Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Victini should get victory dance
Because physical Victini wasn't enough of a thing already.
1667803915925.png

Searing Shot is one of the best Fire special moves, yet Victini always uses Physical sets for V-create only. Not trying to critique your opinion (or what just works for competitive reasons), but Special-oriented Victini would be awesome. Something like Searing Shot / Thunderbolt / Glaciate / Final Gambit maybe i really have no clue but its worth trying

Because physical Victini wasn't enough of a thing already.
View attachment 462967
Searing Shot is one of the best Fire special moves, yet Victini always uses Physical sets for V-create only. Not trying to critique your opinion (or what just works for competitive reasons), but Special-oriented Victini would be awesome. Something like Searing Shot / Thunderbolt / Glaciate / Final Gambit maybe i really have no clue but its worth trying
Even if Special Victini was a thing, it would probably run Blue Flare over Searing Shot.

Hey now as a VGC player myself lf, I can firmly say mark clause defiantly sucks. Maybe they'll change it in SV - like how SwSh brought the first mythical format
SwSh actually "fixed" mark clause with Battle Ready format: you can now use your older pokemon.

At the simple cost of losing all their learned moves.

Still solves same purpose: you're never stuck on a pokemon unable to run a viable set because you don't own a event version or a game from 15 years ago with a specific tutor move.
It's a great mechanic.

:sm/Registeel:

Seismic Toss + Toxic. The thing that makes registeel... registeel. And its not even usable. Granted, it wouldn't make it a metagame superstar - but its a step forward ig?
That's moveset issues and not a "format" issue though.

I would flip you the question, since you play VGC, would you like to be penalyzed in a given VGC season because you didn't get Power Up Punch from Mega Kangashan in gen 6, and now you basically have no chance to compete unless you spend more money or gen the pokemon?

No? Good, cause it's why the mark system exists, and why they've also pretty much stopped giving out event exclusive moves.

I also am somewhat confident that Ability Patch was introduced in gen 8 most notably to solve the HA legendary problem, where certain legendaries that are basically unviable without HA (Lugia, Ho-oh, Lando-I, etc) would have been in the ballpark of "i sure hope you got that event one in gen 5 or else".

I would flip you the question, since you play VGC, would you like to be penalyzed in a given VGC season because you didn't get Power Up Punch from Mega Kangashan in gen 6, and now you basically have no chance to compete unless you spend more money or gen the pokemon?

No? Good, cause it's why the mark system exists, and why they've also pretty much stopped giving out event exclusive moves.
Gen 6 sucks. Lack of variety. Gen 9 has some promise with the additions of multiple TR Pokemon - and yk, murkrow. And if I did get penalyzed, ill explain to GF why it deserves its move

Gen 6 sucks. Lack of variety. Gen 9 has some promise with the additions of multiple TR Pokemon - and yk, murkrow. And if I did get penalyzed, ill explain to GF why it deserves its move
Game Freak is not going to implement a way for every Pokemon to learn every move it has ever been able to learn, including weird events, natively within a single game. Nor should they. That would be absurd.

I'd point that you purposely missed the point of my example.

My example wasn't "you should get power up mega kangaskhan cause gen 6 games are awesome".
It was just to make a obvious example of a pokemon whose viability got tanked HARD by the lack of a previous move.

You can apply this to a bunch of pokemon who require a bunch of old moves to be viable on smogon and are completely unviable in VGC and other way around, pokemon viable in VGC cause their counters lack the move they used to use against them.
I don't care if <pokemon X deserves it more than Y>, that's irrelevant and besides also subjective on top of it.

Realistically speaking, noone should ever be in the position of "if you didn't get the previous game or you're at a disadvantage against everyone else", moreso with TPCI trying to push the game as e-sport and doing their best to reduce the entry barrier.

If you don't like it, you're free to play smogon and their arbitrary "everything allowed" formats ;)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is there some mythological creature that Gimmighoul is based on? Because otherwise, its design outside of the treasure chest seems very... bland.
Yeah, aside from cursed gold (because, Spain), I had nothing else. Curious what Lockstin had turned up and finally released his video and there seems to possibly be more what glitters:

Here's some ambient audio of moving around with the legendaries, appropriately titled Switch_PSPV_Sights_And_Sounds_20221101_Legendaries_In_Travel.mp4.
Um, broken link.

Any guesses on what tomorrow's trailer is about?

I'm hoping for something that's actually going to hype people up because honestly, the marketing for this game ain't that good so far.

GF needs to stop messing around and show us some dang starter evos. or the paradoxes.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Any guesses on what tomorrow's trailer is about?

I'm hoping for something that's actually going to hype people up because honestly, the marketing for this game ain't that good so far.

GF needs to stop messing around and show us some dang starter evos. or the paradoxes.
I’m torn about them showing starter evos. On the one hand your starter’s final evo is an important part of determining one’s choice and not knowing what it is (unless you poke around in leaks) might make you disappointed with it later, but on the other hand showing the starter evos would remove the suspense of what they will become which you otherwise would find out in gameplay.

I’m torn about them showing starter evos. On the one hand your starter’s final evo is an important part of determining one’s choice and not knowing what it is (unless you poke around in leaks) might make you disappointed with it later, but on the other hand showing the starter evos would remove the suspense of what they will become which you otherwise would find out in gameplay.
I don't even want the final ones. I want the mid-stages.

The mid-stages at least allow you to have an idea of the concept they're doing for the final ones without fully spoiling the surprise.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What about them showing the mid evos then?

In theory the mid evos are supposed to be the transition between the basic and final stages, so by showing the mid stages you can give players an idea on where that Pokemon is "going" in terms of final evo design.

Of course this doesn't always work out and we have quite a number of them which are sort of in their "awkward teenage years levels". Like I don't think anyone who saw Quilladin, Torracat, and Drizzile would have ever guessed their final evos which may have steered player's expectations in the wrong direction.

(EDIT: Shedinja'd by Volt-Ikazuchi last second)

Maybe combine it was a silhouette sneak peak of the final evos?

Eitherway, I'm expecting the trailer to be released in about an hour is going to be the last trailer, so did they save something big for it or is it a general "hype" trailer? Like, I don't recall SV getting a "song" trailer like SM and SwSh got, so that could be something they'll do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)