The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Fighting against a Gulpin in X with a Pickup Zigzagoon. I had forgotten to check, and since this is a Nuzlocke, just getting that poison healed was the first thing on my mind. I use my Full Heal on it. After the battle, I take off my Zigzagoon's item - and it was an Antidote.

Reactions: JES
You can re-challenge early route trainers for easy money. Rich Boy Winston and Lady Cindy on Route 104 gives you quite a bit of cash beating them, especially if the Pokemon you battled against them is holding an Amulet Coin/Luck Incense. I find they "recharge" fairly quickly, after beating them just battle other trainers on nearby routes until they're ready again.

Also you can sell items (including all those extra Pokeballs you don't need) if you really need money.

And finally you really don't need money to beat the Elite Four. Don't know how you've been training your Pokemon but just grind against wild Pokemon and re-challene trainers until they leveled up enough. May take a while but that's what you get when you don't plan carefully.
There's also a gentleman on the route just before Lilycove (Walter? I can't remember right now) who gives you like 10K for defeating him. Prize Money power also helps.

I thought that Maxie and Roark were women... Maxie was mostly because it's a girl name to me, and he does look like a woman to me. Roark was mostly because the battle sprite in DP made it hard to tell. I thought he was a red-headed lady with a weird name and glasses.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I thought that Maxie and Roark were women... Maxie was mostly because it's a girl name to me, and he does look like a woman to me. Roark was mostly because the battle sprite in DP made it hard to tell. I thought he was a red-headed lady with a weird name and glasses.

Gender ambiguity is a common thing in Pokemon is seems. I've mostly heard it happening for Bugsy and Anabel.

One's a boy and one's a girl...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wait, I can tell Bugsy is a guy because he doesn't have eyelashes.... but you can't tell with Anabel? Or is the opposite?
I was always able to tell the difference though as Detective Barricade pointed out the English translators are to thank for that. In Japan they had Anabel use a masculine personal pronoun (boku), even in the anime they have Ash & co. mistake Anabel for a boy. English doesn't have gender specific personal pronouns so there wasn't really any confusion.

As for Bugsy, Youtuber Chuggaaconroy during his Gen II playthrough said that he mistook Bugsy for a girl the first time he played. Now he may have been the only one, but hearing someone got confused about Bugsy's gender made me think it maybe wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.

And Tucker (as well as Wallace) aren't man or woman, they're just Tucker and Wallace. Let's just leave it at that.

I never thought Bugsy was female, though to be fair, I first encountered him in the anime since I didn't play the games until years later.

I'm gonna tell you a little story,

I was 6 years old and just got Pokemon Crystal for my Birthday, I had no idea how to play the game (I actually thought the flowers were coins.) Anyway 3 months had passed and I had no idea how to get my starter (LMAO I was 6). One day my 2 year old sister picks up the game walks into the lab and gets a chikorita with a brown leaf on its head. I was pissed of at the fact she figured it out. I did not like chikorita so I turned off my game and restarted and got a regular Totodile.

/facepalm

What is your most facepalm worthy momemt?
Ah man that's harsh. I would be devasted if that happened to me.

So i had a shiny Rhydon in Platinum. I decided i wanted a shiny Rypherior, so i asked my friend if he would help evolve it. So he just gave me a Bibarel he randomly had and I traded the Rhydon holding a protector. It evolved on his game.

He never gave it back.
If that were my friend, they wouldn't be my friend anymore!

Today I did something really facepalm worthy. I had only one Pokemon left, while my opponent had five. I was setting up with my Moxie Gyarados and I had 4 Dragon Dances under my belt. I started wiping out my opponent's team and it came down to a 1v1. As soon as I saw it was a Raichu I pressed Earthquake, not realizing it was holding an Air Balloon...

:(

I keep cheating on my Nuzlocke... next one, I have to be more strict.

I'M NOT LOSING YOU TODAY RALTS! -Forgot Ralts is also Fairy type, sent in against Poison.

I keep cheating on my Nuzlocke... next one, I have to be more strict.

I'M NOT LOSING YOU TODAY RALTS! -Forgot Ralts is also Fairy type, sent in against Poison.
No, Psychic does not resist Poison. Not to mention how freaking frail Ralts is.

Along those lines, trying to sweep Grant with the Aerodactyl I'd just gotten. He's Rock/Flying, he'll be okay, right? Welp, turns out Rock does not resist itself.

(Somehow, he only went down once, and he actually put in some good work against Grant despite only being a few levels higher. Turns out even piss-weak Rock Smash can do a number in the right hands.)

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that time I used Hackmons in the Battle Subway Super Multi train about 3 years ago (with cpu trainer Hilda). I used Wonder Guard Spiritomb, a Slaking with Contrary or Wonder Guard, and a Regigigas I think with Wonder Guard. I lost battle 29...

TO A BLISSEY THAT SPAMMED SOFTBOILED!!! The other Pokemon I think had fighting type moves to wreck Slaking and Regigigas. Or Mold Breaker. Blissey tanked them too >.<

Here was the strategy of this Blissey...
Softboiled spam, Softboiled spam, continue spamming for a few more turns, uses Toxic in the middle of nowhere, Softboiled spam, uses other moves, Softboiled spam, cont.
To be fair, sadly I ran all special attack moves on Wonder Guard Spiritomb, not knowing what special attack did and was always trying to raise the Attack...

I was surprised that it didn't run out of Softboileds !_!

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that time I used Hackmons in the Battle Subway Super Multi train 3 years ago (with cpu trainer Hilda). I used Wonder Guard Spiritomb, a Slaking with Contrary or Wonder Guard, and a Regigigas I think with Wonder Guard. I lost battle 29...

TO A BLISSEY!!! THAT SPAMMED SOFTBOILED...the other Pokemon I think had fighting type moves to wreck Slaking and Regigigas. Or Mold Breaker. Blissey tanked them too >.<

Here was the strategy of this Blissey...
Softboiled spam, Softboiled spam, continue spamming for a few more turns, uses Toxic in the middle of nowhere, Softboiled spam, Softboiled spam, cont.
To be fair, sadly I ran all special attack moves on Wonder Guard Spiritomb, not knowing what special attack did and was always trying to raise the Attack...
Huge Power and Pure Power would love to have a word with you.

Trying to catch Palkia, I turned off my Exp. Share so that I could keep my Uxie pristine (I don't have a Reset Bag). After catching it, I went to go EV train my Darmanitan.

Guess who forgot to turn on the Exp. Share...

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Along those lines, trying to sweep Grant with the Aerodactyl I'd just gotten. He's Rock/Flying, he'll be okay, right? Welp, turns out Rock does not resist itself.
I've got one from the same gym. In a Nuzloke I was facing a random trainers Solrock which was Leech Seeded and had low enough health that it would faint next turn. I needed to switch to save my Skiddo so I thought about who could use the Exp.

"Butterfree could use the Exp and Solrock's been spamming Psywave so I don't think that it has a Rock Type Move" The opposing Solrock used Rock Throw. "Oh... I probably deserved that..."

Reactions: JES

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)