Anything Goes Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both Latias and Latios should be moved down. They're easily killed or walled by Arceus (depending on the form) and somewhat checked by Darkrai, which can even sometimes set up on it (mostly if it has sub). They also can't OHKO Mega Diancie which will most likely be able to revenge kill it, at the very least. They can't do anything to Klefki, can't do anything to Lugia, outsped by Rayquaza-Mega and are killed by Yveltal. There's no real reason to use them, as they're either killed or outclassed by some of the most common Pokemon in the format, especially because you can use multiple of the same Pokemon. Defog support isn't really enough reason to keep them so high in viability.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I think both Latias and Latios should be moved down. They're easily killed or walled by Arceus (depending on the form) and somewhat checked by Darkrai, which can even sometimes set up on it (mostly if it has sub). They also can't OHKO Mega Diancie which will most likely be able to revenge kill it, at the very least. They can't do anything to Klefki, can't do anything to Lugia, outsped by Rayquaza-Mega and are killed by Yveltal. There's no real reason to use them, as they're either killed or outclassed by some of the most common Pokemon in the format, especially because you can use multiple of the same Pokemon. Defog support isn't really enough reason to keep them so high in viability.
Point taken, will move them down

Liepard should probably be lower than B+ rank. There's no reason to use it over Klefki, since its typing is a ton worse (STAB Foul Play isn't worth it) and it gets 2HKO'd by Extremespeed from unboosted Arceus and Megaray at full health. This means if it already lost health from two rocks switch-ins or has had a Sub broken previously it won't even be able to live one. Also if you compare it to the other Pokemon currently in B+ (Mega Gengar, Clefable, Scolipede, etc) it's really not at all comparable to the unique-ish roles they have.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I think Scolipede should go down to B- Rank. B+ is too high imo. All it does is Baton Pass, offensive roles are done better by the variety of other hard hitters in AG, and it can be killed fairly easily by some of the top threats in the meta. Plus it usually only gets one shot to do its role, and SwagKeys exists, paralyzing and thus nullifying any speed boosts it may pass. Sure it can set up a Sub, but it is frail asf, and the Sub can be broken as they switch or with and ESpeeder. It's not really too good in the AG meta, mainly because of Prankster T-Wave, and thus it can be moved down to B- Rank, as it does have a niche, just not a huge one.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Liepard should probably be lower than B+ rank. There's no reason to use it over Klefki, since its typing is a ton worse (STAB Foul Play isn't worth it) and it gets 2HKO'd by Extremespeed from unboosted Arceus and Megaray at full health. This means if it already lost health from two rocks switch-ins or has had a Sub broken previously it won't even be able to live one. Also if you compare it to the other Pokemon currently in B+ (Mega Gengar, Clefable, Scolipede, etc) it's really not at all comparable to the unique-ish roles they have.
Agreed, moved down to B-

They don't really have a niche. However, neither do many of the other Pokemon in the really low viability rankings for this format. Just think about it though, when would anyone actually ever use the Mega Lati@s over their Soul Dew counterparts (which I don't exactly find to be the most viable Pokemon in the format anyway), especially when it means you can't run another mega?

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ive seen some people (for idk what reason) use the megas and simply blacklisting them when they clearly have more physical bulk than there soul dew counterparts. In no means should you ever use them, but I find their the prime example of classic D-Rank pokemon

Hello, after reading this I honestly don't know if you play AG. I feel like this is just based on the Ubers usage (like Arceus-Ground, Lati@s and Giratina-O being so high, for example). And why is Arceus-Dark A+? I've been #1 on this ladder almost since the beginning and I've seen very few Arceus-Dark and they were not too useful. Mega Gengar should be in that possition, it's one of the best pokemon in this tier.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Hello, after reading this I honestly don't know if you play AG. I feel like this is just based on the Ubers usage (like Arceus-Ground, Lati@s and Giratina-O being so high, for example). And why is Arceus-Dark A+? I've been #1 on this ladder almost since the beginning and I've seen very few Arceus-Dark and they were not too useful. Mega Gengar should be in that possition, it's one of the best pokemon in this tier.
The AG metagame kinda reflects the Ubers metagame in a sense, without the Species, Sleep, Swagger, Moody and OHKO Clauses. The listing is still in development so there might be some injustices which will be fixed. I will lower Arceus Dark however, due to Klefki. Feel free to list any others you feel unjust and we can discuss. Arceus Ground and Giratino-O both act as a P-Don checks and Lati@s has already been covered. Mega Gar is low due to opportunity cost, but I will rise due to its immense support

Last edited:

truedrew

Banned deucer.
The AG metagame kinda reflects the Ubers metagame in a sense, without the Species, Sleep, Swagger, Moody and OHKO Clauses. The listing is still in development so there might be some injustices which will be fixed. I will lower Arceus Dark however, due to Klefki. Feel free to list any others you feel unjust and we can discuss. Arceus Ground and Giratino-O both act as a P-Don checks and Lati@s has already been covered. Mega Gar is low due to opportunity cost, but I will rise due to its immense support

Ubers is a well (almost) different meta game.
it allows for creativity and some sort of order due to the clauses in play and when stuff like stunfisk can be used on the ladder without too much of an opportunity cost. Ubers adores creativness (iirc someone had posted a wtf team which was ranked 1 with stuff like special zekrom idr whom but it was there) and actually allows for some ballsy mons like sol rock or even tentacruel can bee used. AG is a meta where there is little room for creativity and due to so many threats like moody no sleep clause ohko moves etc you cannot base the rankings of what you feel and listen to community input

Ive seen some people (for idk what reason) use the megas and simply blacklisting them when they clearly have more physical bulk than there soul dew counterparts. In no means should you ever use them, but I find their the prime example of classic D-Rank pokemon
If you should never use them, then don't rank them - simple as that. Don't view D as a 'never use' rank; it's a rank where Pokémon who have niches that fit on specific teams rather than the large majority go. If you really want to put in things that technically have niches but no-one has any actual reason to use you might as well put Vaporeon, Magneton and Torterra there.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
If you should never use them, then don't rank them - simple as that. Don't view D as a 'never use' rank; it's a rank where Pokémon who have niches that fit on specific teams rather than the large majority go. If you really want to put in things that technically have niches but no-one has any actual reason to use you might as well put Vaporeon, Magneton and Torterra there.
Ok agreed, will remove

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
To spark some discussion, I have been chatting with some AG players and this is what I have seen:

S+ ------> S : Hype kinda died down. Many teams prepare for it, still defining, but questionable though if worthy of S+

S -------> S+ : Extremely splashable. A team wit 6 Ekillers, can be considered "viable". Can run a variety of sets, and perform all of them efficiently

S- ------> S : Is able to spread sleep like crazy, thanks to high speed. Can sweep after one NP, but still weak to Espeed

A+ -----> S- : Effectively can check and counter Darkrai and Klefki single handedly, Overall strong mon, that can easily sweep with RP and CM thank to it Espeed resistance

S- -----> A+/A : Swagkey isn't as prominent as it was before. Many people prepare for it. Still all around great mon

A ------> A+ : Great revenge killer with shadow tag. Is immune to Espeed, nice answer to Geoxern not running Psyshock

A- -----> A/A+ : Great stall mon, also able to check Darkrai (to a less extent), and overall great counter to Espeed. Very bulky

A- -----> A : Great check to GeoXern. Also great at breaking stall

A- ------> A : Great P-Don check, while also offering support with Defog

B ------> B+ : Can be considered as a Ekiller check and Geoxern check. However trading its offensive presence

B- ------> B+ : Great revenge killer with Scarf

C -------> C- : Swagkeys are starting to carry HP Water
What do you think? Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited:
Aegislash is not a reliable Ekiller check. Arceus OHKOs it with EQ after one Swords Dance with Aegislash hardly being able to do much back. It is, however, a great check to Xerneas and I'm fine with it being put in B+, since I've used it a fair bit and it works fine. I also think Arceus-fairy should be moved up to A, as its great for Defog, tanking hits, and spreading burns. I'm not sure how I feel about Giratina-O being moved up. It sounds a lot better in theory than it actually works in practice. It seems like it would deal with P-Don and non Shadow Claw Ekiller very well, but it's a bit underwhelming in this format. I definitely agree with Numel being moved down though, as it was never anything more than a gimmick in the first place.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Aegislash is not a reliable Ekiller check. Arceus OHKOs it with EQ after one Swords Dance with Aegislash hardly being able to do much back. It is, however, a great check to Xerneas and I'm fine with it being put in B+, since I've used it a fair bit and it works fine. I also think Arceus-fairy should be moved up to A, as its great for Defog, tanking hits, and spreading burns. I'm not sure how I feel about Giratina-O being moved up. It sounds a lot better in theory than it actually works in practice. It seems like it would deal with P-Don and non Shadow Claw Ekiller very well, but it's a bit underwhelming in this format. I definitely agree with Numel being moved down though, as it was never anything more than a gimmick in the first place.
True, I have seen quite a lot of Arceus Fairies, will move

S+ ---> S: Couldn't agree more, I personally think it could go lower but one step at a time I guess. As long as keys are spamming Twave + Swagger it can't do much of anything to anyone. Arceus also hurts it since it can't OHKO at +1.

S ---> S+: Agreed. I end up throwing at least one or two Ekillers on any team i start building, it's such a spashable mon with literally zero downsides. Plus it can check different stuff with Lum, Silk Scarf Refresh, Life Orb, etc. The best mon in the metagame for sure.

S- ---> S: Iffy on this one. While it is very threatening to unprepared teams, it can be pretty easily handled by capable players. Diancie hard counters it, Ekiller can always at least dent it, and runs Lum a lot of times. Not to even mention Dark Void isn't the most reliable thing ever. I could see it going up I suppose but keep in mind it doesn't always get these favored matchups.

A+ ---> S-: Agreed. A blanket check to Darkrai and Klefki in one is something I'll sign up for any day. It hits really hard even without boosting, and is probably the most splashable mega in the tier. "Opportunity cost" isn't really a thing when it's doing so much for the team, I think i can go without Ray when I can counter two huge nuisances in one pokemon.

S- ---> A+/A: No. SwagKey isn't as metagame defining sure, but it's certainly still relevant and powerful. I feel like the fact that we're ranking shit like Numel just to beat it says it all. It's the metagame's catch all for set-up really, I can't see too many relevant teams going without. Keep it in S-.

A ---> A+: Absolutely. Perish Trap is an absolute fucking nuisance to anything that cant 2HKO it, let alone Stallmons.It can trap Xern, any Arceus really (with Protect + Disable), Lugia, the list goes on. It's just good to a point of stupidity and I could even see it somewhere in S in the future.

B ---> B+: Eh. Aegislash is by no means an Ekiller check, as Trickster stated it's 2HKOed OHKOEd through shield. I'm really not sold on it doing much besides beating Xern and don't see that as B+ worthy alone, just about the entirety of S besides it trash it. I'd keep it B for now but I suppose I'm not opposed to a raise.

C ---> C-: Can we just drop this shit completely? It's a super duper niche mon that beats one thing that is currently being considered not as prominent and I could never see myself using it ironically.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
A bunch of updates:

Code:
Rayquaza-Mega S+ to S
Arceus-Normal S to S+
Diancie-Mega A+ to S-
Gengar-Mega A to A+
Sableye-Mega A- to A
Ho-Oh A- to A
Aegislash B to B+
Ditto B- to B
Numel C to C-
Still iffy upon the Klefki and Darkrai nominations. Think Giratina is fine where he is.

Now for discussion:

Is he truly worthy of S+?

Discuss

I'm not gonna comment on Groudon at the moment since 1. I'm kinda neutral and 2. Bigger things need to happen. My reasonings are gonna be barebones bc they all seem fairly obvious. Also bc I'm bad at drawing out posts like this.

Why are we ranking this????? Yes it has the "niche" of being bulkier than attack while harder hitting than speed but the question is is that even a niche? There's nothing relevant that OHKOes attack that 2HKOes normal that I can see, and really unless that list is a mile long im not sold. its just cluttering the list really.

Again why exactly are we ranking this? Especially in not the bottom subrank? It's literally made to beat one thing situationally, and it's beginning to be bad at that because of HP Water. It's an absolutely trash pokemon who we dont need to imply the usage of.

I feel like smeargle needs to go down at least a subrank or two, it can't really do much to a lot of common mons and has to rely on moody to be nice to do its job well.

I think we could do to drop a few Arceus formes down/off completely. Some have minor niches but stuff like Arceus-Bug doesn't really beat anything relevant in the AG metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)