(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

However there are a few inconsistencies I've noticed. One is the Blissey from the Decidueye rerun who you are supposed to "Prepare to Get Happy with", which doesn't fit in a particular pattern. At the least Blissey's drops were impressive to be worthy enough to deserve it, and they've even added some colourful tera sparkles on the sides of its picture that no other announcement has.
In this specific case, I think it may have to do with the fact that Blissey is basically made to be "unlosable", to the point it even actually heals the player.

Also you'd probably get happy either ways with the amount of Tera Shards it gives considering how obnoxious they are to grind otherwise.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Although only up to 21 Shards of a same type is still a pathetic drop rate for an event boss. You need to defeat at least three for just one type change.
Which is no problem as they made the Blissey easy to defeat.

Speaking of which, Blissey Raids are coming back. Which is nice, after making a few wrong choices in what Pokemon to train up for the Typlosion Raid, I need to restock a bit on Candy (and having more Shards for any needed Tera Type change).

Though admittedly, while I wouldn't mind seeing both the Blissey and Ditto Raids come back every so often as buffers, I hope they do some other ideas between them and the "Mighty" ones. Looking through the Paldea Dex, I see some creative ideas they could do (Vivillon forms, anyone?).

Which is no problem as they made the Blissey easy to defeat.

Speaking of which, Blissey Raids are coming back. Which is nice, after making a few wrong choices in what Pokemon to train up for the Typlosion Raid, I need to restock a bit on Candy (and having more Shards for any needed Tera Type change).

Though admittedly, while I wouldn't mind seeing both the Blissey and Ditto Raids come back every so often as buffers, I hope they do some other ideas between them and the "Mighty" ones. Looking through the Paldea Dex, I see some creative ideas they could do (Vivillon forms, anyone?).
The main issue I have is there's only so much the current raid system allows them to do while not upsetting players: The reward has to either be brain-dead to win like Blissey and Ditto, or has to be a guarantee if you achieve the reward (the Mightiest Mark Capture). If it's something rare that you can't control, then Sandbag players are just going to create a frustrating experience playing with others rather than keeping things to yourself.

For one example: Imagine an event with Raid Dens that have higher Shiny Odds (something Pokemon Go does compared to Wild Pokemon). You could load into a Shiny Den, and some guy brought Koraidon to that Tera Dark Gardevoir. You fail out of the raid, and the Host decides to solo it so they at least get it next time. The Raid system discourages raiding with Randos if you're going after something specific rather than just raiding around for "stuff"

The main issue I have is there's only so much the current raid system allows them to do while not upsetting players: The reward has to either be brain-dead to win like Blissey and Ditto, or has to be a guarantee if you achieve the reward (the Mightiest Mark Capture). If it's something rare that you can't control, then Sandbag players are just going to create a frustrating experience playing with others rather than keeping things to yourself.

For one example: Imagine an event with Raid Dens that have higher Shiny Odds (something Pokemon Go does compared to Wild Pokemon). You could load into a Shiny Den, and some guy brought Koraidon to that Tera Dark Gardevoir. You fail out of the raid, and the Host decides to solo it so they at least get it next time. The Raid system discourages raiding with Randos if you're going after something specific rather than just raiding around for "stuff"
They seem to be experimenting with "rare" chance rewards. The Ditto raids (where they'd get 5 perfect IVs randomly and the final one was just a random normal IV) actually had a 1% chance of getting a special Ditto, though there was no visual indicator: 0 Atk IV, a 0 Spd IV and a full 31 IV
And Blissey can sometimes have big payouts

They seem to be experimenting with "rare" chance rewards. The Ditto raids (where they'd get 5 perfect IVs randomly and the final one was just a random normal IV) actually had a 1% chance of getting a special Ditto, though there was no visual indicator: 0 Atk IV, a 0 Spd IV and a full 31 IV
And Blissey can sometimes have big payouts
The Blissey one falls under the "brain-dead to win" scenario I proposed, and Ditto was prone to bad Leaders costing a raid (why did you give that Iron Valiant Tera Fairy?!) but you wouldn't really know if you got or missed anything until you already cleared and captured it compared to something like a Shiny or a Rare Forme which you'd know only once the raid was locked in.

(This started as a reply in "Things you Like" but became so long that I had to move it to a more appropriate thread)

I am guilty of closing/leaving Raid Lobbies if a player locks in an active Sandbag (if the Pokemon is something that isn't immediately garbage I at least can play it out, like maybe Gastrodon for Annihilape with Clear Smog even if it can't CW against Defiant).

Part of this behavior though is simply because of how long a Raid can take even with a bad player and no way to skip so much of that dead air: the intro animation is like 15 seconds, the fight takes minimum 3 minutes even if people constantly drop, the Energy Eject takes a couple seconds and I've had it hang on the loading screen, and it always puts you back on the World Map with a need to renavigate the Poke Portal or Pop-up Dialogue just to try again. This is without accounting for the Raids having weird sync/stalling issues in general on certain animations or Menus.

I never see someone drop out of my lobbies so I actually haven't seen that show up.
That said it's kind of unfortunate but there's really no way to prevent that unless everyone had their own specific timer. Which I guess would be interesting but feels like it would need a full rebalancing again and they probably like the idea of everyone putting in effort equally. Maybe next gen's raids.
I feel like the simplest fix for the system is just the lengthening Downtime for the Pokemon when it faints (5, 10, 15s etc) on the player in question without a penalty to the Overall Timer, unless the Party wipes all at once. That cooldown already punishes the player since they can't participate while their Pokemon is out, and the rest of the team is already handicapped by constantly being down a head, they don't need a timer chunk eaten on top of that. This would still function for solos because your allies very rarely do the bulk of the damage without Tera anyway, so any time your Mon is not contributing is a lot more costly.

Pokemon Go raids, which the series is clearly trying to adapt into the Mainline with the dens, works similarly: Players who don't do much damage might chew through more of their healing items as more of their mons get knocked out, but they don't make the raid actively harder for the rest of the team just by being there and getting knocked out, which is to encourage carrying people and helping them learn or get up to speed on the Raid Bosses, especially since Go Lobbies are much bigger (20 vs 4 max) to favor large groups overwhelming by sheer number (some bosses being doable by 2-3 players if well-optimized).

I have had raid scenarios where my Mon got low on Health, so the best thing I could do for the rest of the battle was to actively input nothing until the team won, because I'd simply faint, eat everyone's time, and then have to set up again to contribute anyway. A scenario in which it is optimal for the team (not just for you) for you to literally stop playing the game feels like a massive hole in the design.

Why do I always see people use the BW Ttar sprite, it's derpy and uggo and the DPP sprite is so much better.

:dp/tyranitar: >>> :bw/tyranitar:
It's based off of Ttar's HGSS sprite...
Spr_4h_248.png

and I'm with you that they should have used the DPPt sprites, but I'm more bothered by Charizard and Gyarados having amazing HGSS sprites...
Spr_4h_006.png
Spr_4h_130_m.png

but end up using their Platinum sprites that I don't like.
Spr_4p_130_m.png
Spr_5b_130_m.png
Spr_4d_006.png
Spr_5b_006.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gyarados is especially frustrating for me. I imagine they keep it floating to remind kids that it's a Flying-type Pokemon, but it looks so much better in that slightly coiled pose and imo giving it more verticality would make it look a bit less silly when attacking in the 3D era (although either way at least some of its moves will look a little goofy)
I think they could do a best of both, like did what they did for the FRLG sprite: have it curled but also clear its floating:

Gyarados is especially frustrating for me. I imagine they keep it floating to remind kids that it's a Flying-type Pokemon, but it looks so much better in that slightly coiled pose and imo giving it more verticality would make it look a bit less silly when attacking in the 3D era (although either way at least some of its moves will look a little goofy)
Thing is, Gyarados can't actually do the pose its in the HGSS sprite.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
View attachment 509049
whoever put this trainer in the game I just wanna talk (BW2 Celestial Tower)
The one you want to talk with is the one who re-organized Clefairy's level-up Moves in BW2. FUN FACT: Had this been the first BW, it's Moveset would have been Bestow, Cosmic Power, Lucky Chant, & Metronome. For some reason, and only discussing the changes which affect this Clefairy, in BW2:
  • They swapped the place of Minimize and Bestow (19 & 25).
  • Pushed Cosmic Power to 34 and replaced 28 with Stored Power which was originally 43 (43 was then made Moonlight which was 40, 40 was filled in by Body Slam which was a new Move to Clefairy).
  • Pushed Lucky Chant to 37 and replaced 31 with Metronome which was 34 (37 was originally Gravity which was pushed to 49; 49 was Healing Wish which was pushed to 55; 55 was Meteor Mashed which was set back to 52; AND FINALLY 52 was After You which was pushed to a new level-up slot 58).

If you think this one is annoying, you need to check some of the ninjas in LGPE poison gym :tymp:
Toxic/Protect/Minimize/Moonblast Muk. Yeah, that's nasty.

My absolute favourite in terms of "troll movesets" would have to be the Rainbow Rocket Grunts, bringing you such marvels as Tentacruel that only knows Scald, a Special Kantonian Raticate, another Muk that knows Toxic/Minimize/Mud-Slap, yet another Muk that only knows Explosion, and multiple Pokemon that only know Spite.

The main inconsistency is for the latest Typhlosion raid, where the prerelease title asks you to "Prepare to Face a Mighty Typhlosion", yet on the release day announcement they've used the generic "Challenge Typhlosion Now" title. Does the English SV news site team not think this Typhlosion raid should be called mighty anymore? Only time will tell if the rerun announcement next week will use the same title.
1682037938012.png

The Typhlosion rerun is here and with the correct title, though the old one is still the same, along with a "Prepare" announcement for the Walking Wake and Iron Leaves rerun.

I think they could do a best of both, like did what they did for the FRLG sprite: have it curled but also clear its floating:
The sprites from FRLG have aged so well as a group. Even now some of them remain the best in the series IMO. You get such a sense of personality from them that was very much so lost with the transition to the DS games. Not to mention that RSE outright botched many of the sprites for #1 - 251.

Also Walking Wake is another recent example of them doing "dinosaur = Dragon". Early gens they were good at avoiding that trope, but in recent gens they've been doing it more often. Not helping is that Ancient Paradox Pokemon already gave us two dinos, Koraidon and Roaring Moon, and both are Dragon-types (in RMoon's case they took away Salamence's Flying-type and replaced it with Dark... even though I think it would have made more sense if it was the Dragon-type that was replaced with something else).

As for what other Type they could have made WWake, I'm thinking maybe Poison as it looks like something that came out of a swamp/bog (don't know why, maybe the purple mane? Makes it look scraggly).

Iron Leaves I think could have gotten away with Grass/Steel. They were good at not giving Steel to every Future Paradox, only just one, so I don't think it would hurt giving Steel to another. And a robot version of Virizion would have been a nice candidate to point out the contrast between it and it's normal counterpart.
Walking Wake and Koraidon look so much alike to the point I might believe they were counterparts if I didn't know what Suicune was. On one hand design consistency is great. OTOH all three "special" mons of the group being Dragon is yet another example of a trope which has, IMO, long outstayed its welcome at least IMO. I mean, seriously, tack this onto the fact that we have not gotten a non-dragon psuedo (Metagross) or box trio master tertiary legend (literally Ho-oh/Lugia and Lugia is still very draconic) in over 20 years.

Re: your second point I feel exactly the same word-for-word but with Electric. I don't mind Grass/Psychic but it does feel like quite a safe typing despite actually being quite rare (Exeggutor, Celebi, and then Calyrex many gens later.) Electric/Fighting might have also been an option keeping it in line with the actual Swords while giving a nod to the whole cybernetic gimmick. Of course we got a couple of those this generation already in Pawmot and Hands.

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The sprites from FRLG have aged so well as a group. Even now some of them remain the best in the series IMO.

Walking Wake and Koraidon look so much alike to the point I might believe they were counterparts if I didn't know what Suicune was. On one hand design consistency is great. OTOH all three "special" mons of the group being Dragon is yet another example of a trope which has, IMO, long outstayed its welcome at least IMO. I mean, seriously, tack this onto the fact that we have not gotten a non-dragon psuedo (Metagross) or box trio master (literally Ho-oh/Lugia and Lugia is still very draconic) in over 20 years.

Re: your second point I feel exactly the same word-for-word but with Electric. I don't mind Grass/Psychic but it does feel like quite a safe typing despite actually being quite rare (Exeggutor, Celebi, and then Calyrex many gens later.) Electric/Fighting might have also been an option keeping it in line with the actual Swords while giving a nod to the whole cybernetic gimmick. Of course we got a couple of those this generation already in Pawmot and Hands.
I mean, technically Koraidon/Miraidon don’t have a master (unless its Cyclizar) so this would be the game to do it! I was a little disappointed with Ultra Necrozma being dragon too but hey that design and battle theme made up for it for me. Doesn’t look like it will make another appearance in-game though, definitely not this gen (unless it has some unique tera raid thing at some point.)

If Koraidon/Miraidon have a master its likely Terapagos, but even then it's kinda like...by sheer technicality, in the sense its the "master" of all the paradox pokemon and also all raid pokemon and so on and so forth.

Zacian & Zamazenta don't have a "master" either, Eternatus is the "third wheel" but is entirely its own unrelated thing and if anything gets trumped by them. The fact they have any interaction at all is mostly coincidental; at least with the light trio there's a slight implication that they're related in some unexplored fashion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)