[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Speaking on general basis, I don't think it is wise to have them both on the same team, especially not as dedicated special walls. Too overlapping in my opinion, not to mention their typing. Note that Chansey can use aromatherapy to help against poison if you want that (and so can clefable, if you want a physical wall as well) ;) If you want to use both however, I think Snorlax should be like bulky offensive (Curse?), so they don't overlap too much :)

EDIT: The PGL has finally updated! Link:

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/286edbb3-6e8d-4ade-90f7-86896a7ce102
Yea I was thinking in general. Ooh that would be good. Clefable... that would be interesting. I'll have to see what I have. It's been awhile. Thanks for the tip about Curse.

Nidoking 132 Atk/ 156 SpA/ 220 Spe Rash nature. Ice Beam/ Earth Power/ Sludge Wave/ Sucker Punch.

Is this good? EVs outspeed high speed base 80s(I imagine Dragonite is liable to run Adamant w/ Dragon Dance, and no WP means you never have to be wary of hitting it w/ Ice Veam,) and pretty much guarantee the OHKO on 0/4 Alakazam(didn't want too much Atk since there's only one physical attack.) Nature boosts Nidoking's most important stat, letting it do tremendous damage to most stuff weak to its special moves. Is Nidoking gonna be a good Pokemon in this meta?

Nidoking 132 Atk/ 156 SpA/ 220 Spe Rash nature. Ice Beam/ Earth Power/ Sludge Wave/ Sucker Punch.

Is this good? EVs outspeed high speed base 80s(I imagine Dragonite is liable to run Adamant w/ Dragon Dance, and no WP means you never have to be wary of hitting it w/ Ice Veam,) and pretty much guarantee the OHKO on 0/4 Alakazam(didn't want too much Atk since there's only one physical attack.) Nature boosts Nidoking's most important stat, letting it do tremendous damage to most stuff weak to its special moves. Is Nidoking gonna be a good Pokemon in this meta?
That spread seems solid. And i think nidoking will be pretty viable. Its hard to switch into unless your name is chansey and having a boosting ability like sheer force is pretty nice imo since theres no boosting items available.

Would Snorlax be better with Immunity or Thick Fat?

I was thinking like
Curse
Body Slam
Rest
Sleep Talk

Kind of boring. Stockpile would boost both defenses, but breeding a Munchlax would more of a hassle for just Stockpile.

I am liking Yawn also. Although that is kind of situation also to get a free Curse or Rest turn.

I was thinking like
Curse
Body Slam
Rest
Sleep Talk

Kind of boring. Stockpile would boost both defenses, but breeding a Munchlax would more of a hassle for just Stockpile.

I am liking Yawn also. Although that is kind of situation also to get a free Curse or Rest turn.
I'd think Immunity since you can unfreeze. A burn is a bit more of a pain. If you're going after a Ice Type or Fire Type or are dealing with those kinds of moves, I'd go with Thick Fat.

Yawn is a good one to help with a pesky Pokemon.

Would Mean Look be a good option on a team?

I'd think Immunity since you can unfreeze. A burn is a bit more of a pain. If you're going after a Ice Type or Fire Type or are dealing with those kinds of moves, I'd go with Thick Fat.

Yawn is a good one to help with a pesky Pokemon.

Would Mean Look be a good option on a team?
Immunity is just for Poison. I figured Toxic will be used more in this format.

Also, I think the only Mean Look Pokémon are Golbat, Muk, Gengar, and Jynx, not sure how the match ups will go for them.

I was thinking like
Curse
Body Slam
Rest
Sleep Talk

I think immunity could definitely be worth using. Its probably just something you should test for with some battles once the PS ladder goes up. If theres more toxic than fire/ice moves than its probably a good choice. And vice versa for thick fat.

Immunity is just for Poison. I figured Toxic will be used more in this format.

Also, I think the only Mean Look Pokémon are Golbat, Muk, Gengar, and Jynx, not sure how the match ups will go for them.
I know. Sorry that I didn't make the post clearer. I was going off of the fact that Pokemon tend to unfreeze on their own, with less of a need for items to unfreeze them.

Ah. Maybe Muk or Gengar might be ok to use. I could see Golbat and Jynx getting killed way too quickly.

I think speed tying opposing Nidoking is gonna be a must for this meta. I've been toying around with this mixed set:

Nidoking
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 148 Atk / 108 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Yup. I'm using Poison Jab > Sludge Wave, mainly due to my fear of CM Clef getting a +1 SpDef from CM before I can get in to jab it. 148 Atk ensures the OHKO on Alakazam with Sucker Punch 100% of the time, while Thunderbolt 2HKOs phys def Slowbro on the switch. Earth Power > Earthquake for Intimidate Arcanine and for the Sheer Force boost.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The best special sponge out of the original 151 is Chansey, by far and away. Even without an Eviolite it can still sit in front of things like Alakazam all day and click Soft-Boiled.
Calm mind alakazam might be fun:

+1 252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 204-240 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Protect disable encore psyshock alakazam is actually pretty good here. I have won my last 5 games on showdown mainly due to this set.
I've been trying this out too! It annoys Nidokings so bad...

This really is Clefable: The Meta. I'm currently trying it out with some stuff to help it set up and some stuff to kill opposing Clefs. It's gone well so far..

I need help with this core,

Electrode
Ability: Soundproof
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Swagger
- Protect
- Explosion

Alakazam (M)
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power
- Encore

Nidoking
Shiny: Yes
Naive Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
This electrode, pika use on the cup, Nidoking is the posting Vengeance417 , and a stardard build alakazam

Until now I haven't seen any Trick Room teams. It's strange since the likes of Snorlax or Slowbro could have some potential there, but options are many and you must be careful with Taunts.

I faced a team where Slowbro, Chansey and even Clefable made a good stall switch in and switch out. Now it's clear than Alakazam should carry Calm Mind to defeat Chansey, even when the Psychic+Psyshock duo had been doing well. That would also help against Sucker Punches.

Snorlax learns Pursuit and Gunk Shot - off base 110 attack, that's some pretty hefty and useful coverage. I wouldn't know what else to do with it, though, besides tank hits and break psychic/clef cores. Switching into resisted Ice beams and Pursuiting Starmie (although it's a 3HKO without switching...) sounds fun. How do you calc Analytic on Showdown's damage calculator, again? Psyshock does max 35.1% to Adamant Snorlax.

I think speed tying opposing Nidoking is gonna be a must for this meta. I've been toying around with this mixed set:

Nidoking
Naive Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Yup. I'm using Poison Jab > Sludge Wave, mainly due to my fear of CM Clef getting a +1 SpDef from CM before I can get in to jab it. 148 Atk ensures the OHKO on Alakazam with Sucker Punch 100% of the time, while Thunderbolt 2HKOs phys def Slowbro on the switch. Earth Power > Earthquake for Intimidate Arcanine and for the Sheer Force boost.
How significant is the loss in special attacking power from my Nidoking set? As long as it's not too bad that set seems better, but it's 156+SpA vs 108 SpA.

Also, what's the least amount of speed Primeape should run? Going down the list, Jynx, Magmar, and base 90s don't seem threatening. Should it just run enough for max speed base 85s?

Last edited:
How significant is the loss in special attacking power from my Nidoking set? As long as it's not too bad that set seems better, but it's 156+SpA vs 108 SpA.

Also, what's the least amount of speed Primeape should run? Going down the list, Jynx, Magmar, and base 90s don't seem threatening. Should it just run enough for max speed base 85s?
It depends on what you want to do with your Nido. My mixed set is more physical based since I'm using Poison Jab > Sludge Wave, but SW still has its merits since it's a higher BP move. Since I'm not running as much SpA as you, the power loss is noticeable, but I can still at least 2HKO phys def Slowbro with Tbolt.

108 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 102-122 (50.4 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

No experience with Primeape yet, but I'll try him out one of these days.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I would think mold breaker pinser will have a decent niche in smashing through everything with study, multi scale(maybe), and Levi

Idk if it has any speed boosts it can use when it forces switches

If not it still has swords dance and rocks

Gryados just looks flexible in general

It depends on what you want to do with your Nido. My mixed set is more physical based since I'm using Poison Jab > Sludge Wave, but SW still has its merits since it's a higher BP move. Since I'm not running as much SpA as you, the power loss is noticeable, but I can still at least 2HKO phys def Slowbro with Tbolt.

108 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 102-122 (50.4 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

No experience with Primeape yet, but I'll try him out one of these days.
Is T-Bolt better than Ice Beam? The loss of damage against Dragonite, and coverage in general, is discouraging, but it's a guaranteed 2HKO on Slowbro and mauls Gyara, so maybe I should use it instead. Nidoking's higher Atk stat makes up for Poison Jab's lower BP, so I can see why you'd run that.

What should Chansey be running? I'm thinking Calm 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SpD-Chansey's weird stat distribution makes Hp investment less effective, weirdly enough. I'm running Aromatherapy/ Thunder Wave/ Soft-Boiled/ Counter. Counter can ruin lots of physical attackers like unboosted DNite.

My question is are there too many Physical attackers to go Calm? You make better use of your stats though, and my team is lacking special bulk.

Is T-Bolt better than Ice Beam? The loss of damage against Dragonite, and coverage in general, is discouraging, but it's a guaranteed 2HKO on Slowbro and mauls Gyara, so maybe I should use it instead. Nidoking's higher Atk stat makes up for Poison Jab's lower BP, so I can see why you'd run that.

What should Chansey be running? I'm thinking Calm 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SpD-Chansey's weird stat distribution makes Hp investment less effective, weirdly enough. I'm running Aromatherapy/ Thunder Wave/ Soft-Boiled/ Counter. Counter can ruin lots of physical attackers like unboosted DNite.

My question is are there too many Physical attackers to go Calm? You make better use of your stats though, and my team is lacking special bulk.
It depends on your team composition as well. I'm running Ice Beam Starmie and Clefable on my team as well as my own Dragonite, so I felt that using T-bolt over Ice Beam on Nidoking to help with my Slowbro weakness was an ok idea.

Nidoking/ Primeape/ Alakazam/ Chansey/ Clefable/ Aerodactyl.

I can give the full sets, but they aren't all that fancy(bar Nidoking, and I listed what set it has already), so I may not need to.

I'm not sure if I'm more troubled by Ice weeks like DNite and all the grass types, or the crazy number of waters likes Starmie, Gyara, Vaporeon, Slowbro, and Cloyster. They both kinda get flying types, w/ some differences like T-Bolt gets Articuno and Moltres while Ice Beam gets Zapdos. I'll try both I guess.

I'm pretty sure Alakazam wants Psychic and Pyshock, and it likes Calm Mind to break Chansey and them. Is Substitute a good idea for the last slot? Zam can force switches, and throw a sub on a predicted T-Wave or something then set up.

Does Dactyl have to run Taunt? I'm doing SR and three attacks since my team has two rock resists, and no weaknesses bar Dactyl itself, whichll often be a lead so it doesn't matter, so stopping SR setters don't seem too important, and coverage is super important.

Is Hitmonlee/Chan better than Primeape due to Rapid Spin? Again, don't really mind rocks, but the Hitmons have other good stuff about them too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)