Unpopular opinions

Most of the buffs people suggest for the Ice-type either wouldn't actually matter much, or wouldn't make much sense from a flavor standpoint. The single biggest buff Ice needs is a design philosophy change; instead of slow, bulky Pokemon like Avalugg, Regice, Glastier, etc., Ice needs more fast offensive Pokemon like Weavile and Darmanitan and... wait, there basically are no other fast offensive Ice-types, and that's the problem. Ice is garbage defensively but very solid offensively, but offensive Ice-types are few and far between, and often fall into the typical Ice-type trap of having a slow, awkward stat spread. The few Ice-types that are designed as fast, offensive Pokemon prove that Ice has a ton of potential as a type, it just needs more Pokemon who are designed around that potential.

I also consider Rock to generally be as bad if not slightly worse than Ice in practice, at least in modern metagames. More weaknesses, half the resistances it does have are basically irrelevant, and Rock-types are often saddled with a similar design philosophy of being slow and bulky, which also doesn't mesh well with their type match-ups. Even the few Rock-types that do succeed arguably do so in spite of their Rock typing, not because of it (I would argue that Tyranitar, for instance, would be even better if it was, like, Ground/Dark or Dragon/Dark or something).

The single biggest buff Ice needs is a design philosophy change; instead of slow, bulky Pokemon like Avalugg, Regice, Glastier, etc., Ice needs more fast offensive Pokemon like Weavile and Darmanitan and... wait, there basically are no other fast offensive Ice-types, and that's the problem. Ice is garbage defensively but very solid offensively, but offensive Ice-types are few and far between, and often fall into the typical Ice-type trap of having a slow, awkward stat spread. The few Ice-types that are designed as fast, offensive Pokemon prove that Ice has a ton of potential as a type, it just needs more Pokemon who are designed around that potential.
Alolan Ninetails, Jynx, Froslass and Cryogonal are also fast.
Galarian Mr. Mime, Articuno, Mamoswine, Vanilluxe, and Kyurem also have a decent base Speed stat.

Alolan Ninetails
You're right, and it has a solid niche in OU as a support Pokemon, but that's almost entirely because of Aurora Veil. It's not really an offensive Pokemon with 81 base Sp. Atk.
95 base Speed is below average, and it doesn't have anything like Gorilla Tactics (which lets Darmanitan run a Scarf almost for free) to make up for it.
Froslass and Cryogonal
Again, not really offensive Pokemon.

Galarian Mr. Mime, Articuno, Mamoswine, Vanilluxe, and Kyurem
All of these are noticeably below average speed, except I guess Kyurem, who, again, is a fantastic Pokemon so that kind of proves my point. Most certainly none of them qualify as fast offensive Pokemon.

I did specify fast offensive Pokemon, not just fast Pokemon in general. Things like Froslass and Ninetales don't have have enough offensive presence to leverage Ice as a typing (which kind of sucks, because Froslass's typing in particular would be pretty scary if it had the stats to back it up).

I will defend Cryogonal until I die.
  • Levitate makes it easier for it to switch in. I mainly use it to remove hazards, so it doesn't have to worry about most of them. Also, Haze.
  • It's a monotype Gen 5 Pokémon with actual coverage! Granted, it won't get much use out of Solar Beam, but Flash Cannon and Ancient Power are something. (RIP Signal Beam 2002 - 2019)
  • It got a stat buff in Gen 7, so that's nice.
  • It's partially based on Nordic ice giants, and that's awesome.

To each their own, but Cryogonal's coverage leaves it walled by Steels and any Fire-type that can take an Ancient Power, a problem exacerbated by its disappointing base 95 Sp. Atk. It's not a terrible hazard remover, but the Ice type isn't doing it any favors in that regard (and neither is Levitate honesty, since the Stealth Rock weakness kind of forces it to run Heavy-Duty Boots anyways), and between its mediocre Sp. Atk, bad coverage, and support-oriented movepool, it still doesn't fall into that category of fast offensive Pokemon I was talking about.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Idk how unpopular an opinion this is, but my hot take of the day is this: we don't need any more Pokeballs.

Item bloat is often talked about as a problem in this series and in nothing is that more evident than the sheer amount of Pokeball variants we have. Except, unlike with redundant items from older games, they can't be hidden away in the coding since Pokemon will retain them on their status screen in perpetuity. There's an impressive amount of variety, but we've got enough for pretty much every scenario.

And yet, going into Gen IX, we've got 38 Pokeball types*. Enough. So many of them are redundant, such as the Dive Ball. Possibly the best example of ball redundancy, because it literally took one game to become so. Since FRLG did not feature the ability to dive**, the Dive Ball works as a regular Pokeball. Later games without diving give it a catch modifier on water tiles, but since the vast majority of Pokemon found on water tiles are of the Water type it's functionally no different to using a Net Ball.

Some of the legacy ball variants are just plain unneeded. The Sport Ball, which in HGSS had the same level of efficiency as a Great Ball, now works identically to a Pokeball. It has no purpose except to look funky and different - but if it's just a glorified Pokeball, there's no point adding it back to the game data. Give it a new function or don't bother.

On the one hand it's nice that every ball has been made available, since so many would otherwise be exclusive to older titles. I certainly appreciated the re-addition of the Apricorn Balls in Gen VII, since most of those do have niche and useful catch effects. But the uselessness of some of the older balls demonstrates in my opinion why new balls are not needed - special cases like the Beast Ball aside. We really do have enough.

*though not all of these carry forward - no Pokemon can be in a Park Ball, and it remains to be seen if the L:A Pokeballs will be maintained

**amusingly, a trainer on Route 19 in RBYFRLG states that "I tried diving for POKEMON, but it was a no go! [...] You have to fish for sea POKEMON!" Maybe Kanto and Johto's seas are more inhospitable than Hoenn's...

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Idk how unpopular an opinion this is, but my hot take of the day is this: we don't need any more Pokeballs.

Item bloat is often talked about as a problem in this series and in nothing is that more evident than the sheer amount of Pokeball variants we have. Except, unlike with redundant items from older games, they can't be hidden away in the coding since Pokemon will retain them on their status screen in perpetuity. There's an impressive amount of variety, but we've got enough for pretty much every scenario.

And yet, going into Gen IX, we've got 38 Pokeball types*. Enough. So many of them are redundant, such as the Dive Ball. Possibly the best example of ball redundancy, because it literally took one game to become so. Since FRLG did not feature the ability to dive**, the Dive Ball works as a regular Pokeball. Later games without diving give it a catch modifier on water tiles, but since the vast majority of Pokemon found on water tiles are of the Water type it's functionally no different to using a Net Ball.

Some of the legacy ball variants are just plain unneeded. The Sport Ball, which in HGSS had the same level of efficiency as a Great Ball, now works identically to a Pokeball. It has no purpose except to look funky and different - but if it's just a glorified Pokeball, there's no point adding it back to the game data. Give it a new function or don't bother.

On the one hand it's nice that every ball has been made available, since so many would otherwise be exclusive to older titles. I certainly appreciated the re-addition of the Apricorn Balls in Gen VII, since most of those do have niche and useful catch effects. But the uselessness of some of the older balls demonstrates in my opinion why new balls are not needed - special cases like the Beast Ball aside. We really do have enough.

*though not all of these carry forward - no Pokemon can be in a Park Ball, and it remains to be seen if the L:A Pokeballs will be maintained

**amusingly, a trainer on Route 19 in RBYFRLG states that "I tried diving for POKEMON, but it was a no go! [...] You have to fish for sea POKEMON!" Maybe Kanto and Johto's seas are more inhospitable than Hoenn's...
Presumably they’re still there because it might cause issues transferring Pokemon in those balls forward and its just easier to have them in the code.

Presumably they’re still there because it might cause issues transferring Pokemon in those balls forward and its just easier to have them in the code.
Tbh I believe the Pokemon games have a lot of random "legacy data" in them just for ease of copypasted code and ID sustainability.
Es, afaik gen 8 id lists still have things like Z crystals, Z moves, megastones, even hidden power, simply cause it helps keeping porting forward when you're still sticking with the same lists/data, even if they don't get used anymore.

(Some bits of code can also just be leftovers of beta features, es maybe other type of Pokeballs were originally supposed to be in L.A., then they decided to not have them but they had already made the code for the functionality so just left it there to not mess with the data)

Most of the buffs people suggest for the Ice-type either wouldn't actually matter much, or wouldn't make much sense from a flavor standpoint. The single biggest buff Ice needs is a design philosophy change; instead of slow, bulky Pokemon like Avalugg, Regice, Glastier, etc., Ice needs more fast offensive Pokemon like Weavile and Darmanitan and... wait, there basically are no other fast offensive Ice-types, and that's the problem. Ice is garbage defensively but very solid offensively, but offensive Ice-types are few and far between, and often fall into the typical Ice-type trap of having a slow, awkward stat spread. The few Ice-types that are designed as fast, offensive Pokemon prove that Ice has a ton of potential as a type, it just needs more Pokemon who are designed around that potential.

I also consider Rock to generally be as bad if not slightly worse than Ice in practice, at least in modern metagames. More weaknesses, half the resistances it does have are basically irrelevant, and Rock-types are often saddled with a similar design philosophy of being slow and bulky, which also doesn't mesh well with their type match-ups. Even the few Rock-types that do succeed arguably do so in spite of their Rock typing, not because of it (I would argue that Tyranitar, for instance, would be even better if it was, like, Ground/Dark or Dragon/Dark or something).
While i do agree that ice types should be designed like glass canon instead of a wall or tank. Ice type still needs resistances to switch in or set up.

Ice being resistant water and grass makes perfect sense.

Best buff rock could get is having more accurate moves. Why all good rock types have low accuracy?
Also i don't why rock doesn't resist rock and bug types.

I don't think TTar would have been better as a Dragon/Dark Type. Defensive they are kinda equal but offensively rock/dark is way more potent than dragon/dark.

Why all good rock types have low accuracy?
Tbh probably because their effects are actually stronger then average.
Rock Slide notably being a high BP flinch *spread* move has made it a rolling meme when it comes to official competitions, to the point I suspect one of the reasons for Dynamax having flinch immunity was to prevent the same "everyone runs rock slides" and having games decided on who gets more flinches off it.

flinch hax.jpg

On a related note gf fucked some type comninations by designing them as a polar oppolar opposite to their types. The only electric/poison type Toxtricity is a special wallbreaker meanwhile electric/poison is a great defensive type. Same with the only ice/ground type mamoswine. It should have been a glass canon instead of a tank.

Tbh probably because their effects are actually stronger then average.
Rock Slide notably being a high BP flinch *spread* move has made it a rolling meme when it comes to official competitions, to the point I suspect one of the reasons for Dynamax having flinch immunity was to prevent the same "everyone runs rock slides" and having games decided on who gets more flinches off it.

View attachment 456320
Flinch is basically useless for rock types because there are only 4 unique non legendary rock types with base speed over 80. And that includes Archeops.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Yes, I get that. I'm fine with keeping the ones we have but I'm saying that there shouldn't be more.

On on topic of balancing types

imo

Bug - resist fairy, supereffective against it
Steel - Not effective against ground and fighting, doesn't resist dragon
Grass - resist rock, supereffective against electric
Electric - resist water, weak against grass
Ice - resist water and grass, hail increases physical defense
Rock - resist rock and bug

My suggestions won't make types equal(and there is no need for them to be equal). But it would bring the gap to healthy level.

Personally, I don't really want Rock to get widely distributed accurate physical moves, because it's part of the type's identity. It's not just the strong moves that can miss, it's a pervasive theme across the entire power curve. Rock Blast can miss. Rock Tomb can miss. Rock Throw can miss. Smack Down is the one odd move out.

If Rock got a strong reliable move, there wouldn't be any more joking about Stone Edge's accuracy. I feel similarly about an accurate special Fighting move that's strong enough to be worth using over Focus Blast.

Personally, I don't really want Rock to get widely distributed accurate physical moves, because it's part of the type's identity. It's not just the strong moves that can miss, it's a pervasive theme across the entire power curve. Rock Blast can miss. Rock Tomb can miss. Rock Throw can miss. Smack Down is the one odd move out.

If Rock got a strong reliable move, there wouldn't be any more joking about Stone Edge's accuracy. I feel similarly about an accurate special Fighting move that's strong enough to be worth using over Focus Blast.
Weird reasoning.

Anyways Smack down doesn't misses. or for that matter power gem or accelrock or ancient power.

Last edited:

I get the idea behind type identity, but having an entire type's identity be that it has no reliable moves is pretty awful game design. If type identity is so important, then maybe it should have a different identity. Maybe the Splinters status from PLA could be introduced to the main game as an effect for Rock-type moves, the way Freeze is associated with Ice, and Burn and Paralysis are, with exceptions, associated with Fire and Electric respectively.

Flinch is basically useless for rock types because there are only 4 unique non legendary rock types with base speed over 80. And that includes Archeops.
Cool, but you do realize that pretty much every other physical attacker runs Rock Slide if they can cause of how good that move is in doubles right?
No? You never played or watched VGC?
Even in singles, Rock/Ground is one of the best "2 move neutral coverage" you can run, and most ground types will always run Stone Edge or Rock Slide on top of their ground stab, as well as other way around obviously, rock types will generally run Earthquake or similar moves on top of their stab.

That's not gonna help the 8 gens of slow Ice mons we already got tho.

Cool, but you do realize that pretty much every other physical attacker runs Rock Slide if they can cause of how good that move is in doubles right?
No? You never played or watched VGC?
Even in singles, Rock/Ground is one of the best "2 move neutral coverage" you can run, and most ground types will always run Stone Edge or Rock Slide on top of their ground stab, as well as other way around obviously, rock types will generally run Earthquake or similar moves on top of their stab.
1) Yeah just sabotage an entire type because Charlizard and Landorus-T can shine in VGC

2) Most ground types are slow so they don't get any benefit from flinch.

3) There are very few mons in singles who uses rock slide for 30% flinch chance.

1) Yeah just sabotage an entire type because Charlizard and Landorus-T can shine in VGC

3) There are very few mons in singles who uses rock slide for 30% flinch chance.
Exactly who mentioned Charizard in all this? If anything Charizard is extremely vulnerable to Rock Slide due to being 4x weak and the simple existance of the move has always hindered its viability in VGC outside of Mega Chari Y. In fact it's due to the fact almost noone was running it that it was able to get somewhat moderate success in VGC gen 8, since rock coverage is pretty lacking in general, and its other 2 main weaknesses, electric and water, are much easier to cover with redirects.

You can save the angry ranting really, this is how reality works. Rock Slide exists and it's been (was, since due to Dynamax it was almost never used this gen) one of the most common moves used in VGC, and as stated above, many phisical attackers use either Rock Slide or Stone Edge as coverage moves due to complementing extremely well Fighting and Ground stabs that lot of phisical attackers use by hitting Flying and Bug types supereffectively.

Also sadly your (let me be blunt) absolute lack of knowledge of how competitive pokemon works shows again after the whole Weavile meme: just because rock types are slow often, doesn't mean they don't get to use the flinch chance of Rock Slide. Most defensive pokemon in singles will not invest in speed, and do get outsped by bulky pokemon, meaning that several defensive pokemon can be one flinch away from losing a 1v1 against pretty much any flinch-move user.

On top of it, certain slow pokemon have been consistently used in Trick Room teams in doubles, and guess what, when you're slow, in trick room you go first. Stakataka notably is a pokemon that actually uses this in singles too, and has been able to run Rock Slides just as well in doubles during the timeframes where it was good or Trick Room was a viable strategy. (same applies to Gigalith during restricted formats)

TLDR: you may have a lot of unpopular one-liners opinion, but when it comes to competitive pokemon strenght, you may want to actually get some informations first before dubbing something as "bad" or "undeservedly punishing".

That's why I don't particularly care that Rock Slide is kind of wack. (Even though Worldie raised an excellent point as for why certain mons invest in Speed and why TTar's base 61 Speed is so important to it.)

If anything, there should be something better that actually synergizes well with the type.

Matter of fact, this is one of Pokémon's main flaws. Ultimately, a lot of types lack signature moves. Something that truly defines them instead of "Hey, STAB Ice Beam hits pretty hard, but you really should run it on a Water-type instead lol"

Ice does have options like these with Freeze-Dry and Avalanche, but they don't synergize too well with their signature status condition (Freeze).

Fighting used to have a great one in Close Combat, but SwSh ruined it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 10)