Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god do i really have to do this again

DONT POST SHITTY GIMMICKS OR YOU WILL BE INFRACTED

THIS THREAD IMPLIES THAT THE SET YOU POSTED ARE ACTUALLY GOOD

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To make this message clearer to anyone who doesnt know whether their set is gimmicky, think where is it in the viability rankings? Being E-rank usually means that it is outclassed an a gimmick. Does your set do anything other sets/other pokes cant? Your choice scarf electabuzz may look creative but there is no reason to use it over raichu. Is the sets niche good enough? Emolga may have a flying stab but that doesnt really help it beat anything zebstrika cant. I also want to note that even if your set has performed well for you that may not mean it is good, as other pokes may have done the same thing better, or the games you have been playing might not be high end.

Another good way to help you work out its viability is by asking the PU PS! room.

This is a pretty cool mon I found that can do some pretty cool things that very few mons can do, which is being a good answer to prominent threats such as Ninetales, LO Simipour, and Scarf Raichu, all in one package.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave/ Toxic
- Discharge/ Foul Play
- Ice Beam

Porygon's access to reliable recovery (big emphasis on reliable recovery), an awesome ability in Trace which allows it to handle Ninetales (just watch out for sub) really well, and the special bulk to check things like Simipour and Raichu makes this a good mon to consider on balance or stall. The ev's let Porygon live +2 Razor Shell from Barbaracle after rocks, allowing Porygon to TWave it, thus making it a good emergency answer and okay check to non-LO Barbaracle. If you don't care so much about Barbaracle, just run max spdef. A physically defensive set also seems cool to check Barbaracle even better as well as Carracosta, in addition to Rapidash and Leafeon to name a few. However, the specially defensive set covers many more threats overall and is generally the way to go. Advantages of using this over Lickilicky are: having reliable recovery outside of Wish+Protect with Recover, not being setup bait for things like Barbaracle and Carracosta with access to TWave and Discharge, and has the lightness bulk to check things that Licky can't, such as Simipour. Of course, some downsides are being weak to knock off, lack of passive recovery with leftovers because of it's reliance on eviolte, and being weaker to Misdreavus, something that Lickilicky handles much better than Porygon. I've spoken enough jibberish, i'll let the calcs do the talking.
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 121-144 (36.3 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Life Orb Simipour Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Eviolite Porygon: 88-107 (26.4 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 90-106 (27 - 31.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 117-138 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Raichu Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 128-152 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (only move that does anything to Porygon, and Raichu doesn't like to spam Focus Blast that much anyways)

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Eviolite Porygon: 246-289 (73.8 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Victreebel Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 146-173 (43.8 - 51.9%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Kadabra Psychic vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 87-103 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- 21.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock (careful of encore)
0 SpA Porygon Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Simipour: 164-194 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Porygon Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Barbaracle: 114-136 (40 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Porygon Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 106-126 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Torterra: 256-304 (65.1 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Leafeon: 160-190 (59 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawsbuck: 150-178 (49.8 - 59.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 154-182 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool mon I found that can do some pretty cool things that very few mons can do, which is being a good answer to prominent threats such as Ninetales, LO Simipour, and Scarf Raichu, all in one package.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave/ Discharge/ Toxic
- Foul Play
- Ice Beam
I cant believe you took this seriously XD

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Back with some innovation. :0

Chatot @ Life Orb
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Tailwind
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Tailwind Chatot is pretty cool because almost nothing on offense can live a Modest Life Orb-boosted Boomburst and Chatot outspeeds pretty much everything with the Tailwind boot. The only thing stopping it from completely ripping through teams is that its bulk + Life Orb recoil makes it die pretty easily to priority, so you need Pokemon such as Piloswine and Mightyena gone before you attempt to sweep. The low bulk also makes it hard to set up outside of forced switches so Memento or Screens support is appreciated. Mr. Mime also never really uses Soundproof anymore so that's one counter less that you have to worry about. Obviously still functions as an amazing wallbreaker.

252+ SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 281-331 (90.3 - 106.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 257-304 (89.5 - 105.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Roselia: 208-246 (74 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock easy to wear down so no problem :o
252+ SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 282-333 (76 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock Same as above
252+ SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mr. Mime: 220-261 (99.5 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
etc

Ninetales @ Salac Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

One of the main reasons why Nasty Plot Ninetales rarely truly sweeps a team is because of its good but still underwhelming Speed leaving it vulnerable to revenge killing by faster Pokemon such as Simipour and Choice Scarf Mr. Mime. Substitute + Salac Berry somewhat fixes that issue by granting Ninetales a way to boost its Speed and thus sweep gotta go fast teams instead of just slower paced balance. Substitute also dodges Sucker Punch and makes Ninetales able to defeat walls such as specially defensive Togetic and Lickilicky lacking Body Slam / Return, which is very nice. Also Carracosta's partner in crime in sweeping Kingler's crappy teams xd.

Does the same damage as normal Ninetales so need for calcs I think.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn / Air Slash
- Scald

got to know this by galbia so I tried it on some teams and worked nicely, I think it's worth posting. It's basically a Pelipper with investment in Special Defense, which along a Calm nature allow it to check with ease common offensive threats nowadays such as Simipour, Rain Dance Poliwrath, Kadabra, Simisear, Heatmor, and others...which is nice to have and comes in hand especially because of Pelipper nice typing and access to recovery plus momentum grabber move, and also because the tier is full of Pokemon that can already provide good answer to physical attackers, as most of the defensive Pokemon run physical bulk investment or are dedicated physical walls, naming some, Hippopotas, Duosion, Quilladin, Pelipper itself, Carracosta, Tangela and I can go on...
be careful to rocks though

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn / Air Slash
- Scald

got to know this by galbia so I tried it on some teams and worked nicely, I think it's worth posting. It's basically a Pelipper with investment in Special Defense, which along a Calm nature allow it to check with ease common offensive threats nowadays such as Simipour, Rain Dance Poliwrath, Kadabra, Simisear, Heatmor, and others...which is nice to have and comes in hand especially because of Pelipper nice typing and access to recovery plus momentum grabber move, and also because the tier is full of Pokemon that can already provide good answer to physical attackers, as most of the defensive Pokemon run physical bulk investment or are dedicated physical walls, naming some, Hippopotas, Duosion, Quilladin, Pelipper itself, Carracosta, Tangela and I can go on...
be careful to rocks though
I can confirm that this is very good. Pelipper doesn't wall many physical attackers anyway, and its typing is much better suited to the special spectrum these days.

I have to say that air slash is much more useful than return on this set, as it allows Pelipper to reliably switch in and defeat leaf storm tangela and beat Poliwrath and other water types which this set is supposed to wall.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam
- Waterfall

Who needs Dual STAB?

This Carracosta takes on more of a wallbreaker approach than a sweeper approach, forgoing the ability to revenge kill weakened Zebstrika and Scarf Pokemon with Aqua Jet for the ability to eliminate both Poliwrath and Grass Types. Zen Headbutt and Ice Beam hit so many things effectively that all Carracosta really needs is one STAB, which leaves it only walled by Pelipper.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Carracosta @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge/Waterfall

Who needs Dual STAB?

This Carracosta takes on more of a wallbreaker approach than a sweeper approach, forgoing the ability to revenge kill weakened Zebstrika and Scarf Pokemon with Aqua Jet for the ability to eliminate both Poliwrath and Grass Types. Zen Headbutt and Ice Beam hit so many things effectively that all Carracosta really needs is one STAB. Stone Edge prevents Pelipper from walling you, and Waterfall gets the OHKO on Piloswine, so pick your choice.
Costa without Aqua Jet is basically garbage. I've tried both lures before, but since the last slot has to be jet you don't really hit too hard otherwise. Ice Beam costa definitely belongs here though, although zh isn't too creative/underrated anymore

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge/Waterfall

Who needs Dual STAB?

This Carracosta takes on more of a wallbreaker approach than a sweeper approach, forgoing the ability to revenge kill weakened Zebstrika and Scarf Pokemon with Aqua Jet for the ability to eliminate both Poliwrath and Grass Types. Zen Headbutt and Ice Beam hit so many things effectively that all Carracosta really needs is one STAB. Stone Edge prevents Pelipper from walling you, and Waterfall gets the OHKO on Piloswine, so pick your choice.
If using Beam, I'd really have to say that waterfall is necessary on the set. Otherwise your entire move set is walled by steel typing. And waterfall would help you lure in grasses, which is the point, right?

here's a cool set that i originally heard from Anty but i sort of made my own with a custom spread

Swalot @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 140 SpA / 60 SpD
Brave Nature / Quiet Nature
- Gunk Shot / Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain

Say hello to AV Swalot. The point of this thing is to check a ton of top tier threats with added bulk from AV and take them on offensively with its great coverage. The calcs should speak for themselves.

252+ SpA Poliwrath Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 96-114 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 92.7% chance to 4HKO

0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 35-42 (8.6 - 10.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 101-121 (25 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 140-165 (34.7 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 125-148 (31 - 36.7%) -- 65.9% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 112-133 (27.7 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Tangela Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 71-84 (17.6 - 20.8%) -- possible 5HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 109-129 (27 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Probopass Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 110-130 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Victreebel Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot in Sun: 142-168 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Swalot: 120-142 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 16.6% chance to 3HKO

140 SpA Swalot Giga Drain vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 110-130 (29.6 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

60+ Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Roselia: 145-172 (47.8 - 56.7%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

60+ Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 192-228 (65.9 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

140 SpA Swalot Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Simipour: 146-172 (50 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

60+ Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 168-198 (58.5 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

60+ Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-F: 111-132 (46 - 54.7%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO

140 SpA Swalot Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

60+ Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 214-252 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

60+ Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 192-228 (63.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

60+ Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victreebel: 168-198 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

60+ Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Aurorus: 172-204 (44.3 - 52.5%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Focus Blast/ Hydro Pump/ Psychic

As we all know, Politoed is it used mostly in OU in a Rain team. Nothing more. It is sad to see that it is not even used in PU that much. We all go defensive, right? Well, in this analysis, we go offensive Specs Politoed.

Set Details- Specs helps toed keeping pressure up on the opponent's team. The EV spread is fairly simple. Max Sp.A with a modest nature, 80 in spe to outspeed Specs Poliwrath that runs 72 in spe (you can change the spe however you'd like) and the rest in HP for bulk. Now, going in for the moves; Scald for reliable STAB and it has the famous 30% burn, sooo that is always nice. Ice beam for those grass-types that would want to switch in on Politoed. Next, we have HP Electric because of Swanna and Pelipper cheeky switch in, and in the last move slot, it is a toss up between Focus Blast, Hydro Pump, and Psychic. Focus Blast is preferred to hit Lickilicky harder, however if you want a stronger STAB move, Hydro Pump is the move for you, but If you do not like running inaccurate moves, Psychic is an option.

Ability and Typing- Politoed's Ability is Water Absorb granting that water immunity to check other water types such as Basculin and Poliwrath. The Typing is also good defensive wise as it lets you take on fire-types, ice-types, etc.

Overall, this Pokemon and set is underrated because, it is rare to see Politoed in the ladder, much less if it is specs.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 248-294 (58.4 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 140-166 (46 - 54.6%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 340-402 (101.7 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 316-374 (84.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Scald vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hypno: 109-130 (29.2 - 34.8%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Scald vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Grumpig: 124-147 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Catching Zzs Just a quick change of Hidden Power [Grass] < Hidden Power [Electric]. Most Pokemon which Hidden Power Grass hits basically get the same damage as Scald or Hidden Power [Electric], but you are able to hit Pelipper and Swanna Better whoch may be a problem.

This set isn't exactly creative but I think it's pretty underrated.

Luxray @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Ice Fang
- Crunch

I was using this set just for fun (mostly because people say it's bad) and I found it to actually be really effective. With Misdreavus, Gourgeist and other status spreaders (including Thunder Wave) being everywhere Luxray handles them nicely by switching in and hitting with the appropriate coverage move. I opted to run both Crunch and Ice Fang since I like to use it to switch-in when I'm pretty sure a Will-o-Wisp is coming from a ghost. So using Crunch allows me to nail both ghosts and grass types, especially Torterra. Luxray as a mon is very prediction reliant, but using this set makes predictions a little less important. Common switch-ins are no longer as easy to switch-in such as Piloswine, Gourgeist, Torterra, Tangela. (If I didn't put a calc for a mon then it probably loses I just put the common switch ins).

It still has problems with Stunfisk and doesn't like to switch in to hazards much so support to limit hazards are always nice. Pelipper has nice type synergy with Luxray and can run U-Turn to bring in Luxray unharmed and activate Toxic Orb.

Its not meta defining but I'd recommend giving it a shot. :]

252+ Atk Guts Luxray Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 326-384 (80.6 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Guts Luxray Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 170-202 (45.4 - 54%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Guts Luxray Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 424-500 (107.6 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Guts Luxray Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Tangela: 132-156 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Focus Blast/ Hydro Pump/ Psychic

As we all know, Politoed is it used mostly in OU in a Rain team. Nothing more. It is sad to see that it is not even used in PU that much. We all go defensive, right? Well, in this analysis, we go offensive Specs Politoed.

Set Details- Specs helps toed keeping pressure up on the opponent's team. The EV spread is fairly simple. Max Sp.A with a modest nature, 80 in spe to outspeed Specs Poliwrath that runs 72 in spe (you can change the spe however you'd like) and the rest in HP for bulk. Now, going in for the moves; Scald for reliable STAB and it has the famous 30% burn, sooo that is always nice. Ice beam for those grass-types that would want to switch in on Politoed. Next, we have HP Electric because of Swanna and Pelipper cheeky switch in, and in the last move slot, it is a toss up between Focus Blast, Hydro Pump, and Psychic. Focus Blast is preferred to hit Lickilicky harder, however if you want a stronger STAB move, Hydro Pump is the move for you, but If you do not like running inaccurate moves, Psychic is an option.

Ability and Typing- Politoed's Ability is Water Absorb granting that water immunity to check other water types such as Basculin and Poliwrath. The Typing is also good defensive wise as it lets you take on fire-types, ice-types, etc.

Overall, this Pokemon and set is underrated because, it is rare to see Politoed in the ladder, much less if it is specs.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 248-294 (58.4 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 140-166 (46 - 54.6%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 340-402 (101.7 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 316-374 (84.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Scald vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hypno: 109-130 (29.2 - 34.8%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Scald vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Grumpig: 124-147 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I've actually used this set before, but the set I used was Hydro / Ice Beam / Psychic / Scald (You can use HP Electric over Scald if you really need to hit Pelipper). When you have a strong specs user, you can't really afford to not run your strongest stab move. I like Psychic because it hits both Poliwrath and Roselia while also having decent neutral coverage if you predict wrong.

The main reason Specs Politoed isn't that great of a set is that it doesn't have much of a niche over Poliwrath in general, but what it does have is higher special bulk and the ability to check stuff like Simipour, which is enough of a reason to use it on some teams.

Also RawMelon the reason Guts Luxray is bad is because Luxray's niche is being a bulky pivot with Intimidate, but Guts throws that away just so you can have a wallbreaker that is an Electric-type in a tier with no shortage of either. It isn't exactly awful, but there isn't really much of a reason to use it (especially considering its opportunity cost when things like zebra and fridge exist).

GeneralAnnoyance that set isn't really that effective for quite a few reasons. The first is that defense boosting moves in general are really mediocre in competitive Pokemon due to the existence of Taunt, phazing, crits, and their general inability to accomplish much of anything. Second, that set is a free switch for threats like Pawniard, Roselia, and Probopass, as well as being way too passive and having too few resistances to effectively combat threats. In general, you're way better off using other defensive Pokemon. However, Furfrou actually does have a decent niche as a pivot with moves such as Thunder Wave, U-turn, and Sucker Punch, along with the ability to hit decently hard.

Klang @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Spa / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Gear Grind
- Frustration

In a meta so stagnant its starting to grow algae, one Marowak has his gears turning.
This is my case for immediate power+momentum VS set up sweeping.

So we're all used to this little machine shifting gears and wrecking unprepared teams. And, at team preview, this is what any knowledgable player suspects and strategizes against when seeing Klang on the opposing roster. Keeping certain mons to check and inhibit Klang from setting up and cleaning their respective clocks is key when this thing is present. Well, they're in for a bit of a shock.

As the Shift Gear set requires opportunity and at least 1 turn to set up, checks must first be weakened or eliminated for the sweep to be effective. The set I have forged has the necessary tools to whittle its own checks with Volt Switch and ,with the all important coverage that is Wild Charge, eliminate said checks (barring a few notorious bulky ground types). Instead of Klang being dead weight until the opportunity for setting up is created or available, this set actually contributes to a teams offensive presence and lures its supposed checks in for the KO.

Set Details- 252 attack EV's with an adamant Nature maximize Choice Band Klang's damage output. The 232 speed EV's allow you to out-speed most Poliwraths and Pellipers, as well as max speed neutral natured base 45's and out-creep those mons who are EV'd to creep said base 45's. The 28 EV's in SpA are mostly there to optimize Klang's whittling ability when Volt Switching. Alternately, you could invest those 28 EV's in HP to give Klang a little more bulk that it otherwise lacks without an Eviolite.

Stab Gear Grind is your go to move in most situations, while Wild Charge is used to nuke bulky waters that otherwise would check this set effectively. Volt Switch is to gain momentum and whittle said bulky waters so you can KO those mons later in the game with Wild Charge. And, finally, frustration is nice neutral coverage for electric and fire types.

Now, before someone gets on the "There are better CB users." train, I have thought this set through.

Niches over other well known Band users*cough* Torterra *cough*
Typing
- Being the only pure steel type available for use in PU (Klink pls) and the many resistances and immunity that come with said typing, I feel like this is an attribute worth mentioning.

Momentum- Being the only semi-viable CB user (that last thing I said is debatable) with momentum and a resistance to SR are notable advantages for Klang, as many of its checks that would like to think switching in is the correct course of action take SE damage from Klang's form of momentum in Volt Switch. After one volt switch and two SR encounters, including lefties recovery, Special Tank Poliwrath is within KO range for wild charge. Volt Switch also allows you to escape the clutches of our only viable trapper, Probopass. And with some whittle from Volt Switch and hazards, Probopass can proceed to get 2HKO'd on the next switch in if he dares to attempt trapping you again. And let's not even talk about Pelliper, which would be an excellent check to the Rest Talk set. Hue

28- SpA Klang Volt Switch vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 78-92 (21 - 24.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Wild Charge vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 244-288 (65.7 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 140-168 (46.5 - 55.8%) -- approx. 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

28- SpA Klang Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 188-224 (58.2 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ability- Clear Body is useful as an ability on any physical attacker, let alone a CB user. Negating the effects of Intimidate ( Which I know isn't prevalent, but still exist.) and Sticky Web can come through for Klang in a pinch. A niche instance I can think of off the top of my head is Lumineon's Charm, allowing Klang to switch in on an expected attack drop and do massive damage with Wild Charge or gain momentum with a slower Volt Switch on Lumineon's U-Turn. You do risk a burn in this situation, though. Once again, not a very relevant instance, but, as abilities go, Clear Body is at least circumstantially useful.

Gear Grind- And now we come to the main reason anyone would even use this mon. Gear Grind is an amazing asset to have and is unique to Klang's line. Being a multi hit move, its utility can be clutch in many situations. Subs, sashes, and sturdy are instances where Gear Grind is incredibly useful. Being able to outspeed and OHKO many of the tier's sturdy users, GOLEM LEL, allows Klang to be a decent anti lead in some cases. Piloswine takes around 80% from Gear Grind. So, if your opponent wants to risk setting up SR first turn on, Piloswine is near death and rendered virtually useless from turn one. That said, EQ is an OHKO on Klang, so be tentative about first turn plays. Dwebble must choose between knocking off your item or getting one spike up, and Venipede is allowed only one spike.

And while we're on the topic of spikes, little Roselia is helpless in the face of Klang's mighty gears. Gear Grind 2HKO's any variant of Roselia after rocks and OHKO's offensive Roselia after rocks. With the given Speed EV's Klang out-speeds standard offensive Roselia while Roselia fails to OHKO Klang with HP Fighting making Klang a risky check, if nothing else. Also, barring max rolls on both hits, Klang can switch in on Kadabra's Psychic, survive the following HP Fighting and OHKO through its sash. CB Gear Grind's only real niche over CB Torterra's Bullet Seed is the guaranteed OHKO on Carbink and Venipede. Stupid Turtle. ;-;

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 312-372 (103.6 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 312-372 (77.2 - 92%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Roselia: 194-230 (63.8 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 416-504 (136.8 - 165.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venipede: 300-354 (113.6 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 168-198 (58.5 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Carracosta: 152-182 (52.4 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 206-244 (72.2 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 213-251 (81.6 - 96.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 276-326 (76 - 89.8%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 174-206 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Armaldo: 388-460 (109.6 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 232-276 (59 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 204-242 (48.1 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 208-252 (66.4 - 80.5%) -- approx. 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Also, a friendly match between my good friend, RawMelon, and I showcasing Klang's effectiveness.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-233679327

Last edited:
coming at you with some innovation :]

Armaldo @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Battle Armor / Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Natural Gift

So when you think of switches into Armaldo, what do you think of? Poliwrath! Machoke is one that comes to mind as well. What this set aims to do is lure these Pokemon because after a Swords Dance, it OHKOs both of them and outspeeds with a Jolly nature.

(I put Aerial Ace into the calc but changed the base power to 100, which is what Natural Gift + Lansat Berry does)

+2 252 Atk Armaldo Aerial Ace vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 442-522 (119.1 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Poliwrath Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Armaldo: 58-69 (19.9 - 23.7%) -- possible 5HKO

+2 252 Atk Armaldo Aerial Ace vs. 160 HP / 52 Def Eviolite Machoke: 354-418 (103.8 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Machoke Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Armaldo: 80-96 (27.4 - 32.9%) -- Guaranteed 4HKO

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Wave
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit

Pursuit is a really cool move that no one uses and IMO Murkrow is the best user of it in the tier. (Pawniard doesn't hit as hard and usually wants swords dance instead, and Mightyena doesn't even get pursuit)
Murkrow can scare out quite a lot of low health offensive pokemon with the threat of sucker punch, and pursuit them, effectively eliminating them as a threat, and no one will see it coming. The loss of hidden power is a big one but can be compensated with teammates.

Calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 207-243 (79.3 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Crunch vs. 152 HP / 104 Def Gourgeist-Small: 198-237 (68.5 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Simipour: 187-220 (64 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

nbt for this mon just ended sadly but I can still post about it here:

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Toxic

I've been using this set a bit recently and it's pretty cool. Basically, I needed a check to things like Zebstrika and Rain Dance Poliwrath on an offensive team, but I didn't want it to let stuff set up or remove hazards easily on it, so I decided to use this. It's reminiscent of Taunt + Toxic Throh but arguably works a bit better than that set did because it's a lot faster. Basically, what this set does is prevent a lot of defensive Pokemon from doing their jobs, both when Grumpig is out because of Taunt and when it's not because they get worn down a lot more quickly by Toxic. For example, Pelipper can normally Defog pretty easily on Grumpig, but if you Toxic it as it switches in and then Taunt it, it's at like 60% and it can't Roost, so it has to switch into SR again and is very unlikely to be able to Defog on anything for the rest of the match. It's also useful for stopping things like Pilo from getting SR up, which is nice too. Aside from hazards, it's also really effective at wearing down defensive teams in general. The EVs give enough Speed for Pawniard (I obviously run more creep, but you can do a bunch of different spreads with this).

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Toxic

I've been using this set a bit recently and it's pretty cool. Basically, I needed a check to things like Zebstrika and Rain Dance Poliwrath on an offensive team, but I didn't want it to let stuff set up or remove hazards easily on it, so I decided to use this. It's reminiscent of Taunt + Toxic Throh but arguably works a bit better than that set did because it's a lot faster. Basically, what this set does is prevent a lot of defensive Pokemon from doing their jobs, both when Grumpig is out because of Taunt and when it's not because they get worn down a lot more quickly by Toxic. For example, Pelipper can normally Defog pretty easily on Grumpig, but if you Toxic it as it switches in and then Taunt it, it's at like 60% and it can't Roost, so it has to switch into SR again and is very unlikely to be able to Defog on anything for the rest of the match. It's also useful for stopping things like Pilo from getting SR up, which is nice too. Aside from hazards, it's also really effective at wearing down defensive teams in general. The EVs give enough Speed for Pawniard (I obviously run more creep, but you can do a bunch of different spreads with this).
I've thought about this set a lot as well but I always hate losing the Psychic coverage so I forgo Toxic. Definitely a cool set to wear down bulkier stuff easily with Toxic though.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Toxic
Why put 160 EVs in HP? Seems like this set is only used against special attackers, so why not put the EVs in SpDf?

Why put 160 EVs in HP? Seems like this set is only used against special attackers, so why not put the EVs in SpDf?
You definitely won't only be using this to take on special attackers. Putting the last of the EVs into HP is just to help take on any other possible hits

You definitely won't only be using this to take on special attackers. Putting the last of the EVs into HP is just to help take on any other possible hits
It has base 65 Def & with those EVs it doesn't take physcial hits too well, even at full. I definitely would not recommend it switching in on physical attackers; even Rapidash because if stealth rocks are up (&/or spikes) it's definitely not going to be able to take two hits too well.
252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Grumpig: 139-165 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
& if someone predicts the taunt with Piloswine, 252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 211-250 (61.8 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
it's also getting knocked out by a special attacker afterwards like, Simipour.
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 177-211 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
even without the Life Orb, it's still doing a considerable amount of damage that, that Grumpig cannont take espicially, if rocks &/or spikes are up.
This is just my opinion though, I could be dead wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)