Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Rotom-Frost @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp

I've seen Zard pull something like this off and it's pretty interesting. The main idea behind this set is to lure in common switch ins to Rotom-F such as Piloswine and either cripple them with Will-O-Wisp or bop them with Hidden Power Fighting as they switch in. Volt Switch can be used over Thunderbolt if you prefer to pivot while still dealing out damage.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can confirm Ebelt wisp is good, I don't like hp fighting too much tho as you already beat Pilo so it's really just for probo which could be useful for specific teams but isn't warranted on most

Pelipper @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Roost

Here's a pretty cool and fun set that I've been using for a bit on and off. Pelipper is mainly known for its defensive set with Defog, which is one of the reasons this set works, as it really catches people off guard. After a Tailwind, Pelipper reaches a Speed of 458, basically outspeeding anything unboosted (bar Jolly Ninjask) and can deal a lot of damage. It works really well along with slow wallbreakers like Stoutland, as you can use Tailwind on a slower mon as they knock you out then basically proceed to pick up 3 kills.

Rotom-Frost @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp

I've seen Zard pull something like this off and it's pretty interesting. The main idea behind this set is to lure in common switch ins to Rotom-F such as Piloswine and either cripple them with Will-O-Wisp or bop them with Hidden Power Fighting as they switch in. Volt Switch can be used over Thunderbolt if you prefer to pivot while still dealing out damage.
Wide lenses are amazing on this (and you can run thunder!)

Edit: Forgot the sprite.

Cat General (Meowstic) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Reflect
- Magic Coat
- Light Screen
I thought of this set when I heard about Bibarel getting shut down. Thought I'd give Meowstic-M a shot with Magic Coat & it's honestly not that bad. I got into some ladder battles with it & it did it's job. Wasn't able to get a good enough replay but if you want to see one of them & talk to me about it, just PM me.
Magic coat is nice to get hazards on your opponent's side of the field & it's great for throwing a taunt or status right back at the other pokemon.
It's like a lead, anti-lead, anti-taunt (oblivious), all rolled up into one nice hair ball. I put all EVs into defense because the defense isn't that good at all but, fully EV'd with a reflect up, & should take a physical hit nicely. Just as a random example:
252+ Atk Life Orb Torterra Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Meowstic through Reflect: 88-104 (25 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
I also put the 8 EVs into speed as to perhaps outspeed other Meowstics.
You could split the EVs into Special Defense if you to feel safer.
With dual screen support I feel that it allows a safe switch-in to one of the bulky rain sweepers such as, Poliwrath, Beartic, Relicanth, etc.
So I didn't feel that light clay was necessary since you only needed one solid turn for switch since these pokemon will be outspeeding almost all pokemon in the metagame.

upload_2015-6-20_22-49-18.png

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Substitute
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake

Arbok itself is a great mon with its main set (offensive coil,Eq,Sucker,Gunk Shot) being terrific but with that people easily forget this set which i find quite underated. With this you are applying the bulky Rest/Skin set and replacing it with Sub/Intimidate with its evs spread and ability this allows arbok to come in on a surprising amount of pokemon examples being Machoke,Probopass,Pelipper,Togetic,Carracosta ect

Sub stops status moves and scald burns with ease and allows arbok to set up coils within the safety of its bean bag buddy. Coil also allows arbok to continue setting up on any physical attackers that switch in to take it on and depending on the mon you can set up another sub to continue yet again setting up coils for the easy sweep

This isnt the end all glory sets that can heavily compete with the main set but it is very much underrated and is great for support and checking many of Pu's threats.

Thanks to Detect Marowak Who deserves equal credit for helping me with this set.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-241655826

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Vespiquen (F)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Attack Order
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Roost

I wouldn't say this is creative or something along those lines as it is still pretty bad, but this Vespiquen set isn't all that bad (Hollywood made a team with this and I tested it myself and it isn't bad with the right support). It still has a horrible Stealth Rock weakness and Jumpluff can pull this off better, but Vespiquen does give teammates slow U-Turns for them while still being somewhat bulky allowing it to take some hits and be a Knock Off absorber as well as it is running no item to boost the power of Acrobatics. Roost to recover any lost health from attacks so it can pivot and provide slow momentum.

Beartic @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Here's a pretty cool and fun set that I came up with when I was bored and looking for something new to use. Banded Beartic is pretty cool to bring in on doubles and off of against bulkier Pokemon to basically pick up a kill. It hits extremely hard and can easily 2HKO the majority of the meta. I'll let the calcs talk:

252+ Atk Choice Band Beartic Play Rough vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 300-354 (80.8 - 95.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Beartic Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Beartic Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 255-300 (94 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Beartic Play Rough vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 204-241 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
YELLOW MAGIC DARK DOG

Luxray @ Magnet
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Wild Charge
- Superpower / Ice Fang
- Volt Switch

Instead of the standard Choice Band set, this Luxray uses Thunder Wave to slow down faster threats, and Pokemon that attempt to switch into it. Magnet still raises its Electric-type moves (Wild Charge and Volt Switch), while not locking it into a move, and not making it take damage from Life Orb. Superpower is for Steel-types and Rock-types, while Volt Switch is for momentum. Alternatively, Ice Fang can be used to take on Ground-types, but loses out on damage against other Pokemon.

upload_2015-7-6_17-56-4.png

Lunatone @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
- Baton Pass / Ice Beam

For a while ive been messing around with Lunatone trying to find an effective/Viable set over its usual Rock Polish set and this is something i have efficiently tested over and over again to get the results i wanted. It reaches a speed of 358 Modest and 393 Timid

Lunatone is a very meh pokemon out-shined by its other-half Solrock who is praised for it defensive prowess. Ive been using and testing Choice Scarf Lunatone and i must say i am surprised by the amount of work it can put in. Many have been underwhelmed by my talk of it and i don't blame them but with its great Spa stat of 95 and enough speed (base 70) to justify a scarf set it has definitely been a key revenge killer on many teams. its main STABs Psychic and Ancient Power are very effective at OHKO or 2HKOing many of PUs' threats/Walls such as the two S mons Poliwrath and Roselia along with many standard pokemon such as The Simis',Rapidash,Ninetales,Dodrio,Pelipper and more. While Earth Power can take on Pawniard,Probopass,Zebstrika (if timid) Raichu.

Flaws:
Lunatone has a few flaws as a Scarfer such as even quicker Scarfers such as Scarfed Raichu,Dodrio and the Simis' it also is terrified of Sucker Punch from Mightyena,Arbok or Pawniard (however is predicted correctly Pawniard is OHKOd on switch in by Earth Power or can BP) it also suffers from having to pick between Baton Pass and Ice Beam. Ice Beam allows Lunatone to take out common ice weakness' such as Tangela,Torterra and Vibrava. While Baton Pass gives Lunatone momentum while both are useful in there respective rights Baton Pass in most cases is better. It is also walled by common Spdef walls such as Clefairy,Lickilicky and Grumpig.

What does it have over Rock Polish? the immediate speed boost of the Scarf which allows Lunatone to take control of a hurt pokemon. I would say more but this post is long enough and has gotten my point across

Frogadier @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot / Low Kick / Grass Knot / U-turn
- Toxic Spikes

say hello to the most lordly set you will encounter in this thread. this probably looks completely retarded but it is amazing i swear. it will probably only do well on the specific team i needed it on, but if you want to try it you should. basically i was building a balance team which was weak to typical balance breakers like np raichu, so i needed my last pokemon to be a fast pokemon, so i was running scarf simipour, but then i realised i wanted to be strong, just faster than typical wallbreakers, so i used modest. but i really wanted to use toxic spikes as well. and that is where this set came from. against offensive teams, fast modest hydro pumps provide insane help vs all the typical pokemon, making this set a potent revenge killer. but against defensive teams, unlike say scarf simipour, it can either sac itself early game for two toxic spikes (most people will use a grass-move on it) or get up layers on forced switches against pokemon like piloswine. toxic spikes are so amazing in this metagame that frogadier has a very good niche, and while it's life orb toxic spikes set might be more popular, this set is definitely good, despite how bad it may look. the final coverage move depends on your team's needs, just like this set depends on your team's needs. gunk shot lures clefairy, low kick lets frogadier do a lot to rock polish regice which it outspeeds at +2, grass knot hits incoming poliwrath and stops costa at +2 (rash is needed to beat costa at +2 better) and u-turn is for typical u-turn stuff. if you are using grass knot just drop the attack evs into defense to soak +2 aqua jets better. know that your lives and playing experience has been augmented by this set. the speed is for scarf stoutland.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
- Hypnosis
Ik this thread is basically dead till after PUPL set reveals but i doubt i will use this set in PUPL so might as well post it here (help trc revive it n_n). I never found drill run too useful tbh especcially now ninetales usage is going down, and low kick is pretty situational, whereas hypnosis is much better at screwing switch ins. This not only makes a decent anti-lead (well vs webbers), but it can also screw over many switchins such as poliwrath/golem/etc. Obviously it is unreliable, but it is still worth it from my experiences. Also lefties is definitely the best item on this as stealth rock weakness + no passive recovery really hinders it.

here's a pretty cool Mr. Mime set I've been using a lot lately and I've had a lot of success with

Mr. Mime @ TwistedSpoon
Ability: Filter
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
- Healing Wish

So I originally thought of this when I saw Anty's Hypnosis Rapidash set, then I started looking through the tier for Pokemon with Hypnosis. When you think of Mr. Mime's biggest checks and counters, they're mainly Pokemon that are slower that can take a hit and easily KO it or whittle it down, namely Clefairy, Piloswine, Misdreavus, Grumpig, or Torterra. Looking at all of these Pokemon, none of them appreciate being put to sleep, and none of them ever really expect Hypnosis. Mr. Mime is almost always scarfed, so if you KO a mon with Psychic, your opponent could bring in, say, a Pawniard to set up a Swords Dance on a predicted switch, allowing you to KO it with Focus Blast. This also allows you to put something asleep, and while your foe is unable to attack, Mr. Mime can fully heal something with Healing Wish and possibly set up. Since Psychic is the main move Mr. Mime spams, I figured TwistedSpoon was the best option that still boosts Mr. Mime's main STAB while bluffing a Scarfed set. 60% accuracy is definitely annoying, but I'm not gonna lie, I hit these more consistently than I do Sleep Powder, so I haven't had any problems. Anyways, enjoy the set

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Lapras @ Icicle Plate/Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Block
- Perish Song

- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry

I was always a fan of pokemon with no counters, so that prompted me to make this set. Lapras is pretty easy to wall with a specially defensive pokemon, such as Clefairy, Hypno, or Lickilicky. However, very often these pokemon can do only pitiful damage back, making it easy to Block them, meaning they cannot switch out, and then Perish Song them, absorbing their weak attacks with ease. Once they are about to Perish, all you have to do is switch out, and they will die, not taking Lapras along with them.

Lapras' enormous bulk makes it easy to stall out the Perish Song turns, as shown here:

0 SpA Clefairy Moonblast vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Lapras: 72-85 (16.7 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
0 SpA Hypno Psychic vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Lapras: 78-93 (18 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
4 Atk Lickilicky Knock Off vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Lapras: 50-59 (11.6 - 13.6%) -- possible 8HKO

What makes this set different than a gimmick is that Lapras still has a ton of offensive potential with two moves- Hydro Pump and Freeze Dry, giving it perfect neutral coverage.

EDIT!!! Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-249351517

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've got a Gourgeist-Small set that I've been messing around with ever since Haunter got the boot. I was looking for a new spinblocker and revenge killer, so I decided to slap a Scarf on this guy. Admittedly, it looks sort of terrible on paper, but it turns out it's pretty effective on the ladder.

Gourgeist-Small @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Trick
- Destiny Bond
- Seed Bomb

The roles this thing can take on are fairly compressed, so it often finds a slot on my hazard-based teams. It is able to:

1) Spinblock
2) Revenge Kill at 489 Speed
3) If it can't OHKO with STAB or coverage, it can Destiny Bond to remove a sweeper/wallbreaker of my choice
4) Disable walls via Tricking a Choice Scarf (Frisk even gives you some insurance against Tricking a bad item, too)
5) Beat all Rapid Spinners 1 on 1 -->

#5 requires some explanation:

What makes this set especially effective on the ladder is how it plays against common Rapid Spinners. Torkoal, Armaldo and Avalugg are what is being used on the ladder (and Armaldo more so on competitive teams). With the set I gave it is able to block Rapid Spin, then bait Armaldo into hitting Gourgeist-Small with Knock Off, Torkoal into hitting with Lava Plume or Fire Blast (based on its set), and Avalugg with Avalanche. All of these have a chance to OHKO, which means you are easily able to use Destiny Bond on these 3 targets and prevent Hazard removal for the rest of the battle. Similarly, if you predict they'll use a move other than Knock Off / Lava Plume or Fire Blast / Avalanche respectively, you can simply disable them via TrickScarf. All in all, this Gourgeist-Small works very well with Pawniard and even Purugly (if you're using Toxic Spikes, for extra Poison damage during Fake out) in terms of hazard protection.
0 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Small: 252-296 (100.3 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Armaldo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Small: 192-226 (76.4 - 90%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Small: 192-228 (76.4 - 90.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Normally, Gourgeist-Small runs 326 Speed. With a Choice Scarf however, it hits 489 Speed, which allows it to stop these threats with either a super-effective Rock Slide, Seed Bomb, or simply with Destiny Bond.
-
Rain Dance Poliwrath - 478 Spe
-
Scarf Sawsbuck - 475 Spe
-
Adamant +2 Shell Smash Barbaracle - 470 Spe
-
+2 Jolly/Adamant Torterra - 464/422 Spe
-
Scarf Mime - 459 Spe
-
Scarf Rotom-F - 447 Spe
-
Scarf Aurorus - 430 Spe
-
Jolly/Adamant Scarf Stoutland - 426/388 Spe

-
Naughty CB Ninjask - 419 Spe
-
Rain Beartic /
RP Regice - 398 Spe
-
+1 Jolly Fraxure - 384 Spe
-
Zebstrika - 364 Spe
-
Floatzel /
Persian - 361 Spe
-
Jolly +2 Carracosta - 358 Spe
-
Purugly - 355 Spe
-
Jumpluff /
Raichu - 350 Spe
-
Jolly Quick Feet Ursaring - 343 Spe
-
Rapidash - 339 Spe
-
Simisear /
Simipour - 331 Spe
-
Dodrio /
Ninetales - 328 Spe

Natural Talent :
replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-246746689
- Destiny Bond on Zebstrika with Rock Slide on Jumpluff

EDIT: TY Froggyboy for the catch haha
Fall of Ideals (lol is this you Kingler12345 ):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-246761089 - Tricks Scarf onto Torkoal / Tricks away Roselia's Eviolite

Scarf Primeape (low level ladder):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-246931733 - Tricks an Eviolite Electabuzz and makes it much easier to predict

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was going to talk about Natural Gift Dodrio, but then I saw how it was mentioned in its analysis. So now I'm going to talk about Sawsbuck.

Sawsbuck @ Belue Berry / Any berry of your choosing
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Natural Gift
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Frustration / Double-Edge
(Maybe have Swords Dance or Substitute, but then you lose coverage)

So the idea of having Natural Gift is to have an extra coverage move. An example would be having a Belue Berry (Electric) to hit Pelipper for 4x damage when the opponent would think it is a safe switch-in. Some drawbacks would be how Natural Gift takes up a slot that would normally belong to something like Swords Dance or Substitute. And quite possibly the one thing that might deter you from using it is how you need to have a berry as your item instead of other useful items such as life orb. Natural Gift could be a viable option if you want a surprise kill or if your team has a hard time switching into or handling a certain mon. Hopefully I remember how to hide the calcs...

252 Atk Belue Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Electric) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 264-312 (81.7 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Ganlon Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Ice) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 348-412 (105.1 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Starf Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Psychic) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 248-292 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Watmel Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Fire) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Super: 154-182 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Custap Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Ghost) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 184-218 (63.2 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was going to talk about Natural Gift Dodrio, but then I saw how it was mentioned in its analysis. So now I'm going to talk about Sawsbuck.

Sawsbuck @ Belue Berry / Any berry of your choosing
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Natural Gift
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Frustration / Double-Edge
(Maybe have Swords Dance or Substitute, but then you lose coverage)

So the idea of having Natural Gift is to have an extra coverage move. An example would be having a Belue Berry (Electric) to hit Pelipper for 4x damage when the opponent would think it is a safe switch-in. Some drawbacks would be how Natural Gift takes up a slot that would normally belong to something like Swords Dance or Substitute. And quite possibly the one thing that might deter you from using it is how you need to have a berry as your item instead of other useful items such as life orb. Natural Gift could be a viable option if you want a surprise kill or if your team has a hard time switching into or handling a certain mon. Hopefully I remember how to hide the calcs...

252 Atk Belue Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Electric) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 264-312 (81.7 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Ganlon Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Ice) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 348-412 (105.1 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Starf Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Psychic) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 248-292 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Watmel Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Fire) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Super: 154-182 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Custap Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Ghost) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 184-218 (63.2 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Pelipper: 211-250 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 153-181 (47.3 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
The only NG types that realistically do something are the ones that hit Gourgeist, and even then you'd want to run SD over jump kick to KO it at +2 after rocks

Fun set I've been playing around with recently.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Encore

The purpose of this set is to set up a sub as you force something out, then click the appropriate move to gain momentum. This can lead to a teammate setting up on common checks like Clefairy (CM or SpD ), Arbok trying to set up coil, or even Tangela as it is forced to use an attacking move which gives you free momentum into something like Arbok, Zeb, Rose, etc. Another situation this is useful is against slower mons trying to status you. If you sub as they status and then click Encore this gives you a free Focus Punch, Waterfall or appropriate switch/double switch, whatever gives you momentum. Stall is practically non-existent but this set makes it really difficult for stall to get anything going. If you feel you don't need poli anymore and having the opponent locked into a move as you die will allow you to set up then by all means Encore as they kill you to open up a set-up opportunity.

I forgot to save replays but I did get 1 and I'll add more (yeah this is low ladder but still)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-252023113

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Fun set I've been playing around with recently.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Encore
Even though this set is more or less A rank and worse than its Special Tank set, I can confirm that this has a surprising amount of utility in the things it beats and forces out. I used this often 4 months or so ago during Sneasel / Throh meta: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-teambuilding-shop.3528733/page-2 with this accompanying replay against ManOfMany: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-219276498. Sweet set imo

Frogadier @ Eviolite
Ability: Protean
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power [Electric]
- Toxic Spikes

Unlike the standard frogadier sets, this set is use's protean more defensively while still hitting very hard without life orb. Toxic spikes are still insanely good in the meta and frogadiers a reliable setter with the added bulk. This set is very good against slower teams and can usually be good lead choice. I started using this set because i didn't want to use roselia on a stall team because you generally want to run either gourgeist or tangela on stall for a defensive grass wall so having two grass types would be kinda bad. A good partner for bulky frog is Purugly who can fake out to rack up toxic damage and deter the opponent from defogging because of its defiant ability. Overall the set performed well and i was able to top ladder with it on my team with a godly record on a alt (Aylius).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here are two sets ive been using recently (i use bw sprites since fraxures looks amazing, and mimes one is its least-terrible sprite)

Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Ability: Filter
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish
The innovator of scarf mime brings you.... Specs mime! Scarf mime is a bit weak and slow for a scarfer, and lo mime can be quite underwhelming in power which is why I like specs mime. Its STABs are really spammable, as there is only one common mon that resists them both which gets OHKOd by focus blast, so recently when using it I havent really had to predict, rather just spam its STAB. Mr Mime is also really strong (even stronger than lo kadabara!), which adds to the mindless spamming:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
It doesnt really need timid as things below it (articuno/golduck) will run modest as well. Shadow ball could be an alright option to hit the rare metang along with doing much more to other psychics, but its current moves hit everything neutrally (other than shedinja i guess). Megazards replay in the replay thread shows its strength, it can even KO linoone after a memento + belly drum.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Dual Chop
As everyone knows, set up sweepers are amazing right now and this is no exception. Poison jab/iron tail hasnt been helpful for me too much lately, as clef is the only real target and people have spammed it less, and taunt hasnt done much either since more offensive teams are around, so i went with dual chop. Dual Chop not only provides a secondary dragon STAB which you arent locked into, but it also KOs kadabra through its focus sash (it has the same strength as dragon claw), which can be amazingly helpful vs teams that rely on kadabras sash. Although i dont have any replays of this, i played a couple on the ladder and it really helped me avoid bs confusion hax when this could destroy my opps team.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
With Water Spam becoming better since Poliwrath left the tier, I thought I'd post something I like using right now:

Floatzel @ Mystic Water / Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (with Naive and Aqua Jet)
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (with Timid and Taunt)
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Aqua Jet / Taunt
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Baton Pass

This set really isn't anything new overall (said this even, but still forgot to credit SUPER COOL youtube phenomenon, Megazard and his awesome Floatzel set here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pupl-teams-set-dump.3545231/), but here is some more analysis and the set for the people who only skimmed Zard's poorly presented wall of text in that thread and missed reading this accidentally lol.

Anyway, just the addition of Aqua Jet gives Floatzel a ton of utility as a cleaner, as it becomes able to beat slower, priority-reliant Pokemon like Mightyena and Piloswine who try to snag a KO on low-health Floatzel with Sucker Punch / Ice Shard, respectively. Aqua Jet is especially effective against Sucker Punch users slower than 361 Speed, as it makes SP fail when you use Aqua Jet, allowing you to play some mind games with the opponent as they try to guess whether you'll be going for Hydro Pump or AJ.

Being in a superior speed tier and only being beaten by things like Zebstrika / Ninjask / Scarfers means that Floatzel is going to check a lot of stuff and force your opponent to switch out to something that can take a hit, which earns Floatzel a place on offensive hazard stack teams fairly easily. Floatzel also functions well on hazard stack due to its ability to either taunt bulky Defoggers like Vullaby out of removing Spikes/SR, or remove Swanna / Pelipper entirely with HP Elec. Based on your team composition and personal preferences, you can use HP Elec over Baton Pass if you're worried about other Floatzel / Simipour / Swanna / Pelipper. However, if you have these threats covered already, Baton Pass can be the superior option for gaining momentum.

The choice in item depends on if you would rather have a chance to OHKO Piloswine with LO Hydro Pump, or if you'd rather play as if you're Choiced in order to conceal Aqua Jet until the appropriate time. If you're using Mystic Water with Aqua Jet, your opponent who assumes the normal Choice Specs set may make random mistakes, such as leaving in a low-health Scarf Mr. Mime on an Aqua Jet.

Ideally, you'd use this on hazard stack, especially given the lack of Choice Specs means you can no longer OHKO bulky Grass types like Tangela and Quilladin via Ice Beam without hazard damage.
252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 351-413 (87 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Mystic Water Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: 76-91 (34.3 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 260-307 (77.8 - 91.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

MZ

With Water Spam becoming better since Poliwrath left the tier, I thought I'd post something I like using right now:

Floatzel @ Mystic Water / Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (with Naive and Aqua Jet)
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (with Timid and Taunt)
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Aqua Jet / Taunt
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Baton Pass

This set really isn't anything new overall, but just the addition of Aqua Jet gives Floatzel a ton of utility as a cleaner, as it becomes able to beat slower, priority-reliant Pokemon like Mightyena and Piloswine who try to snag a KO on low-health Floatzel with Sucker Punch / Ice Shard, respectively. Aqua Jet is especially effective against Sucker Punch users slower than 361 Speed, as it makes SP fail when you use Aqua Jet, allowing you to play some mind games with the opponent as they try to guess whether you'll be going for Hydro Pump or AJ.

Being in a superior speed tier and only being beaten by things like Zebstrika / Ninjask / Scarfers means that Floatzel is going to check a lot of stuff and force your opponent to switch out to something that can take a hit, which earns Floatzel a place on offensive hazard stack teams fairly easily. Floatzel also functions well on hazard stack due to its ability to either taunt bulky Defoggers like Vullaby out of removing Spikes/SR, or remove Swanna / Pelipper entirely with HP Elec. Based on your team composition and personal preferences, you can use HP Elec over Baton Pass if you're worried about other Floatzel / Simipour / Swanna / Pelipper. However, if you have these threats covered already, Baton Pass can be the superior option for gaining momentum.

The choice in item depends on if you would rather have a chance to OHKO Piloswine with LO Hydro Pump, or if you'd rather play as if you're Choiced in order to conceal Aqua Jet until the appropriate time. If you're using Mystic Water with Aqua Jet, your opponent who assumes the normal Choice Specs set may make random mistakes, such as leaving in a low-health Scarf Mr. Mime on an Aqua Jet.

Ideally, you'd use this on hazard stack, especially given the lack of Choice Specs means you can no longer OHKO bulky Grass types like Tangela and Quilladin via Ice Beam without hazard damage.
252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 351-413 (87 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Mystic Water Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: 76-91 (34.3 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 260-307 (77.8 - 91.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
I already posted this in PUPL set dump and then suggested it to you for your team smfh nice plagiarism nerd.
Will edit in a set here when I wake up in 10 hours but seriously

edit: HEY LOOK AN ORIGINAL SET (is ok I'm not rly salt)
020.gif

Raticate @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Double-Edge
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
This is the best set that Raticate currently has, and I'd nom it for C- at least right now if smashers weren't broken and it didn't miss errytim. Sorta theorymonned this while disagreeing with Ztstaffo on VR and it hasn't been that bad. Guts is too outclassed and cant do new shit, but this is faster than Ursaring (actually faster than adamant barb, around that speed tier) and still hits really hard with hustle and stuff. Double edge gets a bunch of KOs that scarf Dodrio and Sawsbuck cant on stuff like Floatzel and Zebstrika (no rocks needed for an OHKO) and it can even 2hko machoke which is kinda crazy. U-turn and crunch let it further distinguish itself which is pretty nice, and then Wild Charge lets you hit dem smashers and do 67-79% to barb (costa needs rocks for the 2hko). The only reasons that this shouldn't see more use is missing and Anty is a bully.

Last edited:

Seadra @ Eviolite
Ability: Sniper
Timid/Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Agility
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This set works like super physically bulky, niche simipour with less coverage and no reliable boosts. Lil Critdra has some surprise factor in the use of either of its setup moves depending on the type of team you're playing against and it has enough bulk to setup on most unboosted physical attackers. Also, after one agility (Timid or Modest) it outspeeds the entire tier, barring scarfed mons.

Tropius @ Sitrus Berry/Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

This set is just stupidly fun to use due to the surprise factor and sweeping potential. So, even with one DD up, it cant outspeed raichu, zeb, or anything over base 101 speed. One DD would technically put it at 331.5 speed, which is enough to outspeed the simi's (dont know if decimals are a thing when calcing speed). It does get some baller coverage moves and EQ for electric switch ins. Also aerial ace does like 78.9 - 93.4% to Rose after +1.

Not saying either of these are viable. Just entertaining. Enjoy

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Seadra @ Eviolite
Ability: Sniper
Timid/Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Agility
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This set works like super physically bulky, niche simipour with less coverage and no reliable boosts. Lil Critdra has some surprise factor in the use of either of its setup moves depending on the type of team you're playing against and it has enough bulk to setup on most unboosted physical attackers. Also, after one agility (Timid or Modest) it outspeeds the entire tier, barring scarfed mons.

Tropius @ Sitrus Berry/Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

This set is just stupidly fun to use due to the surprise factor and sweeping potential. So, even with one DD up, it cant outspeed raichu, zeb, or anything over base 101 speed. One DD would technically put it at 331.5 speed, which is enough to outspeed the simi's (dont know if decimals are a thing when calcing speed). It does get some baller coverage moves and EQ for electric switch ins. Also aerial ace does like 78.9 - 93.4% to Rose after +1.

Not saying either of these are viable. Just entertaining. Enjoy WDM EDIT: Why would you say this when you can see the title of this thread? Instead of pointing out that you think its a gimmick, yo are supposed to explain how it's not.
The whole point is that you explain why these can be viable. If you've played enough with them, you should be able to explain what situations these are viable over similar Pokemon, and I suggest impressive calcs. A +1 STAB Aerial Ace only having a 44% chance of OHKOing Roselia after Rocks isn't particularly impressive. Same with a set that requires 2 turns of set up. Please explain what they can do.

OP said:
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)