United Kingdom Qualifier - Birmingham, May 29th, 2010 - WON BY REES/MRS. BLACKBIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

UK Video Game Championships Qualifier, Birmingham

The Pokémon Video Game Championships are again happening in the United Kingdom. Last year, our event was held in England's capital, London. This year, however, we'll have to head to England's second largest city, Birmingham, which is a lot further North. Anything you wish to discuss about the UK event can be posted here, and they'll be a list of attendees at the bottom of the thread. Don't forget to bring a European version of Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver if you wish to compete. Do not ask about the Hack Checks - it's much easier if you just avoid any form of cheating, then you know you're safe (anyone who asks about hack checks will receive an infraction).

Competitor slots are limited to 128 for the Junior Division (born in 1998 or later) and 256 for the Senior Division (born in 1997 or earlier). Players may only sign up for the event during their age division's registration times. Competitor slots will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Preregistration is not available for these events. Finishing in the top four will grant you an invitation to play in the World Championships in Kona, Hawaii, on August 14 and 15, 2010. However, only the two finalists will receive fully paid travel and accommodation. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th will receive a Nintendo DSi console, while 1st will also receive a Nintendo Wii console, much like the prizes at the US Nationals Event.

National Exhibition Centre
Birmingham

B40 1NT
Tel: +44 (0)844 3388000
Junior Registration: 9:30 A.M. to 10:00 A.M.
Senior Registration: 1:00 P.M. to 1:30 P.M.​
Attendees

Havak - [United Kingdom] (Top 32, UK VGC 2009)
Akiratron - [United Kingdom] (Top 8, UK VGC 2009)
Parallel - [United Kingdom]
Zog - [United Kingdom] (Top 16, UK VGC 2009)
Kinneas - [United Kingdom] (Top 64, UK VGC 2009)
B-Lulz - [United Kingdom]
Wichu - [United Kingdom] (Top 64, UK VGC 2009)
Osirus182 - [United Kingdom]
Cinaclov - [United Kingdom] (Entrant, UK VGC 2009)
Pokérob - [United Kingdom] (Entrant, UK VGC 2009)
ZystraL - [United Kingdom] (Top 32, UK VGC 2009)
Dan Dan - [United Kingdom] (Overslept, UK VGC 2009)
Picollo - [Germany] (Top 4, Germany VGC 2009 ; Top 64, France VGC 2009)
Last Requiem - [Portugal] (Top 8, UK VGC 2009)
Akayfortyseven - [United Kingdom]
Giant Enemy Crab - [United Kingdom] (Disqualified, UK VGC 2009)
dragon9owns - [United Kingdom] (Top 64, UK VGC 2009)
Keelhauled - [United Kingdom]
Camm - [United Kingdom]
7014gree - [United Kingdom]
SP-Eevee - [United Kingdom]
Ludo - [United Kingdom]
Alex888 - [United Kingdom]
jigglypaul - [United Kingdom]
IAmMarti - [United Kingdom]
SP-Eevee - [United Kingdom]
callforjudgement - [United Kingdom]
Habitus - [United Kingdom]
Insane85 - [United Kingdom]

Points of Interest

Cadbury's World Tour - Cadbury's Chocolate is one of the best and most famous in the world, so if you have the time, and have a like for chocolate, this is something you will be interested in. You'll have to book your tickets in advance though, as entry on the day is not guaranteed due to limitations on the number of people they can allow in per day. You can learn more about the visit and how to book tickets here. It houses the worlds largest Cadbury shop, and you can view demonstrations of how the chocolate is made. There's also other fun activities like some kind of go-kart ride I believe, which allows you to drive around some chocolate wonderland (though I'd imagine this is more for the younger crowd). You can learn about advertising and packaging, plant your own cocoa beans, and sample plenty of chocolate!

Birmingham Cathedral - If you have an interest in religeon or architecture, then this will be a strong point of interest. Birmingham Cathedral has been a place of Christian worship since 1715 – designed by the English Baroque architect, Thomas Archer. It's situated in the heart of the city and is open every day of the year. Click here for information on how to get there.

Thinktank Science Museum - For everyone interested in Science, or for those just wanting and willing to learn more, this should be the place to visit. There's a planetarium, IMAX Cinema, and loads of other stuff to enjoy. You can only visit the museum from 10am - 5pm, so it'd probably be best to try on a different day to the tournament, as they suggest taking 2-4 hours for a real good look around. If you'd like to give it a try, here is a link to a map, and some ways to get there.

Bullring Shopping Centre - This is likely just your run of the mill 'mall'. Lots of shops, plenty of places to go, get food etc. But if you want to get some shopping done as well, it could be fun. I did find a list of other attractions on their website though, so if you want take a look at a few more than you go here.

Ooh, Birmingham? That's a lot easier to get to than London. I might be able to enter... Okay, I've got about a month to make a team!

I'm looking forward to having a chance at winning a DSi, lol. I still don't have one.

Also I was top 16 last year.

UltimateUnknown and Shoeman are also attending, first and second last year respectively. And yeah Shoeman = Shoe it's his account name. I um... got it wrong. :P
Everyone calls him Shoe anyway so yeah.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If I win 2/3/4th, I already have a DSi. Can I exchange it for £150 worth of TCG instead?

Also I was an entrant in VGC last year. Got knocked out in the third round.

Any advice on places for sightseeing? Preferebly ones near the airport that are cheap or free... If there are any, maybe adding them to the first post like in the Cologne thread would be great so that everyone knows them without having to look through the whole thread (which usually originates more posts asking about the same thing since no one likes to read the whole thing :P ).

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like Dan Dan's information there. (: I am not using Will-O-Wisp this year for obvious reasons.
xD I think I'm going to avoid using any attack that can miss, just for fear of it letting me down again.

I'll have a look to see if there are any points of interest near-by in Birmingham, but I don't know Birmingham very well... Well, not at all, if I'm honest.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
In terms of Points Of Interest, unless you have a KEEN interest in fine art or ancient Catholic Religion, there isn't much to see.

Havak

Okay, it seems like Birmingham is pretty shit. How is there nothing worth seeing in such a large city? Oh well. It looks like we're just going there to play Pokémons and maybe get something to eat :)

If you were wondering about local rail lines, airports, or other means of travel, click on the "How to get there" link in the OP. It lists all the best ways to get to the venue via plane, train, car, bus, or coach.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
It's not shit, it's just that there's only:
1. Art museums we're not old enough to appreciate.
2. Churches I can't set foot in without bursting into holy flames.
3. Shopping centres we won't have enough time to get lost in.

Besides, playing the Pokémon will take up most of our time, what with filling out the forms to go Hawaii and doing victory dances and whatnot.

Bah, that's right smack-dab in the middle of my AS-levels... Eh, I wouldn't go to Birmingham if my life depended on it anyway. Good luck to all who attend! ... And not just in the actual tourney.

jeremy claskson discribes Birmingham as a place where you go, get mugged, walk around, go back to your car, its gone and are sent home in an ambulance, starving.

Well my observatioons for Birmingham says its a big city with some nice clubs and well since i might stay for a weekend there i have enough time to discover the city. haha.

well iam for 60% in . =P

Picollo Top 4 Berlin 2009 and Top 64 Paris 2009 =/

So far I am doing pretty well with VGC practice. Played the Live Tournament last night and got to the semis. It was double elimination but I only had one life because it was 3 EDT not EST which they put as the welcoming topic on the IRC. Plus playing a SkarmBliss weekly tourney and getting to the final.

I will be entering and yes I will have my shirt on. I have a new one this year and a couple of others will be wearing the same shirt (with obviously their usernames on).

Wishing everyone the best of luck. Hopefully this year the 15 or so people around me wouldn't pussy out of playing me first round and then me getting Sadman again eh?

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live literally about 10 minutes away from the venue so if you wanna meet up beforehand or whatever I can probably do that.

Any advice on places for sightseeing? Preferebly ones near the airport that are cheap or free...
Nothing is near the airport. You'd likely have to take a train from Birmingham International (airport) to Birmingham New Street, it's a pretty quick journey.

Okay, it seems like Birmingham is pretty shit. How is there nothing worth seeing in such a large city?
Nothing worth seeing? Lemme think...

Bullring shopping centre, City centre. Home to one of only four Selfridges stores in the country. And all the other shops and the markets.
Thinktank science museum, city centre. Not as good as the old one, but worth a look.
Cathedral, city centre.
Museum and art gallery, city centre.
Broad Street - the location of 90% of the city centre's restaurants, bars, and nightclubs.
Symphony Hall, Broad Street. Has a few things on the 29th.
The NIA, Broad Street. Friday 28th is a couple of jazz artists.
Rep, Old Rep, Hippodrome, Alexandra, and Arcadian theatres.
Cadbury World, Bourneville.
Lady Gaga playing the LG arena on the 28th, which I believe is right by the NEC.
Sutton Park, north Birmingham. (It's massive)
Botanical Gardens.

Havak

What I meant was, nothing close enough that most people will have time to really visit, even though the majority of it isn't that great. There's a Selfridges in Manchester and I must say there isn't a big reason to go in, unless you like your Lucky Charms cereal (which cost about £8 a box I might add!).

I'm sure there will be next to no tickets left for any of the concerts or events going on by the time us VGC players turn up.

Most of it is just a little bit too 'out-of-the-way', and IMO, not worth the trip. However, that's coming from someone who lives in Manchester and sees the majority of that stuff, or similar to it, all the time.

I'll add some of it to the OP, though, cheers.

I think the majority of my time would be spent at a bar or pub with the gang who I'm most looking to meet up with on the day to get some drinks before and after. Hopefully we'll be able to have a celebratory drink come the evening ;)

LOL I'd probably only go for the after because unlike you Havak I don't want to end up making the same mistake I made last year and choosing the wrong pokemon for my selected move! ;)

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's true, I have a 100% win record when I'm drunk. If I had played the st6 semis drunk I would be the champ by now.

The NEC is what's out of the way really. Right on the edge of town, far from anywhere. With the seniors being in the afternoon, visiting stuff won't be easy, except for those planning on staying overnight.

I will admit, I'm not sure whether many people here will be that interested in most of what I listed. If you live in any decent-sized city chances are you have much the same.

One other addition - the NEC isn't much further from Coventry than from Birmingham. Not that I know much of interest in Coventry, besides the cathedrals and the Transport Museum.

Also, a warning to drivers: The NEC's car park is infamous for its size. Don't lose your car!

I haven't decided whether I'll go to VGC. Not sure I can be bothered to make a decent team, haven't even finished the SoulSilver plot yet, and don't own two DSes to get my Pokes off Platinum (though I guess I could use the GTS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)