SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Running Tera Blast means you're actually saying "I *need* to Teralyze this". I mean, ofc there are exceptions who only really need stabs and maybe a setup move, but generally you're not willing to commit 1/4th of your moveset to a extremely conditional one unless that pokemon is your wincon. Think of Power Herb Meteor Beam, or Acrobatics, but much worse.
1667946998252.png

And then there’s this bastard gaining Adaptability-esque Flying STAB via Tera-Flying after setting up +1Atk and +1Spe to sweep your entire team with its near-perfect coverage moves that evaporate all of your Flying resists (because Moxie is still a thing on top of Tera-STAB).

Just like the past two generations, it's the obligate Bouncers/Flyers who are going to go bananas with the supermove gimmick of the moment.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Just like the past two generations, it's the obligate Bouncers/Flyers who are going to go bananas with the supermove gimmick of the moment.
Gen 7: Z-Moves let Fly/Bounce Pokemon have 1 Turn of 1 Turn STAB.
Gen 8: Dynamax let Fly/Bounce users have 3 Turns of 1 Turn Flying STAB
Gen 9: Terastal let Fly/Bounce users have as many turns of 1 Turn Flying STAB as they want!

Fly/Bounce users get better every Generation. Hopefuly, Gen 10 will let them use something other than Fly/Bounce without relying on the generation's gimmick.

View attachment 463470

And then there’s this bastard gaining Adaptability-esque Flying STAB via Tera-Flying after setting up +1Atk and +1Spe to sweep your entire team with its near-perfect coverage moves that evaporate all of your Flying resists (because Moxie is still a thing on top of Tera-STAB).

I see your Tera-Flying Gyarados and raise you the serperior Tera-Grass + Power Whip Gyarados:

+1 252+ Atk Adaptability Gyarados Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 280-330 (82.1 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
+1 252+ Atk (Grass) Gyarados Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

I think Tera Blast will really only have use on mons that need it for specific coverage. Many Pokemon can Tera without needing it.

I wonder just how hurt Pokemon that have to rely on Tera Blast for coverage will be really. Can't think of a higher tier mon that suffers from this. Lower tier examples though, I can think of quite a few.

Sprigatito's 2nd stage looks way better than the 3rd one.
Quaxly's evolutions need better pictures for better judgement, though I don't like the direction of the design.
Fuecoco's line wins for me, even though the leaks gave me the impression of a chubby crocodile happening. That thing doesn't look fat at all. Signature move is sound based if I remember correctly. Hopefully, it can distinguish itself from the other Fire/Ghost types that are almost granted to hit hard.

I wonder just how hurt Pokemon that have to rely on Tera Blast for coverage will be really. Can't think of a higher tier mon that suffers from this. Lower tier examples though, I can think of quite a few.
I mean, as I said above, I can see Spectrier and Serperior run it unironically since they clicked 1 move 90% of the time and the rest of their moveset sucks.
Probably Regieleki too.

Can't think of any other actual high tier pokemon that has a moveset SO bad they'd unironically run Tera Blast even outside teralyzing though.

I think Tera Blast will really only have use on mons that need it for specific coverage. Many Pokemon can Tera without needing it.

I can see Tera Blast becoming somewhat of a standard for Normal mons because they will always get stab on it and still keep the Tera flexibility.

But yeah, it's clearly not supposed to be the primary choice out there. Good move.

I mean, as I said above, I can see Spectrier and Serperior run it unironically since they clicked 1 move 90% of the time and the rest of their moveset sucks.
Probably Regieleki too.

Can't think of any other actual high tier pokemon that has a moveset SO bad they'd unironically run Tera Blast even outside teralyzing though.
I can think of a few others. Ice Tera Alakazam (magic guard lol), electric tera Blaziken, ground tera Magnezone, water tera Volcarona... And weird lower tier options like ground tera Vanilluxe or any offensive.

Tera Blast will certainly only be used on set up sweepers or lower tier Pokemon. I don’t see Tera Blast being a main stay for most Pokemon because you need to hog Terastallization and you likely already have same coverage moves.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyway, even though leaks are on the down low for now, I decided now that we have some new mons leaks to run down the generational archetypes and see what we've got. I hope I can keep updating this if more new mons get leaked in the coming days. In bold are the new members of each archetype. So far the most we have are the final forms of the starters and the bug, but I'll have the other ol' archetypes listed to update them with new members in the event we see them in the coming days.

- Venusaur
- Meganium
- Sceptile
- Torterra
- Serperior
- Chesnaught
- Decidueye
- Rillaboom
- Meowscarada

- Charizard
- Typhlosion
- Blaziken
- Infernape
- Emboar
- Delphox
- Incineroar
- Cinderace
- Skeledirge

- Blastoise
- Feraligatr
- Swampert
- Empoleon
- Samurott
- Greninja
- Primarina
- Inteleon
- Quaquaval

- Raticate
- Furret
- Linoone
- Bibarel
- Watchog
- Diggersby
- Gumshoos
- Greedent
- Dubwool
- Oinkologne

- Pidgeot
- Fearow
- Noctowl
- Swellow
- Pelipper
- Staraptor
- Unfezant
- Talonflame
- Toucannon
- Corviknight
- Kilowattrel

- Butterfree
- Beedrill
- Ledian
- Ariados
- Beautifly
- Dustox
- Kricketune
- Leavanny
- Scolipede
- Vivillon
- Vikavolt
- Orbeetle
- Spidops
- Lokix

- Pikachu
- Pichu (I guess lol)
- Plusle
- Minun
- Pachirisu
- Emolga
- Dedenne
- Togedemaru
- Morpeko
- Pawmot

- Dragonite
- Tyranitar
- Salamence
- Metagross
- Garchomp
- Hydreigon
- Goodra
- Kommo-o
- Dragapult
- Baxcalibur

- Ho-oh/Lugia
- Groudon/Kyogre
- Dialga/Palkia
- Reshiram/Zekrom
- Xerneas/Yveltal
- Solgaleo/Lunala
- Zacian/Zamazenta
- Koraidon/Miraidon

Rundown of the generational archetypes, at least that should be most of them!

Last edited:
Ghost Tera Dragapult will be scary since it will finally get a reliable physical Ghost STAB attack. Combined w/ the added power of Terralstilization, it will be a much scarier sweeper.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Dragapult Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 205-244 (52 - 61.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Dragapult Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 203-239 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Dragapult Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 211-250 (59.9 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As for Pokemon running Terablast outside of Terastalization, the main ones that come to mind are Klingklang and Lilligant. These Pokemon have barren movepools and would probably appreciate the normal coverage provided Tera Blast over their existing options. They are both sweepers so they'd also probably make use of their tera type to bypass their normal checks too.

Anyway, even though leaks are on the down low for now, I decided now that we have some new mons leaks to run down the generational archetypes and see what we've got. I hope I can keep updating this if more new mons get leaked in the coming days. In bold are the new members of each archetype. So far the most we have are the final forms of the starters and the bug, but I'll have the other ol' archetypes listed to update them with new members in the event we see them in the coming days.

- Venusaur
- Meganium
- Sceptile
- Torterra
- Serperior
- Chesnaught
- Decidueye
- Rillaboom
- Meowscarada

- Charizard
- Typhlosion
- Blaziken
- Infernape
- Emboar
- Delphox
- Incineroar
- Cinderace
- Skeledirge

- Blastoise
- Feraligatr
- Swampert
- Empoleon
- Samurott
- Greninja
- Primarina
- Inteleon
- Quaquaval

- Raticate
- Furret
- Linoone
- Bibarel
- Watchog
- Diggersby
- Gumshoos
- Greedent
- ???

- Pidgeot
- Fearow
- Noctowl
- Swellow
- Pelipper
- Staraptor
- Unfezant
- Talonflame
- Toucannon
- Corviknight
- ???

- Butterfree
- Beedrill
- Ledian
- Ariados
- Beautifly
- Dustox
- Kricketune
- Leavanny
- Scolipede
- Vivillon
- Vikavolt
- Orbeetle
- Lokix

- Pikachu
- Pichu (I guess lol)
- Plusle
- Minun
- Pachirisu
- Emolga
- Dedenne
- Togedemaru
- Morpeko
- (Insert Pawmi final form here)

- Dragonite
- Tyranitar
- Salamence
- Metagross
- Garchomp
- Hydreigon
- Goodra
- Kommo-o
- Dragapult
- ???

- Ho-oh/Lugia
- Groudon/Kyogre
- Dialga/Palkia
- Reshiram/Zekrom
- Xerneas/Yveltal
- Solgaleo/Lunala
- Zacian/Zamazenta
- Koraidon/Miraidon

Rundown of the generational archetypes, at least that should be most of them!
I feel like we might have an idea as to what the early-featured bird is.

Credibility somewhat shaky, but looks real. Its tongues being pepper centers and its teeth being seeds is pretty cool.
I am going to be SO MAD if this thing isn't real.

Dunno why, but the teeth puncturing through its lower jaw is almost enough to convince me it's real, feels like a design thing gamefreak would do.

Looks like the Steel/Fairy hammer 1st stage Pokemon. Looks cute, but the lack of a UI or anything else is throwing me off from 100% confirming it.
Could look pretty cool and be targeted by literally everyone on the Internet once it fully evolves.

love seeing how 5 pics of a parrot in the past 24 hours has collectively traumatized the pokemon community
:zonger:thank goodness that this thing can get dexited in gen 10

New leaks for the hake fish, cool.

This means that the list was fake...

Ungaboonguss is gone. Truly a very sad day.
I'll just nickname Great Spore as Ungaboongus tho lol
'Tis truly a depress'd day f'r us all. Howev'r, if 't ev'ry one of us decides to nameth our most wondrous sp'res ungaboonguss, then p'rhaps we can starteth a revolution throughout the orange islands f'rums, and hencef'rth ev'ry single one of us shalt has't a quite quaint ungaboonguss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)