(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

And of course, after filling almost the entire new generation with horribly slow Pokemon, they give you the Trick Room TM in....the post-game. Bonus points for it being in a random location that you may not even think to revisit, given by a trainer that has nothing to do with Psychic-types, and without a single Trick Room user in her team.

ORAS handed it to you mid-game by the Trick Master. I mean, come on...

And of course, after filling almost the entire new generation with horribly slow Pokemon, they give you the Trick Room TM in....the post-game. Bonus points for it being in a random location that you may not even think to revisit, given by a trainer that has nothing to do with Psychic-types, and without a single Trick Room user in her team.

ORAS handed it to you mid-game by the Trick Master. I mean, come on...
Well, at least kahili says she uses trick room as a training method for her "fast" birds

I figure knowing this thread someone mentioned it, but I wanna air a grievance as well.

The Apricorn balls. This and the change to Poke ball inheritance seems like an acknowledgement by Gamefreak about the aesthetic value of that touch to players. Bringing the Apricorn balls back to make most breeding combos legal is a nice touch.

So why the hell does there only seem to be exactly one of each? If you're trying to catch something rare or with a low catch rate like, say, Mimikyu, you essentially get to throw ONE ball at it and then have to SR if it fails, not to mention you basically get one per cartridge even then, and god forbid it's an intentionally hard catch like my (initial) plan to try for Level Ball Tapu Koko. And passing a Male's Pokeball down is still limited to same species, so unlike Egg Moves you can't use breeding chains to extend the ball. The single Ball in the game feels more like a slap in the face than granting any kind of convenience, and it's not even like most of the balls are particularly absurd for capture purposes. These things are rarer than the Master ball, and item whose explicit purpose is to be one of a kind. A specialized shop, shard trading, bringing back Kurt, Pokepelago loot, hell even BP prizes, why is there no way to obtain quantities of these things if you bother to bring them back?

If they were going to insist on using just the one Poke ball, why not make them another breed pass item? Have a mon hold the ball and (without consuming it) the offspring will have that as their Poke ball? That makes it reasonable to get multiple Pokemon using the Poke ball type even if there's only one in the game, at least as far as breedables go.

This is the first time I'll say I'd unabashedly cheat for items if I could, because I'm more tolerant of throwing 300 Fast Balls once than throwing 1 Fast Ball three hundred times. Gen 7's got so much that looks nice for the main story, but the further I get and the more I look at it, the more visible either steps backwards or just plain instances of incompetent design seem to spring up.

Going off of my Festival Plaza rant a few pages back, I hope Gamefreak understands how shit Global Missions are, simply due to the way progression is tracked. The latest mission is probably going to fail with less than 50% of the goal reached, after the disaster of the first was barely like 20% of the goal. I think a lot of people don't know that or forget that you need to talk to the receptionist both to register AND record your progress. The competition needs to be automatic with no opt-in with progress recorded automatically through Game Sync. As soon as you introduce meaningless and inane bullshit in a video game that requires reading instructions, the chances of success are a lot lower. It doesn't help that this particular NPC is shoved into the castle with other pointless clutter NPCs, whose functions could be condensed instead of having 5 of the same model NPC doing what can be consolidated in 3 different looking ones to clearly distinguish them.

God, I just can't get over how horribly implemented every single function in the Festival Plaza is.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
This is pretty minor, but why do we have to pick the beans one by one in Poke Pelago?
Can there not be a more efficient way of picking up the beans?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Going off of my Festival Plaza rant a few pages back, I hope Gamefreak understands how shit Global Missions are, simply due to the way progression is tracked. The latest mission is probably going to fail with less than 50% of the goal reached, after the disaster of the first was barely like 20% of the goal. I think a lot of people don't know that or forget that you need to talk to the receptionist both to register AND record your progress. The competition needs to be automatic with no opt-in with progress recorded automatically through Game Sync. As soon as you introduce meaningless and inane bullshit in a video game that requires reading instructions, the chances of success are a lot lower. It doesn't help that this particular NPC is shoved into the castle with other pointless clutter NPCs, whose functions could be condensed instead of having 5 of the same model NPC doing what can be consolidated in 3 different looking ones to clearly distinguish them.

God, I just can't get over how horribly implemented every single function in the Festival Plaza is.
I think another problem with Global Missions is that players may feel easily discouraged after seeing the huge goal amount and feel their contributions aren't doing anything. "Well, of course it has to be huge, it's going to be tallying people from around the world!". True, but that doesn't mean it needs to be the only goal. In another website I frequent they have similar community events and in these events they both have the "community goal" but also an "individual goal". The "individual goal" is a number the participant can get to on their own. When a participant reaches their "individual goal", not only do they contribute the points they gained to get to it, but for reaching the goal they get a significant amount of bonus points added to the "community goal". Not only does having an "individual goal" give the participant a goal they they focus on getting to without thinking about the "community goal", but that additional bonus gives them a good reason to try and reach it so they can feel they did the best they could to participate even if they don't do anything after getting the "individual goal".

So say for this recent Island Scan challenge is to get 1 million Pokemon. That's the "community goal", but an individual goal's could be between 10 or 12 and upon reaching that goal they get a bonus 100 points. I feel that would tip the scale in the participant's favor, still requiring them to focus on the challenge but lessening the burden of having not contributed much, at least in their eyes, to the "community goal".

This is pretty minor, but why do we have to pick the beans one by one in Poke Pelago?
*Shrugs* I find it a bit relaxing. My problem is more that once I'm done collecting I got to tap on the bean stalk again to get more. Why doesn't it just drop another bean as soon as I collect one so I can keep dragging my stylus around until there's no more it can offer?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Drag the stylus around the screen instead of tapping the beans. They will be collected when the stylus moves over them, but you won't hit any Pokémon, the bean crate, the stalk or anything else.

I'm not sure if I missed something, but I often have trouble sliding the bean selection in pokemon refresh. As far as I'm aware, you have to tap and hold the super small area inbetween the beans and slide it too the side. Why you can't just use the dpad to move to the left or right is beyond me.

Actually, I didn't even know that you could slide to select different beans at all until I was at Ula'Ula. This is probably my own fault though, because I'm pretty sure the litle help button explains it to you.

I'm not sure if I missed something, but I often have trouble sliding the bean selection in pokemon refresh. As far as I'm aware, you have to tap and hold the super small area inbetween the beans and slide it too the side. Why you can't just use the dpad to move to the left or right is beyond me.

Actually, I didn't even know that you could slide to select different beans at all until I was at Ula'Ula. This is probably my own fault though, because I'm pretty sure the litle help button explains it to you.
No, that was a trouble with Poke Puffs in gen 6 as well. I find that turning the 3DS to the side and then sliding down somehow makes it so much easier to slide the bean select menu.

Actually, all the gen 7 sprites look uglier. I mean it. Muk has Ebola, Exeggutor got growth spurt, Persian ate too much... I could go on.
Exeggutor is amazing in how it looks. It's absurdity is why I love it, most of the time you don't even see its full model. Muk is not just a pile of sludge, but a rainbow pile of sludge, again, the absurdity of it is why I love it. Persian is...ok I got nothing.

I think most Alola forms make the base Pokemon look better (Ninetails, Sandshrew/slash) or make them look completely absurd to the level of hilarious (Muk, Exeggutor especially). I think the designs of most are pulled off quite well. Not to say the base forms are bad by any means, but most Alola forms are pretty good I think.

That doesn't excuse Persian. I know what it's based on and all that, but still, keep that thing away from me.

:mad:
Exeggutor is amazing in how it looks. It's absurdity is why I love it, most of the time you don't even see its full model. Muk is not just a pile of sludge, but a rainbow pile of sludge, again, the absurdity of it is why I love it. Persian is...ok I got nothing.

I think most Alola forms make the base Pokemon look better (Ninetails, Sandshrew/slash) or make them look completely absurd to the level of hilarious (Muk, Exeggutor especially). I think the designs of most are pulled off quite well. Not to say the base forms are bad by any means, but most Alola forms are pretty good I think.

That doesn't excuse Persian. I know what it's based on and all that, but still, keep that thing away from me.
That's true. But what I don't get is that Alolan Exeggutor is a dragon type, but the normal Exeggutor is based off a dragonfruit tree... Alolan Exeggutor becomes a coconut tree, and if they swapped, it would make more sense.

I not saying that it would make A LOT MORE sense, but it still would be better

:mad:
That's true. But what I don't get is that Alolan Exeggutor is a dragon type, but the normal Exeggutor is based off a dragonfruit tree... Alolan Exeggutor becomes a coconut tree, and if they swapped, it would make more sense.

I not saying that it would make A LOT MORE sense, but it still would be better
Bulbapedia says Exeggutor-A's type may be based on Dracaena.
Dracaena (/drəˈsiːnə/,[2] derived from the romanized form of the Ancient Greekδράκαινα – drakaina, "female dragon", is a genus of about 120 species of trees and succulentshrubs.

Honestly, the more I find out about it, the more I love Alolan Persian. Helps that my favourite Kahuna (and one of my favourite Pokémon characters period) has one :p

Honestly I hated Incineroar, A-Persian, Primarina, and A-Muk when their 2-D art was revealed. Incineroar was another bipedal (probably fighting) fire starter, Persian just looked like an awkward and lazy design, Primarina had... Medusa hair (!?), and Muk went from a pile of sludge to a striped pile of sludge. All of them except Primarina have grown on me after seeing them in 3-D. So much so to the point where I used Persian and Muk(temporarily) on my in game team. Still picked Rowlet though.

You know, I totally get why GF doesn't do this, but I really wish we could just see the exact numbers for a Pokemon's EVs in-game. Since the majority of VGC spreads are very precise and tailor-made to fit the team, making a mistake in training can sometimes be a disaster. The numbers don't even need to be shown on the stat screen - there could be an NPC that says something along the lines of "I'm getting these numbers... <lists the lead Pokemon's EVs in order of HP/Atk/Def/SAtk/SDef/Spe>. What could they mean?"

That way, the immersion is somewhat preserved for casual players who probably wouldn't know (or care) what the numbers mean, while giving competitive players a way to easily check EVs.

I'm not a fan of how stat screen is now laid out. I liked it as a column, and the hexagon thing screws with me because I can't quickly scan to check specific stats.
Eh, they were presented like that on the Super Training graph, so it's not that hard to get used to it. Still a bit annoying, though.

Honestly I hated Incineroar, A-Persian, Primarina, and A-Muk when their 2-D art was revealed. Incineroar was another bipedal (probably fighting) fire starter, Persian just looked like an awkward and lazy design, Primarina had... Medusa hair (!?), and Muk went from a pile of sludge to a striped pile of sludge. All of them except Primarina have grown on me after seeing them in 3-D. So much so to the point where I used Persian and Muk(temporarily) on my in game team. Still picked Rowlet though.
Uh... No. Incineroar is a dark, fire type... Choose Popplio. If it evolves into it's final form, it's part fairy and if you play Moon, which has a lot of dark types. That helps, because the final starters are supposed to x4 weakness.
Rowlet's form is Grass Ghost, which gets countered by Litten's Form with a x4 weakness.
Litten's form is Fire Dark, which gets countered by Popplio's form with a x4 weakness.
You would think same goes for Popplio...
BUT NO!
A X2 WEAKNESS!!!

Therefore, Popplio is the best.

Uh... No. Incineroar is a dark, fire type... Choose Popplio. If it evolves into it's final form, it's part fairy and if you play Moon, which has a lot of dark types. That helps, because the final starters are supposed to x4 weakness.
Rowlet's form is Grass Ghost, which gets countered by Litten's Form with a x4 weakness.
Litten's form is Fire Dark, which gets countered by Popplio's form with a x4 weakness.
You would think same goes for Popplio...
BUT NO!
A X2 WEAKNESS!!!

Therefore, Popplio is the best.
Well being part fire negates the fairy weakness so not really. Popillio is only really better than the other starts due to early access Scald.

You know, I totally get why GF doesn't do this, but I really wish we could just see the exact numbers for a Pokemon's EVs in-game. Since the majority of VGC spreads are very precise and tailor-made to fit the team, making a mistake in training can sometimes be a disaster. The numbers don't even need to be shown on the stat screen - there could be an NPC that says something along the lines of "I'm getting these numbers... <lists the lead Pokemon's EVs in order of HP/Atk/Def/SAtk/SDef/Spe>. What could they mean?"

That way, the immersion is somewhat preserved for casual players who probably wouldn't know (or care) what the numbers mean, while giving competitive players a way to easily check EVs.
Perhaps they could let us reset EVs there and then as well? That'd be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 16)