – and that is great. I had me, my best friend, and 9 year old daughter (who was a World’s competitor in juniors last year). Every player that smiled when they saw rock and felt they were gonna own me thought they had the lucky matchup.
Regarding the final match that I lost … completely my fault, completely my mistake. Though your comment makes it sound like I was pwnd in some way … to set the record – it was my Hippo and Ttar against his 1/2 life Top. I could have EQ’d and RS’d and no matter which he hit with mach punch he was going to die. I had it won, and I clicked the wrong move using crunch instead of a follow-up EQ) – like a wideout turning to run without holding the ball. I blew it. Of course had I not, you would be sitting here talking about the ridiculous lucky jerk who somehow – through miracles and deals with the devil managed to make it to the top 4. This is nothing against the guy who beat me. I want to take nothing from his victory – I screwed up, but he played well and was calm and cool even when he thought I had it locked. His composure won the match and I enjoyed the battle.

@drcossack “Actually, the problem is people's lack of brains. They can't make their own fucking team, so they copy someone else's.”
Actually I made my own – completely unique “breaking all the rules” and made top 8 uber free. My reward was to be called “ridiculous” (see above) and “not that good” (see below). It is no wonder the metagame is so predictable with lack of originality around every corner.
I'm pretty sure drcossack was referring to the top/ogre combo that won it all. In any case, congrats. I love it when people use teams that no one expects. No ubers at all is something to be proud of for sure. Looking forward to seeing you at nats.

And congrats to jgiles for winning it all! Looking forward to the warstory.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had it won, and I clicked the wrong move using crunch instead of a follow-up EQ
The reason I said you lucked out on your way there was because I'd heard you used Crunch on Tyranitar. I look forward to your warstory to see how you got past all the Kyogres and stuff.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I'm defintely interested in hearing the details about your team if you're willing to write about it. Also you can't really blame people who don't know how your teams works for thinking you were winning through luck. You run no ubers and ton of Water weakness. A lot of people aren't going to get that your team actually works without an explination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)