Metagame ORAS RU: Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psyshock hits a Pokemon's physical Defense, so AV is a moot point when it comes to Psyshock. That said, I guess it will be kind of neat to have something to hit Spiritomb with that is perfectly accurate. Still incredibly niche though imo.
that's true Dazzling Gleam will have some susage with a Specs or LO set considering Fox doesn't have a great movepool atm for coverage. I think personally i'll still enjoy the Herb/Magician set with Solarbeam

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
that's true Dazzling Gleam will have some susage with a Specs or LO set considering Fox doesn't have a great movepool atm for coverage. I think personally i'll still enjoy the Herb/Magician set with Solarbeam
Power herb magician Delphox with solar beam? I'm sorry, but that's just gimmicky at best. The standard cookie cutter set that works well is calm mind 3 Attacks and maybe sub if you really don't like Alomomola. Choice Scarf / Specs certainly work well too.

Power herb magician Delphox with solar beam? I'm sorry, but that's just gimmicky at best. The standard cookie cutter set that works well is calm mind 3 Attacks and maybe sub if you really don't like Alomomola. Choice Scarf / Specs certainly work well too.
I've only ever used 2 sets: Specs and Herb/Mage. Specs is a beautiful wallbreaker and just plows through teams but recently I've used the Herb/Mage set against bulky water types like Alo, Jelly, Slowking, and Gastro. I can get a nice hit with Solarbeam and steal their LEfties (AV with Slowking at times). I also run sub on this set to dodge status' from Alo and Gastro then hit with Solarbeam. it is also nice against Rhyperior to OHKO.

It is obviously not the best or even most viable set but I've had it work with few issues

I've only ever used 2 sets: Specs and Herb/Mage. Specs is a beautiful wallbreaker and just plows through teams but recently I've used the Herb/Mage set against bulky water types like Alo, Jelly, Slowking, and Gastro. I can get a nice hit with Solarbeam and steal their LEfties (AV with Slowking at times). I also run sub on this set to dodge status' from Alo and Gastro then hit with Solarbeam. it is also nice against Rhyperior to OHKO.

It is obviously not the best or even most viable set but I've had it work with few issues
Delphox can learn Grass Knot

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you lol, grass knot is always the superior option.
Well, not always. If Delphox finds itself on a Sunny Day team (or running a Sunny Day set itself) then Solarbem is easily the better option. Though Moltres is generally a better Fire-type to abuse Sunny Day with, Delphox retains the ability to use a secondary STAB move, which can come in handy on occasion.

mallpal, I still think Spiritomb would have use in a Houndoom metagame. Spiritomb is much bulkier, lacks a Stealth Rock weakness, and has a stronger Sucker Punch / Pursuit to work with than Houndoom does. If Houndoom did drop, it would give Delphox a reason to use Dazzling Gleam to at least give Doom something to think about.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
If Houndoom did drop, it would give Delphox a reason to use Dazzling Gleam to at least give Doom something to think about.
Considering Mega Houndoom is not even 2HKOed by LO Dazzling Gleam (and regular Houndoom has only a miniscule change of getting 2HKOed), why not just use Hidden Power?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So October Stats are out, and if they hold there is going to be some incredible shake ups for RU.

| 52 | Gligar | 4.67828% | 12543 | 1.764% | 10941 | 1.890% |

This is UU 1630, and if this trend continues, RU is going to lose its best defogger, defensive pivot, and general fighting check it had.

| 60 | Kingdra | 3.07789% | 32279 | 4.540% | 25478 | 4.401% |
| 61 | Houndoom | 3.06053% | 32388 | 4.555% | 24732 | 4.272% |
| 64 | Diancie | 2.62525% | 24115 | 3.392% | 20432 | 3.530% |
| 70 | Quagsire | 2.25486% | 23241 | 3.269% | 19522 | 3.372% |

Also from UU 1630 stats and could it even be possible that RU is getting 4 drops ?_?

I don't imagine that Kingdra, Mega Houndoom, or Mega Diancie will end up staying in RU, but there is a real chance that Houndoomite goes BL2 and Diancite goes BL, but both of their base forms should be pretty balanced in the RU metagame tbh (WE GET SAVIOR DOG)(WE GET SOMETHING ELSE TOO). Quagsire seems to be pretty niche imo, but countering the likes of Doublade / Rhyperior will be pretty cool, as well as taking on anti-meta threats like SD Drapion and the like thanks to Unaware.

So on top of all of the new megas that we are getting, we are also going to have access to at least 3 pretty cool new mons, I personally am sad to see Gligar go, but it gives me more of an excuse to use Golbat, aka my baby. Golbat is probably also the premier answer to fighting types now, which is also pretty awesome for it.

Any of these mons that people are particularly looking forward to trying out? (GIMME SAVIOR DOG)

Also in just a celebratory reminder that RU is going to lose one of the 3 shit mons we have had since day one :')

| 52 | Hitmonchan | 3.37829% | 9964 | 4.739% | 7998 | 4.671% |

(please don't use this so NU gets a new toy, love llamas n_n)

Gligar leaving hurts so much oml

Call me weird, but I'm looking forward to trying out regular (after mega is banned) Physical Mix Houndoom in a semistall team. It has a really useful typing that allows it to aid out in trapping opposing Slowking, Reuniclus, Meloetta and Delphox, mons that usually give Stall issues. Granted, his bulk is not really fitting, but I've used Fletchinder to massive success on Stall so why not. I'm also looking forward to trying out Quags over Gligar/Mola as a SD Drapion and Fletchinder counter amongst others. And Diancie to say fuck Moltres! And I wanna see how Mega Audino actually will function on such a team (remember, you can still have Regenerator before Megaing)

I do actually think Stall will lose one massive tool, but gain other highly useful tools in return. Don't write us off just yet!

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gligar leaving would be a huge shake-up for RU. Gligar is arguably the best physical wall in the tier, and easily the most reliable Defog user. This would be the biggest shakeup for RU in this generation for sure since it went official. I'd really look forward to it in some ways and be saddened in others. I hate seeing opposing stall teams use Gligar, but I do find myself using it on some of my balance / bulky offense teams. As for the other possible drops:

Kingdra: This thing is nuts. Don't care to see this thing at all.
Houndoom: Its Mega is stupid, but regular Houndoom would be really nice. Talked about it a lot the last tier change, so I won't talk much about it here.
Diancie: I'd love for this thing to be RU. Great defenses, actual offensive presence, and a neat offensive typing. It's the one thing we really need to cold stop Moltres. Lack of reliable recovery sucks, but it works pretty well with Alomomola. Its STABs work pretty well since they can deter most sweepers from setting up on it, though having to use HP Rock for a Rock STAB on special sets sucks ass.
Quagsire: It wouldn't be that bad, but considering two of the best sweepers in RU, Delphox and Virizion, have Grass-type moves means Quagsire's niche as a stop to most sweepers would be called into question.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I already posted what I think of Kingdra and DOG a while ago in the np thread so I'll just repost:

ME said:
Houndoom though looks to be a really strong force in RU if it drops. Mega Houndoom will definitely be a dominant threat in RU, with an NP set that would basically eat everything alive with its power and coverage, not to mention its Speed. Very few Pokemon can reliably take on Houndoom except Rhyperior, and everything else either gets set up on or absolutely wrecked. Mega Houndoom has a lovely Speed tier as well, tying with Cinccino, meaning only Dugtrio and Jolteon outspeed it. Houndoom on its own, if Mega Houndoom gets banned, wouldn't be a bad mon at all. It could run an NP set too, and its coverage would still make it nice. It could also run a mixed trapper set with Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Crunch, and gives us a nice Dark-type especially with Zoroark gone. Houndoom would definitely impact RU.

If Kingdra drops, oh boy it will be good. It is quite a versatile offensive threat, it can run a Swift Swim set, DD, ChestoRest, Specs, or the almighty CritDra. Kingdra will be one heck of a threat, having nice bulk and being able to set up DD effectively, especially with only one weakness, and be able to sweep with Outrage+Waterfall. Specs and Swift Swim sets would be quite scary too (too bad there's no Tornadus to support Kingdra :(), and Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor would be quite the sight. Of course, the almighty CritDra exists, being able to spam Draco Meteors that always crit, it will sting. Kingdra would definitely be a solid mon in RU if it drops, I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up being broken, but since we don't have it as of now we can't really make a judgement lol.
As for Diancie, there is a chance it might stay UU because Diancite might cause enough of a surge in its usage to pull it up some, and if it does reach RU, it's definitely not going to last long because Mega Diancie is definite OU material. However, if it does reach RU, it will be a very good Pokemon, as it is basically ROCK WITH EYES with offensive presence. As we have seen with ROCK WITH EYES, Rock / Fairy is a valuable defensive typing in RU, being able to check Fletchinder, Delphox, Druddigon, Moltres, Braviary, etc. Diancie has good offensive presence in Moonblast and Diamond Storm and hits for nice damage, while like ROCK WITH EYES it can also set up Rocks. Mega Diancie will also be a monster while it lasts because Mega Diancie has superb offensive presence and Moonblast+Diamond Storm+Earth Power will wreck, and Mega Diancie will be a neat offensive Rocks setter+sweeper that despite having less bulk than normal Diancie, can still serve as an awesome Fletchinder check among other mons. It will definitely be a very good mon.

Quagsire will not by any means be amazing, but it will definitely have a very good niche in RU. EonX did bring up that it loses to Delphox and Virizion, however, Unaware Quagsire beats a lot of other set-up sweepers. It can take on all of the following: Doublade, Fletchinder, Cobalion, Drapion, Slurpuff, and Tyrantrum. It can also handle Gurdurr to some extent as well but Guts is kinda shaky. This in addition to the fact that Quag is a decent bulky Water overall and can take on physical attackers and spread burns and Toxic, while Recover gives it good longevity. Oh and it also takes on Jolteon to a decent degree, but sadly Heliolisk, Magneton, and Eelektross all carry Grass moves. It's weak and takes special attacks like a wet paper bag but it'll be a decent mon nonetheless.

Just some thoughts.

From a glance, Diancie would also be able to check and possibly counter Mega Pidgeot/Mega Altaria/Mega Lopunny/Mega Glalie, 4 of what looks like very threatening Megas.

Mega Pidgeot and Glalie can't touch Diancie and they get destroyed by Diamond Storm while Lopunny can HJK and Altaria can EQ it. However, both just die to Moonblast and can't switch in.

EonX

Battle Soul
From a glance, Diancie would also be able to check and possibly counter Mega Pidgeot/Mega Altaria/Mega Lopunny/Mega Glalie, 4 of what looks like very threatening Megas.

Mega Pidgeot and Glalie can't touch Diancie and they get destroyed by Diamond Storm while Lopunny can HJK and Altaria can EQ it. However, both just die to Moonblast and can't switch in.
Diancie takes neutral damage to Ice-type moves, so it's far from safe against Glalie and its Refrigerate-boosted attacks, Explosion in particular. Mega Altaria has the bulk to take an unboosted Moonblast from Diancie (most regular Diancie will be specially defensive to deal with Moltres) and has Pixilate-boosted attacks to hit back with (Return / Frustration has near identical damage output as EQ after the boosts)

Diancie takes neutral damage to Ice-type moves, so it's far from safe against Glalie and its Refrigerate-boosted attacks, Explosion in particular. Mega Altaria has the bulk to take an unboosted Moonblast from Diancie (most regular Diancie will be specially defensive to deal with Moltres) and has Pixilate-boosted attacks to hit back with (Return / Frustration has near identical damage output as EQ after the boosts)
Ah yeah, my bad on the Glalie thing.

252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 195-231 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, so Diancie isn't coming in on that but..

0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Mega-Altaria also isn't going to switch in to a Moonblast that strong.

(FYI we are talking about Mega Diancie, no?)

EonX

Battle Soul
Ah yeah, my bad on the Glalie thing.

252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 195-231 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, so Diancie isn't coming in on that but..

0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Mega-Altaria also isn't going to switch in to a Moonblast that strong.

(FYI we are talking about Mega Diancie, no?)
I haven't been. I'm fully expecting Mega Diancie to get booted to BL between Rock Polish and Mono-CM, thus leaving regular Diancie in RU unless Mega Diancie gets enough usage for OU (which would, by extension, make regular Diancie OU)

I haven't been. I'm fully expecting Mega Diancie to get booted to BL between Rock Polish and Mono-CM, thus leaving regular Diancie in RU unless Mega Diancie gets enough usage for OU (which would, by extension, make regular Diancie OU)
Personally I think Diancie would be great in RU as a strong defensive type but considering its Mega it'll probably be as you said in OU

Okay, Rock Polish is kinda irrelevant, but I was hinting at just because M-Rupt is going to be in the tier doesn't mean that TR would automatically become really strong.

Okay, Rock Polish is kinda irrelevant, but I was hinting at just because M-Rupt is going to be in the tier doesn't mean that TR would automatically become really strong.
That wasnt exactly the point I was trying to make. While Trick Room has some very powerful mon's such as Escavalier and Rhyperior, it still isnt exactly the best playstyle in the current metagame with all the crazy crap going around. I feel that M-Rupt will be best placed on a trick room team, as it's very powerful and has decent coverage to offer to the team. It is also a decent check to things such as Registeel, Bronzong, and any bug or grass type's running around the tier.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Camerupt has an incredible amount of bulk and can take multiple hits while forcing switches, I wouldn't really consider a Rock Polish set, unless you were running a Sticky Web team as after mega evolving Camerupt speed drops. I wish Troom got a boosting item like damp rock to make it more viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)