Xurkitree Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Xurkitree

Electric
Abilities: Beast Boost
HP: 83
Atk: 89
Def: 71
SpAtk: 173
SpDef: 71
Spe: 83

Level Up

L1 - Tail Glow
L1 - Spark
L1 - Charge
L1 - Wrap
L1 - Thunder Shock
L7 - Thunder Wave
L13 - Shock Wave
L19 - Ingrain
L23 - Thunder Punch
L29 - Eerie Impulse
L31 - Signal Beam
L37 - Thunderbolt
L43 - Hypnosis
L47 - Discharge
L53 - Electric Terrain
L59 - Power Whip
L67 - Ion Deluge
L73 - Zap Cannon

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM72 - Volt Switch
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Charge
TM96 - Nature Power
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
WHY DOES THIS GET TAIL GLOW?!?

At least its coverage is limited, thank god. Only gets Dazzling Gleam, HP, Signal Beam, and Energy Ball.

To work in OU it will probably need to run scarf which renders tail glow moot. If these are legal in battle spot I'm sure speed passing to it will be one of the most cancerous strats of gen 7, although its coverage is kind of shallow. That's some ridiculous min/maxed sp. atk though.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
This is actually quite interesting. A choice scarf set will work, it simply has the raw power and movepool to pull it off. What Pokemon do we have that can hit that hard with a choice scarf? This is like Rampardos except Xurkitree actually has just enough speed and bulk to actually be a choice scarf user, of course it has more power too. It also has what is effectively special Moxie, which has great lategame clean up potential. As long as all the electric immunities are off the field, sweeps are pretty possible, as this thing still chunks electric resistances pretty heavily, and becomes very hard to check at +1.

And then of course it becomes a wallbreaker beyond all measure if you want to go down that path, with +3 Thunderbolt eliminates anything.

It gets Tail Glow, which in combination with ludicrous Special Attack and okay Speed, could probably push this thing over the edge into Ubers

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I must say I appreciate this thing's name. When I first read it, I didn't see the i. "Xurktree? Okay, kind of strange, but I guess the X and the awkward pronounciation is for weirdness". Then I read it again later. "Ahh, so not Xurk-tree, but... Xurkitree. Circuitry. Clever."

Also, with base 173 Sp.Atk, it doesn't really need Tail Glow. It doesn't have the Speed or Defenses to set it up either. If it does get Tail Glow up, it will probably KO everything in its path, at least everything slower than it - in the process of which, it will gain more Sp.Atk boosts. But if it comes across a fast Earthquake user - say, Garchomp - it's toast.

Interesting concept. More Special attack than Kyurem-w yes please. All other stats are medicore. Possible sets include Tail Glow+Sub+salac berry, and LO and Choice specs set that could clean up late game. It is pretty slow by OU standards so it could really shine with tailwind support

So what's the potential of Scarf Charge Beam to combine with Beast Boost as a revenge killer/late game sweeper? Even if they switch out, you may still be at +1. Kill the switch and maybe +3.

Slap Scarf on this mofo and Special Moxie sweep with Thunderbolt, or just Volt Switch to retain momentum. It has Energy Ball for Ground types, Dazzling Gleam for Dragons, and Signal Beam as a niche option to hit certain mons like Celebi. I can see this thing being quite good.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Scarf is overall the more threatening set for the early meta though. Nuclear powered Volt Switches combined with "good enough" coverage options give it everything it could ever need. It'll likely be big but tolerable in the early metas, where HO dominates and a really hard hitting scarfer is frustrating but checkable. As things slow down though, 173 SpA Tail Glow is going to prove to be far too oppressive for slower teams to ever form, so its ban is inevitable. There's absolutely no way that people will advocate banning Manaphy in ORAS but completely pass on this thing, as full stall simply has absolutely no options to even check it. Semi-stall is as slow as things can get with this around, and even that is a tremendous liability (mostly because neither keld nor sharp really counter this thing...).

MAMP

MAMP!
i really doubt tail glow on this will ever be more than a niche choice, its just too slow and too frail to ever really do much against any team that isnt full stall

Baton Pass some Speed on this thing = GG.

Unfortunately, I just noticed it doesn't learn Focus Blast.

Chansey will be a very hard stop for this thing.

252 SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 121-144 (18.8 - 22.4%) -- possible 5HKO

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Baton Pass some Speed on this thing = GG.

Unfortunately, I just noticed it doesn't learn Focus Blast.

Chansey will be a very hard stop for this thing.

252 SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 121-144 (18.8 - 22.4%) -- possible 5HKO

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO
Chansey can not stand up to it.

You switch Chansey in, Xuriktree Tail Glows. Xurkitree attacks, Chansey uses Toxic, Chansey dies next turn.

Alternatively, you switch in Chansey, Xurkitree Tail Glows. Xuriktree Tail Glows again, Chansey softboils attempting life-orb stall out Xurkitree, Chansey then takes 75-80% from Tail Glow and will die after a few turns of softboil spam.

Chansey can not stand up to it.

You switch Chansey in, Xuriktree Tail Glows. Xurkitree attacks, Chansey uses Toxic, Chansey dies next turn.

Alternatively, you switch in Chansey, Xurkitree Tail Glows. Xuriktree Tail Glows again, Chansey softboils attempting life-orb stall out Xurkitree, Chansey then takes 75-80% from Tail Glow and will die after a few turns of softboil spam.
... forgot about Stealth Rock.

But well, it does need Tail Glow to get past Chansey, which takes the risk of finding a turn to use it.

Or just pair it with a trapper, slap on a Scarf and go to town with it. It looks like it'd pair well with Dugtrio, who can eliminate the blobs and stuff like SpDef Tran/Tyranitar.

I don't see the point in running Tail Glow unless you ~really~ hate stall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)