The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

When I was a little kid playing Pokemon for the first time, I got the Master Ball. I thought it was like any other pokeball, and that I could buy any amount I wanted later on for a high price... so I used it on the first pokemon I found that I didn't have... which was a Raticate.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Accidentally trading a Shiny Delibird for a Parasect because you thought it was shiny. (Seriously, they changed Parasect's color so much that I thought it WAS the shiny coloration)
While I never tried trading for a Shiny Pokemon, there was a few times I had to check Google to check to see if the Wild Pokemon I was facing was Shiny. The switch to 3D they sort of saturated some Pokemon's colors making them look different from their sprite's bolder colors I too sometimes can't tell. Kind of makes me wish during battle they had it give off sparkles periodically to tell you if its a shiny or not just incase you weren't paying attention when the battle started.

While I never tried trading for a Shiny Pokemon, there was a few times I had to check Google to check to see if the Wild Pokemon I was facing was Shiny. The switch to 3D they sort of saturated some Pokemon's colors making them look different from their sprite's bolder colors I too sometimes can't tell. Kind of makes me wish during battle they had it give off sparkles periodically to tell you if its a shiny or not just incase you weren't paying attention when the battle started.
Or maybe a star by the name, similar to both the star in the status screen and the Mega/Primal symbol in battle.

Before SRing Latios, I trained my Natu to lv86 before getting tired and level it up to 96 per Rare Candy.
After erasing the EVs and adding the relevant ones to outspeed one with 29 ivs or less, I forgot to level it up as well as putting Macho Band to half its speed again to get the 31 ivs on Spe and HP.

After 3 resettings a shiny Latios appeared, I killed it because I thought it didn't have 31 ivs on its speed stat...How painful would it be if it had perfect ivs and I didn't notice? Guess rather not know than knowing it was in fact "perfect".

I still DO teach HMs to my main team...mostly because for the most part they REALLY don't need that many moveslots to get all the necessary in-game moves you need. For example, the Shiny Beldum event, as a Metang in my Alpha Sapphire, learned Rock Smash. Completely useless move against non-steels, but since I used that move so often to go where I need to, I always feel the need to keep a Pokemon that knew it on my team. This isn't competitive battling where it needs the best moves. In fact, building a team without an HM slave is more fun in my opinion because you need to find out which HMs you can shuffle around on your team so your team isn't completely useless. The closest thing to an HM Slave on my team was my Gyarados - having all 3 water HMs and Crunch. But even then, Waterfall and Crunch were all it really needed to do anything I wanted it to do.

I agree, I usually have the HMs ballanced. And I really think that Dive is a good move, and my Greninja kept Rock Smash for quite a long time and I found it mostly useful. I'll only regret teaching Rock Smash to my Torterra in Pearl though, because I wasn't near a move deleter, and I got rid of Crunch which could of really helped me with defeating Fantina.

SAME.
Except with a different Pokemon.

You see, I thought those weird markings on Cradily's head were its eyes and its actual eyes (the yellow circle in the black space) were its teeth. I didn't realize that I was wrong until I saw one in the anime.

I will say that Cradily looks a lot derpier if you look at it the way I was.
I'm the same! Only now do I know the truth.

Building a team without an HM slave is more fun in my opinion because you need to find out which HMs you can shuffle around on your team so your team isn't completely useless.
I thought I was the only person who did that. And this is why the regional rodents are awesome: Bibarel can clean up with Rock Climb/Waterfall, while in my Emerald runs I've kept a Linoone with Surf (freeing up a slot on my Swampert, who carries the other two Water HMs, for Ice Beam). My current one is actually Modest; it sucked early-game for Cutting, but I have had some fun with him. Especially in Doubles. (The good old days, back when Surf didn't hit your partner...)

I thought I was the only person who did that. And this is why the regional rodents are awesome: Bibarel can clean up with Rock Climb/Waterfall, while in my Emerald runs I've kept a Linoone with Surf (freeing up a slot on my Swampert, who carries the other two Water HMs, for Ice Beam). My current one is actually Modest; it sucked early-game for Cutting, but I have had some fun with him. Especially in Doubles. (The good old days, back when Surf didn't hit your partner...)
Just a side distraction, I remember the old mechanics of you sending out a Pokemon after you knocked one out in a double battle as well. I remember having two Pokemon that knew Surf in Pokemon Colosseum. One of them uses Surf and OHKOs two of the opponents. Then he sends out two more only to be hit and knocked out by the second surf of that turn.

I've been breeding Ralts eggs trying to get a shiny, flawless Jolly male. One day I got it, and I stared at it for like ten seconds, thinking "those colors look weird" and then I deleted it.

Just a side distraction, I remember the old mechanics of you sending out a Pokemon after you knocked one out in a double battle as well. I remember having two Pokemon that knew Surf in Pokemon Colosseum. One of them uses Surf and OHKOs two of the opponents. Then he sends out two more only to be hit and knocked out by the second surf of that turn.
Plus, Surf didn't hit your Pokémon back then (thanks Gen IV).

When I was little, I only ever trained my started and the legendary (in RSE, anyway), so I ended up at the Elite Four with a Swampert and Kyogre leveled, but nothing else. I knew I needed something else to take on the E4 with, so I caught Victory Road mons to round my team out. I actually ended up winning, but not before I created this atrocity:
Hyper Beam/Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast Aggron - I might actually still have this thing somewhere. But yeah, that was...not one of my brightest decisions :P
In addition, restarting with my 80+ Kyogre (or I traded it to my cousin and he did, but same result really).
My pride and joy, the level 100 Rayquaza I painstakingly trained at Sky Tower in Sapphire, somehow got lost along the years to where I am now. Makes me sad, because that thing really was one of my favorites.
Uhhh, what else...
Challenging the Battle Dome/etc with lvl 50 Zapdos/Articuno/Zapdos imported straight from XD, although they actually performed decently well, even without EVs.
Not really a "big" derp, but I used Duking's Plusle in Colosseum, and it actually did really well with the XP boost, being up to 80s towards the end of that game. Lost that one too ):
Lost a level 90-ish Altaria I trained (I was really prone to losing mons :P)
I used to mark mons based on if I would use them or not (one marking for maybe, 2 for little more, 3 for even more, 4 for most, etc), even though I never would use them. It was mostly level based too (so I would see lots of Sky Tower mons with that sorta thing). Cue me now doing breeding and using the markings for IVs, and then it was just sorta funny when I realized why markings would actually be useful.
I re-nicknamed my Swampert "Swamps" because I thought that would make it perform better in contests.
It took me foreeeever to get into/past Sootopolis, mainly because I could never figure out how and kept restarting (using Pokemon Box to store all my mons), so that was interesting.
Was stuck in the Pokemon League on LeafGreen, and I really liked the game, but accidentally left it at a friend's house and never got it back...
Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. But, yeah, small me didn't do too well on Gen III (bar Colosseum and XD), but after a couple of hiccups in Gen IV (never *actually* beating Diamond legit, due to Pokemon Ranch making you keep the same save to access mons and hacking in a full dex so I could port my old mons over at the 5th gym and destroying everything with my l50 Groudon and then never getting around to beating it again after I restarted), I got over it :P

Spent almost every cent I had on Poké Balls in OR. Now I have no money, and I can't go through the E4 because my team's too underlevelled.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Spent almost every cent I had on Poké Balls in OR. Now I have no money, and I can't go through the E4 because my team's too underlevelled.
You can re-challenge early route trainers for easy money. Rich Boy Winston and Lady Cindy on Route 104 gives you quite a bit of cash beating them, especially if the Pokemon you battled against them is holding an Amulet Coin/Luck Incense. I find they "recharge" fairly quickly, after beating them just battle other trainers on nearby routes until they're ready again.

Also you can sell items (including all those extra Pokeballs you don't need) if you really need money.

And finally you really don't need money to beat the Elite Four. Don't know how you've been training your Pokemon but just grind against wild Pokemon and re-challene trainers until they leveled up enough. May take a while but that's what you get when you don't plan carefully.

During my Alpha Sapphire play through my character was supposed to talk to the captain guy in the museum or whatever. Thing is, I missed him everytime. This ended up with me wandering the museum for ~30 or so minutes before having to check youtube to find out where he was

Last edited:
OHKO-ing Entei from full in Silver Version with Meganium's Razor Leaf. Tbf, I was a bit overlevelled but I thought it can survive the hit because "It is a Legendary Fire-type Pokemon". Thankfully, I didn't save (because I knew Legendaries were super rare - like 1 per save file) but this cost me tons of progress since Roamers appear out of nowhere.

Reactions: JES
During my Alpha Sapphire play through my character was supposed to talk to the captain guy in the museum or whatever. Thing is, I missed him everytime. Then ended up with me wandering the museum for ~30 or so minutes
My brother did the same thing in Alpha Sapphire. He just wandered around Slateport for an hour, actually won a contest while he was there, and got Cosplay Pikachu before I told him where the captain was.
OHKO-ing Entei from full in Silver Version with Meganium's Razor Leaf. Tbf, I was a bit overlevelled but I thought it can survive the hit because "It is a Legendary Fire-type Pokemon". Thankfully, I didn't save (because I knew Legendaries were super rare - like 1 per save file) but this cost me tons of progress since Roamers appear out of nowhere.
I OHKO'd Deoxys with Dragon Ascent with Rayquaza, who was ten levels lower. That's how broken that thing is. I haven't even bothered to EV train it because I can't use it anywhere competitively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)