Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot

I have Sash Greninja w/ Protean because it puts a lot of pressure on the enemy mons. Icebeam is there for coverage against scary mons, and for weakened mons. It's a really good move to have stab with. Water Shuriken is there to take out any weakened mons, and Greninja definitely has the speed to do so. Dark Pulse is for Aegislash and Mega Metagross, as well as mons like Cresselia. It also works really well as flinch cheese and has won me many games via flinching. Gunk Shot is great coverage for all the Tapu's and coverage for anything else weak to it. I like Sash gren cause it can really fit to cover weaknesses of my team with moves.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Infernape is a good pivot mon, and banded lets it hit as hard as possible when pivoting. Flare Blitz for obvious stab, as well as close combat. Gunk Shot is there for the Tapu's once again, as they are a massive threat in the battle spot. It also threatens fairy types like Azumarill and Primarina. Close Combat and Flare Blitz are my main damage when something doesn't resist them, and I can hit as hard as possible with band, and not many things like taking them. It pairs well as a pivot with my greninja, which is my goal.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 136 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Mirror Coat
- Leech Life
- Sticky Web

A really weird mon but one I have grown to love using. Water Bubble Liquidation Waterium Z makes for one hell of a move. Many mons have trouble breaking Araquanid, and its z-move can break through many mons. Leech Life for recovery and STAB, Mirror coat is there to potentially use on tapu koko volt switches, surprising the enemy. Sticky Web makes for a really good hazard, and gives me control over speed. Adamant because I want liquidation/zmove to hit as absolutely hard as possible.

Serperior @ Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Taunt

Serperior is a good wallbreaker when it ramps up power, and can sweep very well if set up properly. Leaf Storm is the main reason for this. HP Fire is for things that serp can't handle well such as skarmory or ferrothorn. Taunt is there to stop recovery walls from stopping my contrary sweep, disabling their recovery moves unless they are offensive, allowing serperior to spam leaf storm. Glare is to paralyze threats to my team that would otherwise wreck havoc on some of my slower mons. It also gives me some more speed control

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Scarf Excadrill deals with Mimikyu very well with mold breaker, iron head being able to hit past it. EQ Mold Breaker puts any mon with levitate at a disadvantage.
Rock Slide is for coverage and flinch cheese, same with iron head. Flinching has won me quite a few games. Rapid spin is because my team seems to struggle with hazards, as it is kind of reliant on switching. Jolly to help me outspeed many things, mainly mimikyu though. I really despise mimikyu and its ability really disrupts battles, which I hate.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Gardevoir mega because I needed a mega, and it is a strong one. It is quite slow however, which is a downfall. Hyper Voice for pixilate stab. Psychic for stab as well. Shadow ball provides coverage for many things, and so does thunderbolt. Modest because gardevoir is naturally slow, and I would prefer to be able to inflict as much damage on enemies as possible. Max Speed and Spatk because offense is key in this mon. Potentially Hyper Beam as a massive nuke to anything that I think would threaten me, but I'm not sure how good this is.

That's it, this is my team for BSS! I am testing it on Smogon, and I would really like the input of people with teambuilding experience! I am very new and not that experienced with team building, so all input is appreciated!
The only two mons I'd really like to keep if possible by recommendations are Greninja and Araquanid, but I'm willing to part with them at a good argument. Thanks RMT!!

Hello mate, and welcome!

First thing first, i 100% respect that you're using Mega Garde that is such an underused mega. Now without further ado let's rate.

1) Item clause
you can't use two focus sashes and you have them on Gren and Serp.
You can either use a more offensive item on Greninja such as Life Orb or Waterium Z, or going for a more defensive one on Serp such as Rocky Helmet, using a bulkier evs spread and adding Synthesis.

I'd honestly keep Serp's item and change Greninja. Torrent Waterium Z or Protean Life Orb are both great options.

2) Team composition

Mega Garde absolutely needs a steel-type partner. Scarfdrill is nice, despite being pretty frail. Ferrothorn and Celesteela are two options if you want bulk. Whereas Scarfdrill gets some crucial revenge kills, but can't switch in as much as these two can. Landorus-T is another strong option that gives you protection from poison-type while also giving potentially crucial -1 to physically offensive threats.
Talking about revenge kills, the team as it is now looks weak to Charizard Y. Like a lot weak.
Infernape isn't much of a mon, and if switching out Excadrill it's honestly up to you, here instead id strongly consider switching it out for another fire-type. Heatran and Incineroar are good candidates, the former being also a much appreciated steel-type and the latter being able to switch into ghost-type attacks to cover garde while also using its ability to lower opponent mons' attack. Anyways both are pretty good vs CharY.

I do like Araquanid, but you already have a water-type in greninja. I do like the fact that the spider can use webs, giving you another way to control the speed, but in your team it actually feels unnecessary.
I'd honestly add another mega and Charizard Y itself feels great with the other 5.

3) Sets

literally every move in the game (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse / Rock Tomb
- Gunk Shot
- Water Shuriken

great movepool, good vs everything overall. Rock Tomb offers more speed control for both of your megas, while also giving you an answer to Charizard.

Super liquidator 2000 (Greninja) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Cannon
- Substitute
- Water Shuriken

Strong nuke. Substitute till you're in Torrent's range, then clean.

Fatdog Mendoza @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Offers protection to your physically frail megas.

Nuke from the Sky @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 164 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Substitute

gives you strong offensive power.

Fake Dragon @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flame Charge / Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Air Slash
- Solar Beam / Air Slash

Standard set. Eq to beat Heatran. Air Slash to beat CharX.

Nuke Fake Dragon @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Outspeeds base 135 after a Flame Charge. Maximize damage with a Modest nature and has a little bit of extra bulk.

Big Oven @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 108 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power / Substitute
- Earth Power / Protect / Rock Tomb

Specially defensive Tank.

Charged Oven @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 132 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Outspeeds Greninja after a rock tomb and has a great nuke, specially if the sun is up. Offers more speed control.

Other minor changes/options:

garde focus blast is an option over tb or sb
serperior mirror coat since it has focus sash. Hp rock and hp ground are options too. With this new team i'd honestly go with HP Rock.

4) Final composition

Let me know how it goes

It's been a while but I'm sorta back into this. idk, mostly just done randbats lol.

But anyways, the first thing that stand out is the Infernape. It just isn't very good mostly a worse Blaziken. if using it I think it needs Mach Punch and Iron Fist. It's not enough of a niche but it is one. Stone Edge would be better than Gunk Shot for Zard Y and in general. lastly 4 spare evs in SpD(serperior too) to give p2 a usually useless atk boost.

Excadrill doesn't have much of a movepool but I'd still get rid of Rapid Spin for sure. Hazards are common but not worth the moveslot to remove, especially cause Exca is frail and you only have 1 rock weak mon, which is likely a lead if brought. Fissure or Horn Drill is ok to go fishing w/ if you have to. Cause frailty you won't get many chances ofc. Rock Tomb is also very good. Not as much use on a Scarf set but better than Rapid Spin, that will make you set up bait if you ever use it.

If you're thinking of getting rid of a move on Garde that could work but I'd definitely not use Hyper Beam. It is a nuke but then they can set up so it's pretty rarely right to use. And if you do put it in you either forego a bit of much needed(and still lacking cause of 4MSS) coverage or a more reliable 'fairy' STAB which is really bad. And I'm a huge fan of bypassing substitutes. You could use Calm Mind to make Hyper Voice about as strong as unboosted Hyper Beam w/o the drawback. Also put 4 EVs in HP. Tbh I've been out of this too long to have any idea why it is, but 77% of Garde run Psyshock, vs. 10% w/ Psychic. Maybe someone else could elaborate on why. If you don't have a specific reason to choose Psychic not shock I'd go w/ the latter, 67% is enough difference to say it's just generally better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)