Unpopular opinions

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
This thread should be fairly straightforward: post your personal opinions of some part of the Pokemon franchise that most would deem "unpopular". For instance, if you believe most Pokemon fans to enjoy the first generation of games (Red/Blue/Yellow) more than others - they consider themselves "genwunners" - and the fourth generation to be the worst (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum), then your unpopular opinion would be that "Generation IV games are the best games/far better than Generation I!" You may or may not be under siege every post thereafter, but...

Anyway, don't use this thread to flame popular popular opinions or to provoke/troll those that have opinions that differ from yours. The entire point of this thread is to say things that aren't necessarily agreed upon. Feel free to discuss them in as civil a manner as possible, though. I'm not adding stuff to the OP for posterity anymore because this thread blew up haha.

I'll start, to give you guys an example: I don't think Charizard is the most hype-worthy Generation I Pokemon. I was always much more a fan of Arcanine, Clefable, and Snorlax. The TCG, anime, and tons of fans really overplayed Charizard imo and I would've gladly paid the same amount for foils of most other Generation I mons that people paid for the rare collectible Charizard cards. In all, the hype surrounding the salamander just never made sense to me.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree that Charizard gets too much hype; it was never good in battle and nothing about its design really screams "major badass" to me like... actually none of the Gen 1 Pokemon look badass except Mewtwo and maybe Gengar.

Gen I is the worst overall, not the best, due to the unbalanced gameplay (the comp battles are still fun despite their simplicity compared to now) and a lot of the mons just being unimpressive. It doesn't suck per say, but Genwunners are annoying with how nostalgia-blind they are.

The first Pokemon Movie is stupid bar the first 10 minutes with Mewtwo's backstory. Wasted a perfectly good plot there.

I never hated Tracey from the anime like everyone else, but I do agree Brock was better.

Whitney isn't hard, you guys are all pussies. While I'm at it, none of the games' story modes are actually hard except for Colosseum.

The 3rd Movie is legit good by normal kids movie standards. By Pokemon standards it's fucking amazing and the best movie overall.

I actually like the designs of Dialga and Palkia while everyone else seems to think they're too complicated. For me the "overdesigning" makes them seem as powerful and regal as the lore says they are (can't really describe it any better than that). On a related note I don't mind the fact that Gen IV introduced so many legends since they all look amazing and/or are good in battle.

I actually like Vanilluxe's design too.

I like sprites a lot more than 3D models, and miss Gen V's animations. I wish Pokemon didn't go 3D for handhelds.

Everybody says the gameplay of the PMD games is bland, but I actually enjoyed it. It's also pretty hard at times.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My turn!!

I think Misty (this is about the anime) is a very overrated character. For one thing I do not feel she was the best of Ash's female companions and certainly did not have the best relations with Ash (personally I think Dawn had a far greater friendship with Ash. I also feel like Serena has better relations with Ash.). I personally feel like Misty is only so popular because nostalgia and originality and stuff.

I don't think Cilan was really that bad of a character in the anime. Brock was definitely better but I did find Cilan to be fairly amusing and he did have his good points.

I like Klinklang and I think it is cute.

I like almost all of the cross-generational evolutions from DPP and I think all of them were necessary.

I like the designs of a lot of the Mega Evolutions. I like Mega Evolutions in general and many of them were needed (except for like Scizor, Tyranitar, Garchomp, etc.)

Generation I is the most overrated generation ever

I actually like Ash as a character and have a healthy respect for him, especially in the XY and DP series

I like Ash's TPCi Voice (aka the current one) a lot more than the 4Kids one.

Kanto is exceptionally bland

I think Black and White spent way too much time on dialogue and it was so time consuming to see. It got boring kind of fast.

I think Gens 4-6 are better than the first three

I still liked Brock in the DP series. Especially because of that Croagunk, Croagunk made the running gag ten times more hilarious.

I think Team Aqua and Team Magma are the most interesting villainous teams ever made.

Johto was very bland and except for Tyranitar, Heracross, and the Tower duo, many of its Pokemon are just not very memorable.

That's quite a long list of my own, but yeah.

I agree with many of the above:
I prefer Blastoise over Charizard. Always have.
Whitney wasn't difficult at all.
3 is the best film (really, that's not a common opinion?)

Opinions not said yet:
I like Trubbish. I think it is cute.
I do not like Blaziken. I just don't like it's design* or its movepool (I hate High Jump Kick!).
Bulky Pokémon are the best.
Zubat is cool. I mean, it evolves into Crobat!
I do not find Gardevoir sexy. Like, at all.
I do not like choice items.

*Mega Blaziken fixes my problems with it.

One the subject of finding ANY mon sexy (something I've never understood to begin with), I've never understood people who thought that Mega Mawile was "waifu" material. It has 2 giant flesh ripping mouths coming out of its head. What's attractive about that?

If I had to list my two favorite teams, first would be Plasma, then Rocket. Why Rocket? I honestly find their simplicity enjoyable, especially compared to Team Flare, whose goal seemed pointless to the point where I can't even remember it anymore, and whatever the team was for Diamond and Pearl. I actually had to look up the Gen IV team, which is already a bad sign. Team Rocket was a well-organized team with a goal: steal Pokemon. No inflated sense of justice, just a simple, tangible goal that can easily be measured.

I also don't think there's been a cool starter since GSC. Screw Hoenn, we need Mega-Evolutions for the Johto starters.

At this point I see more blind hate for gen 1 than blind love. Everyone wants to avoid being a genwunner that they go too far in the other direction.

I think Hoenn is the best looking region. (in GBA graphics too)

The regions haven't been memorable since gen 3. Ask a fan to name the cities from Kanto and then ask them to name them from Sinnoh.

I love seeing Zubats in caves because Crobat is awesome.

If gen 2 didn't have Kanto people wouldn't like it nearly as much.

Wooper for cutest Pokemon.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really think the music in D/P, with a small handful of amazing exceptions, it's really, really shitty. Most of the tracks in the game deteriorate into a jumbled cacophony of instruments playing at the same time for no other reason than technical show-off.

Also, Sinnoh is the worst region, with Unova trailing close behind. It's nigh-impossible to traverse on foot, its cities are ugly and all the routes look the same. Contrast Hoenn, which is amazingly varied, and where all the cities save for a handful are reachable by foot/bike/boat in minutes. At least Unova also has a lot of variety, but its utter linearity subtracts a lot of points in my book.

I've never really liked Lucario.

I feel the "evil team" trope really, really needs a break. They've become increasingly bad and cartoonish since Aqua/Magma, which were pretty bad themselves.

Johto is an incredibly bland region.

Gen six is the most fun to play and is probably the best at the moment. Whine all you want about the older games, but gen six has the best breeding mechanics, convenient way to communicate with people, Secret bases, dressing-up, Exp. Share, and a lot of legendary Pokemon, etc.

Everyone cries that every Pokemon game story is different and some stories are better than others when they're all the same to me. You're a kid who fights in eight gyms while dealing with your next door neighbor(s) and an evil team. That's why I never understood why people want to replay Emerald when Omega Ruby exists or people are proud buying the older games. Congrats, you paid $60 for HeartGold or you made an expensive purchase online to have a Japanese Green version shipped to you from Japan with a Gameboy to play a story that hasn't changed much over two decades.

Anime has always been shit, even season one and people my age that think the season one of Pokemon is great have to much nostalgia up their asses. Yeah, I enjoyed the movies and the show from first to sixth grade when I was a dumb kid, then I realized as I got older that it was really bad. Maybe if they got rid of Character of the Day, made interesting movies that didn't score below 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, and tried to introduce continuity I would rate the anime differently.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
This is pretty much my favourite topic, since it seems like most of my opinions are somewhat unpopular x_x. I'll start with the main ones:

Pokémon Colosseum is the best game in the franchise, including spin-offs (since Colo & XD are certainly main series games to me) and Pokémon XD: Gales of Darkness isn't far behind. Everyone these days are complaining about the linearity of the Pokémon franchise and how we need a "break" from the standard formula, yet most haven't played the GCN games yet. Colosseum and XD are exactly what the Pokémon franchise should do should they want to break off from the standard formula for a little bit. If Game Freak actually got behind the production of a shadow Pokémon game for the Wii U, it would undoubtedly be something extraordinary, with a totally renovated Orre region with some iconic locations (such as Phenac, Realgam, Pyrite, Outskirt and Agate) all looking stunning in HD but a far more detailed region and probably an expansion as crime levels slowly decrease, following XD's story. Yeah, this is probably wish-listing at this stage, but everyone knows that Colosseum has the right formula, because it's considered the only "hard" game in the franchise, and it does disregard the standard formula.

I try to find inspiration in every single design. Sure, I have gut reactions with certain Pokémon, but most of the time said reactions aren't negative. There are only a handful of designs that I don't like, and for probably the majority of them, the reason is just that they are uninspired.

I actually think that Sinnoh is the greatest region, and the only reason why I don't consider Gen 4 to be my favourite handheld games are because of the shitty engine making the games so goddamn slow. The selection of Pokémon there is actually very good for me, because for the most part I'm not a huge fan of Fire-Type Pokémon, and while I do love some of them (Slugma line, Numel line and Torkoal. Pretty much gen 3 ;)) I didn't miss them too much. Sinnoh is definitely the least boring and most variated region out there. You have the far north, high, snowy regions of Snowpoint City, stretching down to the bustling port towns of Canalave and Sunnyshore, and then areas completely frozen in time and nature such as Eterna City and Eterna Forest. It really was an adventure heading through the region, because it's so variated but well tied together at the same time, which we don't really see so much with other regions.

Defog was good. People hate on Defog so much, but I don't see nearly as much hate for Flash, which was the same thing but worse.

Gen 4 evolutions were fantastic, and some of my favourite Pokémon were introduced here. Mismagius, Ambipom, Honchkrow and Weavile are just some examples, which probably stems from the fact that Misdreavus, Aipom, Murkrow and Sneasel were all shadow Pokémon in Colo, but no one can deny that they are fantastic upgrades to previously weak Pokémon.

Cross-generational evolutions need to come back, desperately. People hated on the idea so much for no good reason, which I think is where mega-evolutions come from, but Pokémon who actually needed upgrades like Mawile are now stuck with mega-evolutions, as opposed to an actual evolution using exactly the same design and stats if wanted. Where was this hate with Scizor and Slowking in generation 2, for example? With Pokémon who actually need evolutions like Mawile and Banette, who also coincidentally have some of the most detailed designs of all the mega-evolutions, Game Freak should just dream up some plot like "over decades of mega-evolution being used, Pokémon eventually stopped requiring the stone to evolve, and then Pokémon such as Mega-Banette became regular evolutions!". If they want to keep the already UU/OU-tier mega-evolutions in the game, that's fine, just don't force Pokémon who deserve more such as Mawile to be left behind because for some reason they decided to give it a mega-evolution as opposed to a regular one.

X & Y are incredibly drab. The region is boring, the story is the worst in the series yet, and they introduced less new Pokémon that in Generation 2, which were literally just sequels to generation 1! It seems like the development team slacked in every single part of the games that they could, which is really disappointing.

I've definitely forgotten some, but this should do for now.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I found RSE/ORAS to not be very good. I didn't like the designs of the games at all. Hoenn just did not excite me as much as Johto did. Not having night cycles killed it for me.

I like Garbodor and Vanilluxe. (This actually seems to be a popular opinion!) I dislike a lot of Gen 1 designs. I always bring up Muk/Grimer when people whinge about Trubbish/Garbodor.

I like Team Galactic and found Cyrus' plans to be far more scary than anything else in Pokemon ever. Platinum is probably in my top 3 Pokemon games. Say what you will about their fashion sense, their plan was downright terrifying.

I loved the added difficulty that Colosseum and XD brought to the table, and I thoroughly enjoyed both games. I liked being "psuedo bad".

I like Black and White for the pure reason you never have to use a single HM throughout the game (bar the Cut tree at the start) if you don't want too.

I don't like Charizard at all. Or Lucario.

Vanilluxe is one of my favourite Pokemon.

Gen 4 is my favourite gen by far, but it's mostly older players that dislike this gen, so it's not really that unpopular. I enjoyed so much of Platinum - characters, storyline, region, mons, mechanics. It feels so well-built to me and really got me hooked on Pokemon. Second place is Johto. My least favourite is Hoenn :*

Klefki is my favourite Pokémon of Gen 6 and one of my favourite overall.

I... liked the plot of XY to some extent, looking back. While the overall plot itself was badly paced and not well organized... well, fuck, that was never a reason to make me hate Metal Gear. I felt that when XY's plot had a good part, it had a really good part. The war flashback was brilliant, and all the emotional parts hit the right notes -- Lysandre's tear, Lysandre throwing his Mega Evo visor thing to the floor in rage after you defeat him, and... well, not gonna lie, my favourite moment in all of Pokémon, Az just falling to his knees, hands cast outward as his Floette returns to the teary-eyed giant. Why the fuck could all of XY not have been this good.
Another reason I like XY's plot is because in conjunction with ORAS, it seems to be giving some sort of connection between each region/generation's story. No longer are they all disconnected individual stories; there's some kind of... progression and connection I can't quite explain easily. The expanded illustrative history it gives makes it very easy and fun to come up with your own theories; maybe the Ultimate Weapon is what distorted the DNA into Deoxys and it's meteor, perhaps it's what hit Kyurem into the Giant Chasm; there's just so many things you can come up with.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Let's see here

1) I absolutely despise Parasect. Nothing against shrooms or zombie bugs though. I just...hate it

2) Pokemon Rumble was very addictive

3) With an exceedingly small number of exceptions, I choose my favorite Pokemon mostly from their ability to realistically win me games. If they were good in a previous generation, I will maintain my like for them in respect for what they have done. This list generally consists of top OU (or standard) mons, because they see the most use and are often used in many formats, and Ubers, because they're simply the strongest Pokemon around. This helped me solve my problems when deciding which Pokemon to favorite many years ago, but does give me issues with Smogon's suspect tests.

4) When I go on Free Battle Spot, I use Ubers with a mission to crush gimmick teams. This is a response to all the youtube vids of gimmicks crushing Ubers back in PBR. I don't think it's entertaining when people run flashy "strategies" that don't work against good players.

5) I find Groudon to be cute, and I don't find Gardevoir attractive. Cutest mon is still Latias, though.

6) Hoenn is the best region

7) The anime needs more trainers with legendary Pokemon.

8) My favorite theme in Sinnoh is an unused theme. It plays when you step into the Mystery Zone.

9) Kricketune's cry is not that amazing.

Last edited:
This is a quite good topic but not the easiest to answer. I'm sometimes not sure what counts as unpopular since it is hard to know if the majority of the fandom agrees with me or not regarding many things. I find myself to agree with a lot of things others have already posted here, even if most of these things probably are unpopular regarding the fandom in general. But anyway, here are some of my own.

HG/SS are among my least favorite games in the series. In terms of the enjoyment I have gotten out of all games in the series that I have played, they are at the very bottom. The main thing that ruined them for me was the horrible level curve and the lack of good training spots, and the rest of the things they had to offer did nothing to make up for this. I felt like the games were filled with wasted potential and opportunities that they never made something good with. I didn't like how features from previous games were either removed or copy-pasted, and I didn't care much for any of the new features. I strongly disliked one feature in particular, which is my next point for the thread. These games were also released when my interest in Pokemon was at its all-time low, and they did nothing to make me regain my previously higher interest in the franchise. There wasn't a lot of things I liked from these games, and if it hadn't been for those very few things, I couldn't have asked for worse remakes.

I don't like the following Pokemon feature, at least not the way it was done in HG/SS. I could tolerate it in Yellow and D/P/P, but that's because I felt that it was much better done there. In HG/SS, there was nothing I liked about it. The feature didn't feel like it was well implemented, the Pokemon were stuck in a two-sprite cycle instead of standing still while the player stood still, and walking as the player walked, like it was in Yellow and D/P/P. I had expected to be able to choose which Pokemon to follow me, but no, it was always the first one in my party. Always. Which is another thing I didn't like about the feature, you were forced to use it throughout the whole game. Was it really that hard to add a function to just turn it off? If this feature returns in any future games and if it works the same way as in HG/SS, I won't get those games. I'm dead serious.

The idea of future Kanto remakes or re-remakes disgust me. I got an urge to vomit the first few times I heard of this idea but have since then grown a bit more tolerant of it even if I still strongly disagree with it. I do personally never want to see Kanto in another game, having seen it in four generations of which I only really think one did the region well, I would be fine if we never got to return to it. I have always hoped that Game Freak would focus on creating new games instead of trying to recreate the past, but given recent developments for the franchise and the company, I fear the worst. In case those games should happen, it is very unlikely I'll get them even if they would turn out to be good.

On the topic of Kanto remakes... I think that FR/LG are among the most underrated games in the series. While they are not my personal favorites, I like them and I think they are much better remakes than HG/SS were (haven't played OR/AS so no opinion there). When I look at polls for the best games at Pokemon sites, FR/LG usually has either zero votes or just very few, and people in general seem to either dislike them or like them but not have them as their personal favorite, which is a category I fall in too. All the people who ask for Kanto remakes need to remember that two excellent ones already exist, albeit slightly outdated by modern standards.

I like almost all Pokemon to some degree. There are only two I can say that I actually dislike and that is mostly for personal reasons rather than only because of their designs. It has never made sense to me how people can be fans of the series but actually dislike a large chunk of the creatures that make up the very core of the franchise. Naturally, some Pokemon seem a bit weird for me when a generation is new and when I first see them, but they grow on me over time. For example, I thought Chesnaught and Barbaracle were weird when X/Y were new, but both of them have grown on me with time.

I try to find inspiration in every single design. Sure, I have gut reactions with certain Pokémon, but most of the time said reactions aren't negative. There are only a handful of designs that I don't like, and for probably the majority of them, the reason is just that they are uninspired.
I pretty much agree with this.

Dunno if this is unpopular or not but it's an opinion I don't really see often. HG/SS are objectively the best games in the series. and they're as close to perfection as you can get in video games. I know I'm exaggerating here a bit but I really believe that.
First of all, this is not an unpopular opinion in the slightest, I can promise you that many people will agree with you (as in HG/SS are their favorites or among their favorites).

I disagree though. To me, they are among worst in the series and I think they are highly flawed and imperfect games (explained parts of why I think so earlier in this post, willing to go into more detail if people want that). But beyond that, they are not "objectively" the best in any way because such a thing does not exist, what games we find good or bad are subjective, nothing else. You are welcome to think HG/SS are the best games in the series, that's your opinion and that's fine, you are entitled to it. It makes them the best in your personal subjective opinion, if anything. But saying they are the objectively best, especially without backing it up, and posting a popular opinion like that in a thread about unpopular opinions is not a good thing, and I'm not sorry for saying that your post is one of the worst ones I have ever read.

That's all I had for now. I might have some more unpopular opinions that I can't think of right now, and some that I'm not sure whether they are unpopular or not.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First of all, this is not an unpopular opinion in the slightest, I can promise you that many people will agree with you (as in HG/SS are their favorites or among their favorites).

I disagree though. To me, they are among worst in the series and I think they are highly flawed and imperfect games (explained parts of why I think so earlier in this post, willing to go into more detail if people want that). But beyond that, they are not "objecitively" the best in any way because such a thing does not exist, what games we find good or bad are subjective, nothing else. You are welcome to think HG/SS are the best games in the series, that's your opinion and that's fine, you are entitled to it. It makes them the best in your personal subjective opinion, if anything. But saying they are the objectively best, especially without backing it up, and posting a popular opinion like that in a thread about unpopular opinions is not a good thing, and I'm not sorry for saying that your post is one of the worst ones I have ever read.

That's all I had for now. I might have some more unpopular opinions that I can't think of right now, and some that I'm not sure whether they are unpopular or not.
okay.

It's not cool to quote what I said and just say it's terrible though, like actually state your reasons. at this point I don't really care though because from what you posted before quoting me, I'm not interested at all in your opinion.

don't wanna pick fights though but I just felt obliged to respond to this cuz you're attacking me so viciously lol

okay.

It's not cool to quote what I said and just say it's terrible though, like actually state your reasons. at this point I don't really care though because from what you posted before quoting me, I'm not interested at all in your opinion.

don't wanna pick fights though but I just felt obliged to respond to this cuz you're attacking me so viciously lol
I apologize for being a bit hostile. I thought your post was bad because as I said, you posted a popular opinion in a thread about unpopular opinions, without backing it up, and you said something was "objective" regarding a subject where only subjective personal opinions can exist. At least I do personally not believe that games in the main Pokemon series can be "objectively" good or bad, it is to me only about subjective opinions in the end.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I really hate Dragon-types. For me, all are either not creative enough or Digimonized, all ugly pieces of poop. It's really rare for me to use a Dragon-type in a game, and when I do I either use them as HM slaves (Flygon in Emerald) or because of a request (girlfriend wanted me to use Haxorus). This is a bias I carry even in competitive gaming for some reason, as I rarely use Dragon-types unless my team needs one, and never make a Dragon as the reason I'm using a certain team. I have a dislike for Flyturd and Garcrap, I just can't stand them. My top three favorite types in order are Flying, Poison and Ice.

I also think GSC ruined Pokémon. Don't get me wrong, I f*cking love those games (especially the perfect remakes), but they gave so much to the franchise, and all subsequent games are always compared to them. They kinda "spoiled" us, and so on every game we expect a ton of things we won't get and end up mad after playing. I never cared for post-game anyway, they are not a main requirement for me to enjoy a game. Still great games, though. My favorite ones without doubt.

Kanto is disgusting. Kanto's OST in all gens is terrible (even Lavender). The only ones I can play with sound not off is Route 1 and Cinnabar. Saffron's music and the battle against trainer are the ones I cringe whenever I hear (especially the FRLG versions) I dislike the shape of Kanto, and all of its cities in all games. I think FRLG were the most mediocre games. Worse than the original.

I like the cities OST from DPPt, with my favorite Pokémon city music being from Canalave. The rest of the ost is mediocre, though.

TCG for GBC is my favorite spinoff bar PMD Red/Blue, which imo are much better and more emotional than TDS and the other one, and the story is superior. Pokémon Puzzle for GBC is underrated asf.

Wally's theme in ORAS is awful imo and makes him look like a sissy. I also disliked the choice of changing the Team Magma/Aqua

I liked Tracey, the Diamond and Pearl season, Johto season fillers (especially the Gligarman episode), Pokemon 4Ever, and think the Genesect movie can rival Spell of Unown, the Manaphy movie I forgot the name and Power of One as the best Pokemon movies ever.

I find Shauntal to be the hottest NPC ever.

Pelipper is my favorite Pokemon. I don't like Charizard (all Fire-type starters for that matter), Mienshao, Scrafty, Milotic, Scizor, Gyarados and the Pikaclones including Pikachu. I find Idol Pikachu disturbing; and HATE Cresselia, Uxie, Darkrai, Bronzong, Drifblim, and Dragon-types. The best legendary is Regirock.

I honestly despise PMD and never saw the appeal in it beyond the story and concept. Gameplay wise it is horrendous, tedious and boring with no variation in location. Every single level is the exact same aside from slight aesthetic differences with no room for exploration, and the entire game is nothing but mashing A and hoping you find a staircase.
On the other hand, Ranger is extremely underrated. It brings a new, unique and fun gameplay method that fits the Pokémon universe rather than just being randomly shoved in, is full of vibrant imagination in it's locations and landscapes and is very easy to get into. By far the best Pokémon spinoff imo.

7 YEARS LATER EDIT: this post was actually a bit hard to look at when going back through the thread so uh. Yeah, I'm still not a fan of PMD and like Ranger a lot more; but wow, despise? Get over yourself girl. It's just not my thing, it's fine

Last edited:
I love the Gen 1 mechanics; there's something endearing about Focus Energy lowering critical hit rate, Persian's Slash always critting, Hyper Beam having no recharge if it killed, and reading "The attack continues!" and preventing attacks/switching as I Clamp something to death. I'm sure there are many others I missed, though.
Just having the Special stat was really nice too. Slowbro, Exeggutor, Cloyster and Articuno were stonger thanks to their higher Special Defense stats for the former ones and higher Special Attack for the latter. And Amnesia was sweet too with just the Special stat.
I'll add more as I remember them; I really like this thread idea!

Gen 4 has my favourite selection of Pokémon from every gen.
Ironically one Pokémon from it I didn't like but everyone else did was Gallade. I honestly felt it was just really pointless and tacked on and just to give a 'male' option to the 'female' Gardevoir which was dumb. I do like it now it has a Mega tho; that seems to give it a point as some alternate guardian angel, the same feel Gardevoir gave off. Otherwise I just didn't like it.

Johto is the worst region.The starters suck(especially chikorita).Its level curve is retarded,with the extra stupid level jump before Red.The region is badly designed.There are 3 types of pokemon; the ones the are found in Kanto(Houndur,Larvitar), the ones from Kanto(Scyther,Seadra,Gastly) and the useless crap(Sentrent,Hoothoot).Team Rocket is lame.Kanto becomes a shadow of its former self.The aneurysm induncing safari zone.And the fanboys are the worst of the series.

Mega Evolutions are the worst idea that came from Gamefreak.Everything about them is stupid.

Any remake that isn't FRLG is crap.HGSS is just the same "Get 2 half regions for the price of one" gimmick in a new package.ORAS has the same flaws of RSE,but now with a extra stupid Rayquaza story.

Fairy types were a bad idea.

Gamefreak should let another studio do the next pokemon games.

1) Infernape is aesthetically the best starter.

2) Doubles is the best battling format.

3) The concept of Mega-Evolution and its mechanics is the best thing to happen to Pokémon battles since doubles. That said, new evolutions of older monster should still happen.

4) Adding < 100 new monsters in Gen. 6 was a brilliant move, and I hope it continues.

5) I'm happy with the new generation->remake->new generation release format, though with the speed they release them, it can't continue (I think). Point is, I like remakes and would love for Kanto/Johto to get the ORAS treatment.

6) Fairy Type is awesome. Never was I happier than to see all the "light type" advocates crushed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 4)