[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Still thinking Butterfree is looking better and better.

97.5% Sleep Powder, 30% accuracy boost from Compoundeyes, and Whirlwind.

Quiver Dance

Still thinking Butterfree is looking better and better.

97.5% Sleep Powder, 30% accuracy boost from Compoundeyes, and Whirlwind.

Quiver Dance
It sounds good on paper but I'm not sure if it will ever get a chance to set up since its slow before the boost and really frail.

This looks like a fun competition! I think I'll invest less time in Smash 4 to enter this one.

Since Pokemon transferred from the past games are allowed, I'm probably going to test a Vaporeon with the moves Whirlpool, Yawn, and Baton Pass. Those three moves used in order can buy a completely free turn for a set-up sweeper. Vaporeon's good bulk, along with the lack of items and threatening Pokemon with sleep-preventing abilities (I don't think we'll see a lot of Primeape or Hypno), make this worth the look imo.

Magneton is the only steel-type in the competition and will probably see play as a result. (Plus it has good stats... if you can get over the lack of movepool)

Alakazam looks problematic, but Chansey and Snorlax will probably do fairly well vs. it, so i can see quite a few of those appearing. (Curselax seems more likely imo)

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Sturdy Magneton seems really neat as an emergency check to stuff with a Hidden Power of choice, probably Ice to snipe Dragonite and then it has Electric STAB for Gyarados. Provided hazards aren't in play of course (do we have confirmation that this is indeed 6v6 yet?). Aside from that, Volt Switch is always good and Analytic is also solid if this is 6v6 due to switching being more common as a result. Shame it's not just a little bit bulkier but Steel typing will go a long way when there's no items boosting stuff.

I have been playing solely doubles the last couple of years. When I played singles I always seemed to get beat by teams that just went on a hyper offensive onslaught.

Being Gen 1 only, will setting up Stealth Rock be an option? Which I sure it should be used, but you know how people just like to hit stuff.

I don't see Toxic Spikes being an option, with more Poison types on the ground.

I guess overall, with singles, is setting up more viable?

Stealth Rocks will definitely be viable. I think the only thing holding it back is just the smaller amount of setters, but there's some decent setters like Rhydon, Aerodactyl, Chansey. Since this is 6v6 most people will definitely try to fit it in their teams.

Stealth Rocks will definitely be viable. I think the only thing holding it back is just the smaller amount of setters, but there's some decent setters like Rhydon, Aerodactyl, Chansey. Since this is 6v6 most people will definitely try to fit it in their teams.
I was thinking Sandslash since he can set and spin. I am thinking I should carry two setters. The 2nd option looks like everyone is going to be using a Clefable, so maybe SR on there.

I was thinking Sandslash since he can set and spin. I am thinking I should carry two setters. The 2nd option looks like everyone is going to be using a Clefable, so maybe SR on there.
I think two setters is unecessary. Just a waste of a moveslot on the 2nd poke. And clefable usually has other stuff it'd rather be using.

rcade216 Have you considered Golem? It has a useful ability in Sturdy, Edgequake (which is really good here since none of the Gen 1 guys resist both rock and ground-type moves IIRC), and a priority move in Sucker Punch (4th gen tutor move) if you want that as well. Aerodactyl's the fastest setter of Stealth Rock so it'd almost always get those up. No sash hurts, though.

rcade216 Have you considered Golem? It has a useful ability in Sturdy, Edgequake (which is really good here since none of the Gen 1 guys resist both rock and ground-type moves IIRC), and a priority move in Sucker Punch (4th gen tutor move) if you want that as well. Aerodactyl's the fastest setter of Stealth Rock so it'd almost always get those up. No sash hurts, though.
Thanks for the idea, I'll spend the next 3 weeks second guessing my team either way.

I was thinking of Onix, Stealth Rock and Taunt. Although, I seem to fall into a habit of trying to do too much with a single Pokémon.

I'd actually like to do a Sun team, but again I feel like I will fall into the habit of trying to do too much with each Pokémon.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Thanks for the idea, I'll spend the next 3 weeks second guessing my team either way.

I was thinking of Onix, Stealth Rock and Taunt. Although, I seem to fall into a habit of trying to do too much with a single Pokémon.

I'd actually like to do a Sun team, but again I feel like I will fall into the habit of trying to do too much with each Pokémon.
Aerodactyl gets Rocks and Taunt too so there's not any point for Onix especially since it can't run Eviolite.

Does anyone know if Japan or wherever the event is happening will get their HA bird trio before the competition?

Aerodactyl gets Rocks and Taunt too so there's not any point for Onix especially since it can't run Eviolite.

Does anyone know if Japan or wherever the event is happening will get their HA bird trio before the competition?
I think the release date for the HA bird trio is March 1st.

I forgot about Aerodactyl, he is on my list for Stealth Rock users and Taunt users, but somehow I missed him when I looked over the list.

60 minutes timer!? :'( Stall can be very viable then.

Should also be noted that Static Zapdos can't learn defog, I can definitly see Calm/Bold defog zapdos be a thing.

Slowbro might work as a defensive wall, especially with regenerator: +1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 82-97 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, while ice beam always KO 4 hp D-nite (not factoring in multiscale ofc)

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
60 minutes timer!? :'( Stall can be very viable then.

Should also be noted that Static Zapdos can't learn defog, I can definitly see Calm/Bold defog zapdos be a thing.

Slowbro might work as a defensive wall, especially with regenerator: +1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 82-97 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO, while ice beam always KO 4 hp D-nite (not factoring in multiscale ofc)
Slowbro can't be mega because items are illegal. Kind of good because who wants to deal with Kangaskhan in this.

Didn't notice it was mega, that explains why I was somewhat surprised by its phenomenal bulk... turns out even jolly +1 D-nite 2HKOs max/max slowbro :/ Back to clefable, then.

>Sun only possible weather
>Electrode has Rain Dance and literally can't be outsped by anything without boosts.

Sure, it's probably not that great of an idea, but Electrode does have other useful support moves like Light Screen, Taunt, Thunder Wave or even Explosion for bringing the rain sweeper in quickly and safely. Sure, no weather rocks are allowed, but a Kabutops could probably cause some damage in three or four turns, maybe Omastar... Even Victreebel, weird idea, has its Fire weakness nullified, while also having access to a Base 100 Water attack in Weather Ball and Gen IV Sucker Punch. Articuno also benefits from lowered firepower, while having perfectly accurate Hurricanes.

Also, Primeape is the only decent Acrobatics-user available. Unless any of You want to try using Farfetch'd.

Last edited:
Dugtrio has a nice ability, but it may struggle against Flying types or Levitate users like Gengar, even when he gets Sucker Punch. It gets OHKO by Electrode's Explosion even with it being Timid and its Earthquake without Life Orb would strangely knock out even when it does super effective damage to bulky things like Golem or Nidoqueen with some HP EVs.

Machamp's Earthquake does actually the same damage or even more thanks to its great Attack stat and can tank some hits, unless you're facing Alakazam. What is funny is that Machamp's Knock Off actually OHKOs pure offensive Alakazam even when not carrying an item!! And it also has a chance to OHKO Gengar with it, so it may not be a bad idea to give it the move. Its Stone Edge also threatens even the most Physically Defensive Zapdos for a 2HKO. You better consider Machamp as a member of either Tailwind or Trick Room teams, the main reason probably being its chance to check Snorlax with Dynamic Punch. You will struggle if not carrying a STAB Fighting type. Still, it will suffer fourth moveslot syndrome, as it could also use Poison Jab in case you face a Clefable.

Since battles can last up to 60 minutes, we should prepare for stall and more annoying tactics. Clefable, Dragonite and Gyarados may go for set up, and the first checks that comes to mind are Taunt users, then use Gengar/Nidoqueen/Nidoking/Magneton to check Clefable, Zapdos/Jolteon/Electrode for Gyarados and Cloyster or even Clefable for Dragonite.

Seems like the original Fairy may work in many manners, but a counter for itself must also be with you.

Last edited:
This looks like a fun competition! I think I'll invest less time in Smash 4 to enter this one.

Since Pokemon transferred from the past games are allowed, I'm probably going to test a Vaporeon with the moves Whirlpool, Yawn, and Baton Pass. Those three moves used in order can buy a completely free turn for a set-up sweeper. Vaporeon's good bulk, along with the lack of items and threatening Pokemon with sleep-preventing abilities (I don't think we'll see a lot of Primeape or Hypno), make this worth the look imo.
Heck yea. Might look into trying to gather as best of a team I can for it. I remember trying to get Lance's Dragonite back in the day. XD

Poison types would be good, same with sleeping ones. What about Disabling? That would certainly be annoying, along with any ability that would prevent a trainer from switching.

I think Nidoking will be good. High power all around w/ lots of coverage, and Sucker Punch is an EM. How little speed can it run? Other base 85s in Kanto aren't too relevant, and it typically loses to Guara anyways(unless you run T-Bolt...tho at seems like a bad idea,) so could it go Rash or is that too little speed? It also has to OHKO 4/0 Alakazam w/ Sucker Punch.

I think Speed and Defense (and even Sp. Defense) could be important.

What's a good Wall against Sp. Attack users (meaning Pokemon that rely on it a lot)?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The best special sponge out of the original 151 is Chansey, by far and away. Even without an Eviolite it can still sit in front of things like Alakazam all day and click Soft-Boiled.

The best special sponge out of the original 151 is Chansey, by far and away. Even without an Eviolite it can still sit in front of things like Alakazam all day and click Soft-Boiled.
Cool. Was thinking Snorlax myself, but I'd need to have two on my team for the coverage. One to protect from Heat/Cold and another to protect from Poisoning. Chansey could come in handy recovery wise too.

Cool. Was thinking Snorlax myself, but I'd need to have two on my team for the coverage. One to protect from Heat/Cold and another to protect from Poisoning. Chansey could come in handy recovery wise too.
Speaking on general basis, I don't think it is wise to have them both on the same team, especially not as dedicated special walls. Too overlapping in my opinion, not to mention their typing. Note that Chansey can use aromatherapy to help against poison if you want that (and so can clefable, if you want a physical wall as well) ;) If you want to use both however, I think Snorlax should be like bulky offensive (Curse?), so they don't overlap too much :)

EDIT: The PGL has finally updated! Link:

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/286edbb3-6e8d-4ade-90f7-86896a7ce102

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)