VGC '12 Northern California Regional - Pleasanton, CA - Won by Nickscor & AlphaOmega!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too fun. Going 5-3 hurts, though. Deepspeed also got 5-3.

The winner of the Seniors is Jeremy Fan (or whatever), apparently the winner of the CA Regionals 2 years ago. The winner of the Juniors is Deepspeed's brother (darn you perfect score).

I also saw Huy, but I was too scared to go say hi.

It was great seeing you guys!

Had an amazing time.

Sadly i got disqqualified due to a an error of mine in my seating. Sucked, but I loved going my little brother was just shy of the top 12 by one battle.

Went 5-3, had a great time. Confuse Ray spam got me to 4-0 but then lost to OmegaDonut with his time stalling :P Downhill from there. Great day though.

Alright, here is the final round that I played in (Battle #): 47-20618-26052
(I highly doubt that this guy EV trained, though.)

In case someone was too lazy to open the video up, basically I won 4-0 with 2 Pokemon (Latios & Infernape) at 1 HP remaining. YEAH.

Ended up going 5-3, finishing 40th. Not bad for my first time being able to battle past round 1.

Faced Duy (whatever his username is) round 7 and just got destroyed... aw well, it was nice meeting some of you (really only two, but w/e)

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
9th place and I never got to tell them they spelled my name wrong. Also hope they didn't give out free stuff cause I got out of there FAST

Edit: DAM had I not been haxed once I had top 4, BLEH

I had fun there, ended up going 5-3 (Although every match I lost was EXTREMELY close). Faced a couple of smogonites, DaNukes and Duy I know for sure, im sure others too. It was a blast though. I got 34th overall

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
17th overall masters (6-2), totally upset by TheFourthChaser's 1 HP Tyranitar!

Shout outs to Zari (wish you could have stayed longer) and his bro !!!, Duy, TheFourthChaser, Kaphotics, NINAHAZA!, and of course our champ Nickscor, all whom I met for the first time, as well as Metabou, Huy, Age of Kings, OmegaDonut, and that guy whose Shedinja I timerstalled in the last battle. Definitely worth the drive to meet all of you face to face!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Didn't save any battle videos because I'm a dumbass and didn't realize I hadn't gotten the Vs. Recorder on that save yet, and I suck at warstories anyway, so I'll just summarize them here before I forget what happened. I don't think I played any other Smogonites, which was kind of disappointing.
Round 1
Went up against a Poképarent, his son was playing in the TCG. Flat-out told me he was expecting to lose, and his team wasn't even all level 50. 3-0'd him due to Marowak being slow and him double targeting it every turn.
1-0

Round 2
The only battle where I'd say I was unquestionably outplayed. He ran a rain team that managed to keep rain up almost constantly and totally shut me down (I was running sun).
1-1

Round 3
This battle consisted of me staring at an empty chair for about five minutes. This was pretty disappointing for two reasons - first, because I still might have had a chance of placing at this point and a no-show probably didn't do my opponent win % any good, and second, because I went to the tournament to battle people. Winning without effort isn't any fun.
2-1

Round 4
Went up against a Trick Room team. For some reason I decided to be a dumbass again and didn't use either of my Grass-types, so I got totally swept by his Slowbro. Trick Room wasn't even up for most of the game.
2-2

Round 5
I honestly don't remember what happened in this round, except that I won.
3-2

Round 6
Horribly haxy. It was a goodstuff team, and the battle ended with his last two Pokémon in the red. Between a one-turn sleep, a crit taking out one of my Pokémon that would have taken out one of his otherwise, a low damage roll ending a potential comeback, and some other stuff I don't remember, this game just did not go my way at all.
3-3

Round 7
Another goodstuff team, we seemed fairly evenly matched in terms of skill but miss hax on the first turn put me down a Pokémon for no gain and I never managed to recover.
3-4

Round 8
Seemed like standard Trick Room, but for some reason his entire team was faster (slower in TR) than my Marowak even though I was running Adamant and 31 Speed. That pretty much cost him the game, since he couldn't touch it with anything besides Ice Shard.
4-4

The battles didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but it was still fun to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones (and actually talk with you rather than just shout across the room like usual).

Great weekend. Great fights. Congrats to Nickscor, you now have the champion's curse. A few words of wisdom from me:

1. Don't be afraid to say Hi. It's all good and we know its hard to meet new people but it makes it even harder when you're too shy to interact :( Gotta be strong and come up and introduce yourself! We don't bite :P

2. Great games all around from everyone that I played that I recall. Chipmunk, Nidokingking, Bre(ludicolo), Nytherkewejlkwrhelkwjrlkjflkdjsfl.

3. Swiss is pretty cool when you have a larger group of people that you don't see often. I might have hated swiss at the beginning because I like the pressure of single elmination, but Swiss rounds give you time to hang out with your friends instead of playing back to back to back. Give us a top cut and most people will be happy with the format.

4. Don't be scared just because you get paired up with a player that's "better" than you. It's Pokemon. At first I didn't really believe the claims that it is a guessing game. but it really is, especially now with team preview. When it comes to high level play, both teams are going to be great in their build and structure, but the ultimate decision in who wins the game is going to be the person that guesses better. So if you get paired against someone that's very well known, don't get yourself down immediately. Play it through.

5. It was great meeting everyone new today, as well as seeing familiar faces. You all know who you are. Props to Kaphotics, Ninahaza, and OmegaDonut expecially for making the weekend really baller.

Damn retirement feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)