Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
this meta only benefits one time use items right? for instance fairy plate wont do anything different right? although is normal gem a thing this time? cause if it is its basicly a life orb with no recoil right? or a non contact tough claws for normal moves. also sticky barb switches users right so it would deal damage to you right? adrenaline orb could maybe be useful maybe... how would flame orb work would it burn your self still? quick question is red card banned? jacoba berry like a rocky helmet but better? and Rowap berry for special? just imagine blissey coming in on a special attack with rowap berry that would get annoying really fast especially if rocks were up sounds like stalls hay day actually....

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
this meta only benefits one time use items right? for instance fairy plate wont do anything different right? although is normal gem a thing this time? cause if it is its basicly a life orb with no recoil right? or a non contact tough claws for normal moves. also sticky barb switches users right so it would deal damage to you right? adrenaline orb could maybe be useful maybe... how would flame orb work would it burn your self still? quick question is red card banned? jacoba berry like a rocky helmet but better? and Rowap berry for special? just imagine blissey coming in on a special attack with rowap berry that would get annoying really fast especially if rocks were up sounds like stalls hay day actually....
Yes one time use items only get affected. Correct. Y es, it is. BAsically. That's how barb would work. Flame orb doesn t change. Red card is a threat, but I don't see it banworthy. Yes and yes. I believe that's all your questions. Glad I could help.
Edit: I so hope this meta idea works out!

Compulsory Conversion

Metagame premise: The users type is affected by that of the opponent. This utilizes shinies. Normal pokemon add their primary type to the opponent, and replace the primary type of a dual typed pokemon. Shinies add their secondary type to the opponent, and replace the secondary type of a dual type pokemon. Shiny pokemon with a single type no not change the foes type.

Potential bans and threats: I have no current bans in mind other than the normal OU list. However, there are a few basic strategies:

Making your foe weak to your attacks: A pokemon like Hoopa-U can give the foe the psychic type, making it’s dark type attacks unresisted.

Changing types: The type copy will only activate when a pokemon comes out, meaning Conversion. Protean, Soak, etc will all screw up your opponent’s thinking.

Questions for the community:

None right now.

Recently I created the idea of OUBER metagame (UBER Pokémon in OU metagame with the condition that they are at level 90); now I will post a somewhat different metagame but that also involves UBER in OU metagame:

"The UBER Price"

Metagame premise: UBER Pokémon are allowed in the OU metagame at level 100, but for each UBER in the team, it will be necessary to have two PU or NFE Pokémon (NFE that does not belong to another tier). Two UBER Pokémon will be the maximum allowed because, by calculations, the team should consist of four PU, three PU and one NFE, two PU and two NFE, one PU and three NFE, or four NFE.

Examples of teams:

UBER / PU / PU / OU / OU / OU

UBER / NFE / NFE / OU / OU / OU

UBER / PU / NFE / OU / OU / OU

UBER / UBER / PU / PU / PU / PU

UBER / UBER / PU / PU / PU / NFE

UBER / UBER / PU / PU / NFE / NFE

UBER / UBER / PU / NFE / NFE / NFE

UBER / UBER / NFE / NFE / NFE / NFE

The OUBER metagame premise can be used here too (if you use a UBER at level 90, you will not be required to use a PU or NFE Pokémon).

Potential Bans and Threats: Mega Stone

Questions for the community: Does this metagame have the potential to become part of the mechanics of the official Smogon metagame?

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Questions for the community: Does this metagame have the potential to become part of the mechanics of the official Smogon metagame?
Haha no

Seriously, though, knowing how much top-tiers Ubers outclasses OU pokemons, most of the teams will consist of 2 Ubers and 4 NU/NFE niche pokemon (I can think of scarf ditto or stucky web smeargle). Also, I'm pretty sure smilar metas have already been submitted in the past.

Haha no

Seriously, though, knowing how much top-tiers Ubers outclasses OU pokemons, most of the teams will consist of 2 Ubers and 4 NU/NFE niche pokemon (I can think of scarf ditto or stucky web smeargle). Also, I'm pretty sure smilar metas have already been submitted in the past.
What about the Ouber metagame only?

Name: OUBER
  • Metagame premise: UBER Pokémon in OU metagame with the condition that they are at level 90.
  • Potential Bans and Threats: Nothing

dhelmise

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

• Metagame premise: UBER Pokémon in OU metagame with the condition that they are at level 90.
That’s not significant of a stat change to make them not broken, and it just sounds like a ripoff of gods and followers or godly gift.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Poor PU, getting ignored in "Uber price"

This almost certainly more than balances out most of the "borderline" (aka still broken but not as broken as the 680s) Ubers like Pheromosa, Landorus-I, and Darkrai but still leaves the 680s at a power level noticeably above virtually all OU mons. Since the weaker Ubers are barely used in the normal Uber metagame anyways, this would likely be extremely similar to current Uber anyways just with possibly a few more of the stronger niche Uber-viable mons.

That’s not significant of a stat change to make them not broken, and it just sounds like a ripoff of gods and followers or godly gift.
It will be?

Look at this post from alephgalactus:

[QUOTE = "alephgalactus, post: 7895195, member: 280194"] They should be allowed to hold items. Considering that a 10-level drop is a very significant nerf. For example, Giratina's 150/100/120/100/120/90 base stats (with standard Ubers Defog support EV spread) become equivalent to 125/88 / 103.5 / 88 / 105.5 / 79.5, which is still very bulky but far less so than before. Deoxys-Attack's base 180 attacking stats become more manageable 157 or less, and (more importantly) it can only speed-tie Tapu Koko at full investment, meaning it and Pheromosa are outsped by Ash-Greninja, Mega Beedrill, Mega Alakazam, Mega Lopunny, Mega Manectric, Scarf Heatran, Shift Gear Magearna and a host of other things that could not hope to beat them before but now destroy them handily. Just the level drop is fine. [/ QUOTE]

Super Linked

No, this is not a bad name. There’s a reason I name it like this. If Linked was taken from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Super Linked comes from Super Mystery Dungeon.

Rules
1. Doubles meta, so Doubles OU banlist

2. The first move in both your mons moveslot will be “Linked”. Means that if you choose your first moveslot, BOTH your mons do the move simultaneously on the same target (if both are single-target) and it counts only one of your mon moves. This means that your second mon can make another move BEFORE/AFTER you use Linked move.

3. The Linked move share the lowest priority AND the mon with lower Speed. For example if you link mon 1 with Bullet Punch and mon 2 with Surf, the Link will have 0 Priority. If you link Trick Room and Extremespeed, the Link will have -6 Priority.

4. Outrage LOCKS you into the link. So is Choice items.

5. Z-moves breaks the link

Banned moves (only from linking, NOT banned outside of link):
Protect and clones (Detect, King’s shield, etc.)
Two turn moves (including Hyper Beam clones)
Encore (tbh because complicated to code)

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
Adding threats to Role Reversal:
Cell Battery: An effective immunity to electric plus an attack raise makes this very good for flying types.
Absorb Bulb: Oh yeah, you can have storm drain now, too!
Adding nerfs: The tapus are now severely weaker, with only one terrain being able to go up. Same with weather setting mons.
Landorus Therian: Somehow I didn't mention this before, but now Lando struggles with ground being an ineffective STAB option, and intimidate being very bad. On the plus side, it has a reliable STAB flying option in fly now, so that's something. Overall, it's just not nearly as good as it is in OU. Expect to see a big drop off in usage.

Last edited:
Recently I created the idea of OUBER metagame (UBER Pokémon in OU metagame with the condition that they are at level 90); now I will post a somewhat different metagame but that also involves UBER in OU metagame:

"The UBER Price"

Metagame premise: UBER Pokémon are allowed in the OU metagame at level 100, but for each UBER in the team, it will be necessary to have two PU or NFE Pokémon (NFE that does not belong to another tier). Two UBER Pokémon will be the maximum allowed because, by calculations, the team should consist of four PU, three PU and one NFE, two PU and two NFE, one PU and three NFE, or four NFE.

Examples of teams:

UBER / PU / PU / OU / OU / OU

UBER / NFE / NFE / OU / OU / OU

UBER / PU / NFE / OU / OU / OU

UBER / UBER / PU / PU / PU / PU

UBER / UBER / PU / PU / PU / NFE

UBER / UBER / PU / PU / NFE / NFE

UBER / UBER / PU / NFE / NFE / NFE

UBER / UBER / NFE / NFE / NFE / NFE

The OUBER metagame premise can be used here too (if you use a UBER at level 90, you will not be required to use a PU or NFE Pokémon).

Potential Bans and Threats: Mega Stone

lmao, sounds like Chessmons. No thanks. Maybe it'll work, but nah.

Hello! I sometimes tend to check out other threads and since this one allows you to submit ideas for OMs I might as well give my own:

Deathwish
(this sounds like a good name right?)
Hello everyone and welcome to Deathwish! This does seem like a self-explanatory name but of course the rules have to be established anyway. So here it is:

• Every time a Pokémon faints, they offer a Deathwish before dying that either supports their team or disrupts the opposing team.
  • The effect varies based on the Pokemon’s typing. If the Pokémon has a dual typing then the player must choose what effect they want to activate on the field (ie. If your Gengar faints, you can now use either the Ghost type Deathwish or the Poison type Deathwish before fainting).
  • Mega Stones and Z-Moves also work differently in this OM. A Pokemon cannot Mega Evolve until they faint. When they do, they automatically Mega Evolve, their health is restored back to full, and any stat changes are removed. Z-Moves are similar as they can only be used once your Pokémon faints. This is simply your Pokémon dealing one final powerful blow before fainting. However, at the cost of using a Mega Stone or a Z-Move, you cannot use their type’s Deathwish.
  • Deathwish effects cannot be stacked. You will see why after reading what each effect does.
  • Pokémon that have the abilities Protean, Color Change, and Imposter will only have the Deathwishes of the type/types that they end up as before fainting. This same rule applies to the moves Transform and Reflect Type.

Now without further ado, I present you the effects in this box. They are all put in alphabetical order:​

Bug: When a Bug type faints, it sets up a Sticky Web on the opponent’s team and uses Infestation.
Dark: When a Dark type faints, it uses Memento and removes the item on the opposing Pokémon (this does not effect Mega Stones and Z-Moves)
Dragon: When a Dragon type faints, it forces the opposing Pokémon out of the field and the next Pokémon that comes in has -1 Attack and Special Attack and is prevented from switching out for one turn.
Electric: When an Electric type faints, it paralyzes the opposing Pokémon and your side of the field gains the Magnet Rise effect for 5 turns.
Fairy: When a Fairy type faints, it sets up a Misty Terrain and the next Pokémon that’s switched in on your team is healed up to full.
Fighting: When a Fighting type faints, it gives the next Pokémon to be switched in +1 in Attack and Speed.
Fire: When a Fire type faints, it sets up Sun and burns the opposing Pokémon.
Flying: When a Flying type faints, it removes all hazards on your side of the field and sets up a Tailwind.
Ghost: When a Ghost type faints, it places a Curse on the opposing Pokémon and prevents them from switching out for a turn.
Grass: When a Grass type Pokémon faints, it places a Leech Seed on the opposing Pokémon and prevents them from switching out for a turn.
Ground: When a Ground type faints, it sets up a layer of Spikes and intensifies Gravity for 5 turns.
Ice: When an Ice type faints, it sets up Hail and Aurora Veil.
Normal: When a Normal type faints, it gives the next Pokémon that switches in a Substitute and removes any status conditions on it.
Poison: When a Poison type faints, it sets up a layer of Toxic Spikes and poisons the opposing Pokémon.
Psychic: When a Psychic type faints, it gives the next Pokémon to be switched in +1 Special Attack and Speed.
Rock: When a Rock type faints, it sets up a Sandstorm and Stealth Rocks.
Steel: When a Steel type faints, the next Pokémon to be switched in gets +1 in Defense and Special Defense.
Water: When a Water type faints, it sets up Rain and gives the next Pokémon that switches in Aqua Ring.
If any of these effects seem broken just either PM me or mention me in this thread.

Now for the banlist:
OU Clauses
No specific Pokémon yet but if any Pokémon does appear broken in this OM just message me.
Banned Moves: Explosion, Self-Destruct, Memento, Healing Wish, Lunar Dance, Final Gambit, Curse, Mind Blown

(I’m unsure about banning both Curse and Mind Blown but I really don’t want this meta even more recoil heavy than it already looks)

What does this metagame bring to the table?
This metagame requires players to play a lot more strategical as they must choose carefully on what to sack and what they should eliminate first. You could try to pull off a sweep, but then the opponent can just pass off multiple negative effects on your Pokémon to end your sweep prematurely. There will also probably be some massive weather wars occurring with this metagame along with some hyper offensive teams but I’m confident that this could be a decently balanced metagame.
Edit: Already nerfed Fairy deathwish a little bit cause Healing Wish+Misty Terrain is busted.

Last edited:

Tuthur

haha
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello Smogon, and welcome to...

The Name Game!

So, this is an OU based metagame where pokemon can learn any move as long as the first letter of the move matches the first letter of their name!

Ex.

Magnezone @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Leaf Storm
- Seed Flare
- Substitute

Bans:
OU Bans
Belly Drum, Tail Glow, Shell Smash,

Potential Bans:
Spore: This could be extremely annoying with pokemon like Sceptile, Serperior or Even Slowbro-Mega

Shift Gear: Extremely powerful setup move that now Salamance and Scizor can learn

Thousand Arrows: Possibly the best offensive move in the game, with now Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, and Tyrantrum being able to now learn it

Is this metagame viable enough? Is one letter too powerful, and will enough non-OU pokemon be good?
This metagame already exists: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alphabet-cup.3617977/.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We were discussing this in the OM room, so why not throw it on here too.

Metagame premise: All Pokemon can be used in a Gen 1 setting. This means you can only use moves available in Gen 1. Dark / Fairy / Steel turn typeless and otherwise just uses Gen 1 mechanics. Special stat is decided by the higher of the two normally (for now).
Potential bans and threats: Things like Slaking probably need to be banned, while something like Landorus-T and Regice could be super threatening. Amnesia may need a ban too.
- Should the special decision be changed to something else?
- Should Fairy / Steel / Dark actually turn typeless? Should they actually be allowed?
- And of course, potential threats you see!

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.

Metagame premise: All Pokemon can be used in a Gen 1 setting. This means you can only use moves available in Gen 1. Dark / Fairy / Steel turn typeless and otherwise just uses Gen 1 mechanics. Special stat is decided by the higher of the two normally (for now).
Potential bans and threats: Things like Slaking probably need to be banned, while something like Landorus-T and Regice could be super threatening. Amnesia may need a ban too.
- Should Fairy / Steel / Dark actually turn typeless? Should they actually be allowed?
You know the potential threat I see? Psychic-types. If this is really a Gen 1 setting, then it has to come with all the glitchy weirdness of Gen 1, so Psychic would be immune to Ghost. Without Shadow Sneak to disrupt it, there’s not much that can stop something like Mega Alakazam—especially since things like crits are determined by Speed, and the elemental punches are special.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader

I'm actually currently in the process of coding a metagame very similar to this on my server, Nexus! The format functions like Gen 1, with only Gen 1 moves allowed, but with all the Pokémon involved. There are no abilities too so Landorus is an okay Swords Dance user at best with a 4x weakness to the scary Blizzard. I'm calling it Retro at the moment.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm actually currently in the process of coding a metagame very similar to this on my server, Nexus! The format functions like Gen 1, with only Gen 1 moves allowed, but with all the Pokémon involved. There are no abilities too so Landorus is an okay Swords Dance user at best with a 4x weakness to the scary Blizzard. I'm calling it Retro at the moment.
Yeah, my old server had it too, or something similar to it. Lando-T was actually quite good in it mostly because of how strong it is. Not OP I think but definitely a threat.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Snorlax becomes absolutely ludicrous in a hilarious turn of events, as it now has 110 special and amnesia to go alongside it. It also retains that beefy 110 attack, so it's not like you can use Blissey to easily take it out. Amnesia really might need a ban.

Blissey>Chansey of course, with an even higher Special stat, very slightly better physical defense, and slightly more HP.

Regice is yet another Pokemon who benefits from all this, with Amnesia, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt off of 200 Special. Due to the lack of Steel and Fire not resisting Ice, this is absolutely perfect coverage, and Regice only really fears Rock type moves.

Registeel is an alternative with more Defense and slightly lower Special in exchange for absolutely no weaknesses. Amnesia and Thunderbolt are really its only special options but that's still pretty damn good. Xurkitree is an alternative basically mono-electric attacker with godly Special.

Toxapex, while lacking Amnesia and being weak to Psychic, still has 50/63/152/142/35 stats along with access to Recover. Seems rather painful to take down if you lack Psychic types.

I assume if Slaking is being banned, Regigigas would be as well. Otherwise it's the strongest Hyper Beam user in the meta, with good Speed, bulk, and even very good Special if you want something for physical walls.

Move Typing
Welcome to Move Typing! Here, Pokemon can run 1-2 new moves of one type and when it does, the secondary type changes! Though you can only change to a type once per mon in a team, so with valuable types one needs to be careful about what types to use. And yes, the new typing is visible.

Banlist: OU Banlist + Kyurem-Black, And these moves can only be ran on Pokemon that get them naturally;
  • Belly Drum
  • Chatter
  • Extreme Speed
  • Geomancy
  • Lovely Kiss
  • Shell Smash
  • Shift Gear
  • Spore
  • Thousand Arrows
  • V-Create
Looks for some cool ways to abuse types. Seek ways to get amazing offensive coverage by changing your type, seek interesting defensive types to aid you in stalling threats... or you could change to a type just for a special move.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Defog
An Electric / Ice boi for some sweeping.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Shore Up
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
A cool typing for offensive stuff and defensive stuff.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn
An example of a mon who doesn't change type to be good.

Give it free moves of one type and you got a great Protean mon.

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Diamond Storm
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
A way to take advantage of natural set-up moves.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Shore Up
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
Now with STAB that actually hits steels.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
It didn't need the Fairy typing anyway

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
Stick the Steel-Typing on something and it's more defensive suddenly.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heal Order
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
A bad mon that can become great in this meta by getting recovery.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
Normal / Ghost is a cool typing to make use of.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast
Just some more type changing for recovery.

Questions:
-What happens if one of the new types is a type the mon already has?
If it's the primary type, it becomes single-typed. If the secondary type, nothing changes.

-Do I have to run a non-native move to change typing?
Yes you do.

-But what if the mon already learns all moves of that type?
No such mon exists.

-Is this a fun meta?
You tell me. I'd like to hear feedback.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
As much as I think that this sounds cool, I'm pretty sure it's too much alike to some existing OMs. The brand new move you're allowed to have already exists in Sketchmons, and takes the idea of changing to the type of the move from Camomons. Afraid you're outta luck there since such OMs that basically combine two other ones together never gets accepted, however, I would be interested if you can make it more unique.

Since I'm here, I may as well add that I'll be complying a post soon on my OM I submitted before where it will be more refined in most departments. Also, it WOULD be a OM, right? I'd rather it be that than a Pet Mod.

That it for me, later, my dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)