Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

At 3:10 the level 9 Quaxly has Pound, Growl, Water Gun, and Work Up.
1667353080799.png

At 3:57 we see some mons using moves in a raid battle.
1667358790491.png

1667359027087.png

Arcanine is using Flamethrower, Bellibolt is using Discharge, Weavile is using Ice Punch, and Drifblim is using Air Slash (エアスラッシュ) as a new move for some new special Flying STAB.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They're balloons, of course they can't cut things.
And this right here is a notable problem Flying-types have: if you're not a bird, or at the very least don't have wings, you're incapable of learning like 90% of the Flying-type moves, most of them being the attacks.

Flying-type needs more "general" Moves which is air/wind focused rather than bird/winged focus. Like, where is the Flying-type of Ominous Wind/Silver Wind? Heat Wave? Discharge? Hyper Voice? Leaf Storm/Tornado? Whirlpool? Quick Attack? U-Turn/Volt Switch/Flip Back? Liquidation? Circle Throw/Dragon Tail? Flame Charge? Rapid Spin? No, let's just make another version of Wing Attack, but this time it hits two times!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not sure if anyone is still interested, but this just appeared on my Youtube feed (though apparently it was made 2 weeks ago): An English VTuber decided to take a shot at dubbing the initial Iono stream:
I think she did a pretty good job.

Unpopular opinion: Heat Wave should be Flying+Fire move, just like Flying Press is Fight + Flying. Also, the primary type of the move (the one that aplies STAB) should be Flying.
You may have wanted to post this in unpopular opinions :P that said...

Counterpoint: "dual type" moves should never be a thing again.

They're both counterintuitive and a mess to mentally figure what they're supereffective against.

Ironically, Flying Press is basically hurt by its "dual type" as it's not supereffective against the things you'd want your fighting stab to be supereffective against, like Steel or Fighting, and thus noone would ever run it.

I rather them do more stuff like Freeze Dry, which is by all means a Ice type attack, with the single extra benefit of changing one type interaction.

If you want a fancier Heat Wave, it could have been a Flying Type with the added perk "It's supereffective against Steel Types", I guess. That'd be easier to memorize than a dual type.

I think I'm a proponent of radically replacing the Flying-type with a Wind-type, turning most of the "bird" moves into Normal-type, and then make Flying/Levitating into some sort of inherent trait, visually signified by whether it touches the ground in battle. Intuitive. And then Roost, Gravity, Magnet Rise, Smack Down, and Thousand Arrows change the idle to a more appropriate one while in effect.
Glad Drifblim is getting its Flying movepool expanded though.

And this right here is a notable problem Flying-types have: if you're not a bird, or at the very least don't have wings, you're incapable of learning like 90% of the Flying-type moves, most of them being the attacks.

Flying-type needs more "general" Moves which is air/wind focused rather than bird/winged focus. Like, where is the Flying-type of Ominous Wind/Silver Wind? Heat Wave? Discharge? Hyper Voice? Leaf Storm/Tornado? Whirlpool? Quick Attack? U-Turn/Volt Switch/Flip Back? Liquidation? Circle Throw/Dragon Tail? Flame Charge? Rapid Spin? No, let's just make another version of Wing Attack, but this time it hits two times!
finally
Air Force

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Counterpoint: "dual type" moves should never be a thing again.

They're both counterintuitive and a mess to mentally figure what they're supereffective against.

Ironically, Flying Press is basically hurt by its "dual type" as it's not supereffective against the things you'd want your fighting stab to be supereffective against, like Steel or Fighting, and thus noone would ever run it.

I rather them do more stuff like Freeze Dry, which is by all means a Ice type attack, with the single extra benefit of changing one type interaction.

If you want a fancier Heat Wave, it could have been a Flying Type with the added perk "It's supereffective against Steel Types", I guess. That'd be easier to memorize than a dual type.
While I would like to see more Move's like Freeze-Dry (if I were to suggest one, a Fighting-type move called "Spirit Punch" that is SE against Ghost and neutral against Fairy & Psychic), I don't think the "Dual Type" moves are a bad idea... just now the way Flying Press works.

Having it have it's own Type Chart is just confusing, I think it would work better if it was one Type or the other depending on the situation. I see it working in two ways:

1. It picks the Type that would be the most effective against the target (if both are equal than it defaults to Fighting).

2. It first applies the Fighting-type, but if the Fighting-type is resisted/immune, it checks to see if the Flying-type would work better. If it is, it becomes Flying-type, if not, remains Fighting-type.

For balance I would say the second option would be the best as it'll keep Flying Press from being too much of a two-in-one Move (which is probably why they did the weird combination idea). In addition, this would allow easier creation of other "Dual-type" Moves as now they don't have to worry about the Types being too counteractive with each other.

I think I'm a proponent of radically replacing the Flying-type with a Wind-type, turning most of the "bird" moves into Normal-type, and then make Flying/Levitating into some sort of inherent trait, visually signified by whether it touches the ground in battle. Intuitive. And then Roost, Gravity, Magnet Rise, Smack Down, and Thousand Arrows change the idle to a more appropriate one while in effect.
Hm, I just want Flying-types to have more general options, not completely revamp it. :blobthinking:
And I feel giving a Pokemon a trait that would have an effect in battle based merely on design is a dangerous road to go down if not handled with care.

finally
Air Force
Which Move would it be an expy of? Sounds like just a direct attacking move, so either Hyper Voice or Liquidation, depending on whether its Special or Physical.

Glad Drifblim is getting its Flying movepool expanded though.
Kinda disagree on principle; I really like that instead of opting for a more standard Air or Wind type like you’d see in other media (especially RPGs), Pokémon opts for a concept that broadly encompasses all things that can fly - from birds, to bugs, to balloons. I don’t think Wind could be nearly so broad in scope.

Likewise, being immune to one of the most powerful offensive types in the game really ought to be an ability. I think some kind of trait system is needlessly complicated given the current Ability system, but Levitate is so potent that I don’t think it should be given to just anything above ground level. The only problem with Levitate is that it’s usually a mon’s only ability for no good reason, but they’re coming around on that if Weezing is any indication.

I just mean a trait like "weight," "size," and "gender," which already have an presence on the battlefield in appearance, sound, and the damage/effects of some moves. It's not completely out of Pokemon's roadhouse. Just a massive expansion.
I don't necessarily disagree about Flying being more expansive and inclusive than Wind. That's a real good point. But the inconsistencies in Pokemon's presentation still bothers me enough that I could overlook that downside

Not the physical Flying-types, but the special side has options. Gust, Air Cutter, Air Slash, Hurricane is a decent enough progression. They could use a reliable 90BP move, but that's fair enough.

As for physical-oriented Flying-types, these are generally birds anyway, besides memes like Gyarados.

These are way too ugly. Black Air Forces or bust.

Drifblim is using Air Slash (エアスラッシュ) as a new move for some new special Flying STAB.
FINALLY!!!

You do not realize how much grief Drifblim's special Flying STAB options have caused me over the years as big fan of the line. Outside of Gust, which it got via level-up in every game(except Legends for some reason), the only other special Flying move it got was Air Cutter via Move Tutor in Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver. That also meant that any Drifblim caught from Black and White onwards only had Gust, not that Air Cutter still is any good but it was still 15(Gen IV and V) or 20(Gen VI onwards) power stronger.

I'm also very much hoping Lumineon retains Roost from LA as well (and gets Quiver Dance).
Wait... it got Roost?
Oh wait, this is Legends Arceus, everything under the sun (lion) got Roost. And pretty much every other move too.
As an aside, thought I should put this here. Not really relevant, but cool nonetheless.

EDIT: Quiver Dance Lumineon please

Wait... it got Roost?
Oh wait, this is Legends Arceus, everything under the sun (lion) got Roost. And pretty much every other move too.
As an aside, thought I should put this here. Not really relevant, but cool nonetheless.

EDIT: Quiver Dance Lumineon please
I mean it is partially based on the tripod fish, one of the few fish that can "land" so to speak, so it makes some sense to get Roost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)