Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Hey, does anyone have worries about the story?

For me, it's the possibility Sada/Turo won't do much of note in the game, kinda like Professor Magnolia in SwSh.
We have seen zero updates or new footage involving Sada/Turo, so I'm afraid this translates to either having almost no role in the narrative.
Speaking personally, I'm not fond of the idea of them being antagonists, but I thought they can have a unique (or at least important and interesting) role in the games.

Hey, does anyone have worries about the story?

For me, it's the possibility Sada/Turo won't do much of note in the game, kinda like Professor Magnolia in SwSh.
We have seen zero updates or new footage involving Sada/Turo, so I'm afraid this translates to either having almost no role in the narrative.
Speaking personally, I'm not fond of the idea of them being antagonists, but I thought they can have a unique (or at least important and interesting) role in the games.
Aside from Kukui (and to a lesser extent Sycamor) you basically never see the professor again after leaving their lab in basically all Pokémon games.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, now having a better visual of the coins in the chest, I notice on the "heads" side (assuming the "tails" side of the coin is where the Poke Ball logo is usually placed in the Pokemon World) that there's two distinguishable parts of the design:

1. In the center is a hexagon, which is a shape that has been associated with Terastallizing, notably the gem on the headband of the crown (you know, the gem which has the pair of glaring eyes on it).

2. Surrounding the hexagon is a what looks to be a laurel wreath. The laurel wreath is a symbol dating all the way back to ancient Greece, it was a symbol of Apollo and symbolized "victory". Thus it's a popular symbol for major competitions (usually as a frame rather then centerpiece), though in ancient times was also used for military victories.

So, a laurel wreath around a hexagon in this case could mean: (1) if these are meant to be taken as ancient coins than they could mean a victory was achieved via Terastallization and the coins were minted in their honor. Or (2) if these are modern day coins they could be something related to either the Paldean Pokemon League or another competition in Paldea (or possibly the Academy's Treasure Hunt) which involves Terastallizing Pokemon as its main focus, the coins minted as a token to be used in someway during it (such as participants of the competition are given a coin to show they are a part of it or a wanna-be competitor would have to get their hands on one so they can submit an entry into it).

I guess we also shouldn't avoid the "tails" side as it's not just the Poke Ball logo. It also has three dots above and below the logo and in the middle there are three connected loops. Altogether it kind of looks like a face not dissimilar from a Bronzor's (which also has a leaf symbol on its back):
BronzorOddCoin.png

Whether Bronzor will have anything to do with this we'll see soon enough. As or writing the chest has 959 coins in it, and each time there was a "9" it had a gold background, and with only 3 digits the max is going to be 999.

The chest itself isn't that noteworthy (though for some reason they gave us a view of the back) except for the seal. The seal looks similar to the loops in the middle of the coin's Tail side, though turned horizontal, the middle "loop" is now the bigger one, the two "loops" below and above are filled in solid, and at the top there's a bar it touches. Are these meant to be associated symbols? Different symbols that just so happen to share a similar shape? Am I looking too hard into this (this, probably this)?

EDIT: Okay, so while typing this a new update occured!

There's now a hidden "four" tab, clicking on it will show an animation of the chest's bottom and top half separating, held together by the backstrap. In addition, when clicking around, a strange noise which sounds like a Pokemon cry (along with a scatter of coins) will be heard (along with the screen going black for a second). Said cry doesn't sound like one we heard I don't think, definitely doesn't sound like a Bronzor.

So, the chest is possibly a Pokemon?

Also, Serebii has mentioned the creepy new Pokemon and ???? coins which Gold PokeStops have been giving were confirmed to become a lot rarer.

Last edited:
Gimmieghoul would have been a much cooler reveal for Halloween than Greavard, but maybe the coordination with Pogo necessitated it be pushed back.

Not looking forward to collecting to 999 coins for this thing. Hope it's easy enough to grind.

Neat that we can catch the roaming form in Pogo, though not sure if it'll be any use, other than maybe accruing coins to send back to SV.

So far the individual mon reveals for this generation have been pretty unique and interesting with more buildup and uses of multimedia, and even this close to release we're still getting surprises, with both a surprise event in GO and a mystery chest website on the weekend, and a video tying the two together with a spooky story. I like that they used GO for another canon crossover with a form about walking around the world and having Willow talk to another professor again as a character that's been around for a few generations now. Speaking of which, I think this is the same voice actor (Robbie Daymond) for Willow as the one in the Meltan videos with Oak back in LGPE.

The GO connectivity sounds like basically a save data bonus for GO to unlock roaming Gimmighoul, but it's still a neat tie in. If it's transferable, at least an exclusive alternate form is better than having to evolve Melmetal in GO. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to release in 2023.

I know that info on the site should be taken with a grain of salt but there it describes chest form as slow while roaming form is running around, so at least the speed wil be different but they don't look like mons with high attack or special attack, I don't think any will be very competitive. Chest will probably have a Toxapex-like stat distribution.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm curious if Gimmighoul's Roaming form will actually have a significant difference from Chest or if it'll just be like Rotom where it's unique but directly inferior most of the time.
I know that info on the site should be taken with a grain of salt but there it describes chest form as slow while roaming form is running around, so at least the speed wil be different but they don't look like mons with high attack or special attack, I don't think any will be very competitive. Chest will probably have a Toxapex-like stat distribution.
Actually, from what it sounds like, Roaming isn't going to be catchable at all. When you encounter a Roaming they give/leave coins behind which are then given to Chest. So I'm going to guess in order to get Chest you need to encounter a certain amount of Roaming to get their coin. It's like the Zygarde Cells and Cores.

Actually, from what it sounds like, Roaming isn't going to be catchable at all. When you encounter a Roaming they give/leave coins behind which are then given to Chest. So I'm going to guess in order to get Chest you need to encounter a certain amount of Roaming to get their coin. It's like the Zygarde Cells and Cores.
Roaming Form isn't catchable in Scarlet and Violet but it's very heavily hinted that it'll be catchable in GO.

"Surprisingly, Roaming Form Gimmighoul have been spotted in the world of Pokémon GO as well! It appears that Mr. Jacq—an expert on the biology of Pokémon in the Paldea region—and Professor Willow, who has been carrying out research alongside Trainers in the world of Pokémon GO, have joined forces to devise a way to catch them. Please wait for future announcements to hear all about their research results."​

And by "very heavily hinted" I mean "either it's catchable in GO or any plan they come up with to catch it fails, which would rather dampen the cross promotion".

Is there some mythological creature that Gimmighoul is based on? Because otherwise, its design outside of the treasure chest seems very... bland. The grey gingerbread man design seems weird, like why is it so generically humanoid? It feels like there are concepts would could have better evoked the concept of (treasure) hoarding, like a rodent or a mini-dragon or a leprechaun/fairy* or something. Or at least it could be given a more Ghosty vibe; it could be more wispy or have have tattered things or purple fog hanging off its body or something. I think that a Ghost-type that collects ancient coins is a cool concept, but I don't think the body design works well at all.

* These are humanoids, but they do have some specific features which can be used to both emphasize the concept more strongly and reducing the "human-ness" of the design overall.

Last edited:

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Tiering Contributor
Is there some mythological creature that Gimmighoul is based on? Because otherwise, its design outside of the treasure chest seems very... bland. The grey gingerbread man design seems weird, like why is it so generically humanoid? It feels like there are concepts would could have better evoked the concept of (treasure) hoarding, like a rodent or a mini-dragon or a leprechaun/fairy* or something. Or at least it could be given a more Ghosty vibe; it could be more wispy or have have tattered things or purple fog hanging off its body or something. I think that a Ghost-type that collects ancient coins is a cool concept, but I don't think the body design works well at all.

* These are humanoids, but they do have some specific features which can be used to both emphasize the concept more strongly and reducing the "human-ness" of the design overall.
Harvest from Jojo.

That's gotta be it.

I swear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)