Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was thinking of an idea, and I came up with this...
Placeholder (I couldn't think of a name. Maybe Role Reversal)
Premise: Abilities and items are swapped
So at first you may be thinking, "this is stupid and barely changes anything." However, note that power herb as an ability will now infinitely execute on the first turn. Mental herb will now always prevent taunt.
So to give the basic idea, im going to give a list of some abilities/ items that will change.
Arena Trap: Traps a single pokemon. Single use
Beast Boost: Raises the pokemon's most proficient stat by one. Single use
Berserk:Boosts the pokemon sp. atk when hit by a move that cause its HP to be half or less. single use
Bulletproof: Protects the pokemon from ball and bomb moves. Single use
Clear Body: Prevents other Pokemon's moves or items from lowering its stats. Single use
This is just a starter list. It would be appreciated if any of you guys could add on to the list. I didn't do the whole thing because it would take a very long time. Anyway, onto some items that will change.
Absorb Bulb: Now acts as Storm Drain
Air Balloon: Immunity to Ground
Cell Battery: Now acts as lightning rod, except with an Atk. boost
Damp Rock/ Heat Rock/ Smooth Rock/ Icy Rock: All weather effects, regardless of whether the user has caused it, is boosted to 8 turns.
Electric seed/ Misty seed/ grassy seed/ psychic seed: Will always boost the given stat by one on the given terrain.
As with before/ adding on to the list is much appreciated!
Threats: Any pokemon that can take advantage of power herb is going to be better.
Bans: Z moves will either be one time use or banned.
There's more I'll add if you guys sound interested in this idea.
I think an easier way to phrase it would be just have all consumable items not be consumed. I wouldn't worry about Z-moves, as the item isn't actually consumed. I also wouldn't change the effects of items, as that pushes it into Pet Mod territory. Anyway, I'd ban Sitrus and Super Sitrus Berries, as they'll endlessly heal large amounts of HP when the holder is below 50% or 25% HP.

Some thoughts on Infinite Items.

Kyurem-Black @ Power Herb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage / Hone Claws / Roost

Kyurem-B finally has a usable physical Ice attack. I wouldn't ban it just yet, as it requires a Power Herb, and is thus crippled by Knock Off.

Weakness Berries seem very good, able to effectively remove a weakness permanently.

Weakness Policy also seems extremely good, maybe banworthy.

Normal Gem is just a better Silk Scarf..

Lum Berry provides effective immunity to status. This and Chesto Berry should probably be banned, as they are broken when combined with Rest.

Stat Berries increase stats every turn when the holder is at low health.

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
Some thoughts on Infinite Items.

Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-B finally has a usable physical Ice attack. I wouldn't ban it just yet, as it requires a Power Herb, and is thus crippled by Knock Off.

Weakness Berries seem very good, able to effectively remove a weakness permanently.

Weakness Policy also seems extremely good, maybe banworthy.

Normal Gem is just a better Silk Scarf..

Lum Berry provides effective immunity to status. This and Chesto Berry should probably be banned, as they are broken when combined with Rest.

Stat Berries increase stats every turn when the holder is at low health.
So banning lum and chesto sounds good, weakness policy is suspect, but I'm not certain. I like how weakness berries are now usable more, although electric types would certainly benefit. The ground removal berry is suspect. For your point on kyurem: this may actually be banworthy, considering knock off will effect teravolt. Worry seed would be necessary. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestions!
Edit: I'd like more fedback, but I have to say I'm leaning towards just infinite items. Implementing the ability changes would be hard to code ngl. Lemme know u guys' thoughts on it.

So I was thinking of an idea, and I came up with this...
Placeholder (I couldn't think of a name. Maybe Role Reversal)
Premise: Abilities and items are swapped
So at first you may be thinking, "this is stupid and barely changes anything." However, note that power herb as an ability will now infinitely execute on the first turn. Mental herb will now always prevent taunt.
So to give the basic idea, im going to give a list of some abilities/ items that will change.
Arena Trap: Traps a single pokemon. Single use
Beast Boost: Raises the pokemon's most proficient stat by one. Single use
Berserk:Boosts the pokemon sp. atk when hit by a move that cause its HP to be half or less. single use
Bulletproof: Protects the pokemon from ball and bomb moves. Single use
Clear Body: Prevents other Pokemon's moves or items from lowering its stats. Single use
This is just a starter list. It would be appreciated if any of you guys could add on to the list. I didn't do the whole thing because it would take a very long time. Anyway, onto some items that will change.
Absorb Bulb: Now acts as Storm Drain
Air Balloon: Immunity to Ground
Cell Battery: Now acts as lightning rod, except with an Atk. boost
Damp Rock/ Heat Rock/ Smooth Rock/ Icy Rock: All weather effects, regardless of whether the user has caused it, is boosted to 8 turns.
Electric seed/ Misty seed/ grassy seed/ psychic seed: Will always boost the given stat by one on the given terrain.
As with before/ adding on to the list is much appreciated!
Threats: Any pokemon that can take advantage of power herb is going to be better.
Bans: Z moves will either be one time use or banned. Sitrus, super sitrus berries lum berry, chesto berry
There's more I'll add if you guys sound interested in this idea.
This is great, but one thing to note is that there are many abilities and items that act identical. Frankly i think it would be cool if you could use an ability or item as a move in a moveslot, but that is for another day.

Items identical or very similar to abilities:
Safety Goggles - Overcoat
Focus Sash - Sturdy
Sticky Barb - Iron Barbs
Rocky Helmet - Rough Skin
Etc.

Some suggestions for change:
-Make it so Overcoat shields only from weather damage but infinite uses OR shields from weather damage, powder moves and accuracy loss from smokescreen One Use Only
-Sturdy is one use like Focus Sash
-Sticky Barb is like Mummy, when hit by physical contact the attacker gains the ability
-Rough Skin has a recharge turn

That might be pretty hard, so if you want you can just think about it

Also some questions

Do pickup and skill swap work the same? As in they target items and abilities respectively?
Toxic Orb, Poison Heal or Flame Orb, Guts seems annoying, will they be banned?
What about Flings effects?
Will White Herb be banned?
What about pokemon specific items like Stick or Light Ball?
Should Truant and Slow Start stay as abilities?

Wish you luck on this om!

More VoltTurn Mayhem mons.

Alolan Eggy and Turtonator have double stat drop STABs in Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm / Overheat.

Giga Impact being the prefered Normal move means Pulverizing Pancake might finally see some use.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
fair poi nt. What I was thinking was this:
role Reversal: consumable items are now able to be used infinitely, and abilities that can activate more than once only work once.
lemme know u guys thoughts.
Yeah, definitely quickban Sitrus and other healing berries, plus Lum and Chesto. Those are the most obviously broken ones; nothing else is crazy enough to ban without a suspect test or at least some discussion. Also, I'd like to formally submit a request to unlock all Gems and unobtainable berries (Jaboca, Rowap, Micle, and Custap; Enigma is a healing berry and should remain banned). I can see a lot of interesting strategies coming into play using those items—Jaboca and Rowap can be used in a manner akin to a less damaging Rocky Helmet that is not limited to contact, Micle can be used in a similar fashion to Compound Eyes, and Custap... on second thought, moving first in your priority bracket every turn at under 1/4 HP might be too overpowered, maybe Custap should stay where it is.

Also, I've detailed some threats that might be commonly seen in this meta.

-Kyurem-Black: Gets extremely powerful physical Ice STAB with Power Herb. Even though Knock Off is going to be everywhere in this meta, I'm still leaning towards the traditional ban Kyurem-Black receives whenever a physical Ice move is available to it.
-Victini: With White Herb, V-Create no longer has any drawbacks.
-Cloyster: Similarly to Victini, Cloyster can use White Herb to prevent the negative effects of Shell Smash.
-The tapus: They can use their respective Seed items to increase a defensive stat every time they come onto the field (unless their abilities count as one-use—I'm still not clear on exactly what constitutes "activating more than once"; is it more than once per battle or more than once while the Pokémon is on the field?).
-Slaking: As I'm pretty sure Truant activates more than once, Slaking becomes a massive threat due to only missing out on one turn.
-Dedenne: Cheek Pouch lets it heal every time its berry activates. Though its defenses are terrible, it can restore HP after being hit by any physical attack if it holds the Kee Berry (and gets +1 Defense to boot), or by a special attack if it holds the Maranga Berry (with +1 Sp. Def as well). Despite this, I don't think Dedenne deserves a ban; it's really bad and needs all the help it can get.
-Unfezant: Power Herb lets it spam Sky Attack, which has a high critical-hit chance. Combined with Super Luck, it has a 50% chance to land a critical hit.
-Shedinja: Sturdinja returns, with Wonder Guard to boot (but only once). Though it's annihilated by any passive damage, Shedinja with a Focus Sash can't be beaten by direct damage unless the Focus Sash is knocked off. This gives it a niche as a blanket check to hyper offense, which generally relies almost entirely on attacks.
-Gems: If they're unbanned, Gems will give a Life Orb boost to any move of the same type, which can be a good option on things that tend to carry type-boosting items (like Bisharp and Tapu Koko).
-Magnezone: Holding an Air Balloon, it effectively gains Levitate, giving it a positive matchup against Ground-types—things like Lando-T, Garchomp, Mamoswine and Excadrill can no longer do significant damage to it, and it traps Excadrill to boot.
-Red Card: Anything that hits the holder switches out, all the time. It's not overpowered, but it's pretty good on bulky Pokémon, and it's also hilarious.
-Eject Button: Whenever the holder is hit, it switches out, all the time. This one might be overpowered, because if the holder has Regenerator they heal 1/3 of their HP every time they're hit unless they're the only thing on the field. We'll have to test it out first.
-Weakness Policy: This speaks for itself.
-Kee Berry and Maranga Berry: Put one of these on a bulky Pokémon and watch it get bulkier and bulkier over time. Kee Berry gives +1 Defense every time the holder is hit with a physical move, which something like Chansey might actually appreciate more than Eviolite. Maranga Berry is the Kee Berry's special counterpart, essentially giving the holder an Assault Vest after they're hit once and even more boosts after that. It's a lot like Stamina, but better.
-Knock Off: You know that huge list of threats I just made? Knock Off eliminates every single one except Slaking.
-Hoopa-U: Start it off without an item, then steal your opponent's with Magician.

And just for fun, here are some things that will be a lot less viable.

-Hawlucha: Since it's nigh impossible to activate Unburden in this meta, Hawlucha loses the one thing keeping it relevant.
-Azumarill: Sitrus Berry is unavailable, so Belly Drum is a lot riskier.
-Ground-types: Air Balloon can effectively give anything Levitate, so Ground-types and Ground coverage are significantly less reliable.
-Shuca Berry: Completely outclassed by Air Balloon.
-Ring Target: Just kidding, there's no way this could be any less viable than it already is. What a useless item.

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
Yeah, definitely quickban Sitrus and other healing berries, plus Lum and Chesto. Those are the most obviously broken ones; nothing else is crazy enough to ban without a suspect test or at least some discussion. Also, I'd like to formally submit a request to unlock all Gems and unobtainable berries (Jaboca, Rowap, Micle, and Custap; Enigma is a healing berry and should remain banned). I can see a lot of interesting strategies coming into play using those items—Jaboca and Rowap can be used in a manner akin to a less damaging Rocky Helmet that is not limited to contact, Micle can be used in a similar fashion to Compound Eyes, and Custap... on second thought, moving first in your priority bracket every turn at under 1/4 HP might be too overpowered, maybe Custap should stay where it is.

Also, I've detailed some threats that might be commonly seen in this meta.

-Kyurem-Black: Gets extremely powerful physical Ice STAB with Power Herb. Even though Knock Off is going to be everywhere in this meta, I'm still leaning towards the traditional ban Kyurem-Black receives whenever a physical Ice move is available to it.
-Cloyster: Similarly to Victini, Cloyster can use White Herb to prevent the negative effects of Shell Smash.
-The tapus: They can use their respective Seed items to increase a defensive stat every time they come onto the field (unless their abilities count as one-use—I'm still not clear on exactly what constitutes "activating more than once"; is it more than once per battle or more than once while the Pokémon is on the field?).
-Slaking: As I'm pretty sure Truant activates more than once, Slaking becomes a massive threat due to only missing out on one turn.
-Dedenne: Cheek Pouch lets it heal every time its berry activates. Though its defenses are terrible, it can restore HP after being hit by any physical attack if it holds the Kee Berry (and gets +1 Defense to boot), or by a special attack if it holds the Maranga Berry (with +1 Sp. Def as well). Despite this, I don't think Dedenne deserves a ban; it's really bad and needs all the help it can get.
-Unfezant: Power Herb lets it spam Sky Attack, which has a high critical-hit chance. Combined with Super Luck, it has a 50% chance to land a critical hit.
-Shedinja: Sturdinja returns, with Wonder Guard to boot (but only once). Though it's annihilated by any passive damage, Shedinja with a Focus Sash can't be beaten by direct damage unless the Focus Sash is knocked off. This gives it a niche as a blanket check to hyper offense, which generally relies almost entirely on attacks.
-Gems: If they're unbanned, Gems will give a Life Orb boost to any move of the same type, which can be a good option on things that tend to carry type-boosting items (like Bisharp and Tapu Koko).
-Magnezone: Holding an Air Balloon, it effectively gains Levitate, giving it a positive matchup against Ground-types—things like Lando-T, Garchomp, Mamoswine and Excadrill can no longer do significant damage to it, and it traps Excadrill to boot.
-Red Card: Anything that hits the holder switches out, all the time. It's not overpowered, but it's pretty good on bulky Pokémon, and it's also hilarious.
-Eject Button: Whenever the holder is hit, it switches out, all the time. This one might be overpowered, because if the holder has Regenerator they heal 1/3 of their HP every time they're hit unless they're the only thing on the field. We'll have to test it out first.
-Kee Berry and Maranga Berry: Put one of these on a bulky Pokémon and watch it get bulkier and bulkier over time. Kee Berry gives +1 Defense every time the holder is hit with a physical move, which something like Chansey might actually appreciate more than Eviolite. Maranga Berry is the Kee Berry's special counterpart, essentially giving the holder an Assault Vest after they're hit once and even more boosts after that. It's a lot like Stamina, but better.
-Knock Off: You know that huge list of threats I just made? Knock Off eliminates every single one except Slaking.
-Hoopa-U: Start it off without an item, then steal your opponent's with Magician.

And just for fun, here are some things that will be a lot less viable.

-Hawlucha: Since it's nigh impossible to activate Unburden in this meta, Hawlucha loses the one thing keeping it relevant.
-Ground-types: Air Balloon can effectively give anything Levitate, so Ground-types and Ground coverage are significantly less reliable.
-Ring Target: Just kidding, there's no way this could be any less viable than it already is. What a useless item.
Wow. This is an incredible post. To answer about abilities: if it can pop more than once per match. So the surges are just one use, however something like Technician will be the same. Although Lucha no longer can abuse unburden, it now gets sky attack. PErsonally, the abuse of absorb bulb and other items like it will be interesting. Having access to essentially storm drain is extremely helpful for a lot of pokemon. Typhlosion would love a water immunity that gives plus 1 so it can spam eruption.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Wow. This is an incredible post. To answer about abilities: if it can pop more than once per match. So the surges are just one use, however something like Technician will be the same. Although Lucha no longer can abuse unburden, it now gets sky attack. PErsonally, the abuse of absorb bulb and other items like it will be interesting. Having access to essentially storm drain is extremely helpful for a lot of pokemon. Typhlosion would love a water immunity that gives plus 1 so it can spam eruption.
So if I’m understanding this right, we can add another threat to the list.

Regigigas - with the Slow Start status effect only applying the first time it comes in, Regigigas can switch out and then will be at full power and speed for the rest of the match. With its insane attack and really good bulk, this is probably a little too good to keep around.

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
So if I’m understanding this right, we can add another threat to the list.

Regigigas - with the Slow Start status effect only applying the first time it comes in, Regigigas can switch out and then will be at full power and speed for the rest of the match. With its insane attack and really good bulk, this is probably a little too good to keep around.
Slow start will have to complete though.

I had a few ideas for some different tiers.

A tier called Monogen. You can only use pokemon that were first useable in the same generation. For example you can use Mew and Zapdos together but you can't use Hawlucha and Tapu Koko on the same team.

A tier called DoubleItem where every pokemon could hold two items. You may have to ban some things like a mega stone + a z-crystal or a choice item + another item.

A tier called SwapMons where you use your opponents team and they use yours. There's two rounds, for the first you use their team and the second round you use yours. In the case you both tie it could either end with neither person losing points or play one final round where you use your opponents team (just because two rounds could take a while).

A tier called FifthMove. Every pokemon gets a fifth moveslot.

I had a few ideas for some different tiers.

A tier called Monogen. You can only use pokemon that were first useable in the same generation. For example you can use Mew and Zapdos together but you can't use Hawlucha and Tapu Koko on the same team.

A tier called DoubleItem where every pokemon could hold two items. You may have to ban some things like a mega stone + a z-crystal or a choice item + another item.

A tier called SwapMons where you use your opponents team and they use yours. There's two rounds, for the first you use their team and the second round you use yours. In the case you both tie it could either end with neither person losing points or play one final round where you use your opponents team (just because two rounds could take a while).

A tier called FifthMove. Every pokemon gets a fifth moveslot.
Monogen is similar to a Meta that was suggested recently.
Double Team is just Dual Wielding
Swapmons is also similar to a recent suggestion.
I'm pretty sure Fifth move exists too

Monogen is similar to a Meta that was suggested recently.
Double Team is just Dual Wielding
Swapmons is also similar to a recent suggestion.
I'm pretty sure Fifth move exists too
Honestly I'm pretty sure all those ideas are either blacklisted or already an OM.
Well it was worth a shot. Is there a simple list of metagames already added?

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
So im going to make a more revised version on the meta idea I suggested a couple of days ago, using alephgalactus 's post as reference.

Role Reversal: All consumable items can now be used infinitely, and all abilities that can pop more than once a game are limited to a single use.
Example: Power herb fly on landorus therian is now spammable, but intimidate will only work once
Bans: Sitrus berry, Super sitrus berries, lum berry, chesto berry
Unbans: Pheromosa for the simple reason that lando will not be as prevalent, and beast boost is not as good
NOTE: Z- moves and mega stones do not change. Regenerator doesn't pop, so it still works the same.
Nerfs: -Hawlucha: Since it's nigh impossible to activate Unburden in this meta, Hawlucha loses the one thing keeping it relevant.
-Moxie/ Beast Boost: Only activating once is a huge nerf.
Now for help from DrPumpkinz
Example Set:

Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
I will try and update more sets, nerfs, threats, and bans with more suggestions!
Thanks!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Actually, I would say this isn't entirely the case, as Natural Gift (assuming it works the way I think it does) + Shuca Berry gives an 80 BP physical ground move for whatever coverage needs you'd want, and since the berry is "infinite" it can be used more than once. A potential neutralization of a weakness is a bonus effect in this case, so if you're only using it to get past your 4x ground weak then yea, Air Balloon is definitely better.
There are better options for such coverage though, like the Apicot Berry (+SDef pinch berry) for what is essentially Earthquake, which may or may not be worse than a resistance berry depending on the situation, but it's still something to consider.

Well it was worth a shot. Is there a simple list of metagames already added?
Perhaps he referred to my idea (Crossover Gen):

Metagame's premise: A new metagame where players can choose any of the existing generations (RB, BW, XY and etc) with their respective mechanics; for example, the player may choose to play RS mechanics against another player using GS or XY mechanics.

Potential bans and threats: It will be an OU metagame, so the UBERS will be banned according to the generation chosen by the player, for example: Blaziken can not be chosen because the player chose BW, but his opponent may be using because he chose RS, where Blaziken is UU

Questions for the community: Is Crossgen a good name for metagame?

+ some questions:

"1. This would be an absolute nightmare to try and code, since we'd have to include the different mechanics of each generation and find some way to indicate what generation each player wants to use. It can't be done automatically by just saying "scan the person's team and use the items, Pokémon, moves, abilities and so forth to determine what generation this team is built in", for several reasons, including the fact that a Gen 7 team can theoretically be built using only Pokémon, moves, items, etc. from a single generation (any from Gen 3 onward), so we'd have to either somehow code a way to do it automatically (an enormous task) or have the player somehow select it manually, which would require some kind of feature in the teambuilder to do that (an even more enormous task)."

Well, I really do not have an answer for this because you guys who understand these things like encodings and etc.

"2. Gen 1 is so different from Gen 7 that the two could never properly interact. In fact, Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 are so wildly different from every gen after them, and from each other, that they're basically three completely separate games."

Yes, I know they are very different, and that is exactly where the metagame fun will be, as well as serve as an extra challenge for many players.

"3. Mechanics interactions are going to be hideous. How will Gens 1 through 5 handle the Fairy type? What happens when a Bug move from a gen other than 1 is used against a Gen 1 Poison-type? Or a Dark-type move from Gen 7 is used against a Gen 5 Steel-type? What about vice versa, when a Dark-type move from an older gen hits a Gen 6 or above Steel-type? What about the weather mechanics across different gens? Damage scaling? The physical-special split? What happens when you use Trick to give a Gen 2 Pokémon an item that didn't exist until Gen 5?"

I had already thought of all this, come on because it can be long:

Types: See the following scenario of two facing players: "Player A" is using a GS team with a Clafable against "Player B" who is using an XT team with a Clafable. In this scenario; the Clafable of "Player A" is of the normal type while the Clafable of "Player B" is of the fairy type.
Now answering your question about the fairy type; the most correct would be that the fairy type would have the same advantages and weaknesses from the moment it came and a Mooblast will be super effective against a Dragonite from "Player C" using an RB team.
A GS type dark type will always take super effective damage from a steel move, no matter what generation your opponent is using, because GS Player is with the weaknesses concerning your team, that is, the weaknesses would be totally related to the generation, so the opposite is also true.
More example: A Pinsir of a RB Team would receive super effective damage when hit by a Venoshock, a move that did not exist in the first generation where the insect carried super effective of poison moves, even if Venoshock did not exist at that time.

Weather mechanics: Very interesting and fun point, because a Kingdra an RS team would benefit from extra speed during the rain, and a Kingra from a GS team does not :) The same principle would apply to all Pokémon.

The physical-special split: Alakazam is a good example for several issues.
The RB Alakazam has a single status called a special with a base of 135 ok? So imagine a scenario where and this Alakazam faces a Mega-Gengar (perfect for example); this would be a battle of one player using RB mechanics against another player using SM mechanics; In this example, the Mega-Gengar would use a Shadow Ball which, for RB Alakazam would receive physical damage (because RB, ghost moves are physical), on the other hand if this Mega-Gengar attacks with a Thunderbolt, RB Alakazam would resist according to its special status of 135; obviously an RB Alakazam would withstand special attacks only than another Alakazam, but other RB pokémon may be weaker in special defense than their future versions for the same reason.
Oh, and this RB Alakazam would get stuck in the Shadow Tag because he's facing someone who chose the SM mechanic.

"What happens when you use Trick to give a Gen 2 Pokémon an item that didn't exist until Gen 5?"

Good question, ideally, if the trick is used against a Pokémon who is holding a non-existent item in the generation, the move must fail.

"4. If we're coding Gen 1 mechanics, we have to include all the garbage ones, and all the weird glitches, but how do those mesh with any other gen? Is the critical-hit chance based on Speed, but only for Gen 1 teams? What about playing against them? Does Leech Seed damage stack if your opponent is badly poisoned? If a Gen 1 Pokémon freezes a Pokémon from another gen, are they frozen forever?"

Yes, the player who chooses an RB team will take advantage of all "junk types, and all weird flaws" including eternal frozen, high critical rate and sinister wraps moves, but keep in mind, with the advantages will come the limitations of not being able to use items, not having abilities, limited movesets and etc.

"5. What about the power creep? Greninja was banned to Ubers just last generation, and now they've given it a new form that's even stronger. Hoopa-U was banned last gen but it dropped to UU at one point in Gen 7. And these are just examples from one generation ago—how is something like a team from Gen 1, where some of the best Pokémon were Tauros and Exeggutor, going to compete against a team from Gen 7, where nearly everything is better than Tauros and Exeggutor? Is there any wallbreaker from a gen before Fairy moves that can punch through something like Mega Sableye (which was also banned to Ubers last gen)? Is there anything in Gen 4 that's bulky enough to take even one hit from Mega Mawile (which was, surprise surprise, ALSO banned to Ubers last gen)? How are you going to stop setup sweepers if your team is from a gen where things like Unaware, Sucker Punch and the Focus Sash haven't been invented yet?"

Yes, I know that virtually anyone who chooses older generations will be at a disadvantage for a number of reasons, the excellent RB Tauros or GS Marowak will suffer as they face the new walls and sweepers, but I see fun in this challenge and include something else that might be successful .

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
Perhaps he referred to my idea (Crossover Gen):

Metagame's premise: A new metagame where players can choose any of the existing generations (RB, BW, XY and etc) with their respective mechanics; for example, the player may choose to play RS mechanics against another player using GS or XY mechanics.

Potential bans and threats: It will be an OU metagame, so the UBERS will be banned according to the generation chosen by the player, for example: Blaziken can not be chosen because the player chose BW, but his opponent may be using because he chose RS, where Blaziken is UU

Questions for the community: Is Crossgen a good name for metagame?

+ some questions:

"1. This would be an absolute nightmare to try and code, since we'd have to include the different mechanics of each generation and find some way to indicate what generation each player wants to use. It can't be done automatically by just saying "scan the person's team and use the items, Pokémon, moves, abilities and so forth to determine what generation this team is built in", for several reasons, including the fact that a Gen 7 team can theoretically be built using only Pokémon, moves, items, etc. from a single generation (any from Gen 3 onward), so we'd have to either somehow code a way to do it automatically (an enormous task) or have the player somehow select it manually, which would require some kind of feature in the teambuilder to do that (an even more enormous task)."

Well, I really do not have an answer for this because you guys who understand these things like encodings and etc.

"2. Gen 1 is so different from Gen 7 that the two could never properly interact. In fact, Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 are so wildly different from every gen after them, and from each other, that they're basically three completely separate games."

Yes, I know they are very different, and that is exactly where the metagame fun will be, as well as serve as an extra challenge for many players.

"3. Mechanics interactions are going to be hideous. How will Gens 1 through 5 handle the Fairy type? What happens when a Bug move from a gen other than 1 is used against a Gen 1 Poison-type? Or a Dark-type move from Gen 7 is used against a Gen 5 Steel-type? What about vice versa, when a Dark-type move from an older gen hits a Gen 6 or above Steel-type? What about the weather mechanics across different gens? Damage scaling? The physical-special split? What happens when you use Trick to give a Gen 2 Pokémon an item that didn't exist until Gen 5?"

I had already thought of all this, come on because it can be long:

Types: See the following scenario of two facing players: "Player A" is using a GS team with a Clafable against "Player B" who is using an XT team with a Clafable. In this scenario; the Clafable of "Player A" is of the normal type while the Clafable of "Player B" is of the fairy type.
Now answering your question about the fairy type; the most correct would be that the fairy type would have the same advantages and weaknesses from the moment it came and a Mooblast will be super effective against a Dragonite from "Player C" using an RB team.
A GS type dark type will always take super effective damage from a steel move, no matter what generation your opponent is using, because GS Player is with the weaknesses concerning your team, that is, the weaknesses would be totally related to the generation, so the opposite is also true.
More example: A Pinsir of a RB Team would receive super effective damage when hit by a Venoshock, a move that did not exist in the first generation where the insect carried super effective of poison moves, even if Venoshock did not exist at that time.

Weather mechanics: Very interesting and fun point, because a Kingdra an RS team would benefit from extra speed during the rain, and a Kingra from a GS team does not :) The same principle would apply to all Pokémon.

The physical-special split: Alakazam is a good example for several issues.
The RB Alakazam has a single status called a special with a base of 135 ok? So imagine a scenario where and this Alakazam faces a Mega-Gengar (perfect for example); this would be a battle of one player using RB mechanics against another player using SM mechanics; In this example, the Mega-Gengar would use a Shadow Ball which, for RB Alakazam would receive physical damage (because RB, ghost moves are physical), on the other hand if this Mega-Gengar attacks with a Thunderbolt, RB Alakazam would resist according to its special status of 135; obviously an RB Alakazam would withstand special attacks only than another Alakazam, but other RB pokémon may be weaker in special defense than their future versions for the same reason.
Oh, and this RB Alakazam would get stuck in the Shadow Tag because he's facing someone who chose the SM mechanic.

"What happens when you use Trick to give a Gen 2 Pokémon an item that didn't exist until Gen 5?"

Good question, ideally, if the trick is used against a Pokémon who is holding a non-existent item in the generation, the move must fail.

"4. If we're coding Gen 1 mechanics, we have to include all the garbage ones, and all the weird glitches, but how do those mesh with any other gen? Is the critical-hit chance based on Speed, but only for Gen 1 teams? What about playing against them? Does Leech Seed damage stack if your opponent is badly poisoned? If a Gen 1 Pokémon freezes a Pokémon from another gen, are they frozen forever?"

Yes, the player who chooses an RB team will take advantage of all "junk types, and all weird flaws" including eternal frozen, high critical rate and sinister wraps moves, but keep in mind, with the advantages will come the limitations of not being able to use items, not having abilities, limited movesets and etc.

"5. What about the power creep? Greninja was banned to Ubers just last generation, and now they've given it a new form that's even stronger. Hoopa-U was banned last gen but it dropped to UU at one point in Gen 7. And these are just examples from one generation ago—how is something like a team from Gen 1, where some of the best Pokémon were Tauros and Exeggutor, going to compete against a team from Gen 7, where nearly everything is better than Tauros and Exeggutor? Is there any wallbreaker from a gen before Fairy moves that can punch through something like Mega Sableye (which was also banned to Ubers last gen)? Is there anything in Gen 4 that's bulky enough to take even one hit from Mega Mawile (which was, surprise surprise, ALSO banned to Ubers last gen)? How are you going to stop setup sweepers if your team is from a gen where things like Unaware, Sucker Punch and the Focus Sash haven't been invented yet?"

Yes, I know that virtually anyone who chooses older generations will be at a disadvantage for a number of reasons, the excellent RB Tauros or GS Marowak will suffer as they face the new walls and sweepers, but I see fun in this challenge and include something else that might be successful .
First, can you hide some of this? Second, whut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)