United Kingdom Qualifier - Birmingham, May 29th, 2010 - WON BY REES/MRS. BLACKBIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to go, if my Dad lets me. Its near my Grandparents so should be ok. What are the VGCs like. Is it like tense or exiciting? Also am I possibly the only one who will be playing in the Junior section?

I don't think there will be many people in the Juniors. Last year, there were only 13.
But the VGC as a whole is pretty exciting :P

Hi, This is gonna be my first VGC... i need to sort of know what to expect? Like the class of battler, cause i have a team to take to the Champs, but i'm not sure like what items and stuff to use... also, ill be in the seniors, how early do you think i'll need to be there?

Camm

Well, last year only 132 Seniors showed up to the tournament. With a cap of 256 players, I'd expect everyone to get in if it's anything like last year. So, as long as you can try to get there maybe half an hour before sign ups start I'd expect you to be fine.. Though it could be different this time.
I was going to go last year but I saw people were using pokemon bred with near flawless IVs and the best in my team were an Adamant Garchomp x/31/x/x/x/31, Adamant Gyarados x/31/x/x/x/30 and a Timid Porygon x/x/x/31/x/30 so I knew it was a waste of time.

I just realised the registration starts at 1PM so I won't have to get up as early as I thought.
Ill need A LOT of VGC practice though and A LOT of team building help, but I think I could probably get there - depending on what my parents say :/
Put me down for a maybe going if you want

Seriously. Are you sure about this. I have to win 3 times to go to Hawaii? I'm going early anyway just to be safe :)
I have a good feeling from playing your team that you have a chance on winning, that is a serious statement. If they'd advertise this damn competition at like the arceus event then loads of kids would've prepared for it but alas they don't? =\

Thanks Havak for that information, a bit of a shame really because although it doesn't favour anybody. It does make it possible for anybody with a relatively decent team to actually win.

Be nice to see Keel for once. Part of me feels Keel is going to be hiding from me all through the event. xD 6 Years I've waited to meet you! 6 Years! ;|

I'm really impressed with my new team. :O

The idea for my lead came from of all people my friend who's a complete pokemon noob. He suggested it to me over lunch a while ago and it's actually... amazing. Now I just need to get it all ready ingame and I can get down to doing some study for the exams.

Will be tons of fun going, I can guarantee. Oh and by the way I'll be wearing a Supreme Victors shiny Milotic card on a lanyard (lol). Just a crazy idea I had.

I'm originally from Coventry so I am glad this is in Birmingham. It will give me a chance to visit home and hopefully drag some supporters out this time, as none wanted to travel to London :(

London was great, made top 8 last year but don't think I will come close to that this year. As a venue NEC is the business and will definately be more epic than circus space, team wise I have 3, but can't decide on what to choose as of yet - need a little more practise.
For anyone new to the VGC, the atmosphere last year wasnt that bad but I felt could have been better. Hopefully with the NEC there will be more tension due to more people attending and alot of quality players entering.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having a good time, maybe check out Broad Street afterwards for a few.

Any Scottish players? I'll be travelling down from the North-East of Scotland on the Friday before, staying the night, attending the tournament and leaving on the Sunday. I don't really expect to get too far, it does really depend on luck, especially who you get placed against. Either way, it looks like a great day out.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why does Birmingham have to be so boring ;_;

I've been trying to look for PoIs and stuff but theres pretty much nothing :/

Just thought I'd say if anyone plays Yu-Gi-Oh, make sure to bring a trading binder or something. I'll be bringing my trades album: it's got a 1st Super Nimble, Faultroll, Ulti Armour Master and a lot of other random stuff (I think around 80 holos in there) and I'm looking for a Brionac and a ghost Majestic Red Dragon in particular. Would be cool to trade cards with some Smogonites. And I'll be bringing my awesome Blue Eyes show deck though I doubt there'll be time to duel.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Likewise, any TCG players from Smogon - bring rares and decks.

I don't collect much, Zog, but I have one or two holo-graphic promo cards (YGO) I'd be willing to sell for a low price.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will honestly tell you if you are 18+ and like to party, Birmingham is not boring lol.

British people play better drunk, it's a fact.
Ha, Brits do practically everything better drunk!

I'm 99% certain that I'll be there, I'm only an hour and a half away and think I've got a lift sorted. I met up with a few members of the old Nintendo forums a couple of years back when the UK Deoxys event happened in Bristol, are any of those guys still around?...Apart from Havak, who's like the Obi-Wan of pokemon internet forums :D

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Funnily enough, I missed that Deoxys Event xD I've made it to practically every other UK Event though, except the one for the EON Ticket on Ruby/Sapphire, but I got that traded to me at the UK Battle Master Tournament through mixing records, in 2004.

I've not fully decided whether it's worth getting a hotel yet, because Kinneas can't now. The advantage is I get to look around Birmingham on Friday, and I don't have to get up early to get a train there. I've found a cheap one, though, that's really close by.

If anyone collects Pokémon Trading Cards, I have a lot I want to get rid of, probably at a cheap price.

I met Vix Jam Chan there, which was cool - a few others that I can't remember the usernames of >.<

With the shiny eevee that you can get at the event, I notice it says on the official site that you can't have more than 2 wonder cards on your inventory. I've downloaded both the recent pokewalker routes, do they go on the same wonder card?

I met Vix Jam Chan there, which was cool - a few others that I can't remember the usernames of >.<

With the shiny eevee that you can get at the event, I notice it says on the official site that you can't have more than 2 wonder cards on your inventory. I've downloaded both the recent pokewalker routes, do they go on the same wonder card?
yeah it would, I think its 3 max so you could keep the 2.

It's looking like I won't have a very good team. At best I might be able to EV train some stuff, but not RNG or SR for IVs. Just can't be bothered to spend the time and effort.
I'll probably come along anyway, seeing as how it'll cost me like less than a fiver. But it won't be a serious entry.

It's looking like I won't have a very good team. At best I might be able to EV train some stuff, but not RNG or SR for IVs. Just can't be bothered to spend the time and effort.
I'll probably come along anyway, seeing as how it'll cost me like less than a fiver. But it won't be a serious entry.
Yeah just come for the crack, its the best way.

I've been more of a collector over the ten years I've been playing than a battler. Which is the reason why I came here, to finally learn the mechanics of putting together and training a decent team, with solid moves and good battle strategy...I am a proper newb in that respect!

So yeah, I'm hoping to go for a good day out, a shiny eevee, maybe pick up some tips and sample some Brummy lager :p

22 expected to go! Wow, nice job.

Hope to see a load of you folks there. Massive crowd of us going and going to be hanging, any of you are free to hang. Just say your a smogoner and your name and will do all the introducing. Zystral came up to us last year and only realised 30 mins into walking and getting and eating at McDonalds that Havak was with us. xD

My and my Brother are attending. Noticed I wasn't mentioned don the attendees list. My brother will be in Juniors, me in Seniors. Both of us use this account, I think he posted on this thread before, so it gets a bit confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)