(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I find trying to make Pokemon at the Pokepelago stay more annoying then the linear storyline, seems more luck then choice.
It is luck. There is no way to influence wild Pokemon to stay at Poke Pelago and join you, only encourage them to visit more frequently.
Bw2 roadblocks are bad because it's not you affecting the world. Every place you're blocked from has an arbitrary reason, dancers are worst but by no means the only dumb roadblock. It's not a coincidence that we didn't have bad roadblocks in early games because those were HMs. That's how they kept you from movoing on, and because progression was tied to gyms it felt like a natural way of opening up areas. Since BW they've slowly been phazing HMs out in favor of "my stoutland is arbitrarily standing here", and that's why this is becoming a problem.
Then IF Poke Rides are a thing in the gen 8 games, (knowing Game Freak it seems unlikely and we'll be back to HMs) make those work like how HMs in the older games did. Some Tauros rocks here, a bit of Mudsdale terrain there, and only give the player access to the rides that can clear the obstacle once they should be ready to handle what lies beyond it. (clearing a trial, beating a gym, etc.)

But no bad roadblocks in the early games, you say? "Hey! Have you checked out the Pewter Gym? I'll show you the way!" "I can't let you go through here. I sure am thirsty, though..." "Hey kid! How about you buy a Rage Candy Bar? Mahogany Town's local specialty! Not letting you past even if you do, though!" "The Slowpoke Well is dangerous, so I'm standing watch. Aren't I a good Samaritan?" "Hey, the Wailmer are doing really important training here in the bay." (even if it's a Team Magma grunt) THE LINE OF TEAM MAGMA/AQUA GRUNTS BEFORE THE TRICK HOUSE.

Point is, bad roadblocks have been around since the beginning. Gen 7's roadblocks are more annoying because they don't just push the character back a step or so, but typically have to make the screen fade to black and then come back to your character being a step or so away from the obstacle.

Then IF Poke Rides are a thing in the gen 8 games, (knowing Game Freak it seems unlikely and we'll be back to HMs) make those work like how HMs in the older games did. Some Tauros rocks here, a bit of Mudsdale terrain there, and only give the player access to the rides that can clear the obstacle once they should be ready to handle what lies beyond it. (clearing a trial, beating a gym, etc.)
THAT'S why I felt annoyed when we got Mudsdale! I've been trying to articulate my thoughts on why I didn't like getting it and you've just covered it.

To me, Mudsdale felt like the most arbitrary thing possible. It just made you go over terrain slower, it didn't offer any new fun gameplay mechanic, and all in all it was rather pointless.

At which point you could say the same thing about a lot of HMs. Rock Smash and Whirlpool don't exactly offer much either, do they? And as annoying as they are themselves, I wanted to work out why I felt annoyed about Mudsdale more than them.

And that's where this post comes in. Prior to getting Mudsdale, you didn't come across anything in the game you needed it for.

Think about it. In Platinum, when you got Surf - and this is one of my favourite things in any repeat playthrough of it - suddenly, so many places in the prior game open up. The bottom floor of Oreburgh gate, the many patches of water along each grassy route, the large expansive routes below Sandgem and to an extent next to Pastoria; and indeed, opened up a previous roadblock in the game - Canalave city. When you get the Surf HM, you don't just use it on a route immediately after it and then maybe a couple times later in the game. Well, you could choose to do that, but at the same time you could go back and do so much, get so many items, explore new areas and battle more trainers and find new Pokémon. Getting the Surf HM in Sinnoh opened up so much.

Mudsdale? ... you use it on the route you get it, and a couple times after. There's nothing before you get it on the previous islands you can use it for. There's nothing where you think "Oh yeah, on Akala Island there was a rocky road I couldn't get past; I can use Mudsdale now to finally see what was there!", instead, you just get to boringly ride a horse along some rocks which wouldn't have changed your gameplay in any way had they been taken out. Whoopee. Hell, the ride Pokémon always being on you - in most cases obviously a much-needed improvement over HMs - actually works against Mudsdale in this case. At least in previous games if you needed Rock Smash much later after you got it, you were forced to get a Pokémon with Rock Smash, sacrificing either a moveslot or a teamslot and hence meaning you had to play a little differently or think a little. It was terrible and arguably bad game design, but at least it done something. At least it made me play differently than if the Rock Smash rock obstacle wasn't there. If Mudsdale was removed from the game, nothing would be different.

Lapras gave you a reason to go backtrack - there were a lot of places you could now surf on you couldn't previously. Machamp gave you a reason to backtrack - there were some places (albeit few in number) that needed you to push a block forward to access. The same goes for Sharpedo, the same goes for Tauros... every other Ride Pokémon had a reason to be in the game and was implemented in a way that gives you access to a new way to play and a reason to backtrack (aside from, of course, Charizard and Stoutland who do something very different for your gameplay). Mudsdale doesn't do any of this or anything else and so it's inclusion absolutely baffles me.

Think about it. In Platinum, when you got Surf - and this is one of my favourite things in any repeat playthrough of it - suddenly, so many places in the prior game open up. The bottom floor of Oreburgh gate, the many patches of water along each grassy route, the large expansive routes below Sandgem and to an extent next to Pastoria; and indeed, opened up a previous roadblock in the game - Canalave city. When you get the Surf HM, you don't just use it on a route immediately after it and then maybe a couple times later in the game. Well, you could choose to do that, but at the same time you could go back and do so much, get so many items, explore new areas and battle more trainers and find new Pokémon. Getting the Surf HM in Sinnoh opened up so much.
And again, you explained another reason why I love Sinnoh. The game felt like it had SO many places you can explore and even the required places felt like you were "exploring" them as you went through rather than just using them as the path to get from Point A to Point B. Mt. Coronet was amazing for this. Getting an HM in Sinnoh felt like finding a new weapon/item in Metroid - opening up the path for the next story, but also giving you a ton of places you can go back and explore because you realize there's this one rock back in this one cave you can now move or smash.

And again, you explained another reason why I love Sinnoh. The game felt like it had SO many places you can explore and even the required places felt like you were "exploring" them as you went through rather than just using them as the path to get from Point A to Point B. Mt. Coronet was amazing for this. Getting an HM in Sinnoh felt like finding a new weapon/item in Metroid - opening up the path for the next story, but also giving you a ton of places you can go back and explore because you realize there's this one rock back in this one cave you can now move or smash.
Except Defog. You got Defog to clear away a stupid weather condition that was a pain in the butt to try and get through otherwise. (ignoring its competitive use, which was virtually nonexistent before gen 6)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But no bad roadblocks in the early games, you say? "Hey! Have you checked out the Pewter Gym? I'll show you the way!" "I can't let you go through here. I sure am thirsty, though..." "Hey kid! How about you buy a Rage Candy Bar? Mahogany Town's local specialty! Not letting you past even if you do, though!" "The Slowpoke Well is dangerous, so I'm standing watch. Aren't I a good Samaritan?" "Hey, the Wailmer are doing really important training here in the bay." (even if it's a Team Magma grunt) THE LINE OF TEAM MAGMA/AQUA GRUNTS BEFORE THE TRICK HOUSE.

Point is, bad roadblocks have been around since the beginning. Gen 7's roadblocks are more annoying because they don't just push the character back a step or so, but typically have to make the screen fade to black and then come back to your character being a step or so away from the obstacle.
I think you're mistaking my point, a roadblock can be nonsensical and still not feel bad. Let's compare the guards around Saffron City to the Stoutland dude. Stoutland dude blocks off points twice in a completely arbitrary manner, and his moving has nothing to do with player action. The guards around Saffron City let you pass after you go out of your way to find the tea and bring it back to them. The difference should be pretty clear, both are nonsensical but Saffron City relies on player input. I think a bad roadblock really should be retitled to an arbitrary one, because that's the one that they clearly just gave up finding a good reason to give you the progression curve that was planned. It's not that there are no "bad roadblocks" before gen 5, it's just that so many were tied to HMs that it feels like a lot less. You didn't list, say, the cut tree outside of Cerulean stopping you from going to the Rock Tunnel or not being able to go to Cinnabar until you get Surf because that feels like you did something. In the examples you gave the Rage Candy Bar is bad and not being able to fight the Rocket without Kurt is arbitrary, but I could think of worse ways to block off areas than training Wailmer or grunts blocking the exit while their boss is stealing parts. Older games absolutely aren't perfect, your examples prove that, but overall I don't think your definition of bad is applicable. I'd much rather block off an area "until the trial guide deems you strong enough to go there", fade to black or no fade to black, because at least they're not "disappearing for no reason" as soon as you hit your arbitrary goal.

And the only reason I feel like talking about this (aside from going through that phase where you get really into game design) is that the whole push to get rid of HMs in the first place led to this annoying roadblock problem when they served a unique and useful purpose for an overblown price. So if they are incorporating fanservice (in such a formulaic, installment based game why would't they), I dont think that the fade to black or being somewhat nonsensical (it's monsters in balls lol) is the right direction we should push them on how to fix roadblocks. Ultimately I don't even hate the gen 7 roadblocks too much since most aren't that poor. Hala's Tauros and the kid's Stoutland at least introduce ride Pokemon, and getting new ride Pokemon always comes from completing a trial, needing it to complete a trial, or a friend you made deciding to help you progress by giving you the register. I'd rather HMs in the game, but this definitely exceeded my expectations on how they'd use ride Pokemon, especially after BW2 and XY's fuckups.

The annoying thing is there's absolutely no reason why Ride Pokémon should make the roadblocks any different from those in older games. Why couldn't they make a path blocked off by a Lapras/Sharpedo surf route, or a Tauros rock, or god forbid actually giving Mudsdale a purpose with a rocky road?

one of the most stupid roadblocks imo in Sun/Moon is on route 11. You can't continue east until you get the Z-crystal, that's okay. But I remember right after you get it, if you go there the trial helper tells you to go advance some storyline somewhere else.
Then, after doing that, and finnaly being able to proceed east, what do you find? a natural roadblock that is inmediatelly lifted by getting mudsdale gallop.

Seriously, couldn't they just use the trial barrier somewhere else to prevent a stupid roadblock and let the rough terrain being a natural roadblock there? because Hera shows up exactly when needed.

I hate how most of the alolan forms are even worse than their normal counterparts. The alolan form is an amazing concept that could have made some bad pokemon worth using, but instead the alolan forms get no stat bonuses or any majorly different stat spreads.

I also feel like SuMo's great soundtrack suffers a lot from the fact that the best themes are locked in the most boring, uninteresting places, like Paniola town and the aether theme that plays in those little bus like thingies. You have to literally stand still and do nothing to hear those themes.

I hate how most of the alolan forms are even worse than their normal counterparts. The alolan form is an amazing concept that could have made some bad pokemon worth using, but instead the alolan forms get no stat bonuses or any majorly different stat spreads.
Uhm... what? Dugtrio is the only one you can really call 'worse' with no way to deny it.

Their strength is not in stats, but in abilities, moves or typing.

Uhm... what? Dugtrio is the only one you can really call 'worse' with no way to deny it.

Their strength is not in stats, but in abilities, moves or typing.
Raticate seems like the only one that's clearly worse, but maybe I'm missing something that makes it better than I realize. A few clearly outclass their Kanto variants and the rest are about the same or arguably better, IMO.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair, we are talking about what Pokémon here? Sandslash, Ninetales, Exeggutor, Golem, Marowak, Persian, Muk, Dugtrio, Raichu and Raticate. Not exactly the cream of the crop to begin with. Being the same as or slightly better than the base form is still pretty mediocre.

Compared to what Mega Evolution did to a few absolute-bottom-of-the-barrel Pokémon (making all of them good, if not great, even though some were outclassed by each other), Alola Forms are pretty lame. It feels like a step down.

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of the Pokémon that were previously mediocre - Sandslash and Exeggutor, for example - don't get enough changes or big enough changes to be a lot more viable now. They're generally only around as viable as their original counterparts, with the only exceptions I can think of being Muk and Marowak who are suddenly a lot better in OU.
I think Ninetales accomplishes the Alolan Form concept the best as it's mostly just being good in a different way rather than outright worse or better than it's counterpart; one's a sun setter, one's a hail setter.

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of the Pokémon that were previously mediocre - Sandslash and Exeggutor, for example - don't get enough changes or big enough changes to be a lot more viable now. They're generally only around as viable as their original counterparts, with the only exceptions I can think of being Muk and Marowak who are suddenly a lot better in OU.
I think Ninetales accomplishes the Alolan Form concept the best as it's mostly just being good in a different way rather than outright worse or better than it's counterpart; one's a sun setter, one's a hail setter.
You forgot Alolan Raichu. I also heard decent things about Alolan Persian as being a lower tier pivot thanks to Fur Coat and Parting Shot. Still...there really isn't much good with many of them because they all had the restriction of the same BST with similar distributions...

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
:mad:
What does Smeargle's Gen Two Sprite look like?
Picasso doge
The TV shows in Gens V and VI taught me a fair bit of basic Japanese, and were all in all very entertaining with seemingly endless snippets about Poke Rangers and some very interesting uses of Pokemon abilities.

The TV show(s) in Gen VII taught me how to bear immense hatred for a dish I had never even heard of. Fucking malasada
The Bag sprite doesn't do it enough justice. Look at this:

I can't believe they removed the trade evo exploit. You know the one where you keep your trade evo mon in deposit and ask for something like a lvl 100 caterpie, then go do any form of trade with another pokemon, and then after you take your trade evo mon out of deposit they evolve? Yeah I can't do that no more in this one. Just why? I even go out of my way to make sure my garbagemons at the very least have a good nature and items that cost bp like a lucarionite. This just aint' fair to me.

New annoyance: Fishing in Gen VI and VII. This also stems from the difficulty of obtaining Bottle Caps.

Now, I think we've ranted enough in the past five pages of this thread about how the encounter tables in S/M are terrible and that fishing rarely ever gives you anything but Magikarp. We've beaten that horse into the ground at this point (though frankly, the problem stems from there only being 1 type of rod). But that's not even the whole story: Half the time when the player casts their rod, they wait exactly one second before deciding that "nothing seems to be biting" and pulling it back in. I honestly don't believe anyone who worked on the games has ever actually gone fishing, since in real life you never catch a fish immediately after casting. Why is the player so impatient?

Oh yeah, and all Suction Cups Pokemon are transfer only. Sucks, doesn't it? (Or I guess it doesn't... since you don't have any Pokemon with... yeah... fine I'll show myself out)

EDIT: Related to Bottle Caps, I think GF missed a big opportunity not making them held by wild Trubbish and Garbodor. Not only would make sense in-universe (Bottle caps are basically garbage), but it would also make them much more easily farmable.

Last edited:
I hate the terrible lag and slowdown in this game, especially on O3DS. For example, it takes 20 seconds to actually start the game and while I was doing multi-battles, it takes 10 seconds after I input my command before the battle actually starts. It seems like nothing, but it happens 2-3 times per battle and for at least 50 battles to get the stamp.

Another thing I hate is how you NEED to spend hours getting the Rare Kitchens, the 4500 FC for the kitchens, and the 800 FC for the meals, and you need to get the Pokemon to level 66 (while also needing 2 rare candies) in order to train ONE Pokemon to Level 100 to hyper train a day. It's a major step back from Blissey bases which can get a couple teams to level 100 a day.

I hate the terrible lag and slowdown in this game, especially on O3DS. For example, it takes 20 seconds to actually start the game and while I was doing multi-battles, it takes 10 seconds after I input my command before the battle actually starts. It seems like nothing, but it happens 2-3 times per battle and for at least 50 battles to get the stamp.

Another thing I hate is how you NEED to spend hours getting the Rare Kitchens, the 4500 FC for the kitchens, and the 800 FC for the meals, and you need to get the Pokemon to level 66 (while also needing 2 rare candies) in order to train ONE Pokemon to Level 100 to hyper train a day. It's a major step back from Blissey bases which can get a couple teams to level 100 a day.
I haven't found lag that bad for most of the game, but I have had brutal lag with 1 specific move/Z-Move. For whatever reason, Darkest Lariat and Malicious Moonsault really slow the game down.

Also annoying: After defeating the Champion, you go up to the Ruins of Conflict. While going up there, the game basically taunts you with a Zygarde Cell you can't collect right there (because you're still in cutscene mode).

I can't believe they removed the trade evo exploit. You know the one where you keep your trade evo mon in deposit and ask for something like a lvl 100 caterpie, then go do any form of trade with another pokemon, and then after you take your trade evo mon out of deposit they evolve? Yeah I can't do that no more in this one. Just why? I even go out of my way to make sure my garbagemons at the very least have a good nature and items that cost bp like a lucarionite. This just aint' fair to me.
They fixed that glitch in Gen V, for the record.

I really wish they hadn't, though, it was really great.

I have the oldest 3DS model and the "lag" is actually really tolerable. The game takes 5-10 seconds to load which is fine and there is almost never any slowdown or lag (the only time in the main story was against Totem Raticate-A and Totem Wishiwashi) and while doubles is a bit laggy, it's still really bearable because it's 3 seconds of lag, which I can deal with. I don't think its as big an issue as people make it out to be.

(meant to post this earlier today but I apparently did not)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 21)