New UU List (July 2009)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
July is with us, and with it comes the second ever update to the UU list.

And a rather big update it is, too. This is expected, since UU is still in its infancy, and hence its metagame shifts quicker than, say, the Standard one.

Three new Pokemon enter the list, while a whopping six Pokemon exit it. Two of the three new entries are due to not being used in OU anymore, while one of the six Pokemon that exit the UU list is due to being used in OU quite often - see the 'New OU List (July 2009)' thread.

Say hello to the three new entries: Donphan, Dugtrio and Tangrowth:

(Note that Donphan and Dugtrio are UU because they are not OU anymore, while Tangrowth was always allowed in UU but is now in the UU list due to relatively high usage.)

And which are the six Pokemon who exit the UU list? Bid farewell to: Gardevoir, Muk, Ninetales, Poliwrath, Primeape and Umbreon:

(Note that Umbreon is out of the list because it is now OU, and hence banned from UU, while the other 5 are still allowed in UU, but don't make the list due to not being used enough.)

The required changes to the UU ladder will probably happen once the current UU testing is over, and not immediately.

Here is the full new UU list for the sake of completeness:

Code:
Absol
Altaria
Ambipom
Arcanine
Azumarill
Blastoise
Blaziken
Chansey
Charizard
Claydol
Clefable
Donphan
Drapion
Dugtrio
Electrode
Espeon
Feraligatr
Hariyama
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Houndoom
Kabutops
Lanturn
Ludicolo
Magmortar
Mesprit
Milotic
Miltank
Mismagius
Moltres
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Omastar
Porygon2
Regirock
Registeel
Roserade
Rotom
Sceptile
Scyther
Slowbro
Spiritomb
Steelix
Swellow
Tangrowth
Torterra
Toxicroak
Typhlosion
Uxie
Venusaur
Weezing
Yanmega

(52 Pokemon)

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dugtrio's addition to UU will most likely cause a decrease in Stall teams, since it can trap and kill Chansey & Regirock/Registeel. Pokemon like Drapion may also see a decline in usage.

I don't really know what else to say about Dugtrio being UU, I'm pretty surprised. I have a bad feeling but many people did too when Yanmega became UU & that was pretty underwhelming. Oh well.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I've always liked Donphan so it's nice to see him in a tier where he should see usage. He could function as a decent anti-stall measure as with a Choice Band and EQ/SB/SE/Rapid Spin he has the potential to at least 2HKO just about every single Pokemon in the tier while being able to Rapid Spin against the few that he can't take down. Just theorymonning though, I haven't played UU in ages.

Ice Shard's a decent option too as it does an avg of 90% to 4/0 Roserade.

EDIT: SDS said it a hundred times better in the other thread

Seven Deadly Sins said:
I'm really interested in UU Donphan, mainly because spinning sucks so hard in UU right now. It can also be an impromptu switchin to Roserade, with a Poison resistance and a strong SE Ice Shard. It can beat Spiritomb and Dusclops with strong EQ, and Mismagius can be pegged by an Assurance on the switch (provided SR is up). From what I can tell, this is a HUGE boost to balanced offense teams in UU, which can use Donphan as a general purpose check, solid spinner, and powerful attacker as well.

Awesome, can't wait to try out the two newest additions to the UU tier, especially Dugtrio. Goodbye, stall!

I'm saddened to see that Magneton still hasn't made the cut yet... Perhaps I'll make a team with it once the voting is done and spread the love for the overgrown refrigerator sticker.

Also, for the Pokemon that are dropped down to NU or boosted up from it... Are UU's ladder statistics used for that, or OU's?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
so bascially you are saying is

are banned from NU?
Actually I'm saying the reverse: that they were banned in NU but they are now allowed in NU. (Also Tangrowth was previously allowed in NU but is now banned from there.)

To MagicMaster87: The UU stats are used to make the UU tier.

oh ok i get it now, i was confused because i often think of tiers such as UU being UU + NU and OU being OU + BL + UU + NU

I'm saddened to see that Magneton still hasn't made the cut yet... Perhaps I'll make a team with it once the voting is done and spread the love for the overgrown refrigerator sticker.
The problem with Magneton is it's not that good for anything other than trapping Steels, and the only Steel/Flying pokemon it can hit with STAB+Super Effective damage is Skarmory - who is OU, and in OU Magnezone pretty much outclasses Magneton in nearly every way in much the same way Rotom-A outclasses Little Rotom.

Basically Magneton just doesn't have the defensive stats to make his amazing typing effective, just like Little Rotom.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh baby, yeah! Dugtrio's going to (hopefully) destroy stall in UU! I hate Stall soooo much..

lol, that gardevoir looks like a worse kadabra to me, whats really worrying me is that ninetales seriously has potential to own with a nasty plot or specs set..

Well Ninetales will be kept in check by Gardevoir, Munchlax and various other Fire types, but Fighting just got a huge boost with two new additions and the departure of the best physical wall. Skuntank will probably still be useful with the strongest priority in the tier, especially with the introduction of Gardevoir, but now Poliwrath is an option as a bulky Fighter to annoy him, as well as Relicanth. Rock and Dark were such great STABs in previous NU, so Poliwrath is a positive addition overall.

Worse Kadabra? Better Kadabra. Slower, but more Special Attack and some bulk. It can switch in on some Special attacks. Kadabra can't. Kadabra is faster, Gardevoir has a better movepool, better SpA and can switch in on something, unlike Kadabra.

Always knew Ninetales was getting the boot, with Houndoom outclassing it in every way, excluding Hypnosis. But then again, is Hypnosis even used at all in today's metagame? ;\

Donphan's going to be my new fave Spinner, and I'll be whoring out as much as I can while it's hanging around.

Tangrowth... Yo. I actually never noticed it being NU before. It's a pretty nice tank to have around. Sucks that NU now would have to use some other pokémon for a Sunny Day wall... *glares at Leafeon*

Primeape leaving is pretty bittersweet, but considering how Hitmonlee's like, 5x better, meh.

I'm curious to see how Dugtrio would fare in UU...

I suspect Dugtrio will be quickly nominated as a suspect (no pun intended). With Arena Trap and one of the highest base speeds in UU, all it needs is a Choice Band to become the perfect revenge killer for any non-Flying-type without the ability Levitate. Trapinch was easier to handle because of its piss-poor speed and piss-poor defences, but Dugtrio only has the latter. Registeel beware.

gardivoir in NU? i like that.

It'll fit in really good in NU. I also think that poliwrath will too.

I suspect Dugtrio will be quickly nominated as a suspect (no pun intended). With Arena Trap and one of the highest base speeds in UU, all it needs is a Choice Band to become the perfect revenge killer for any non-Flying-type without the ability Levitate. Trapinch was easier to handle because of its piss-poor speed and piss-poor defences, but Dugtrio only has the latter. Registeel beware.
I think that stall will just need to start using Porygon2 to trap and easily eliminate Dugtrio from battle as Pory2 can easily handle even CB Earthquake. Dugtrio may be troublesome, but there are ways to eliminate it. And with all those priorities it's possible to beat it, especially with his poor defenses. Yeah, Dugtrio may help Porygon2 being much more popular in UU. And really, Pory2 is underrated in UU.

Primeape leaving is pretty bittersweet, but considering how Hitmonlee's like, 5x better, meh.
I disagree. Ok, Primeape has lower attack, but his speed is good enough reason to choose it over Hitmonlee as they're walled by the same things anyway (Weezing, Slowbro, etc.). Primeape also has access to Ice Punch, which gives him any chance to beat Claydol. Hitmonlee only has Sucker Punch for it, which is quite unreliable. Also Primeape has Vital Throw, which helps him switching for example on Roserade's Sleep Powder and beat it with Ice Punch. And it's fast enough to jump on things like DDAltaria, against which Hitmonlee would have trouble. Primeape is not outclassed, it's just a bit different. Different enough to choose it over Hitmonlee.

Primeape also has access to Ice Punch, which gives him any chance to beat Claydol. Hitmonlee only has Sucker Punch for it, which is quite unreliable. Also Primeape has Vital Throw, which helps him switching for example on Roserade's Sleep Powder and beat it with Ice Punch. And it's fast enough to jump on things like DDAltaria, against which Hitmonlee would have trouble. Primeape is not outclassed, it's just a bit different. Different enough to choose it over Hitmonlee.
I was under the impression that both Hitmonlee and Primeape had Ice Punch and the rest of the Elemental Punches. I stand corrected.

It's just strange how people talk about Hitmonlee as a premier Fighting type in UU, while Primeape just seems to be sitting there, alone. :\

So now NU got 2 special sweepers and another powerful fighting type outclassed by Medicham (Primeape)

Poliwrath it's kinda broken I guess, because lack of P-hazers and Belly drum set plus it's bulkyness

I don't care about Muk as it's movepool (sadly) it's terrible

>:\...

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, all hail Queen Roserade!

Seriously, that thing's usage just EXPLODED after Heysup posted that goddamn RMT of his.

I was under the impression that both Hitmonlee and Primeape had Ice Punch and the rest of the Elemental Punches. I stand corrected.

It's just strange how people talk about Hitmonlee as a premier Fighting type in UU, while Primeape just seems to be sitting there, alone. :\
And Primeape also has access to U-Turn, which is great scouting move. And Primeape is fast enough, especially with Scarf to use it with really good effect. Really, Primeape needs some love ;)>

gardivoir in NU? i like that.

It'll fit in really good in NU. I also think that poliwrath will too.
Medicham, Gardevoir, Ninetales, Ursaring... and some more. Boy, so offensive ;). I need to create at last some NU team and play a bit. And one question - NU tier will be created ? And if yes, we just need to wait for UU suspect voting ?

I don't care about Muk as it's movepool (sadly) it's terrible
I'm using it in one of my UU teams and it's quite effective in taking special hits. And Muk can run really effectively Curse set, which may be devastating if played right. But in NU with Gardevoir, Kadabra, etc. Muk won't have easy time. But Muk changed alot, when new UU started, it was really popular. But I guess that without Shaymin it's not that usefull, however it still can handle well Roserade, which is number 1. I think he doesn't deserve NU status.

Dang, Dugtrio is practically gonna force me to get into UU again. I don't think Donphan is gonna do that well either. It's a good enough wall, but other things probably do the job etter.

Gardevoir and Kadabra are the very least of Muk's problems really (Shadow Sneak?). Insert Sandslash here.
I forgot to mention without Shadow Sneak, but you have a point ;). But still, may give some trouble. About Sandslash - I think that only more offensive versions may trouble CurseMuk. And sets without Curse - Sandslash counters all of them. Probably Quagsire may also be added, especially with Encore to counters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)