Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't gone to one of these since the 10th anniversary. o-O

So, uhm, quick question. About their hack check thing.

Does it check for cloning/nickname hacks? =/ I might be SOL in that case.

Well, they don't really say, but the hack check check against "anything possible". So if it notices, for example, you have a Japanese pokemon, but with American (NOT English, American) nicknames (Romanji and Latin characters have some slight differences), tehn, yeah, you'll be DQed. As for clones, they can't check it, unless it's something obvious like a box full of Shiny Mewtwos....

Does it check for cloning/nickname hacks? =/ I might be SOL in that case.
I don't think anyone really knows for sure what the hack check picks up, and in my opinion it's better to just not hack at all. I know everyone has referenced this a billion times, but one player was disqualified for having "too many grass knot TMs". Even the tiniest thing can give reason for you to be booted.

Oh, thanks.

So the hack check is just like, someone personally looking at your game and checking for something suspicious?

I don't think anyone really knows for sure what the hack check picks up, and in my opinion it's better to just not hack at all. I know everyone has referenced this a billion times, but one player was disqualified for having "too many grass knot TMs". Even the tiniest thing can give reason for you to be booted.
Except we know that was bullshit, and the guy was just looking for some excuse to DQ him, however terrible.

So I'm gonna dress as Galactic Boss Cyrus or Lance at Dallas. How do you think I can pull it off?
Oh fuck yes.

...one last thing.

On the very far off chance I get invited to Nationals, do I need to be able to attend? Can I turn down the invite? My summer can't accommodate me even being in the country at that time.

With the sheer amount of Smogonites going to Indianapolis and the lack of Smogonites going to Atlanta, I'm starting to desire a roadtrip down there more and more... It'd be easier for me to get in, at the very least.

Ok, you all have already been told to stop talking about how to beat the hack checks. It must stop now. If anybody else posts anything about "what if my mom hacks for me and i don't know it lolololol", I will be sending direct links for the offender's posts to zerowing for the infractions to be given out.

The only way to make sure your pak is clean is to not hack. Stop talking about it.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seattle makes a good amount of sense considering it's the closest major city to Nintendo of America. It's also logical to stick to locations they've been to before for logistical reasons - especially the first stop on the tour. Familiarity keeps things running smoother.

Kind of an odd question, but you know how you need a certain number of badges to get pokemon of certain levels to obey you? Does that apply for in-game battles only or also for wireless battles? Just wondering, since I don't have heartgold yet and I want to know how much of it I'll have to play through by vgc time.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
The pokemon obey you when you use them for wireless battles. But I think in game you need 5 badges for pokemon up to lvl 50 to obey you.

The pokemon obey you when you use them for wireless battles. But I think in game you need 5 badges for pokemon up to lvl 50 to obey you.
Badges DO NOT have an effect on wireless/WiFi battles. They will ALWAYS obey in Wireless/WiFi battles.

btw - ALL the answers to the questions that are asked here that will be answered can be found here:
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/faq-regionals.php

@PBB - You should put this link in the 1st post - if people read the thread, they MIGHT stop asking these questions.

So, how do you think I could dress as this?
Intel suggests you may need a haircut and some dye, as well a deep wallet and some clothes designer with a lot of time. And if you're fat, have a round head or can't make your eyes look sinister, forget about it. Look at me, giving fashion advice...

Hello,

I do not know where I have to put this post so to move it to the right place if necessary.

I want to participate in the VGC but I don't want to pay for the travel and then lose in the first round. I would like to know how to make a good team for the VGC. I know that it is a stupid question but I really have to ask it. I would like advice more than pre-made teams.

Thank you for your help

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello,

I do not know where I have to put this post so to move it to the right place if necessary.

I want to participate in the VGC but I don't want to pay for the travel and then lose in the first round. I would like to know how to make a good team for the VGC. I know that it is a stupid question but I really have to ask it. I would like advice more than pre-made teams.

Thank you for your help
I think #1 thing you gotta do, above team-building, is be going there for the experience of the event rather than winning the top prize. Go with some friends and make a day out of it. You also aren't restricted to just the event! Take in some sights around the city.

As far as advice, watch some VGC videos from Japan on YouTube and look at some RMTs for common advice given to others as far as what you should watch out for.

I think #1 thing you gotta do, above team-building, is be going there for the experience of the event rather than winning the top prize. Go with some friends and make a day out of it. You also aren't restricted to just the event! Take in some sights around the city.

As far as advice, watch some VGC videos from Japan on YouTube and look at some RMTs for common advice given to others as far as what you should watch out for.
When you come from Montreal and that none of your friend can afford the trip, it take some fun away. It is nice to to enjoy an event when it does not cost you money. If there was some event in Canada, I could really go there just for the experience.

Firestorm

When you come from Montreal and that none of your friend can afford the trip, it take some fun away. It is nice to to enjoy an event when it does not cost you money. If there was some event in Canada, I could really go there just for the experience.
I don't think an event in Vancouver would be much cheaper for you than Newark! But yes, I understand what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)