Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well I have already tried bulky Gallade out as of now and it is actually surprisingly good. It can wall a lot of stuff with it's special bulk and has Will-O-Wisp to make up for it's physical bulk. Also Alomoomomomomomla is common and ugly and I don't like it so I wanted to use something different :).
Alomomola was my first analysis and it is precious to me. You can always check it out if you want to for some pointers. Click here for it.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Whats the bulky set for Mega Banette, and then whats the offensive one with D.Bond? I've seen various sets on the ladder used successfully, and I've seen Banettes with D.Bond and others without. Ones with Sucker Punch, others without, etc.

What's the usual sets for it, and EV spread?

Whats the bulky set for Mega Banette, and then whats the offensive one with D.Bond? I've seen various sets on the ladder used successfully, and I've seen Banettes with D.Bond and others without. Ones with Sucker Punch, others without, etc.

What's the usual sets for it, and EV spread?
The thing with Mega Banette is that it can run a huge variety of sets effectively. Almost any combination of the following can pretty much work: Destiny Bond, Knock Off, Taunt, Sucker Punch, Shadow Claw, Will-O-Wisp; its truly up to you what you want to do. You should almost always use Destiny Bond when using M-Banette; if you're not, you're doing it wrong, as that is really the main purpose to use Banette in the first place. Usually, Banette sets kinda look like this:

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia/Frisk
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant nature
-Destiny Bond
-Shadow Claw / Knock Off
-Sucker Punch / Knock Off
-Taunt / Knock Off

This is somewhat the standard for more offensively orientated Banette. 88 speed outspeeds 4 speed Cresslelia, and the rest is dumped into HP and attack. Like I stated earlier, this is extremely variable, and you can switch and swap most of the moves. I personally find D-Bond / Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch / Taunt to be most succesful, due to the ability to taunt walls and junk while maintaining a significant offensive presence, but the choice is up to you. Will-O-Wisp can be used somewhere, but personally I don't have an extra slot open for it. It is possible to run a more defensive spread by running WoW and Pain Split, moving some of the attack EVs to Defense, but in my opinion that is a waste of Banette's potential. Really, just put on Destiny Bond, and mix and match three of the moves I listed above until you find a set that works to your needs. There simply isn't a single "standard"

i have a semi simple question thats more of me raging but why am i seeing so many damn life orb steelix lower/mid ladder?!?!?!

I saw an opponent use Flamethrower Druddigon. If it had Sheer Force I'd understand this, but it was a Rocky Helmet Rough Skin.
Does a non-Sheer Force Flamethrower from Druddigon actually beat something common in RU that can't be beaten with a Fire Punch?

I saw an opponent use Flamethrower Druddigon. If it had Sheer Force I'd understand this, but it was a Rocky Helmet Rough Skin.
Does a non-Sheer Force Flamethrower from Druddigon actually beat something common in RU that can't be beaten with a Fire Punch?
Last generation it was mainly used for Steelix but now that Steelix usage has gone down it is not as viable anymore.

Only Pokemon that are much more physically bulky than specially bulky are going to be taking more from Flamethrower either way. With Sheer Force and LO, physically defensive Tangrowth and Steelix are both 2HKOed by Flamethrower and 3HKOed by Fire Punch. While Flamethrower still does more damage without Sheer Force or LO, you're looking at a 3HKO rather than a 4HKO or 5HKO on physically defensive Tangrowth or Steelix, respectively. Tangrowth doesn't always go for a physical build and Steelix is pretty rare this gen, so it's not really worth running Flamethrower over Fire Punch, especially without Sheer Force.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Whats the EV spread for mixed Emboar? I want to use one
EVs: 144 Spd / 112 Atk / 252 SAtk Mild Nature

This is a pretty good spread assuming you are running Fire Blast / Grass Knot / Super Power / Sucker Punch, outruns Gligar, 2HKOing with Fire Blast, while also hitting hard with its Physical attacks.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
EVs: 144 Spd / 112 Atk / 252 SAtk Mild Nature

This is a pretty good spread assuming you are running Fire Blast / Grass Knot / Super Power / Sucker Punch, outruns Gligar, 2HKOing with Fire Blast, while also hitting hard with its Physical attacks.
Why Mild nature instead of Rash?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why Mild nature instead of Rash?
Emboars typing is better Specially Defensively (switching into Grass type, Ice type, and Fire type moves), so it is probably better to run a -Def nature, although I have run one with a -SpD nature which you should do if you are concerned about opposing priority moves.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Emboars typing is better Specially Defensively (switching into Grass type, Ice type, and Fire type moves), so it is probably better to run a -Def nature, although I have run one with a -SpD nature which you should do if you are concerned about opposing priority moves.
Thanks, I will try both.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mew2, I actually run Rash on mixed Emboar most of the time. Extra protection on priority is nice, but outside of Moltres, Emboar is one of the better offensive responses to Escavalier in the tier as it 4x resists Megahorn while also resisting Iron Head and Knock Off.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
I posted this on the first page, but no one replied, so could someone please answer me: What is the big deal with Druddigon in this tier?

Mew2

Sex is overrated
Mew2, I actually run Rash on mixed Emboar most of the time. Extra protection on priority is nice, but outside of Moltres, Emboar is one of the better offensive responses to Escavalier in the tier as it 4x resists Megahorn while also resisting Iron Head and Knock Off.
I don't know how reliable Emboar is as a response to Escavalier since Emboar can't switch in even with a rash nature.

252+ Atk Escavalier Drill Run vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 280-330 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I posted this on the first page, but no one replied, so could someone please answer me: What is the big deal with Druddigon in this tier?
Well competitively, Druddigon was probably the absolute best Pokemon in BW2 RU and its still quite excellent today. However, its status as a top tier threat in BW2 RU along with a user named TROP started an inside joke that Druddigon was the most broken Pokemon in RU (and the entire game), and that it needs to be banned asap. So people joke about that quite often, even going so far as to make fake calcs of druddigon OHKOing xerneas with outrage etc. Nbd

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know how reliable Emboar is as a response to Escavalier since Emboar can't switch in even with a rash nature.

252+ Atk Escavalier Drill Run vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 280-330 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
You're outspeeding it though, so as long as Escavalier doesn't predict the switch-in, you're free and clear and don't lose as much health on a switch-in. Just something I've always preferred on mixed Emboar, but I'm not going to try and sit here and say Mild doesn't have it's advantages. It's more of a preference thing.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
You're outspeeding it though, so as long as Escavalier doesn't predict the switch-in, you're free and clear and don't lose as much health on a switch-in. Just something I've always preferred on mixed Emboar, but I'm not going to try and sit here and say Mild doesn't have it's advantages. It's more of a preference thing.
I totally agree with using Rash instead of Mild but I don't think that Emboar is a good counter to Esca even with Rash nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)