Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadra @ Eviolite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Agility
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This set works like super physically bulky, niche simipour with less coverage and no reliable boosts. Lil Critdra has some surprise factor in the use of either of its setup moves depending on the type of team you're playing against and it has enough bulk to setup on most unboosted physical attackers. Also, after one agility (Timid or Modest) it outspeeds the entire tier, barring scarfed mons.

Tropius @ Sitrus Berry/Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

This set is just stupidly fun to use due to the surprise factor and sweeping potential. So, even with one DD up, it cant outspeed raichu, zeb, or anything over base 101 speed. One DD would technically put it at 331.5 speed, which is enough to outspeed the simi's (dont know if decimals are a thing when calcing speed). It does get some baller coverage moves and EQ for electric switch ins. Also aerial ace does like 78.9 - 93.4% to Rose after +1.

Not saying either of these are viable. Just entertaining. Enjoy
I'm really sorry to say but... Those sets are just absolutely outclassed in PU... I wouldn't even say that could fill some niches because I can't find a real niche for those (And I usually find even the smallest of those for some pokes)...
Your Minicritdra is just plain unviable... It needs two turns of setup and it does just roughly a little bit more than other versatile and faster threats like Specs Floatzel and LO Simipour... Also if you likes to setup, just use a Shell Smasher and destroy people with ONE setup turn (Even Huntail is just slightly less bulky considering eviolite, hits harder after a Shell Smash, can go mixed and have Sucker Punch for Priority)... And you are really overselling Seadra Physical Bulk... With that low HP and without any investment a lot of things can still deal good damage (for example Piloswine does have a 85% chance of a 2HKO on Seadra using Earthquake and Sniper + Focud Energy doesn't ensure Critical hits, which means that Seadra should use Scope Lens instead of Eviolite making it even weaker defensively). Also its special bulk is as bad as Tangela's which isn't exactly appealing...

About Tropius... It can be fun to use it since people normally expect a sitrus stall team with Leech Seed, but that doesn't make it exactly viable... Its attack is just lacking (heck... It can't even ensure a OHKO on Simipour with Leaf Blade at +0 which is absolutely hideous considering a Super effective attack and a non existent bulk) and considering one turn of setup, its still slower than other One Turn setup things like the Smashers, the Simis (its a speed tie, but they hit considerably harder after a Nasty Plot Boost), its weak to SR which means that it will usually start the battle at 75% and to make it even worst it doesn't even have a really High power STAB... So, why you should be using this when you can use Fraxure that has a better STAB, is initially Stronger, Faster with nice Coverage on Outrage (or Double Chop), Low Kick and Poison Jab and with a similar bulk but a better typing?

A few days ago I was playing with Huntail... And after using Barbaracle and Carracosta I just felt absurdly stupid... Huntail is a really good Shell Smasher but... Carracosta and Barbaracle are just sooooooo much better, that is stupid to use Huntail... Then I just don't think that setuping a Dragon Dance with Tropius and losing a turn is better than just using Life Orb Simisage...

So... They could be good but maybe for FU or even a little bit lower...

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Skill Swap
- Toxic
- Taunt / Focus Blast
- Psychic

Something I came up with while I was looking at Grumpig. One of the few stops to Grumpig were either special walls such as Clefairy or other Psychic-types if not running Shadow Ball. This set may be a bit situational, but it has its merits. Going off of the Taunt + Toxic combo, Skill Swap is here so Clefairy and Duosion can't just switch in on a Toxic and expect to do as they please as Skill Swap takes Magic Guard away from them letting them be whittled down by Toxic damage. It also takes Oblivious away from Lickilicky so you can Taunt it. Taunt also prevents them from healing, whereas Focus Blast can be used, however, to hit Steel-types.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Encore
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast/Psychic

Been using this set on my balanced team and it's been really good. Basically, Politoed works like a stall killer, as it can encore mons heavily reliant on healing, boosting, and statusing moves. Because of its decent speed tier, it outspeeds a large portion of mons that would use said encorable moves. This allows you to predict the move, switch out into Poli, encore, and then scald the switch. It's ability lets it handle most special water types that normally give teams trouble as well. A list of mons that encore Politoed handles nicely on switch are: Gourgeist, Duosion, Pelipper, Clefairy, Defensive Misdreavus, Licki. Note, this isn't including mons it already handles without encore.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Politoed @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Encore
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast/Psychic

Been using this set on my balanced team and it's been really good. Basically, Politoed works like a stall killer, as it can encore mons heavily reliant on healing, boosting, and statusing moves. Because of its decent speed tier, it outspeeds a large portion of mons that would use said encorable moves. This allows you to predict the move, switch out into Poli, encore, and then scald the switch. It's ability lets it handle most special water types that normally give teams trouble as well. A list of mons that encore Politoed handles nicely on switch are: Gourgeist, Duosion, Pelipper, Clefairy, Defensive Misdreavus. Note, this isn't including mons it already handles without encore.
I'm pretty sure this set is somewhat standard, bar the non use of Hidden Power Electric and isn't really a "creative set".

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass/ U-Turn
- Substitute / Taunt / Bulk Up / Swords Dance / Calm Mind
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Man, I'm such a Foo for innovation. A hopeless case, one might say. I have scoured the depths of the abyss that lies beneath PU and have returned with my yield.

Hailing from the Far East
He pivots, He Subs, He passes, He checks, He OHKO's, He Knocks, He Taunts, He regens, He....wears pajamas!
Momentum Master Foo

Alright, so this thing is actually decent. I've tested it extensively against ladder (lol great proving ground am I right?!?!)and have mananged to grab a few decent matches with good players in the process. In my search for a good slow-pass mon and a decent check to other threats in the tier, I stumbled upon this little gem. Passing free subs to teammates (regenerator giving you more back then sub takes) and Knock Off are very useful utility for more offensive teams. Taunt is also a nice option as Mienfoo hits a decent speed tier and can outrun some SR users, namely Probopass and Piloswine, and beats said mons 1 vs 1. Yes, it beats Piloswine.

As far as its bulk is concerned, don't let that 45/50/50 fool you, this thing can tank hits . And the whole thing is all it needs to do is tank hits, as regenerator gives you that health right back as you pivot into something more suited to handle what dealt the damage. Uninvested STAB HJK still does appreciable damage to most offensive threats which, in most cases, fail to OHKO Mienfoo. Im convinced that a mixed def set could be run after seeing it perform, but defensive suits its typing better imo.

As far as other options for the set go, Bulk Up and SD are both decent choices. This thing outclasses the hell out of Bulk Up+Baton Pass Floatzel imo, as its slower pass is more beneficial than Floatzel's ridiculously fast one. You could even CM pass with our friend here. With its decent defensive stat CM even seems like a logical step, as it bolsters its weaker defense making its pass even further guaranteed. I'd use taunt in conjunction with CM though, as you receive no meaningful offensive bonus from CM and taunting say Misdreavus as it switches in allows you to boost in its face and pass out to something to abuse the CM safely.

Mienfoo actually checks most of offense with a little previous DMG+SR up. And, with many of our faster offensive threats running LO as the item of choice, getting previous damage is almost unavoidable. Subbing on standard Machoke's Knock Off or CC also lets Mienfoo beat Machoke 1 vs 1, which I feel is incredibly important for the set.

Notable Calcs
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 160 HP / 24 Def Eviolite Machoke: 106-126 (31 - 36.9%) -- 72.3% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. -1 160 HP / 24 Def Eviolite Machoke: 160-189 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Machoke Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 130-154 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Machoke Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 55-65 (18.7 - 22.1%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Machoke Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 35-41 (11.9 - 13.9%) -- possible 8HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 177-208 (60.2 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 270-318 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 166-196 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ursaring: 308-366 (95.6 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 160-188 (54.4 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 178-210 (61.1 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 142-168 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 163-193 (60.1 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 222-263 (75.5 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Simipour: 178-210 (61.1 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 199-234 (67.6 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 154-183 (53.6 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Foo shined in this replay, although my opp wasnt using all that conventional of sets.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-257104426

Have fun trying my little Foo out everyone!!

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head / Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
*Alternative Spread: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Head Smash / Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall / Protect

There hasn't really been a reason to use Defensive Relicanth over Defensive Carracosta until now, but given Costa has been banned to BL4, Relicanth can easily fill that niche (sans Scald/Knock Off) while eating up hits on the physical end of the spectrum for your team.

The set is fairly self-explanatory. 1 STAB, Toxic and SR are mandatory. Toxic is used to cripple bulky switch-ins that might be under the assumption Relicanth is using CB, so running Toxic is recommended. You can fill that 4th slot with another STAB if you want, but Protect is very helpful for restoring HP via Leftovers and possibly stalling with Toxic. Take Sturdy if you want guaranteed Rocks, whereas if you use Head Smash, you'd use Rock Head.

The only facet of this set that isn't self-explanatory is the Speed that Relicanth should run. I listed two possible spreads, one at 153 Spe total for outspeeding Timid 252 Spe Torkoal by +1, while the second beats Vullaby, Tangela and Volbeat. It's possible to outrun additional targets and hit them hard with Head Smash, but you'd be better off simply running an offensive SR set, as you'd be trading too much bulk for speed at that point.

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head / Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
*Alternative Spread: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Head Smash / Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall / Protect

There hasn't really been a reason to use Defensive Relicanth over Defensive Carracosta until now, but given Costa has been banned to BL4, Relicanth can easily fill that niche (sans Scald/Knock Off) while eating up hits on the physical end of the spectrum for your team.

The set is fairly self-explanatory. 1 STAB, Toxic and SR are mandatory. Toxic is used to cripple bulky switch-ins that might be under the assumption Relicanth is using CB, so running Toxic is recommended. You can fill that 4th slot with another STAB if you want, but Protect is very helpful for restoring HP via Leftovers and possibly stalling with Toxic. Take Sturdy if you want guaranteed Rocks, whereas if you use Head Smash, you'd use Rock Head.

The only facet of this set that isn't self-explanatory is the Speed that Relicanth should run. I listed two possible spreads, one at 153 Spe total for outspeeding Timid 252 Spe Torkoal by +1, while the second beats Vullaby, Tangela and Volbeat. It's possible to outrun additional targets and hit them hard with Head Smash, but you'd be better off simply running an offensive SR set, as you'd be trading too much bulk for speed at that point.
Been playing around with this set. It partners VERY well with Sap Sipper Baton Pass Sawsbuck. Most people get scared thinking its the CB set and try to take him out with grass coverage and end up boosting Sawsbuck on the switch. This often forces them to switch, giving Sawsbuck the chance to get a SD off to boost him to +3 which he can either sweep with or pass to others.

All and all I really love this set

upload_2015-9-10_16-0-41.jpeg

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 Def-SpD / 184 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder / Substitute
- Roost

Effectively similar to the Venomoth set in RU with some slight changes.

252 SpA to hit as hard as possible
184 Spe allows you to outspeed Zebstrika after 1 QD
72 Def-SpD is just a decision to take hits a tiny bit better [Changeable for more Spe]

Positives-
+Tinted Lens and Mono-Bug isnt a bad option at all considering there is only two X4 resistant mons (Drifblim and Monferno)
+ can find decent set-up options eg Roselia, Clefairy,Tangela to name a few
+ Partners well with a variety of pokemon

Negatives-
- Hazard Removal is a must (Preferably Vibrava)
-Toxic/T-Wave effectively shuts down set (Burn/Reg poison manageable)
- Stopped by Soundproof

Butterfree itself is an underrated pokemon and although its standard set is better in most cases this set i have found to be equal to it if not just a little less good.

Ps-Will work on it more later gotta dash :D

upload_2015-9-14_9-32-4.jpeg

Lapras @ Leftovers / Icicle Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Shard
- Waterfall
- Freeze-Dry

A set Tect told me about ages ago when i was building around Lapras this set is imo one of the better sets for it.

Pros:
Lapras is both hated and loved in pu with many people arguing on its viability whenever its brung up for conversation. This set turns Lapras into a very effective lure with Freeze-Dry hitting pokemon such as Pelipper/Tangela/Gourg-XL ect expecting another physical move for the final move slot (eww Drill Run). Ice Shard (although weak) can also net some good kills against the likes of threatening scarfers in the form of Chatot/Dodrio and out prioritizing Sucker Punch after a DD. Waterfall is simply a reliable hard hitting Water-Stab.

Cons:
Issues with this set is a crippling SR weakness, Average Atk,requiring H-removal,weak Ice-Stab and speed with a +speed nature Lapras (After a DD) still failing to out-speed Floatzel and Zebstrika also Scarf users such as Mr. Mime can revenge kill (doesn't like taking a +1 ice shard however)

Effective Team Options: (many more just listing a few)
Bulky grass-types such as Roselia and Gogoat take on Electric and Grass types for Lapras (Roselia even handling Machoke w/o Ice Punch)
Stunfisk provides an immunity to Electric and resists Rock it also can set-up Sr which are a huge help/Probopass provides a slow Volt-Switch and sets SR.
Vullaby/Vibrava make great partners for Lapras due to Defog and there bulk thanks to eviolite also providing a slow U-turn

Enjoy the set everybody

Purugly @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Taunt
- U-turn

I find Taunt one of the most useful moves in the game. Taunt is great for, hazard stack pokemon, or pokemon that try to set up, as well as, protecting yourself from willow-wisp. This could force a switch from your opponent where you can U-turn and gain momentum in the battle. Purugly also has great speed (base 112) allowing it to get a speedy taunt off or damage from stab frustration. Fake out is always nice to have Purugly can stop most sticky web leads (low rolls matter for fake-out+ frustration to kill) and to finish fast pokemon or scarf pokmeon. Over all I think Purugly is a great pokemon and with taunt can catch people off guard.

Purugly @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Taunt
- U-turn

I find Taunt one of the most useful moves in the game. Taunt is great for, hazard stack pokemon, or pokemon that try to set up, as well as, protecting yourself from willow-wisp. This could force a switch from your opponent where you can U-turn and gain momentum in the battle. Purugly also has great speed (base 112) allowing it to get a speedy taunt off or damage from stab frustration. Fake out is always nice to have Purugly can stop most sticky web leads (low rolls matter for fake-out+ frustration to kill) and to finish fast pokemon or scarf pokmeon. Over all I think Purugly is a great pokemon and with taunt can catch people off guard.
Ive seen Taunt used effectively on Purugly before and agree its a nice change from the usual slots , but I'd suggest you include Knock Off somewhere on this set. Taunt's potential to prevent WOW's or other status/utility is always usefut but, with that said, defensive Misdreavus should be running Foul Play in this drio+dog spam meta, as it prevents the free switch-ins that Shadow Ball can allow, making this set poorly equipped to handle it outside of hoping to taunt a willow. Misdreavus also doesn't tend to stay in on something with a decent attack stat that is known for carrying knock (bar blocking Armaldo's spin or something). Other WOW users like Gourg, Dusk, and Solrock have other means of dealing with Purugly in Foul Play, Seed Bomb, Zen Headbut, Rockslide, and Earthquake, respectively, and aren't really forced to willow when faced with that decision. Additionally, without Knock Off you are effectively walled by these mons and give them free turns to deal damage to Purrugly or w/e you bring in as you turn. Knock just has such amazing utility in this meta that I can't imagine passing it up if I can help it. Just my take on this, good post though :].

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Two innovations I have been using lately:

Monferno @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn

This might look weird and bad but Choice Scarf Monferno has been working very well for me. Its strong dual stabs revenge kill and clean up surprisingly well, and the surprise factor the Choice Scarf has helps get a lot of kills against Pokemon such as Dodrio and Kadabra that think they just outspeed and KO. I've been using Adamant for the extra power boost but Jolly outspeeds +2 Speed Regice and Huntail, so if your team struggles with those Pokemon, obviously use that.

Politoed @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Protect

Someone might have tried this before but I've never seen it used so I'm just going to post it. The fourth moveslot Politoed has is usually Encore or Toxic, but I prefer Protect, as it helps a lot with prediction against Choice-locked Pokemon such as Stoutland. The idea is to click Protect after they have come into the battlefield, see which move they picked, and depending on the move go to the appropiate resist (usually Probopass or Grumpig in my team's case). It also helps Politoed stay healty by granting it extra Leftovers recovery, and protects it from random Fake Out's.

Replays where they put in work:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-270715795 vs For The Bois
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-270705289 vs Dundies
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-270726278 vs gp745

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-269871433I've been using protect Politoed for like a month now, and it's saved my ass in more than one oocassion. But, to be fair, I thought this was a standard option on toed and didn't know I was being innovative. And I sent you the paste for the team in that replay before you built yours, so, like wut?
Yeah, it is standard. It just got posted anyway D:

678-m.gif

Meowstic @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 96 HP / 172 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Signal Beam
- Psychic
So I wanted to build a stupid team and I decided on going with sub CM meowstic but this is actually pretty cool right now. 104 is great for cleaning while after just two calm minds it's pretty hard to revenge with your fast volt switcher. Grumpig has bulk and resists, Kadabra has speed and magic guard sash and duosion has bulk, but meowstic is still a cool choice because of the speed that allows it to clean much more efficiently while being able to set up subs on things unlike kadabra. Speed beats +speed 101 (simis) while the HP investment means that Stunfisk can never break your sub at +1. Also cool to run with CB linoone and screw with people

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Snatch

On my way to steal yo
synthesis boi!

Alright so I've had some moderate success with this neat little addition to what is known to be a kind of cookie cutter Pokemon. Snatch gives Zebstrika some needed utility to go with its amazing speed tier. Snatching recovery moves, boosting moves, substitutes, screens and other various forms of support is actually very useful when considering Zeb's usual switch-ins. Lickilicky is prevented from wishing, Roselia's Synthesis is snatched when a likely Overheat is expected, Duosion only makes you a problem for the opposing team, Fraxure can be prevented from setting up and forced to attack or taunt Zeb, Linoone can't drum, Meowstic's screens are turned against itself, and all other kinds of scenarios can be prevented and captilized on when Snatch is taken into consideration. Even Sub Vigoroth has to be wary of Snatch Zebstrika, although the taunt variant fears little from this set. With Zebstrikas less than amazing offensive presence against bulkier teams, this gives Zeb an almost stall-breaking capacity with means of dealing with and recovering on such a team. Pretty self explanatory. Replay demonstrating this below. I hope y'all enjoy this very fun set.

P.S.-Make sure you have a piloswine switch-in when running this set, as you are forced to Overheat on the switch-in and are useless afterwards. Solrock pairs well with this set.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-275773800

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't mind taking my set and forgetting who you took it from but please don't post a replay with a Magnemite vs a Magcargo. Now that I'm here though, I need to share a set :[
038.gif

Ninetales @ Salac Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
I don't like standard NP tales, but this is really cool. It's not hard to get salac activated and it deals with its biggest issue of being easily revenged after you set up. Other than that, plays like tales normally would except no Passho. Would simisear do this better? Not entirely, you have the increased bulk making it easier to set up, Flash Fire (rarely useful but something), and surprise tbh (it's mostly just the bulk which comes in clutch). I forgot to save replays and 2x was a sport but they were too haxy to be worth posting, but I know I beat grim and tone114 with it so that's something

Oh and Anty/Galbia theorized it first iirc, they just never really used it or anything

edit @ below jesus christ I mean I'm entirely aware I gave you the set but I said I don't hold it against you and was more interested at the magnemite+magcargo replay being the "hey check my set out" replay than anything. if you forgot that's fine, I didn't realize you guys cared that much

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This is a set I've been tinkering with a bit lately: physically based all-out attacker Simisear with Knock Off

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Superpower / Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

• Given threats like Carracosta and Piloswine have left the tier, Grass Knot has dwindled in effectiveness. It really only hits Golem (Focus Blast already OHKOes Golem though), and it has pretty disappointing BP on targets like Relicanth (40 BP) and Politoed (60 BP, or the same as a Hidden Power). So, I thought Knock Off would be much more useful here.
  • This set plays a lot like Simisage, in that it uses Knock Off + Superpower combined with a powerful special STAB attack, but it differentiates itself from Simisage in terms of its luring capabilities.
  • For example, Grumpig is a pretty common switch-in to Simisear's Sub/NP/Focus Blast/Fire Blast set, but if Grumpig switches into Simisear in this case, it's OHKOed by Knock Off after SR damage. Even if Grumpig is holding a Colbur Berry as it sometimes does, you're free to Knock Off again on the turn after Grumpig comes in and score the KO:
Leftovers:
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Grumpig: 320-377 (88.1 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Colbur Berry:
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Colbur Berry Grumpig: 160-188 (44 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
No item:
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Grumpig: 213-252 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

• Even if you're using Fire Blast / Focus Blast / Knock Off / Rock Slide with a more specially oriented set, Knock Off still 2HKOes:

Leftovers:
4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Grumpig: 252-299 (69.4 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Colbur Berry:
4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Colbur Berry Grumpig: 126-149 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
No item:
4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Grumpig: 169-200 (46.5 - 55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

• Simisear also removes other special walls such as Lickilicky and Regice that are often problematic to Pokemon like Floatzel and Zebstrika for your team:

252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regice: 278-330 (92.9 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Superpower vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Lickilicky: 291-343 (68.7 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Superpower / Low Kick vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 411-484 (135.1 - 159.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Other common switch-ins to Simisear are Pelipper, Swanna, and Pokemon with access to Flash Fire, such as Ninetales and Rapidash. They all get hit by LO Rock Slide as they're switching in, which makes switching into Simisear successfully pretty hard:

Swanna:
4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swanna: 203-239 (69.7 - 82.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swanna: 255-302 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Physically defensive Pelipper:

4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 101-120 (31.2 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 127-151 (39.3 - 46.7%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
--> Fire Blast, if running 252 SpA EVs, hits physical Pelipper harder than 4 Atk Rock Slide and can therefore use HP Electric as an option:
252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 127-151 (39.3 - 46.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Specially Defensive Pelipper:

4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Pelipper: 138-164 (42.7 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Pelipper: 177-208 (54.7 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Rapidash:

4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 185-218 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 234-278 (86.3 - 102.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Ninetales:

4 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 177-208 (61.6 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Simisear Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 221-263 (77 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • From a teambuilding standpoint, building this Simisear with special threats that enjoy Grumpig's absence is what makes this specific set so effective. Similarly, Flash Fire Pokemon are effectively lured by Rock Slide, which lets you build with Pokemon such as Regice that appreciate Rapidash and Ninetales being KOed. Additionally (although this may be fairly obvious), Simisear has a really easy time checking fat Grass-types via either Overheat or Fire Blast, which can help make offensive Water Spam even more potent than it already is.
I talked to Anonymous Man and gasquakee a bit about this via PM on Smogdown™, so thanks to them in part for leading me toward a more effective set. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)