The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
yes i have my first game was blue,
Wait, and you still write like an eleven-year-old?

Sorry, but as a mod I kind of have to tell you: Please put more effort into your writing. Without proper punctuation and capitalization it just looks like a mess, and it makes you seem illiterate. Which again makes other people read your posts in light of that - that is, you risk not being taken seriously.

If you just put a little more thought and effort into your posts, they will look a lot nicer and more contributing. Welcome to Smogon!

Wait, and you still write like an eleven-year-old?

Sorry, but as a mod I kind of have to tell you: Please put more effort into your writing. Without proper punctuation and capitalization it just looks like a mess, and it makes you seem illiterate. Which again makes other people read your posts in light of that - that is, you risk not being taken seriously.

If you just put a little more thought and effort into your posts, they will look a lot nicer and more contributing. Welcome to Smogon!
I didn't know it was your duty as moderator to be a grammar Nazi.

The first time I've played Pokémon fire red, after beating Misty, I was completely and utterly lost and I even had a goddamned Charizard before I figured out where to go.

I threw a Master Ball at a Grimer in Ruby to try to confirm that it would never fail when I was 9. I still believed that violently shaking your GBA about increased the chances of catching a Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There's a difference between correcting someone on minor spelling & grammar mistakes and asking someone who's sentences are hard to read to put more effort into them.

The_Snub_Bro, please start using punctuation marks, especially commas and periods.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
My duty is to enforce the rules, and one of Smogon's rules reads:

The rules said:
Employ the conventions of standard written English. Nobody is going to jump down your throat if you make a spelling mistake or split an infinitive, but please, your posts MUST be readable. As you might imagine, l33t 5p34k and other intentional misspellings (u, liek, etc.) are expressly banned. Spell out "you" and "your" instead of typing "u" or "ur." Don't be lazy!

I'm gonna start with a small one, it's not that facepalm worthy, but it's still facepalm worthy!... I think.

When i was 9, and i was playing Pokémon Gold for the first time, i got to the part where the officer asks Silver's name.
Since he was ??? when you fought him, i decided to be honest and make his name ???.
For the rest of my game, his name was ???.

I'm gonna start with a small one, it's not that facepalm worthy, but it's still facepalm worthy!... I think.

When i was 9, and i was playing Pokémon Gold for the first time, i got to the part where the officer asks Silver's name.
Since he was ??? when you fought him, i decided to be honest and make his name ???.
For the rest of my game, his name was ???.
Misunderstanding a badly translated phrase... I wouldn't say it's facepalm-worthy :P

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
When I was playing a "Too Much Water" Nuzloke (Nothing but Water Types) in Emerald, I was fighting two tubers that both had Tentacool out and I had Lilly the Lombre. The battle was on a beach, so I guessed that Nature Power would become Mud Shot. I'm pretty sure that it's Mud Shot and there's no way this could go wrong. When Lilly used Earthquake I immediately checked what my other Pokemon was. Tentacool. Long story short, my Tentacool died in the first battle I sent it out in and Lilly scored a Triple KO which earned her the new nickname Slayer.

I wasn't annoyed by my first casualty of the run because it was pretty funny.

When I first started playing Pokemon, I accidentally released a Dugtrio because I didn't know what would happen if I clicked the "release" button.

I also restarted my game once because I did the Jynx trade in Leaf Green and I couldn't figure out how to remove the Jynx from my party. (how was I supposed to know you had to take the mail it was holding?)

I got so lost in Mount Coronet while looking for Spear Pillar that I got angry, threw my DS across the room, and snapped the top screen almost completely off.

Then I cried. A lot.

Eventually, my father (who had never touched a Pokemon game in his life) found Spear Pillar for me, and I happily resumed playing.

In my first Pokemon game, Pokemon Diamond, I defeated all Legendaries except for Dialga when I've given up trying to catch them and saved afterwards, and the only reason why Dialga didn't end up like them was because I used the Master Ball on it.

I fixed the error of my ways in Platinum, when I've learned you can save before attempting to catch a Legendary and soft reset if you fail to do so.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Back when I had no idea what shiny pokemon were, I once turned the game off after encoutering a wild shiny Tentacool because I thought the game was malfunctioning and needed a break...
I heard that story a few times. I used to remember when the Pokemon site had a mailbag a kid caught a "Brown" Poochyena and asked if his game glitched which the site then assured him he didn't but he caught a "Shiny" Pokemon (not sure if they used the term "Shiny" though).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
(not sure if they used the term "Shiny" though)
The term "Shiny" is a strange case of official adoption of fan nicknames. I don't think the phenomenon was ever referred to by name until BW or so (even Bulbapedia preferred "Alternate Coloration", pointing out that "Shiny" was not the official term), but fans had called it "Shiny" since the GSC days. Then suddenly, a kid in BW (or was it HGSS?) starts talking about Shiny Pokémon, and the fandom rejoiced.

Now, I wonder if they'll ever adopt the terms we use for Base Stats, EVs and IVs. If I remember correctly, there is no official acknowledgement of Base Stats, but that's coincidentally the name they use for EVs. IVs are referred to by Game Freak with the vague term "Potential".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)