Resource RU Cores V2 (ORAS cores from post #32 onwards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Update: When I made this thread ORAS wasn't released yet and as such, all the cores in the OP (so far) are XY RU cores.

From Post #32 and afterwards, all the cores are ORAS RU.

OP taken from Shaymin :D
permission granted from Molk

approved by Molk
art by Sapphire.

Welcome to the RU Core thread, where you can post, discuss, and debate about an essential part of teambuilding: Cores, and the synergy between certain Pokemon.

Effective cores are very important in competitive Pokemon, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. Defensive cores rely on covering a lot of attacking types and common threats within the core, while also offering team support, so that the core is useful even when walled. On the other hand, offensive cores still like having the common attacking types covered between its members, but offensive synergy is most important. Be it one member of the core attracting Pokemon that another member can easily switch into and force out, one member luring and weakening the checks and counters of another, or one member being able to beat the Pokemon that the other can't, those are the characteristics that are wanted from a good offensive core. Finally, there are mixed or balanced cores, as well as support and pivoting cores, which blend in into offensive and defensive cores. Support or pivoting elements in cores aim to either provide easier switch-in and set up chances to offensive Pokemon, or help to wall and stall out the opponent in the case of defensive cores.

The point of the project is to help teambuilders, newcomers, and other battlers to assist them in helping building their teams.
Therefore, please don't post bad examples such as Electivire + Pelipper. Post cores that truly work and be ready to defend why.

I suppose I should post a core as an example:

.............+

(additionally, any fire type + pursuit works, but this is the best.)

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

The first Pokemon that pops up on your mind when anyone asks for a Moltres counter is Slowking, and naturally, because it is one of the best counters. Moltres is an extreme Slowking magnet, and this core aims to take advantage of that. With Life Orb and U-turn, Moltres lures out Slowking, U-turn as they switch, doing a good amount of damage thanks to Life Orb + no -atk nature, and going right into Spiritomb to Pursuit and checkmate Slowking, allowing Moltres to wallbreak a lot easier. This is a win/win condition no matter what; even if Slowking gets a burn on Spiritomb with Scald if it decides to stay in on the pursuit. The only time this might not work is if Slowking didn't switch in on Moltres's U-turn.

I use speed EVs on Spiritomb to outspeed Rhyperior, Doublade, and Slowking all in one (as well as Escavalier aiming to outspeed Slowking), and hit them hard with the appropriate move or burn them. With the core, I also used Life Orb Whimsicott, but it doesn't do anything specific tbh, it just hits things like Rhyperior/Gastrodon/etc that might switch in on Moltres, and I used the core to support this LO Whimsicott anyway, so use it if you wish.

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Shadow Ball
- Encore

Some cores from the past thread:

by user: Antgeezy

Hazard-Stacking Offensive Core

Qwilzz (Qwilfish) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes

Druddigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Not really sure if this could be considered a core considering Qwilfish is just a suicide lead, but they work pretty well with each other so I'm rolling with it. The objective is to lead with Qwilfish, try to get as many layers of spikes/tspikes possible and then just explode if the opponent attempts to spin/defog. If you don't have to revenge an attempted spin/defog, Druddigon is usually a safe switch to go to so you can just plant rocks. Oh and taunt is on Qwilfish to taunt other common suicide leads like helix god.

-----------------------------------------

by user: Rob.

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Shadow Ball

This place isn't receiving enough attention, so I'm here to drop a jewel. I'm currently building a team around these two monsters; I assume there will be a huge increase of the usage of Meloetta and Delphox now that two of their biggest and best checks are gone (well Psychic-types in general received a huge boost in viability after the bans). But anyway these two function very well together thanks to their auspicious synergy. The strategy is very simple. Meloetta has a hard time dealing with bulky Steel-types who can switch in on all of its moves, subsequently forcing it out. Steel-types don't like fire so here is where the magician comes in. Meloetta can use U-turn to safely bring in Delphox on predicted Steel-type switch-ins. Delphox beats every Steel-type in the tier 1 vs 1 (it takes a shitton from Doublade's Shadow Sneak though). Then watch the tears of your opponent roll as Meloetta decimates their team after their counter is eliminated. It's not just limited to eliminating Steel-types either, Delphox can threaten most of the Pokemon in the tier with its great Speed and power. Calm Mind just makes it deadlier. And if you've managed to compile a great team that applies a ton of offensive pressure then the rest of the game should be e-z. Beware ... the reign of the Psychic-types is upon us.

--------------------------------------

By user: Molk

Defensive Core:

Weezing @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split / Flamethrower

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

This is a quite excellent defensive core if i do say so myself, and a great core to start off a stall/balanced team with for sure. Most Pokemon can be at least checked between the three Pokemon, and they happen to cover each other quite nicely overall, being quite hard to break through when played well. Weezing's solid Poison-type, great physical bulk, and access to Will-O-Wisp make it quite good at checking and countering various physical threats for its team such as Rhyperior, Virizion, Doublade, and Hitmonlee. These same attributes make it quite good at setting up multiple layers of Toxic Spikes, an always important tool for any defensive team that puts common wallbreakers such as Exploud on a timer, making them significantly easier to deal with. The only thing really holding Weezing back is a lack of reliable recovery: this is where Aromatisse comes in, as its access to both Wish (to keep Weezing healthy) and Aromatherapy (to keep things such as Will-O-Wisp from wearing down Weezing too much helps out immensely when it comes to keeping Weezing alive. To make things even better, Aromatisse's special bulk makes it quite easy to switch into Pokemon that would force Weezing out to throw up a Wish, and considering many of the physical attackers that can hope to break through Aromatisse struggle with Weezing (Doublade, Escavalier and Durant if Flamethrower), passing Wishes to Weezing is natural. Lastly, Slowking patches up most of the problems that Weezing+Aromatisse have on their own, providing some heavy duty Special Bulk to take on the special attackers that even Aromatisse can't (Moltres and Delphox are especially notable), and even checks some physical attackers that'd be an annoyance otherwise such as Cobalion, all in a hard to wear down package thanks to Regenerator. Assault Vest Slowking also provides the offensive presence for the core, using its solid base 100 Special Attack stat, Spammable STAB move, and great coverage to threaten opponents.

Last edited:

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses / Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play / Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Trick

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Frost Breath / Blizzard

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

This is a balanced core that I've been testing a bit. These three check many of the tier's most popular Pokemon such as, Gligar, Alomomola, Amoonguss, Virizion, Druddigon, Cobalion, the abundance of Psychic threats, and more. With Soundproof Abomasnow can serve as a soft check to Choice Specs Exploud and Choice Specs Meloetta. These three cover each other's weaknesses well, and are only susceptible to Ghost, Fire, and Dark moves. Abomasnow and Spiritomb work to get rid of defensive threats that serve as checks to Doublade. Abomasnow checks Gligar, Alomomola, Amoonguss, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, and Golbat. While Spiritomb seeks to harass the tier's Psychic types and Defensive walls with Pursuit, Sucker Punch, or Taunt, as well as cripple physically offensive threats with Will-O-Wisp. Spiritomb is also a great defensive mon' with an exceptional typing that makes it easy to use. Both of their efforts make it easier for Doublade to cut through the opposing team. You could plug in any of the tier's Dark types and change the sets in order to adjust the core to your playstyle. For example, you could also use Drapion over Spiritomb, and use it to harass stall teams with Knock Off and Taunt, or throw in T-Spikes + Whirlwind for some residual damage. Sharpedo could also fit in over Spiritomb which would make the core offensive. Like I said before the movesets I c/p'd can easily be changed to fit your style, those are just sets I use because they fit me.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
COMING THLUUU

NOT GYARADOS (Pelipper) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic / U-turn

NOT ELECTIVIRE (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

I really don't like how the OP makes Pelipper sound like an non-viable Pokemon for newer players, so I'm posting a Pelipper core I've been using a lot lately (and even scored some wins against better players with). It's a balanced core, which means it fits in a myriad of teams, with the premise of controlling the field through the use of Defog and Stealth Rock on two bulky Pokemon that can last outlast the opponent's Stealth Rock setter and Defog user most of the time. It's really simple, but since Gligar's (the main Pokemon for Defog) synergy with Rhyperior is really underwhelming, and not everyone likes to use Shiftry, Pelipper is a natural, albeit underrated choice. Rhyperior and Pelipper can check a really big amount of threatening Pokemon together, such as Doublade, Hitmonlee, some sets of Meloetta, Sharpedo and Cobalion, Durant, Escavalier, Fletchinder, lead Omastar and Moltres without Hidden Power Grass (most Choice Scarf sets and Life Orb with U-turn).

Good Pokemon to use with this core are those who benefit the most from hazard control. The most obvious Pokemon in that regard is Moltres, but there's probably other stuff. If you want to take a more defensive approach with this core though, either Aromatisse or Audino are good partners to grant Wish support for Rhyperior and Pelipper if the later ends up having to switch into Stealth Rock a lot of times. Also, this core really benefits from being paired with Revenge Killers that can pivot Hidden Power from the likes of Moltres and Jolteon, which can otherwise threat it to no end.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
taking this from what i posted in the np: thread :).

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Exploud+Fletchinder is a pretty neat offensive core that i think should be listed here. These two Pokemon work absolutely excellently with each other, and it's not hard to see why: with Exploud being one of the biggest threats to slower teams around while Fletchinder cleans up any faster offensive teams that Exploud would struggle against, but it goes a bit further than that. The real reason that Exploud and Fletchinder work so well together is because of how easily they can pressure each other's checks and counters, both Exploud's Boomburst and Fletchinder's Acrobatics share two common obstacles: bulky Rock- and Steel- types. Considering how absurdly powerful Exploud's Boomburst is, opponents will often be forced to either sacrifice something or go to their bulky Rock- or Steel-type to absorb a Boomburst or two, which is almost always naturally their Fletchinder check as well. Having to do this repeatedly over the match along with simply how strong Exploud's Boomburst is (it 3HKO's even SpD Rhyperior pretty cleanly iirc) wears these bulky Rock- and Steel-types down quite a bit, and once Exploud's job is done Fletchinder should usually be free to clean up what remains of the opposing team with its priority Acrobatics unimpeded. Outside of simply wearing down Rock- and Steel-types, Exploud's Boomburst is obviously quite excellent at tearing through the generally bulky Pokemon that Fletch might not be able to immediately KO, such as Alomomola. Overall a really cool offensive core that i'd advise for any newer player trying to get Fletchinder to work out =).

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure I've talked about this core in the NP thread, but figured I would post it here too:

HAZARD STACKING CORE

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Encore
- Final Gambit
- Bug Buzz

Imo, this is the best way to go about HO in the current metagame. Omastar's "newness" has kind of worn off and many teams now have ways of beating it. However, a combo core of Cobalion + Accelgor gives HO a lot of useful things. Cobalion is an all-purpose lead that is capable of setting hazards, preventing opposing hazards, and gaining early momentum. However, unlike Omastar, Cobalion is useful later in the match as its bulk and typing allows it to be a fantastic check to Sharpedo for offensive teams, easily avoiding the 2HKO from Waterfall while also avoiding the OHKO from Hydro Pump if it's a special Shark. Cobalion can also prevent Defog through the use of its fast Taunt and either its good matchup vs. the Defog user (Shiftry and Skuntank) or its tendency to lure them in due to its offensive presence. (Gligar and Golbat)

Cobalion is also the perfect Rocks setter to pair with Accelgor. As Cobalion makes for a fantastic lead in almost every respect, Accelgor prefers to pick a spot to set up Spikes, rather than be force to lead off in a match. Thanks to Taunt + Volt Switch, Cobalion can easily create openings for Accelgor to come in and set up Spikes. What's better is that Accelgor also has a way to prevent Defog, as well as Rapid Spin, thanks to Final Gambit. Because of this, it's very hard for the opponent to capitalize on the lower offensive presence of Accelgor and Cobalion as they have ways to prevent hazard removal. Cobalion is able to Volt Switch out of Hitmonlee into a spinblocker (such as Spiritomb or Doublade) while Taunt stops Defog since Cobalion outspeeds every relevant Defog user. Accelgor can use Final Gambit in the face of a hazard remover to prevent it from happening and safely bring in the needed response to force the hazard remover off the field. By the time the opponent gets another chance to get rid of the hazards, it will likely be too late.

The best part about this core is that Cobalion can be saved throughout the match. So even if the opponent is able to play really well and get rid of the hazards, Cobalion's Speed and natural bulk should give you the opportunity to at least get Stealth Rock back up on the field to keep stuff like Moltres and Delphox from having a field day, which is something Omastar will rarely ever be able to do due to its low Speed and lackluster defensive typing. Oh, and Cobalion absorbs Knock Off really well. Who doesn't want that on their team?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
By the way, i might add a core of my own here later, but there are a few cores mentioned below that really need writeups here imo :). Listed below.

Alomomola+Aromatisse (Defensive)

Amoonguss+Slowking (Defensive)

Omastar+Doublade (Offensive)

Doublade+Meloetta (Offensive)

Moltres+Shiftry+Slowking (Offensive)

Alomomola+Roselia (Defensive)

Hitmonlee+Moltres (Defensive)

Gligar+Slowking (Defensive)

Alomomola+Escavalier (Balanced)

Alomomola+Druddigon (Balanced)

Alomomola+Mega Abomasnow (Balanced)

Alomomola+Virizion (Balanced)

Combusken+Xatu (Baton Pass)

Togetic+Sharpedo (Baton Pass)

Alomomola+Amoonguss (Defensive)

If you have any experience with any of the cores listed above, writeups for the OP of the thread would be grealy appreciated :).

Reactions: g
Defensive

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald / Waterfall
- Wish
- Protect / Mirror Coat
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play

Alomomola and Amoonguss are easily built around because of their above average defenses and their amazing ability, Regenerator. Thanks to Regenerator, the core is very hard to wear down because both Pokemon replenish health as they switch in and out of battle. Alomomola can also restore its own health or the health of its teammates with Wish. Both Pokemon cover each others weaknesses well. The core is only susceptible to Flying- and Psychic-type attacks, a weakness that can easily be covered by other teammates. This core appreciates entry hazard support because it forces a lot of switches. They'll also need Rapid Spin or Defog support because they'll be switching a lot themselves. The cores biggest problem is bulky setup sweepers because they can take a few uninvested Scald's, Sludge Bomb's, and Giga Drain's. They can also block Alomomola's and Amoonguss's attempts to status them with Substitute. Powerful Special Attackers like Moltres can be a problem as well. But at the cost of Protect, Alomomola can use Mirror Coat, which allows it to take some special attacks and heavily damage or OKHO the attacker in return. Foul Play is used on Amoonguss in order to punish Pokemon like Doublade, who seek to boost their Attack in an attempt to break through the core. Because of their synergy and affinity for team support, these Pokemon fair well against most of the tier and together they form one of the best defensive cores available in RU.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Balanced Core

Moltres @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Substitute
- Roost

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Grass Knot

For balanced or offensive teams, this core works exceptionally well - These three have great type synergy as well as offensive pressure (no pun intended).

First off, Moltres is a great wallbreaker due to its STAB moves only being resisted by one type, being rock. Fire Blast and Hurricane are its main stab moves that are fairly spammable if the opponent does not have a rock type such as Rhyperior. Hidden power grass is mainly for Rhyperior, but it also hits Gastrodon and a few other pokemon. Substitute can capitalize on the many switches that Moltres forces, works in tandem alongside roost and pressure. Roost gives Moltres some survivability against offensive and defensive teams, as well as being bale to heal up stealth rock damage in a pinch. Even though both of its main attacks have very high base power, their accuracy is not completely reliable. Also, Moltres is 4x weak to stealth rocks - However, that can be remedied with Shiftry, who is a great offensive utility pokemon. With STAB knock off and Sucker Punch, Shiftry tends to force quite a few switches, allowing it to get off a defog in many situations. Leaf Storm is to hit physically defensive pokemon on their weaker side like gligar or alomomola, and can tend to be unexpected. Slowking acts as a sponge for special hits, as the previous two are lacking in bulk. Scald and Psyshock are mandatory STABs, while Fire Blast gives good coverage on steel types. Dragon tail can phase out sweepers like delphox, while grass knot hits bulky water types like gastrodon.

This core pairs well with a physical setup sweeper like Doublade, as Moltres and Shiftry do a great job of breaking down walls for a sweep mid to late game.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
By the way, i might add a core of my own here later, but there are a few cores mentioned below that really need writeups here imo :). Listed below.

Alomomola+Aromatisse (Defensive)

Amoonguss+Slowking (Defensive)

Omastar+Doublade (Offensive)

Doublade+Meloetta (Offensive)

Moltres+Shiftry+Slowking (Offensive)

Alomomola+Roselia (Defensive)

Hitmonlee+Moltres (Defensive)

Gligar+Slowking (Defensive)

Alomomola+Escavalier (Balanced)

Alomomola+Druddigon (Balanced)

Alomomola+Mega Abomasnow (Balanced)

Alomomola+Virizion (Balanced)

Combusken+Xatu (Baton Pass)

Togetic+Sharpedo (Baton Pass)

Alomomola+Amoonguss (Defensive)

If you have any experience with any of the cores listed above, writeups for the OP of the thread would be grealy appreciated :).
Pro defensive Lee + Moltres core molk ;o

Some cores that should be added imo: Alomomola + Registeel (defensive)

Meloetta + Dugtrio (offensive)

Exploud + Dugtrio (offensive)

Moltres + Gligar (balanced)

Moltres + Skuntank (offensive / balanced)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Hitmonlee + Moltres as I've been using this core for a while now on a few of my teams.

Molk

Godlike Usmash

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Gligar and Slowking are partners in crime when it comes to giving that bulky offense team some defensive backbone, and boy do they do it well. Gligar's an incredibly bulky Pokemon, but its weaknesses to Water- and Ice-type moves are a bit of a letdown, and that poor special bulk often makes it buckle against powerful special attackers such as Moltres: This is where Slowking comes in. Assault Vest Slowking is exceptionally bulky on the special side, and Regenerator gives it some nice passive recovery to boot. Slowking can easily take all the Scalds and Ice Beams that are often aimed at Gligar, and can take on most of the Special Attackers that use Gligar as a free opportunity to switch in too, such as Moltres, making it quite the excellent partner for everyone's favorite scorpion. In return, Gligar's absolutely insane physical bulk lets it take all the powerful physical attacks such as Druddigon's Outrage, Escavalier's Megahorn, and Doublade's Shadow Claw that are often used against Slowking, and its Ground-type lets it absorb all the Thunderbolts and Volt Switches often aimed at Slowking. It should also be noted that while these Pokemon are very bulky, they aren't really sitting ducks either. Assault Vest Slowking's decent base 100 Special Attack stat and great coverage let it pose an offensive presence most defensive Pokemon can't, and Gligar's U-turn ensures that it isn't a complete momentum killer every time it comes in, in fact turning it into quite the pivot.

Because Gligar and use Defog to clear away entry hazards and this core struggles a bit with Virizion, Choice Scarf Moltres and Fletchinder are great teammates for this core. They really appreciate the defensive backbone these two provide and Gligar's Defog keeps the field clear of Stealth Rock, letting the two birds function to their fullest.

Last edited:
Reactions: g

EonX

Battle Soul
Offensive Core

+

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch / Sucker Punch

Moltres and Hitmonlee form a pretty scary offensive core. There aren't many Pokemon in RU capable of handling these two put together. Hitmonlee provides Moltres with much needed hazard control and it has some serious power behind its High Jump Kicks. It also has a tendency to lure in the likes of Weezing, Glgiar, and Amoonguss, all 3 of which are Pokemon Moltres handles quite easily. I didn't list a particular set for Moltres because just about any Moltres set can work well with Hitmonlee outside of the defensive SubRoost set. Agility Moltres loves Hitmonlee's ability to wear down defensive cores. Choice Scarf Moltres benefits in a similar way, but it also has U-turn to grant Hitmonlee extra switch-in opportunities. Finally, standard Life Orb Moltres just forms a really scary wallbreaking core with Lee that few defensive teams can handle repeated attacks from. If you're willing to use a different Rapid Spin / Defog user, you can even throw a Choice Scarf on Hitmonlee and pair it with Life Orb Moltres. Overall, this is a solid offensive core that is pretty flexible depending on the other members of the team.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Double posting cause why not, this core is really relevant and needs a spot here.

Offensive Core:

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Choice Specs Meloetta is an incredibly good Pokemon, but there's one Pokemon that consistently stands in its way and stops it from being as threatening to defensive teams as it could be: Registeel. What's the best way to get rid of a troublesome Pokemon like this? trapping it of course! This is where Dugtrio comes in. Because of Meloetta's access to U-turn, it's exceptionally good at baiting Registeel in, giving it what seems like a free opportunity to switch in and either set up Stealth Rock or fire off a Toxic, but instead just immediately switching out of Registeel with right as it comes in, getting Dugtrio in for free, trapping Registeel and letting Dugtrio pick it off easily with Earthquake. Once Registeel is down for the count, Meloetta can spam its Choice Specs boosted Hyper Voices and Psychics that much more easily, and it can do major damage to the opposing team unimpeded from that point on. Aside from Registeel, Dugtrio can also easily trap Drapion: a Pokemon that troubles Meloetta a bit thanks to its immunity to Psychic-type moves.

As for Pokemon to pair with this core, pretty much anything else that appreciates the removal of Registeel from the game is a great Pokemon to pair up with these two. Good examples include Exploud, special Sharpedo, Rotom-Mow, Fletchinder, and Mega Abomasnow

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Following on Molk's core, this is a much similar core in the sense that it aims to capitalize on Exploud's wallbreaking power by trapping its answers with Dugtrio. Although Registeel can still be theoretically checked by Exploud's Fire Blast, Exploud wants to spam Boomburst as much as possible, due to how hard it hits and Exploud's access to Scrappy. Life Orb is used on Dugtrio so that Duggy doesn't become set-up bait for anything with wings after trapping something, such as the afromentioned Steels and Pokemon that can revenge kill Exploud, although Choice Band lets Dugtrio hit a little harder. The last slot on Exploud is mainly filler, so a set with Silk Scarf and Work Up can be used, however Exploud rarely finds time to set up.

Good partners for this core include the Pokemon that Molk included in his core (Fletchinder, Mega Abomasnow), but Exploud really loves Sticky Web support, which is provided by Kricketune. SW Support also lets Dugtrio beat Jolteon without being outsped and killed by HP Grass / Water.

EonX

Battle Soul
Defensive Core:

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SDef / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Whirlwind

+

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb

This is a really neat core for stall teams. When building a stall team, Toxic Spikes support is one of the first things that should come to mind as the passive damage it provides is very useful. However, in a tier with powerful Rapin Spin users in Hitmonlee, Sandslash, and Kabutops, all of which have access to Knock Off, it can be hard to keep Toxic Spikes around for very long while keeping your bulky Ghost-type in the game. This core doesn't face that problem. Drapion supplies Toxic Spikes support and can utilize Whirlwind to keep the opposing Rapin Spin / Defog user from getting in at will. Taunt prevents opponents from getting up their own entry hazards and also keeps dangerous sweepers from setting up. Gourgeist-Super is responsible for keeping those hazards on the field. One of the biggest problems for Ghost-types in RU is an inability to A.) stay healthy after being hit with Knock Off from a spinner and B.) a vulnerability to Sandslash's STAB Earthquake. Gourgeist faces neither of these problems as Leech Seed + Protect can give it enough recovery to hang around against Hitmonlee while STAB Seed Bomb keeps Kabutops from trying to stay in and go for Stone Edge. Will-O-Wisp makes the core even better as it gives the core a way to give a status ailment to Pokemon not affected by Toxic Spikes (Registeel, Amoonguss, Rotom-C, etc.) It's also useful to pressure the bulkiest Defoggers with as they (Gligar and Golbat) rely on Eviolite for their bulk, and thus have no passive recovery to speak of.

This core is shredded by Moltres and Delphox doesn't exactly have a hard time with it either, though it is worn down by Toxic Spikes. Regirock and Slowking are good options to support this core for that reason. Regirock is able to set up Stealth Rock and carry Toxic to hit Moltres with a status ailment, the only Pokemon in RU capable of avoiding Toxic Spikes + Will-O-Wisp. Slowking has Regenerator to stay healthy and Dragon Tail to spread poison throughout the opponent's team should Toxic Spikes be down. A late-game sweeper such as SubCM Meloetta, SubBU Braviary, and SubCM Cresselia can take full advantage of Toxic Spikes + Will-O-Wisp as they set up to sweep.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Defensive Core:

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Amoonguss+Slowking is one of RU's classic Regenerator cores, and just one look at the two can tell you that they cover each other quite well. Amoonguss is capable of switching in on many of the Pokemon that threaten Slowking, including Electric- and Grass-types such as Shiftry, Rotom-Mow, Heliolisk, Jolteon, and Virizion, as well as misc Pokemon such as Sharpedo, easily holding them off over the course of the match and using them as opportunities to put something to sleep with Spore. In return, Slowking is easily capable of switching in on the Fire-types that trouble Amoonguss, such as Delphox and Moltres, can take various Psychic-type moves from Pokemon such Meloetta that are often aimed at the mushroom, and beats most Cobalion varients: a Pokemon that easily gets free turns against Amoonguss once the sleep clause is in effect. Because of Regenerator, Amoonguss and Slowking are both capable of passively recovering off damage simply by switching out, making pivoting between the two natural and making keeping them both healthy quite easy and simple. It should be noted that while the Slowking listed here is holding an Assault Vest, that's not the only way to utilize Slowking on this core, and both CM and Specially Defensive Slowking work quite well too!

This core might be solid, but it does struggle with a few things that can easily be covered by teammates. First off, Flying-types such as Braviary and Fletchinder can be quite troublesome: they can easily break through Slowking's decent but not great physical bulk and hit Amoonguss super effectively, so Pokemon that can take them on easily, such as Rhyperior make quite good teammates for this core. In general, Steel-type Pokemon work nicely, as many of the other Pokemon that can break through this core, such as Mega Abomasnow and Escavalier all happen to struggle with breaking through bulky Steel-type Pokemon. Some good examples include Magneton, Cobalion, Registeel, and Doublade.

Lastly, while it's not strictly *required* Rapid Spin/Defog support is appreciated to help Slowking and Amoonguss get the most out of Regenerator. Good examples of Pokemon that can provide this support include Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, and Gligar.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Misc. Core:

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Baton Pass

STEEL XATU (Xatu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Combusken is a great offensive support Pokemon, capable of setting up multiple times per game and passing on said boosts to its teammates to make them that much more threatening, but there's one problem that consistently gets in Combusken's way when it tries to do this, and that's Roar and Whirlwind. However, there's an easy way to remedy this issue, and that's by pairing Combusken up with a Xatu. With Xatu on Combusken's side, the chicken doesn't need to worry about getting phazed out by Roar and Whirlwind at all, as it can simply Baton Pass to Xatu whenever the users of the move rear their ugly heads, reflecting the moves back at them thanks to Xatu's Magic Bounce ability and ensuring the turns Combusken spent boosting its stats aren't used in vain. It's also notable that Magic Bounce happens to bounce back Taunt and Toxic Spikes as well, two other royal pains for Combusken. Xatu doesn't just bounce back phazing moves though, it also benefits from Combusken's support immensely. Despite not being a physical attacker like Combusken's usual recipients, the Defense and Speed boosts provided by Combusken make it very easy for Xatu to safely set up multiple Calm Minds, reducing the amount of damage Xatu takes from physical attacks while setting up and helping the bird recover before it can get hit by an attack, respectively. This quickly racks up even more stat boosts under Xatu's belt, boostd the Base Power of Xatu's Stored Power to ridiculous levels, and makes it quite easy to pull off a sweep with Xatu if the opponent can't stop it in time, making these two great partners in crime. Even if the opponent does manage to stop Xatu, the opposing team will often be weakened to the point that they can't handle round two of Combusken's Bulk Up Pass shenanigans afterwards.

As this core is meant to be used exclusively on teams centered around Combusken, anything that makes a good recipient of Combusken's Bulk Up boosts makes a great teammate for this core. Good examples of Pokemon that work well there include Hitmonlee, Drapion, Virizion, Cobalion, Braviary, and Druddigon.

you guys let your threads die too fast.

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

OR

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Roost

+

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit / Poison Jab / Foul Play
- Punishment / Taunt
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

At this point in the current metagame, Skuntank is really underrated due to its ability to fit on balance / semistall teams with its distinct quality of being able to check the Psychic-types that plague the aformentioned team archetypes, as most of them would usually get set up on without the support of their own set up support or SpDef Meloetta (not that it's a bad thing to use those though). This lets it serve as a cool stallbreaker, hazard cleaner, and even a decent revenge killer. Moltres loves having the aforementioned hazards cleared, and also the removal of Slowking if Skunk is running Pursuit. Scarf sets can be used with Skunk to check common answers to Skuntank that would give it less opportunities to come in, such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Aromatisse if it's not running Poison Jab, while serving as a huge threat to hyper offense teams. SubToxic can be used as well on more defensively based teams to wear down many of Skuntank's checks, as well as potentially cripple common switch-ins such as Slowking, Lanturn, and Regirock.

There really isn't much to say for partners as they both pull their weight very well together, but since they fit on more defensively-based teams, Wish support from Pokemon such as Aromatisse, Alomomola, and Audino are appreciated, as Skuntank can get worn down fairly easily. Pokemon that can get rid of Rhyperior are also good partners, such as the aformentioned Alomomola, Slowking, and Mega Abomasnow all make good partners.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
you guys let your threads die too fast.

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

OR

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Roost

+

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit / Poison Jab / Foul Play
- Punishment / Taunt
- Defog
- Sucker Punch

At this point in the current metagame, Skuntank is really underrated due to its ability to fit on balance / semistall teams with its distinct quality of being able to check the Psychic-types that plague the aformentioned team archetypes, as most of them would usually get set up on without the support of their own set up support or SpDef Meloetta (not that it's a bad thing to use those though). This lets it serve as a cool stallbreaker, hazard cleaner, and even a decent revenge killer. Moltres loves having the aforementioned hazards cleared, and also the removal of Slowking if Skunk is running Pursuit. Scarf sets can be used with Skunk to check common answers to Skuntank that would give it less opportunities to come in, such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Aromatisse if it's not running Poison Jab, while serving as a huge threat to hyper offense teams. SubToxic can be used as well on more defensively based teams to wear down many of Skuntank's checks, as well as potentially cripple common switch-ins such as Slowking, Lanturn, and Regirock.

There really isn't much to say for partners as they both pull their weight very well together, but since they fit on more defensively-based teams, Wish support from Pokemon such as Aromatisse, Alomomola, and Audino are appreciated, as Skuntank can get worn down fairly easily. Pokemon that can get rid of Rhyperior are also good partners, such as the aformentioned Alomomola, Slowking, and Mega Abomasnow all make good partners.
I can attest to this being a pretty solid core. The two kinds of support that Moltres appreciates the most by FAR are Defog support to get rid of Stealth and Pursuit support to help out against common Moltres's most common check: Slowking, and Skuntank can provide both those forms of support admirably in just one teamslot! Although i'd like to bring up BlackGlasses as an alternative option for Skuntank on more aggressive teams simply to guarentee the 2HKO on AV Slowking with Pursuit when Stealth Rock is up, even if it stays in.

As for teammates to this core, i like Swords Dance Lum Virizion quite a bit. As Bouffalant mentioned Moltres and Skuntank still struggle quite a bit with Rock-types such as Rhyperior and the occasional Regirock, and Virizion is able to take on these Pokemon quite handily, threatening them with either Leaf Blade or Close Combat and being able to set up Swords Dance in their face bar the occasional Roar from the former. Moltres's U-turn is a great way to get Virizion in for free too given the aforementioned Rock-types try to switch in on Choice Scarf Moltres quite often. In return, Skuntank can take on the Bulky Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Cresselia that threaten Virizion, Moltres poses a big threat to some of the Poison-types that attempt to check Virizion, including Amoonguss and Weezing, and both Moltres and certain varients of Skuntank can threaten Doublade for Virizion too! The three work together pretty damn well imo :).

Last edited:
Defensive/Balanced Core
alomomola.gif

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic/Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect

magneton.gif

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

The general idea of this core idea came by sheer coincidence. I simply happened to use a team that used Alomomola and Magneton, and it made me realize how good of synergy they actually have! - Alomomola can Wish/Pass and Toxic things. And Magneton can trap the Steel types that fail to be poisoned by Toxic, set up a free sub and go on and kill Steel types from there. It's also an amazing momentum grabber if you bring it in on something that's not Steel (because then you'd obviously wanna take the time to kill it straight away). Of course not if they have a Ground type, but the thing is that you can bring in Alomomola then. And get a free Wish/Toxic/Scald off. Another thing that makes Magneton a great partner is the fact that it doesn't care about Toxic. It also has amazing coverage and can be a pain for your opponent if played conservately and correctly. Which is also a default asset that Alomomola has. But that's beside the point. And you also need to realize that these are only 2 members of the team, imagine what would be possible along with 4 others!

Going into the Alomomola set, you can surely assume that's it's very standard. The only thing that I think is changeable is switching up Toxic for Knock Off or Mirror Coat. But I just love Toxic! It breaks through walls that this duo normally wouldn't be able to break!

As for Magnetons set, the 128 EVs in Speed are there to outspeed Gligar. Not a huge threat or anything, but It's just convenient to be able to outspeed it. It also helps outspeeding other things in the tier. The only move I'd consider changing is Hidden Power [Ice], but the Bolt/Beam combo is just so solid! However, you can opt to play Flash Cannon or Hidden Power [Fire]. But me personally wouldn't suggest HP Fire, seeing as how the only things you'd play it for (Escavalier and Durant) can't really touch Magneton in the first place. Thunderbolt is more than enough.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zkillerthriller that sounds like an interesting core, but I have 2 things that I would like to say. Firstly, I'd use Analytic over Magnet Pull because Magneton won't be trapping many steels that can't either hurt it outright or in Doublade's case, not even trapped. Additionally, the boost can really come in handy when the opp switches, and Magneton can hurt pretty hard. Secondly, both Escavalier and Durant can actually very well touch Magneton (lol), the former with Drill Run and the latter with Superpower which it sometimes carries, but is kinda rare to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)