(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Petty and may not technically count, but the wait for Home to be allowed in SV. I wanna play with the Hisuian Mons online already, or at least stuff like Sneasler and Goodra.
It is driving me nuts. Aside from Miraidon I have every Pokemon ready to go in + all the new attacks & abilities lined up, and I can probably fish around for Miraidons with my stash of Lgendary Pokemon in Home's GTS. I want to wait to evolve all my Shiny Pokemon until their pre-evolved forms are registered. I even have an assortment of Hidden Ability pokemon I didn't have before so I can fill those slots in the Home move/ability dex too.

Also a large bizarre assortment of traded Pokemon from wonder traded Maushold & Dudunsparces just in case Home adds more achievements that I may as well take advantage of.

There's several other abilities/moves I want to dig around for fill outs but it's annoying when I know i've got the bulk of them in SV anyway! Let me into the house

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To me what's unusual here is that the wait for SV is unusually long compared to precedent. Like we only really have two mainline games beforehand as precedent, but it only took Sword and Shield and Legends Arceus a mere roughly three months after release for them to gain HOME compatibility. DLC for the former was obviously less of an issue but like...that's mere DLC lol.

SV is taking unusually long in that regard, we are already past four months after SV's release and still no sign of HOME compatibility being available in sight. I am unsure what the holdup this time around is, maybe full on adding a grand total of 105 totally new mons into the data for HOME arguably is taking them longer than with PLA and SwSh if I had to foster a guess, but this definitely is a rather long wait compared to beforehand.

I guess you could arguably say BDSP but it was well known that was a weird can of worms and it was attached at the hip to PLA which was released later and got HOME compatibility within the same time interval relative to release as SwSh so that situation was totally understandable in every way.

I am rather patient and am not fussed about it as of now since I don't really use HOME that much except to transfer between my two-three save files of PLA and SwSh on my Switch (I'm sticking to Basic Plan for now) but I definitely understand the frustration many feel with it right now having to wait this long for a rather big feature to come out for SV in terms of compatibility.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is driving me nuts. Aside from Miraidon I have every Pokemon ready to go in + all the new attacks & abilities lined up, and I can probably fish around for Miraidons with my stash of Lgendary Pokemon in Home's GTS. I want to wait to evolve all my Shiny Pokemon until their pre-evolved forms are registered. I even have an assortment of Hidden Ability pokemon I didn't have before so I can fill those slots in the Home move/ability dex too.

Also a large bizarre assortment of traded Pokemon from wonder traded Maushold & Dudunsparces just in case Home adds more achievements that I may as well take advantage of.

There's several other abilities/moves I want to dig around for fill outs but it's annoying when I know i've got the bulk of them in SV anyway! Let me into the house
Theres a move and ability dex too? Don’t tell me that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I would have thought Tough Claws before Sharpness, but I guess a narrower but stronger boost makes a bit more sense for an "item ability"
Flavour-wise, I don't think Strong Jaw's effect should be given to an item like the Razor Fang. The way I see it, Strong Jaw emphasises the crushing power of certain Pokemon's jaws, whereas the Razor Fang, being linked to Gligar and Gliscor specifically, focuses on the use of fangs to pierce the target. A flat power boost makes sense for the former while an increased flinch chance makes sense for the latter (even if it applies to more than just biting moves).
BTW it doesn't have to be a 1:1 effect. The item version would be a lower boost since it can, theoretically, be given to any Pokemon (whereas Abilities usually have some trait requirements being its a "natural" power the Pokemon has).

Strong Jaw/Sharpness give a 50% boost to biting/slicing Moves.
Razor Fang/Razor Claw gives a 20% or even 25% boost to biting/slicing Moves.

Razor Fang & Claw isn't giving the Pokemon a stronger jaw or sharpening a part of their body, but rather the fang is just making the biting move more painful and claw is adding in an extra cut or further cutting into the wound.

Also it makes more sense than their current effects. Somehow, both items affect all Moves even when that Move doesn't use the Pokemon's teeth or claws. Actually, it's a bit worse for Razor Fang as it doesn't work on Moves which already have a chance to flinch which means Razor Fang doesn't work with Bite. Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, & Hyper Fang!

Another option for a "piercing" boost could be critical damage (mirroring Sniper). Though for symmetry reasons, Razor Claw should probably keep critical rate if this change was made.
So you're suggesting instead of a Power increase it does their current effect (or a stronger version of it) but for the specific Moves?
  • Razor Claw would increase all slashing Moves Critical Hit Ratio by +2 stages.
  • Razor Fang would increase the chance a Biting Move will flinch by +20%.
Man, I’d love to see that be a thing just so more Grass types could be able to make use of Rain. Sure Grass types have synergy with Sunny day, what with Solar beam, Solar power, Chlorophyll and a buffed Synthesis being a thing. But that comes with a bigger weakness to fire for just about every grass type. Meanwhile Rain is great for grass types, removing their common fire weakness.
Also wouldn't hurt if Abilities like Chlorophyll and Solar Power changed the Pokemon's matchup with Fire Moves into Neutral. Show these plants are a bit more used to heat so aren't as hurt as bad as other Grass-types when hit with a Fire-type move (at least no more hurt than an average Pokemon which doesn't resist Fire).

NEW ANNOYANCE: TM Materials

So I've been liking some of the "minor" Tera Raid events they've been doing lately. The Blissey Raid really helped build up not only my Large & Extra Large candy supply but also gave me enough to train up a lot of Pokemon so I now actually have quite a few Raid options.

And now the Ditto Raid, which not only also give a nice amount of Candies, are giving Vitamins and Tera Shards. The Ditto Event also is giving me a lot of Ditto Goo. Huh, what TM can you make with Ditto Goo? Let me check...

NOTHING! Yup, the Pokemon which can Transform into any Pokemon, there is no use for its Material aside from selling it (which is set at a higher cost that most other Material). But still, GF, you couldn't think of ANY creative usage for Ditto Goo? Like, maybe let us have used Ditto Goo as replacement material (we'd still need at least one of each material, but any multiple of that material after the first we could swap in Ditto Goo with the idea it takes on the property of the initial material).

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE: Ditto Goo isn't the only unusable Material! Aside from Gimmighoul Coins (which makes sense as they're essentially an evolution item) there are:
  • All the Version-exclusive Pokemon's Material (Alright, I guess that makes some sense, with some version exclusives swapping their Material for another may not make sense for the TMs they're applied to).
  • Rotom Sparks & Cyclizar Scales (Wait, what? Why? Are these, and maybe the Ditto Goo being saved for something in the DLC? Like, I can get them being special Materials considering the Pokemon they're connected to, but if there is something being planned for them feels like you should maybe have an NPC or somewhere mention this)
Oh, and while Ditto Goo sells for a decent amount, not all of these Materials do. Many sell for average price as the usable Materials. I'm hoping the DLC does something with all these unused Materials because if it doesn't than why bother having programmed them in? Or not give them so alternative use like able to swap them in as replacement materials? Or instead of a material they drop another kind of item like Berries or Evo items?

ONE MORE THING! Now, being these are all Items, that means they all have Item descriptions! And hey, we've seen for things like the Ingredients and all the Curry and Sandwich combinations they sometimes go indepth with them or at least add some flavor text. And being all these Material are related to Pokemon, they could use this as a way to sneak in an unofficial Pokedex description! Describing a special trait the Material has, or a legend behind it, or other uses people have for them... I think you all know where this is going:

"Material accidentally dropped by a Pokemon. It can be used to make TMs"

THIS IS THE DESCRIPTION FOR ALL OF THEM (except for the Gimmighoul Coin)!

Yes, even for the other Materials which can't be used! It says they're used to make TMs! Infact this is what got me to looking up what Ditto Goo was used for as I didn't recall what TM needed it.

Are you telling me the Ingredients and Sandwich descriptions were given top priority to have unique descriptions but not the Materials which people would likely be getting constantly (and probably have more an interest in)?!

What, is there one GF employee who's passion is cooking so took it upon themselves to make all the food descriptions, yet for the Materials those who make the Dex descriptions couldn't find the time to churn out one for each Material. HIRE ME! Give me a day and I'll have an interesting description for ALL of the Material! Heck, I'll make VERSION EXCLUSIVE descriptions even!

*SIGH* Now it you'll excuse me I have some more Ditto to beat up... BTW I swear some people don't understand that Ditto copies their Pokemon's exact stats...

BTW it doesn't have to be a 1:1 effect. The item version would be a lower boost since it can, theoretically, be given to any Pokemon (whereas Abilities usually have some trait requirements being its a "natural" power the Pokemon has).

Strong Jaw/Sharpness give a 50% boost to biting/slicing Moves.
Razor Fang/Razor Claw gives a 20% or even 25% boost to biting/slicing Moves.

Razor Fang & Claw isn't giving the Pokemon a stronger jaw or sharpening a part of their body, but rather the fang is just making the biting move more painful and claw is adding in an extra cut or further cutting into the wound.

Also it makes more sense than their current effects. Somehow, both items affect all Moves even when that Move doesn't use the Pokemon's teeth or claws. Actually, it's a bit worse for Razor Fang as it doesn't work on Moves which already have a chance to flinch which means Razor Fang doesn't work with Bite. Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, & Hyper Fang!

So you're suggesting instead of a Power increase it does their current effect (or a stronger version of it) but for the specific Moves?
  • Razor Claw would increase all slashing Moves Critical Hit Ratio by +2 stages.
  • Razor Fang would increase the chance a Biting Move will flinch by +20%.

Also wouldn't hurt if Abilities like Chlorophyll and Solar Power changed the Pokemon's matchup with Fire Moves into Neutral. Show these plants are a bit more used to heat so aren't as hurt as bad as other Grass-types when hit with a Fire-type move (at least no more hurt than an average Pokemon which doesn't resist Fire).

NEW ANNOYANCE: TM Materials

So I've been liking some of the "minor" Tera Raid events they've been doing lately. The Blissey Raid really helped build up not only my Large & Extra Large candy supply but also gave me enough to train up a lot of Pokemon so I now actually have quite a few Raid options.

And now the Ditto Raid, which not only also give a nice amount of Candies, are giving Vitamins and Tera Shards. The Ditto Event also is giving me a lot of Ditto Goo. Huh, what TM can you make with Ditto Goo? Let me check...

NOTHING! Yup, the Pokemon which can Transform into any Pokemon, there is no use for its Material aside from selling it (which is set at a higher cost that most other Material). But still, GF, you couldn't think of ANY creative usage for Ditto Goo? Like, maybe let us have used Ditto Goo as replacement material (we'd still need at least one of each material, but any multiple of that material after the first we could swap in Ditto Goo with the idea it takes on the property of the initial material).

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE: Ditto Goo isn't the only unusable Material! Aside from Gimmighoul Coins (which makes sense as they're essentially an evolution item) there are:
  • All the Version-exclusive Pokemon's Material (Alright, I guess that makes some sense, with some version exclusives swapping their Material for another may not make sense for the TMs they're applied to).
  • Rotom Sparks & Cyclizar Scales (Wait, what? Why? Are these, and maybe the Ditto Goo being saved for something in the DLC? Like, I can get them being special Materials considering the Pokemon they're connected to, but if there is something being planned for them feels like you should maybe have an NPC or somewhere mention this)
Oh, and while Ditto Goo sells for a decent amount, not all of these Materials do. Many sell for average price as the usable Materials. I'm hoping the DLC does something with all these unused Materials because if it doesn't than why bother having programmed them in? Or not give them so alternative use like able to swap them in as replacement materials? Or instead of a material they drop another kind of item like Berries or Evo items?

ONE MORE THING! Now, being these are all Items, that means they all have Item descriptions! And hey, we've seen for things like the Ingredients and all the Curry and Sandwich combinations they sometimes go indepth with them or at least add some flavor text. And being all these Material are related to Pokemon, they could use this as a way to sneak in an unofficial Pokedex description! Describing a special trait the Material has, or a legend behind it, or other uses people have for them... I think you all know where this is going:

"Material accidentally dropped by a Pokemon. It can be used to make TMs"

THIS IS THE DESCRIPTION FOR ALL OF THEM (except for the Gimmighoul Coin)!

Yes, even for the other Materials which can't be used! It says they're used to make TMs! Infact this is what got me to looking up what Ditto Goo was used for as I didn't recall what TM needed it.

Are you telling me the Ingredients and Sandwich descriptions were given top priority to have unique descriptions but not the Materials which people would likely be getting constantly (and probably have more an interest in)?!

What, is there one GF employee who's passion is cooking so took it upon themselves to make all the food descriptions, yet for the Materials those who make the Dex descriptions couldn't find the time to churn out one for each Material. HIRE ME! Give me a day and I'll have an interesting description for ALL of the Material! Heck, I'll make VERSION EXCLUSIVE descriptions even!

*SIGH* Now it you'll excuse me I have some more Ditto to beat up... BTW I swear some people don't understand that Ditto copies their Pokemon's exact stats...
Ditto Goo is a punishment for knocking Ditto out before it transforms, if it has transformed into something else it drops that Pokémon's material instead (provided it has one). They just couldn't be bothered to code that for raids I guess.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ditto Goo is a punishment for knocking Ditto out before it transforms, if it has transformed into something else it drops that Pokémon's material instead (provided it has one). They just couldn't be bothered to code that for raids I guess.
Lets complain about it!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!

confirmed: Ash cares less about psychological help than he does about Pokemon

who does he think he is
See, here's the deal.

Ash is just genuinely that dumb and naive to a pretty comical extreme to a point where concepts like this don't immediately register in his head.

His brain is basically 90% two things: food and Pokemon.

He's got a one track mind. It's not that he doesn't care about psychological help, it's that such a concept as therapy is not something that his mostly one-track mind immediately registers.

All he thinks about is Pokemon, Pokemon, and eating. And his friends.

Especially Ash back in the Kanto segment of OS. He was the dumbass and loser that no one liked, everyone in-universe knew he was very stupid, but his undying love for Pokemon is what defined him. Misty and Brock were both smarter than him and were basically the ones to show him the ropes in the early portions of his journey.

See, here's the deal.

Ash is just genuinely that dumb and naive to a pretty comical extreme to a point where concepts like this don't immediately register in his head.

His brain is basically 90% two things: food and Pokemon.

He's got a one track mind. It's not that he doesn't care about psychological help, it's that such a concept as therapy is not something that his mostly one-track mind immediately registers.

All he thinks about is Pokemon, Pokemon, and eating. And his friends.

Especially Ash back in the Kanto segment of OS. He was the dumbass and loser that no one liked, everyone in-universe knew he was very stupid, but his undying love for Pokemon is what defined him. Misty and Brock were both smarter than him and were basically the ones to show him the ropes in the early portions of his journey.
Question then since you seem to be well-versed in the Indigo League seasons: as someone who has never sat down and fully watched them to my memory, would you consider them good or not - in the context of the time they were made, taking into account all the early installment weirdness and contradictions with the games?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Question then since you seem to be well-versed in the Indigo League seasons: as someone who has never sat down and fully watched them to my memory, would you consider them good or not - in the context of the time they were made, taking into account all the early installment weirdness and contradictions with the games?
I'd call myself more well-versed in the Pokemon anime as a whole overall but pretty much yeah (funny enough for the past few months I've been in the middle of an ongoing original series rewatch).

The Indigo League season is kind of a weird beast, and if you look past the anime tending to be its own beast that's very different from the games, especially back then, combined with the early installment weirdness it's still very much a solid anime in its own right, although you will have to take it as it is: it's a 90s anime much like say, the original Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball animes and thus is rooted in many 90s anime tropes.

Ash is, as I said, dumb and naive as hell but he's a likable protagonist in and of himself and his dynamics with his companions (Misty and Brock) and his main rival (Gary) make for a good watch and compelling interactions. He's written in such a way that despite being a rookie with a big ego he has a big heart (think a lot like your typical shonen hero) and you ultimately can't help but root for the guy.

It's filled with a lot of degeneracy from the 90s and compared to later seasons it's on the more unhinged/insane side in terms of what happens in it but there's still plenty to enjoy about it and the story it tells/adventure it shows I feel. It's definitely worth a watch though imo.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
I'm sorry, is this supposed to be a criticism or were you purposefully trying to make it sound great...?
Ah, perhaps I wasn't clear on that.

But that was more of a disclaimer than anything. My point there was that it's still nonetheless important to keep in mind that the Indigo League seasons of the anime are very much a product of their time, with the things anime writers tended to do a lot way back in that time period.

The more insane aspects of the original series of the anime are a "Your mileage may vary" thing that viewers today may still want to keep in mind especially since anime nowadays has different standards from back then.

In spite of all that though the rest of my point still stood, regardless of all that the original series is still a classic even with all of those disclaimers in mind.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Ah, perhaps I wasn't clear on that.

But that was more of a disclaimer than anything. My point there was that it's still nonetheless important to keep in mind that the Indigo League seasons of the anime are very much a product of their time, with the things anime writers tended to do a lot way back in that time period.

The more insane aspects of the original series of the anime are a "Your mileage may vary" thing that viewers today may still want to keep in mind especially since anime nowadays has different standards from back then.

In spite of all that though the rest of my point still stood, regardless of all that the original series is still a classic even with all of those disclaimers in mind.
I was kidding - "don't threaten me with a good time" and all that.

Though "degeneracy from the 90s" does sort of imply... idk, un-PC humour and slurs/terms that we no longer consider fine, which... nothing really springs to mind? Singular instances like that one episode with Jynx or the one where James puts on a fake pair of breasts aside (which iirc never made it outside Asia) the most notable thing that comes to mind is a few instances of trainers treating Pokemon a bit more harshly than they do in the modern series. But even that's... mostly relatively mild and generally called out in-world as bad.

EDIT: Actually, I remember being quite freaked out by the Jessiebelle episode when I first saw it, that one was admittedly quite unhinged.

I was kidding - "don't threaten me with a good time" and all that.

Though "degeneracy from the 90s" does sort of imply... idk, un-PC humour and slurs/terms that we no longer consider fine, which... nothing really springs to mind? Singular instances like that one episode with Jynx or the one where James puts on a fake pair of breasts aside (which iirc never made it outside Asia) the most notable thing that comes to mind is a few instances of trainers treating Pokemon a bit more harshly than they do in the modern series. But even that's... mostly relatively mild and generally called out in-world as bad.

EDIT: Actually, I remember being quite freaked out by the Jessiebelle episode when I first saw it, that one was admittedly quite unhinged.
The fake inflatable breasts episode (Beauty at the Beach, I think) did make it here as a "lost episode"
it aired one (1) time and was so heavily edited it had more commercials than normal to maintain the air slot's usual time
Honestly unsure why they even bothered, it was aired well after Kanto ended iirc.

e: Looked it up, it aired twice in the US. Once in June 2000, and one more time in August 2000. So it was kind of randomly smacked between some air dates. Guess they really wanted a Summer episode during what was otherwise a summer air break?

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Stakataka is a generic Rock/Steel type instead of anything unorthodox like Rock/Ghost. Stakataka feels like the most generic Ultra Beast; the least Ultra Beast Ultra Beast... You know what, maybe it still is a great Ultra Beast! It's unorthodox to have a seemingly regular type combination as an Ultra Beast. It's like the Ultra Beast of Ultra Beasts. Ultra Beasts are meant to be unorthodox. Stakataka stands as an odd Ultra Beasts out while the other Ultra Beasts are unorthodox in different ways.

:blobthinking::blobthinking::blobthinking:

Rock/Ghost still would've been sick.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
The fake inflatable breasts episode (Beauty at the Beach, I think) did make it here as a "lost episode"
it aired one (1) time and was so heavily edited it had more commercials than normal to maintain the air slot's usual time
Honestly unsure why they even bothered, it was aired well after Kanto ended iirc.

e: Looked it up, it aired twice in the US. Once in June 2000, and one more time in August 2000. So it was kind of randomly smacked between some air dates. Guess they really wanted a Summer episode during what was otherwise a summer air break?
I meant specifically the scenes with James' fake breasts, I'm aware the episode eventually did get aired elsewhere. There's lots of examples of anime where a full episode makes it but with cuts - Digimon has one episode where all the boys are bathing together and some naked horseplay ensues, and another where there's a fantasy sequence with one of the girl protagonists in a bikini acting provocatively. Neither episode was cut in its entirety, they were just edited for the non-Japanese release.

Stakataka is a generic Rock/Steel type instead of anything unorthodox like Rock/Ghost. Stakataka feels like the most generic Ultra Beast; the least Ultra Beast Ultra Beast... You know what, maybe it still is a great Ultra Beast! It's unorthodox to have a seemingly regular type combination as an Ultra Beast. It's like the Ultra Beast of Ultra Beasts. Ultra Beasts are meant to be unorthodox. Stakataka stands as an odd Ultra Beasts out while the other Ultra Beasts are unorthodox in different ways.

:blobthinking::blobthinking::blobthinking:

Rock/Ghost still would've been sick.
Still find it surprising there isn't a Rock/Ghost already, feels like a type combination that would not be at all hard to design a concept for and there are numerous Pokemon (Runerigus, for one) that feel like they'd suit it.

So far, all the 7-star raid posts on the SV news site, except for the first Charizard one, have followed the same title scheme of asking you to prepare to face a mighty pokemon, and then telling you that you can now face the mighty pokemon for the actual announcement on the release day.
1681686320792.png

1681686230474.png
1681686238022.png

1681686379876.png

A similar title scheme was used for holiday events like Delibird and Tandemaus, where they also ask you to Prepare for the title of the actual announcement. This makes sense because you usually prepare for special occasions.
1681686465324.png
1681686474683.png

1681686543151.png
1681686553565.png

On the other hand, the other non-special raid events have followed a more generic scheme of just Challenge X Soon/Now, which is fair because you probably aren't preparing specifically for these.
1681686491681.png
1681686498123.png

1681686570988.png
1681686578755.png

However there are a few inconsistencies I've noticed. One is the Blissey from the Decidueye rerun who you are supposed to "Prepare to Get Happy with", which doesn't fit in a particular pattern. At the least Blissey's drops were impressive to be worthy enough to deserve it, and they've even added some colourful tera sparkles on the sides of its picture that no other announcement has.
1681686620479.png
1681686627595.png

Drifblim and Mismagius's challenge announcement title lacks a "soon". Walking Wake and Iron Leaves also lack this, but it's more fitting for them as they were announced on the same day of release. Also, the Walking Wake and Iron Leaves announcement is the only image to have a specifically coloured frame for the Water and Psychic tera types on each side.
1681687147112.png
1681687128242.png

The main inconsistency is for the latest Typhlosion raid, where the prerelease title asks you to "Prepare to Face a Mighty Typhlosion", yet on the release day announcement they've used the generic "Challenge Typhlosion Now" title. Does the English SV news site team not think this Typhlosion raid should be called mighty anymore? Only time will tell if the rerun announcement next week will use the same title.
1681686924739.png
1681686932700.png

EDIT: As I posted this, the next rerun was also announced: Prepare to Get Happy with Blissey Again!, back by popular demand.
1681689803543.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)