Anything Goes Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Primal Groudon is worth of S+ tier, while it is very good, it hasn't the same power and variety of roles as Arceus. Since AG allows to use as much Arceus formes as you want, using a support Arceus forme has no opportunity cost. Primal Groudon support set is inferior to an Arceus one, because Arceus has Will-O-Wisp, Magic Coat, Recover, Defog, Perish Song, Extreme Speed...
Lack of recovery hurts it a lot. So Primal Groudon better suit for offensive use. But the fact it is slow and can't hold an item makes it easy setup for Darkrai. It wants Swords Dance and Rock Polish to sweep effectively, but getting these two boost is easier said than done.

I think Scolipede should go down to B- Rank. B+ is too high imo. All it does is Baton Pass, offensive roles are done better by the variety of other hard hitters in AG, and it can be killed fairly easily by some of the top threats in the meta. Plus it usually only gets one shot to do its role, and SwagKeys exists, paralyzing and thus nullifying any speed boosts it may pass. Sure it can set up a Sub, but it is frail asf, and the Sub can be broken as they switch or with and ESpeeder. It's not really too good in the AG meta, mainly because of Prankster T-Wave, and thus it can be moved down to B- Rank, as it does have a niche, just not a huge one.
Baton Pass is very viable in this tier, and on those team archetypes Scolipede is mandatory. A couple of Iron Defense and Double Team boosts, combined with Speed Boost, and your team is ready to sweep.

Kyurem-W doesn't really do much to either mon you mentioned, as it can't ohko groudon and gets killed by Ray before doing much
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 522-614 (126 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 283-334 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I was namely thinking of the scarf variant, which outspeeds and 2hkos all but fully invested spdef p-don

Mega Banette should be unranked
There is no reason to use it over any other Mega Pokemon or other Prankster User. Are you really going to waste a Mega Slot to just use Destiny Bond and kill something? Not to mention it can't even learn T-Wave for SwagPlay and relies on Protect or priority attacks to get Prankster next turn.

Deoxys-N should be unranked
What niche does this thing have oer any other Deoxys-Forme? The slide extra bulk barely matters, especially if Foul Play is almost everywhere.

Why are we ranking this????? Yes it has the "niche" of being bulkier than attack while harder hitting than speed but the question is is that even a niche? There's nothing relevant that OHKOes attack that 2HKOes normal that I can see, and really unless that list is a mile long im not sold. its just cluttering the list really.
An ExtremeSpeed from Lum Berry Arceus and Mega Rayquaza, a Play Rough/Flash Cannon from Klefki, every attack from Mewtwo not named Fire Blast or Shadow Ball, a Shadow Sneak from Aegislash or Greninja, a Gyro Ball from Ferrothorn, a Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan..and that's about it in terms of moves you could remotely expect to see on the AG ladder.

Not a very impressive list. It could survive more attacks with proper investment or Calm Mind, but then it risks being outclassed by Deoxys-S.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
There is no reason to use it over any other Mega Pokemon or other Prankster User. Are you really going to waste a Mega Slot to just use Destiny Bond and kill something? Not to mention it can't even learn T-Wave for SwagPlay and relies on Protect or priority attacks to get Prankster next turn.
Mega Banette is primarily used as a blanket check to Ekiller Arceus, due to immunity to Espeed and Prankster Destiny Bond. That why it is in D-Rank for having only one sole niche

After a spat of rotten luck on the low ladder, I'm nominating Machamp for D Rank because it demolishes Moody teams and evasion spam in general. No Guard means that none of its attacks miss, and most abusers of Moody have a Fighting weakness.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Mega Banette is primarily used as a blanket check to Ekiller Arceus, due to immunity to Espeed and Prankster Destiny Bond. That why it is in D-Rank for having only one sole niche
That's true but it only takes down one EKiller, and some teams use 6 and many use at least 2. It also has the opportunity cost of consuming your Mega slot which is huge (MegaRay, MegaGar, MegaMence, MegaKhan, etc. all become unusable which is bad). It's a very niche mon that can only take down one mon and tbh isn't that good (it can even have its DBonds stalled out by SD or Espeed and then it's just a waste of space). Overall niche and not very good, with huge opportunity cost for not only your mega, but a slot period, it can be unranked.

Can we stop ranking stuff that beats literally one Pokemon? Yes ekiller, keys, etc are centralizing but they don't force you to run some niche check like Banette and Numel. Keep in mind this is a new player's main resource to the tier and if we're telling them to use trash pokemon then the ladder will follow suit. If you have something that could beat a variety of things and top tier mons are among them of course thats different, but mons that beat one thing don't need to be on this list

Deoxys-N should be unranked
What niche does this thing have oer any other Deoxys-Forme? The slide extra bulk barely matters, especially if Foul Play is almost everywhere.
Banette does get twave, but I'm not entirely sure why you would use it for SwagPlay anyway considering it has no leftovers to take advantage of subs.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
We're ranking Deoxys-N, but we're not ranking Terrakion? Scarf Adamant Terrakion can OHKO EKiller Arceus-Normal after rocks damage and OHKO Darkrai (not really an accomplishment). If you remove Rayquaza, Xerneas and PrimalGDon from your enemy's team, Terrakion can come in and sweep. It OHKOs Yveltal on a Foul Play Switch with Stone Edge, OHKOs Kang-mega, OHKOs Smeargle with Double kick (to remove sash and kill). I'm not saying it's worthy of a high rank, just put it at C at least.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
We're ranking Deoxys-N, but we're not ranking Terrakion? Scarf Adamant Terrakion can OHKO EKiller Arceus-Normal after rocks agreedamage and OHKO Darkrai (not really an accomplishment). If you remove Rayquaza, Xerneas and PrimalGDon from your enemy's team, Terrakion can come in and sweep. It OHKOs Yveltal on a Foul Play Switch with Stone Edge, OHKOs Kang-mega, OHKOs Smeargle with Double kick (to remove sash and kill). I'm not saying it's worthy of a high rank, just put it at C at least.
Ok Agreed

Why is Chansey ranked? Mega Gengar may not be very common, but still, it makes Chansey very risky to use as a whole. Basically, if your opponent has a Mega Gengar, you basically just lose a Pokemon right there. If you're still going to rank it, I think it deserves less.
Also, for reference: Chansey is D Rank on the Uber Viability Thread. So there.

Last edited:
Okay aside from the obvious need to unrank Mega Banette and Deoxys-N, is there any actual good reason why Espeon, Xatu and Ditto are ranked, or at the very least why are they as high as the B ranks? Magic Bouncing is outclassed by Sableye-M and Espeon/Xatu can't even do anything aside from that because their offensive and defensive presence is literal shit. Ditto is incredibly predictable and easy to play around; no competent player is fearing this thing.

I believe part of the overall problem with these viability rankings is that the metagame is so centralized that there are only a select few Pokemon that are actually viable. Honestly, anything below B+ (bar a couple Pokemon like Kyogre) is just filler and should never be used on any "serious" AG team.

I believe part of the overall problem with these viability rankings is that the metagame is so centralized that there are only a select few Pokemon that are actually viable. Honestly, anything below B+ (bar a couple Pokemon like Kyogre) is just filler and should never be used on any "serious" AG team.
I agree and disagree with this. While I agree it's kinda hard to use anything below b, I feel like there are some pokemon that are at least usable. I've been experimenting with some weird stuff, including RestTalk Doublade as an Evasion + GeoXern check, and it's had decent results. it may be harder to use less viable pokemon, but it's certainly not impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)