Popplio, Brionne, Primarina DIscussion

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Welcome back! And, to answer your question, my guess is that Sparkling Aria may be similar to Ribombee's signature move, Pollen Puff, in that it won't harm burned targets, only heal them, lending it some utility in Doubles. That said, Liquid Hyper Voice will definitely be preferred, especially since VGC 2017 won't allow Hyper Voice on any of the -ate Ability users.
I hope it's AOE - physical partners that resist water would appreciate it.

I don't see why Her signature move is getting so much hate. I hear to use her Z move you need to use this move. I haven't looking up what it does, wanna be a bit surprised, but I plan to use the Z cyrstal on this pokemon. Plus Aria I assume is sound based, so a surf that goes through substitues without having to use her hidden ability is nice.

I see her using Assault vest quite well actually. She has one of the highest Spc Attacks of water type pokemon, and decent special bulk, plus a good offensive move list.

Modest, Assault vest
Sparkling Aria
Moonblast
Energy Ball
Hyper Voice/Psychic

Hyper voice would hit more, but She is going to be on my team with Tapu Lele, so psychic is also a very valid option. I don't want to use Scald since I have a Salazzle, and I want to toxic everything.

I see a lot of people thinking of these pokemon by themselves, and not thinking on how they would fit on the specific team they are building.

EDIT: Derp I said I was gonna use the Z cyrstalk but listed assult vest. I guess it depends on how good her Z move is

Last edited:
I dont see this pokemon being OU. Sure it has great offensive power and typing but it is frail physically and slow. I do envision it being pretty decent though being able to punch holes in the opposing team with its STAB moves.

If this thing got Calm Mind it couldve kind have been like Sylveon with better coverage....idk though unless this thing gets like Boomburst down the line its not gonna be OU at all. Still seems like it could be goo in UU though.

like if I could run this thing 252 HP/252 Def with a bold nature and calm mind stack that wouldve been great....top tier UU stuff if it ever gets it

I don't see why Her signature move is getting so much hate. I hear to use her Z move you need to use this move. I haven't looking up what it does, wanna be a bit surprised, but I plan to use the Z cyrstal on this pokemon. Plus Aria I assume is sound based, so a surf that goes through substitues without having to use her hidden ability is nice.

I see her using Assault vest quite well actually. She has one of the highest Spc Attacks of water type pokemon, and decent special bulk, plus a good offensive move list.

Modest, Assault vest
Sparkling Aria
Moonblast
Energy Ball
Hyper Voice/Psychic

Hyper voice would hit more, but She is going to be on my team with Tapu Lele, so psychic is also a very valid option. I don't want to use Scald since I have a Salazzle, and I want to toxic everything.

I see a lot of people thinking of these pokemon by themselves, and not thinking on how they would fit on the specific team they are building.

EDIT: Derp I said I was gonna use the Z cyrstalk but listed assult vest. I guess it depends on how good her Z move is
Just saying, Starters have an 87.5% male gender ratio...

Just saying, Starters have an 87.5% male gender ratio...
Don't understand why people gender Pokemon initially.

-

Maybe a Wall Primarina? Scald, Protect, Moonblast, Charm / Baby Doll Eyes with Leftovers. It just seems like another Vaporeon or Milotic with the Secondary type.

Yeah, but I'm resetting till I get a Modest Lady
That's gonna be a lot of resetting

Edit: Should add some substance to this post besides some snark. If my avatar don't make it obvious I've been Popplio from the start and seeing it become Primerina with the stats being pretty good makes me happy overall with this gen's water starter. I think it could rock a decent AV set with the nice SpD stat and decent bulk. Has a lot of attacking options too which helps more. Maybe something with a Modest nature, max investment in HP and SpA with Scald, Moonblast, Energy Ball and Hydro Pump?

Especially since choosing the starter takes place in the middle of a lengthy cutscene. SRing is a huge pain this time around.
Really? Crap cause was wanting to SR mine too for a Modest nature though gender wise I don't care if it's male, female, genderless, klingon or whatever. Maaaaaan this is gonna be a pain then.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Everyone saying to run Scald, but remember that burn's damage was nerfed

Honestly, I can see potential for this thing. It has a nice Sp. Attack and somewhat good pool, as well as nice typing. Speed may suck but Sp. Def is nice enough to survive. I'd run either AV or Specs. If it's not high tier it will join Samurott as my Low-Tier specs water sweeper

Everyone saying to run Scald, but remember that burn's damage was nerfed

Honestly, I can see potential for this thing. It has a nice Sp. Attack and somewhat good pool, as well as nice typing. Speed may suck but Sp. Def is nice enough to survive. I'd run either AV or Specs. If it's not high tier it will join Samurott as my Low-Tier specs water sweeper
I think people are running burn for it's -attack unless that was nerfed too

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I think people are running burn for it's -attack unless that was nerfed too
That too, but who doesn't like passive damage in a bulky (In this case, special bulky) mon?
(Honestly I just prefer the improved damage of Surf for a sweeper set)

I'm into it. I may be biased by already loving Popplio as soon as I saw it but I think Primarina will have a very good niche as a team based player. I don't know if it'll make OU but I think it's still a solid pokemon with a lot to possibly offer.

Plus Aria I assume is sound based, so a surf that goes through substitues without having to use her hidden ability is nice.
*Googles "aria"*
"a long, accompanied song for a solo voice, typically one in an opera or oratorio."

Huh. So it is a sound-based move.

Sparkling Aria hits all Pokémon on the field, allies included, just FYI.
Huh, so it hits all Pokemon, like Boom Burst, but with the power of Hyper Voice. And heals all targets of burns.

So its anti-Sub, anti-scald. I'm liking this. Kinda anti-meta.

Okay, so how about this: Pair it with Mega Sceptile. Think of the benefits:
  • A Physical Mega Sceptile doubly resists Water and could benefit hugely from a Burn status cure from Sparkling Aria.
  • Lightning Rod protects Primarina from one of her weaknesses, leaving only Grass and Poison.
  • Light Screen from Primarina could save Mega Sceptile from Ice Beam.
  • Between them they've got great coverage.
Unfortunately both are weak to Poison, but of all things to be mutually weak to that ain't half bad.

Liquid Voice may offer some sizable benefit to other moves than Hyper Voice.

With that ability, Primarina gains access to a water-type Round, making this the first instance of Round with a type that isn't resisted by steel.

Perish Song becoming water-type, means you can pair this with a Pokemon's ability that grants immunity to water moves (Dry Skin, Water Absorb, & Storm Drain); the partner would be immune to the song and can apply pressure without having to switch around as much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)