Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.

3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.

4. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.

5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?

Check the links in this topic before asking: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/base-stats-move-data-egg-moves-and-dream-world-abilities.78983/ (outdated, getting to fixing this)
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/

What Pokemon are in RU?

A list of legal Pokemon in RU can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/ru/

What is banned from RU?

You can see everything that's been banned from RU here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/bl2/

Why is Druddigon not banned?

are you a TROP alt?

Last edited:
By those broken stuff are u going to let them rub rampant first for awhile then ban them or are u going to just give them the direct boot?

To be more precise im stating those *obviously* broken by ru standards and are here only because they look fugly to many people somehow very few people use them

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Two questions:

1. Will there be any more quick suspects before the tier goes official? If so, around what time?

2. Why is Druddigon not banned?
1. We are not entirely sure, but it is likely that Tornadus will be the last quick banned Pokemon, while the council believes there are still some potentially broken Pokemon in the tier (2 in particular Oo), we also believe that waiting till RU is official and doing suspect tests are the best way to go about it. This could change in the remaining 3 weeks till RU is official, but I believe this is the plan at the moment.

2. The RU council is powered by Trop's tears, so Druddigon will remain RU for its entirety.

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is there such a long delay in banning a pokemon? Tornadus has been banned but can still be used in RU.
After the ban takes place, Molk informs the PS! administrators about the ban, and they implement the ban on the server. However, the Tornadus ban isn't actually implemented until the server is updated, so this can take a couple of days.

After the ban takes place, Molk informs the PS! administrators about the ban, and they implement the ban on the server. However, the Tornadus ban isn't actually implemented until the server is updated, so this can take a couple of days.
Ah I see, thanks for the answer.

So what is the update schedule looking like for RU? Is it gonna operate on OU's 3 month schedule or UU's monthly?
Also why isn't Druddigon banned?

atomicllamas

So what is the update schedule looking like for RU? Is it gonna operate on OU's 3 month schedule or UU's monthly?
Also why isn't Druddigon banned?
RU will update at the end of this month just like it did at the end of April, then it will be official. After RU is official, the tier will update every three months at the same time UU and OU do.

Trop's tears are delicious, we went over this already.

By those broken stuff are u going to let them rub rampant first for awhile then ban them or are u going to just give them the direct boot?

To be more precise im stating those *obviously* broken by ru standards and are here only because they look fugly to many people somehow very few people use them
The Pokemon in RU that were absolutely broken, such as Sableye, Kyurem, Tornadus and Azelf, were quick banned, which means they were banned from the tier before it becomes official, without having a suspect test for them beforehand. Sableye, Kyurem and Azelf were banned on April 20th, while Tornadus was banned more recently, on May 6. You can find more reasoning for the bans in this thread.

As the RU metagame is currently, there are no threats that deserve a quick ban, since nothing is either that broken or uncompetitive for the tier right now. Other Pokemon may move down to RU from UU because they receive less usage, and if they're broken then they will be banned too (though at that point, suspect tests will most likely be used).

I hope this answers your question :)

The Pokemon in RU that were absolutely broken, such as Sableye, Kyurem, Tornadus and Azelf, were quick banned, which means they were banned from the tier before it becomes official, without having a suspect test for them beforehand. Sableye, Kyurem and Azelf were banned on April 20th, while Tornadus was banned more recently, on May 6. You can find more reasoning for the bans in this thread.

As the RU metagame is currently, there are no threats that deserve a quick ban, since nothing is either that broken or uncompetitive for the tier right now. Other Pokemon may move down to RU from UU because they receive less usage, and if they're broken then they will be banned too (though at that point, suspect tests will most likely be used).

I hope this answers your question :)
I can finally use druddigon to my heart's content yay

Galladium

Banned deucer.
What's the obsession with Druddigon in this tier? I have played RU for ages but have never gotten why people joke about it so much.

This was already asked in the UU thread but now that RU finally has its own subforum and its own Q&A thread I'd like to bring up this post. What is the plan with threats that are only rarely used due to being quick banned by the UU suspect system, e.g. Hydregion/Magnezone, so that their usage statistics is not accurate to other rarely used pokemon.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This was already asked in the UU thread but now that RU finally has its own subforum and its own Q&A thread I'd like to bring up this post. What is the plan with threats that are only rarely used due to being quick banned by the UU suspect system, e.g. Hydregion/Magnezone, so that their usage statistics is not accurate to other rarely used pokemon.
They'll get usage to keep them from being RU, they're not UU in last month's usage because they were only allowed for a week/few days. I remember Molk specifically saying, and quoting literally, that he would not allow Hydreigon a day in the tier lol.

phantom

Banned deucer.
will there be more quick bans in the uu style where the council will vote for what they think is broken ?
As atomicllamas stated before, there are two Pokemon on the radar at the moment, but odds are they're going to be given a formal suspect test. There really hasn't been much of a concrete decision made on them yet, so just stay tuned till the end of the month and you'll see what's going to happen.

As for "uu style" bans, just so you don't get the wrong idea, once RU bans something it likely isn't going to be retested unless a significant metagame change occurs that warrants it; so in other words, once something is banned it's staying banned. RU isn't as lenient with quick bans like UU is because of the fact that we're only quick banning Pokemon that we're sure are obviously broken as opposed to UU banning something that's potentially broken for the sake of retesting it later on in a more stable environment.

They'll get usage to keep them from being RU, they're not UU in last month's usage because they were only allowed for a week/few days. I remember Molk specifically saying, and quoting literally, that he would not allow Hydreigon a day in the tier lol.
I know there is a good chance they will be UU by usage given time but the point stands that when tier shifts do occur they are starved for usage because of they were put into a quick ban. That said if they are going disregard the diluted statistics for the quick bans then that is good to hear then.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Froslass and Venomoth.
No cress :o
But really, why Froslass? It isn't at the absolute highest speed tier, it is fairly predictable, and hazard removal is more common than ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

phantom

Banned deucer.
But really, why Froslass? It isn't at the absolute highest speed tier, it is fairly predictable, and hazard removal is more common than ever.
Predictability doesn't make anything less effective based on that facet alone, see: Sableye. Second, hazard removal might be "common" (that doesn't necessarily make it good, might I add), but that's hardly an issue for Froslass. If you really want to know why Froslass is up for consideration, do play a bit more. Anyway, I'm not go in anymore depth on this topic because this isn't the appropriate time nor setting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)