LC Yungoos

[OVERVIEW]
Yungoos would be a wholly unremarkable Pokemon if not for its exclusive ability: Stakeout. Stakeout makes Yungoos's attacks do 50% more damage to a Pokémon on the switch in. Coupled with Yungoos's ability to learn Yawn and Pursuit, it can put the opponent in a difficult spot. In addition, Yungoos learns U-turn, allowing it to generate momentum for one's team if necessary.

However, Yungoos has worrisome bulk and middling Speed, which is bad news in a metagame where Fighting-types run rampant, as Yungoos is weak to them. Its attacks also don't have much power without a Stakeout boost, which relies on Yawn to function. In addition, while its role is interesting, it is very niche, meaning that it can't make much of an impact on every team. Lastly, other Normal-types such as Bunnelby and Zigzagoon are more flexible in terms of a role, further eclipsing Yungoos.

[SET]
name: Pseudo-trapper
move 1: Yawn
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Return
move 4: Earthquake / U-turn
item: Berry Juice
ability: Stakeout
nature: Adamant
evs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 36 SpD / 156 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Yawn either forces a switch and thereby makes the opponent take a Stakeout-boosted move or cripples the opposing Pokemon. Return does heavy damage when Stakeout activates. Pursuit is for heavily damaging an opposing Pokemon that tries to switch out of Yawn's effect. Earthquake hits many Pokemon that resist Yungoos's other attacks such as Steel- and Rock-types. U-turn is for fleeing a bad matchup against something that can heavily damage or KO Yungoos. Thief is also an option for snagging an item after Yungoos consumes its Berry Juice, but it has the same coverage as Pursuit and is typically inferior to Earthquake.

Set Details
========
Stakeout is Yungoos's exclusive ability that allows it to do 50% more damage to a Pokémon that switched into an attack. Berry Juice is for recovery if Yungoos takes damage, particularly on the turn it uses Yawn. The Speed investment allows Yungoos to hit a decent Speed tier, outspeeding threats such as Shellder and Vullaby, and an Adamant nature gives Yungoos enough power to function. For example, Yungoos has the possibility to OHKO Doduo with an unboosted Return.

Usage Tips
========
The entirety of Yungoos's competitive use is to do heavy damage with Stakeout. To that end, Yawn is the first play Yungoos should make; Berry Juice ensures that Yungoos can heal after it takes damage the turn it sets up Yawn. After the first turn, the foe can either switch out and take damage from Return or Pursuit or stay in and try to KO Yungoos, which will cause them to fall asleep afterwards. U-turn can also be used on a predicted switch-in to gain momentum for one's team.

Team Options
========
Ghost types, such a Pumpkaboo-XL, can tank most hits that heavily damage Yungoos and burn Yungoos checks such as Pawniard and Mienfoo; they are also immune to Fighting-type attacks, but Knock Off can be an issue. Diglett traps Earthquake-weak checks to Yungoos, such as Pawniard and Ponyta, and OHKOes them. It can also use Memento to pressure the opponent to switch if it's on its last legs. Entry hazard setters like Dwebble and Trubbish are appreciated, as they further damage switch-ins that replace the opposing Pokemon fleeing a Yawn. However, most entry hazard setters are also weak to Fighting-types, so steps should be taken to deal with them. Parting Shot users like Pancham and Alolan Meowth make even the most stubborn of opponents switch due to the fear of attacks being weak; Pancham is ideal, as it can tank a multitude of hits for Yungoos and hit Rock- and Steel-types super effectively. Checks to Fighting-types such as Spritzee and Foongus are bulky enough to absorb a Fighting-type attack and then do damage or induce status.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Yungoos's shallow movepool leaves it with very few alternative sets or options. Adaptability and Strong Jaw sets (Strong Jaw with Hyper Fang and Crunch), while not reliant on Yawn, are outclassed by other offensive Normal(types. A Choice Scarf set with moves such as Earthquake and Return is decent, but is outclassed by Bunnelby in all respects.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Fighting-types**: Almost all Fighting-types can tank a hit from Yungoos and then OHKO it with anything, but Mienfoo is particularly standout because Taunt prevents Yungoos from setting up a Yawn. Mienfoo can then OHKO Yungoos at its leisure.

**Steel-types**: Pokemon like Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Bronzor resist almost all of Yungoos's moves; although Bronzor and Pawniard dislike Pursuit and Earthquake, respectively, they do massive damage in return.

**Sleep Absorbers**: Anything with Sleep Talk, Vital Spirit, or Insomnia isn't afraid of Yawn, and can thus switch into Yungoos and retaliate. Physical Elekid is standout, as it can easily outspeed and OHKO Yungoos with Cross Chop.

**Burn Inducers**: Ponyta, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Larvesta can all tank most of Yungoo's hits and burn it back, effectively crippling it.

Last edited:
I am not QC but I think Protect should also be slashed in the last slot as it works well with Yawn. Good luck with this, Yungoos is really fun to use.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, there is not a real, good, or otherwise competitively relevant mon. make sure you emphasize this.

[OVERVIEW]
typing makes it hard to fit onto a team
0 defensive presence
There is not a real, good, or otherwise competitively relevant mon. make sure you emphasize this.

[SET]
i guess

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
i guess.
There is not a real, good, or otherwise competitively relevant mon. make sure you emphasize this.

Set Details
========
fine.

Usage Tips
========
good enough

Team Options
========
hazards & parting shot need mentions since punish switches and force switches

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
There is not a real, good, or otherwise competitively relevant mon. make sure you emphasize this and how OOs make Yungoose even worse

Checks and Counters
===================
steel types
not switching (mention heal bell even offsetting yawn's punishment for not switching)

QC: 1/3

So, there is not a real, good, or otherwise competitively relevant mon. make sure you emphasize this.

[OVERVIEW]
typing makes it hard to fit onto a team
0 defensive presence

[SET]
i guess

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
i guess.

Set Details
========
fine.

Usage Tips
========
good enough

Team Options
========
hazards & parting shot need mentions since punish switches and force switches

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
There is not a real, good, or otherwise competitively relevant mon. make sure you emphasize this and how OOs make Yungoose even worse

Checks and Counters
===================
steel types
not switching (mention heal bell even offsetting yawn's punishment for not switching)

QC: 1/3
It's been implemented! Thanks for the advice! :]

Sobi

Banned deucer.
*Bad bulk and mediocre speed
I would add that this is exacerbated by a poor typing and Defense stat in a Fighting-type-dominant metagame.

Also, your Checks & Counters section is formatted incorrectly - each of the headers should have ** around them, like "**Mienfoo**:".

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
overview
mention how as an offensive pokemon it's outclassed by most other normal types, so it doesn't have much of a niche

describe stake out in set details

add scarf to other options, with uturn, quake, return, pursuit. this is pretty much outclassed by bunnelby besides pursuit though.

2/3

overview
mention how as an offensive pokemon it's outclassed by most other normal types, so it doesn't have much of a niche

describe stake out in set details

add scarf to other options, with uturn, quake, return, pursuit. this is pretty much outclassed by bunnelby besides pursuit though.

2/3
It's been implemented! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Conni

katharsis
Change the thread tag to "Quality Control", this analysis isn't in the GP stage yet and this can confuse qc/gp members.

Thanks

Sorry for the long period of time, but I'm ready for my final QC. And then the GPs.

To be honest, I just want to finish this up so I can focus on Natu.

Sorry for the long period of time, but I'm ready for my final QC. And then the GPs.

To be honest, I just want to finish this up so I can focus on Natu.
Great work so far, but remove the bullet points. Since you've already written them up in paragraphs I think you have to remove them.

Great work so far, but remove the bullet points. Since you've already written them up in paragraphs I think you have to remove them.
That's for reference to the original for the final person who QCs if they want to put something from the original that was glossed over a little bit in the paragraphs. Once the QC is done, I'll delete them. Thanks for the imput tho :)

Message to all QC people,

Hi. To those in SPL, I hope you're having a fun time. Take your time doing QC checks, by all means. But I'd like to point out something. This thread is over a month old. It's an old man thread. I will admit partial blame that I was dumb and didn't type it up. But I really want to get this done. Yungoos has a cool ability, and it would be nice to see my analysis in the Dex. I humbly ask, please make it happen.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First off, I am very sorry for the wait. As you know, many QC members are in SPL, which interferes with their QC work, in addition to being busy with real life anyway. However, no excuses should be made. This should have been checked already, and we should have been more aware. In the future, I recommend joining the LC discord if you have the ability to do so, as it will make it easier for you to see what QC members are up to and potentially ask them to QC your analysis. Anyway, on to the check:

• Remove all bullet points from the analysis. I know you did that to help QC, and I appreciate the thought, but it's really not necessary. Part of the third QC check is making sure the write up is good, so the bullet points are not needed in the future.

[OVERVIEW]
  • Saying that Yungoos is Gen VIIs rodent is unecessary and doesn't add anything to the analysis. You can start with analysis with something like 'Thanks to Yungoos's signature ability of Stakeout, it can make it difficult for your opponent to switch out, as the switching will take a lot of damage.'
  • Why is its bad bulk and middling Speed a problem with Fighting-types? Mention its weakness to them.
  • Don't say it faces competition from regional rodents, say it faces competition from other Normal-types. I understand you're trying to add flavour, but focus on what Yungoos does.
  • Also mention that Yungoos is not incredibly powerful if its attacks aren't boosted by Stakeout, forcing to rely on Yawn to force switches and deal significant damage.
[SET]

• Earthquake is amazing for Yungoos, as it hits all kinds of things that check it, such as Steel-types like Pawniard, Rock-types like Tirtouga, Ponyta, Mareanie. U-turn is a great way to generate momentum for Yungoos's team.
  • You mention a Jolly nature in Set Details. I think Adamant is better than Jolly, as with the Adamant nature, Yungoos has a good chance to OHKO Doduo with Return even without a Stakeout boost, and Rufflet with a Stakeout boost.
  • You have 40 EVs leftover and 36 are enough to raise Special Defense by one point, so why not do that?
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Don't explicitly mention Stakeout here, that should go into set details. You can say something like 'Yawn forces an opponent to switch, allowing Yungoos to get off a Stakeout boosted attack', but don't explain what Stakeout does and why you chose it here.
  • Sleep Clause activating does not force your opponent to switch out; it makes Yawn fail if you have already put something asleep.
  • Mention that U-turn can be used to generate momentum for your team if used on a predicted switch, and that Yungoos's low Speed allows it to bring a teammate in without forcing them to take a hit.
  • Mention Earthquake here as a way to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Pawniard and Tirtouga, as well as other checks to Yungoos such as Ponyta and Mareanie super effectively.
  • Keep the Thief mention here, as stealing an opposing item can cripple them heavily and give Yungoos more longevity, but mention how it has the same coverage as Pursuit making it usually inferior to Earthquake and U-turn.
  • Remove Protect mention here, it's bad.

Set Details
========
  • Mention Stakeout here
  • Don't say that Berry Juice is useful in particular if hit by a priority move, just say it the recovery when Yungoos is low is nice.
  • Change the Jolly nature mention into an Adamant nature, and mention that the latter in combination with max Attack investment hits the calcs I mentioned in the set.
  • Don't say that the defensive investment allows Yungoos to take hits from most offensive Pokemon, it can't:
236+ Atk Doduo Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Yungoos: 22-27 (104.7 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
156 Atk Vullaby Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Yungoos: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
12 Atk Hustle Rufflet Superpower vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Yungoos: 34-42 (161.9 - 200%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • In stead, say that the leftover EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to slightly raise Yungoos's bulk
Usage Tips
========
  • Don't mention Sleep Clause, that's not how it works.
  • Mention that if an opponent stays in to try and KO Yungoos, they will fall asleep. The way you have it worded right now makes it sound like there's no downside.
  • Mention that, if it is run, U-turn can also be used on a predicted or forced switch to generate momentum for Yungoos's team.
Team Options
========
  • Do not refer to the C&C section when you mention Pumpkaboo. In stead, give examples of Yungoos checks that can be crippled by it here (Mienfoo and Pawniard). Also, change this point into a general Ghost-type point, as others like Frillish and Gastly can do the similar things.
  • Remove the point about Memento. Memento should almost never be used just to force a switch, as then you are sacrificing a Pokemon for one switch. That is pretty much never worth it. The Parting Shot point is good though, but change the example of the user to Pancham, as it synergises with Yungoos much better (not weak to Fighting, hits Rock and Steel super effectively, etc.)
  • Mention examples of Fighting-type checks, such as Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull or Poison-types like Foongus and Mareanie.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mention that the Strong Jaw set should utilize Hyper Fang and Crunch.
  • Your bullet point about the Choice Scarf set is good, but your written up version isn't. This version forces readers to look up Bunnelby's analysis to find out what the set is, which you don't want.
  • Mention that Yungoos's shallow movepool leaves it with very limited options.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Change the Mienfoo point into a general Fighting-type point. Do give Mienfoo a specific mention because of Taunt though.
  • Mention Ferroseed here, as it is not weak to EQ. Do say that Pawniard fears it.
  • Say that Pony, Pump, and Larv can take most of Yungoos's moves and then mention which ones they have to fear. Remove the Koffing mention, it's not relevant.
  • I think you should remove the 'Not Switching' section. The set you gave is based on giving opponents no choice but to switch, so this doesn't make much sense.

Because this such a big check, I don't want to give QC 3/3 just yet. Implement this, and then tag me or send me a PM and I'll give it a final check before sending you to GP.

First off, I am very sorry for the wait. As you know, many QC members are in SPL, which interferes with their QC work, in addition to being busy with real life anyway. However, no excuses should be made. This should have been checked already, and we should have been more aware. In the future, I recommend joining the LC discord if you have the ability to do so, as it will make it easier for you to see what QC members are up to and potentially ask them to QC your analysis. Anyway, on to the check:

• Remove all bullet points from the analysis. I know you did that to help QC, and I appreciate the thought, but it's really not necessary. Part of the third QC check is making sure the write up is good, so the bullet points are not needed in the future.

[OVERVIEW]
  • Saying that Yungoos is Gen VIIs rodent is unecessary and doesn't add anything to the analysis. You can start with analysis with something like 'Thanks to Yungoos's signature ability of Stakeout, it can make it difficult for your opponent to switch out, as the switching will take a lot of damage.'
  • Why is its bad bulk and middling Speed a problem with Fighting-types? Mention its weakness to them.
  • Don't say it faces competition from regional rodents, say it faces competition from other Normal-types. I understand you're trying to add flavour, but focus on what Yungoos does.
  • Also mention that Yungoos is not incredibly powerful if its attacks aren't boosted by Stakeout, forcing to rely on Yawn to force switches and deal significant damage.
[SET]

• Earthquake is amazing for Yungoos, as it hits all kinds of things that check it, such as Steel-types like Pawniard, Rock-types like Tirtouga, Ponyta, Mareanie. U-turn is a great way to generate momentum for Yungoos's team.
  • You mention a Jolly nature in Set Details. I think Adamant is better than Jolly, as with the Adamant nature, Yungoos has a good chance to OHKO Doduo with Return even without a Stakeout boost, and Rufflet with a Stakeout boost.
  • You have 40 EVs leftover and 36 are enough to raise Special Defense by one point, so why not do that?
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Don't explicitly mention Stakeout here, that should go into set details. You can say something like 'Yawn forces an opponent to switch, allowing Yungoos to get off a Stakeout boosted attack', but don't explain what Stakeout does and why you chose it here.
  • Sleep Clause activating does not force your opponent to switch out; it makes Yawn fail if you have already put something asleep.
  • Mention that U-turn can be used to generate momentum for your team if used on a predicted switch, and that Yungoos's low Speed allows it to bring a teammate in without forcing them to take a hit.
  • Mention Earthquake here as a way to hit Steel- and Rock-types such as Pawniard and Tirtouga, as well as other checks to Yungoos such as Ponyta and Mareanie super effectively.
  • Keep the Thief mention here, as stealing an opposing item can cripple them heavily and give Yungoos more longevity, but mention how it has the same coverage as Pursuit making it usually inferior to Earthquake and U-turn.
  • Remove Protect mention here, it's bad.

Set Details
========
  • Mention Stakeout here
  • Don't say that Berry Juice is useful in particular if hit by a priority move, just say it the recovery when Yungoos is low is nice.
  • Change the Jolly nature mention into an Adamant nature, and mention that the latter in combination with max Attack investment hits the calcs I mentioned in the set.
  • Don't say that the defensive investment allows Yungoos to take hits from most offensive Pokemon, it can't:
236+ Atk Doduo Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Yungoos: 22-27 (104.7 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
156 Atk Vullaby Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Yungoos: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
12 Atk Hustle Rufflet Superpower vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Yungoos: 34-42 (161.9 - 200%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • In stead, say that the leftover EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to slightly raise Yungoos's bulk
Usage Tips
========
  • Don't mention Sleep Clause, that's not how it works.
  • Mention that if an opponent stays in to try and KO Yungoos, they will fall asleep. The way you have it worded right now makes it sound like there's no downside.
  • Mention that, if it is run, U-turn can also be used on a predicted or forced switch to generate momentum for Yungoos's team.
Team Options
========
  • Do not refer to the C&C section when you mention Pumpkaboo. In stead, give examples of Yungoos checks that can be crippled by it here (Mienfoo and Pawniard). Also, change this point into a general Ghost-type point, as others like Frillish and Gastly can do the similar things.
  • Remove the point about Memento. Memento should almost never be used just to force a switch, as then you are sacrificing a Pokemon for one switch. That is pretty much never worth it. The Parting Shot point is good though, but change the example of the user to Pancham, as it synergises with Yungoos much better (not weak to Fighting, hits Rock and Steel super effectively, etc.)
  • Mention examples of Fighting-type checks, such as Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull or Poison-types like Foongus and Mareanie.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mention that the Strong Jaw set should utilize Hyper Fang and Crunch.
  • Your bullet point about the Choice Scarf set is good, but your written up version isn't. This version forces readers to look up Bunnelby's analysis to find out what the set is, which you don't want.
  • Mention that Yungoos's shallow movepool leaves it with very limited options.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Change the Mienfoo point into a general Fighting-type point. Do give Mienfoo a specific mention because of Taunt though.
  • Mention Ferroseed here, as it is not weak to EQ. Do say that Pawniard fears it.
  • Say that Pony, Pump, and Larv can take most of Yungoos's moves and then mention which ones they have to fear. Remove the Koffing mention, it's not relevant.
  • I think you should remove the 'Not Switching' section. The set you gave is based on giving opponents no choice but to switch, so this doesn't make much sense.

Because this such a big check, I don't want to give QC 3/3 just yet. Implement this, and then tag me or send me a PM and I'll give it a final check before sending you to GP.
Alright AD Thunderboy, I believe I implemented everything. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! :)

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Don't say Catch 22, it's vague. Use 'difficult situation' in stead
  • Don't mention Thief here, U-turn is better, as it generates momentum
[SET]
name: Pseudo Trapper
move 4: Earthquake / U-Turn
evs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
  • As I said before, don't slash Thief. Just keep it as a mention in the Moves section, but don't slash it in the set
  • I know it seems weird that I am changing the EV spread again, but you're gonna want max Speed on Yungoos, especially since it is very frail even with investment
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Your wording in your first sentence is weird. Change it to 'Yawn either forces a switch, meaning the switchin will take a Stakeout boosted move, or heavily cripples Yungoos's foe'
  • Mention U-turn before Thief
Set Details
========
  • Don't just say what Stakeout does, say what it does on this set: 'Stakeout allows Yungoos to deal significant damage to any mon that switches into it, and synergises very nicely with Yawn.'
  • Change the mention of the EV spread. Mention that the EV spread allows Yungoos to hit 14 Speed, allowing it to outspeed certain threats like Shellder and Vullaby.
  • Mention that the defensive investment raises both Defense and Special Defense by one point, thus slightly raising Yungoos's bulk
Usage Tips
========

good

Team Options
========
  • Mention that Ghost-types help Yungoos due to being immune to Fighting-type moves.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Start off with saying that Yungoos's shallow movepool leaves it with limited options.
  • Don't mention that the Scarf set is similar to Bunnelby's, just mention that it is outclassed by it.
  • The last paragraph should be removed entirely, it doesn't fit here.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • 'Pawniard also' you're missing the last part of the sentence here (I assume you were gonna say it has to fear EQ, which is good)
  • Remove the part in brackets in the 'Burn Inducers' section
Implement all this, then QC 3/3, onward to TDP's goons
QC Stamp final.gif

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
  • Don't say Catch 22, it's vague. Use 'difficult situation' in stead
  • Don't mention Thief here, U-turn is better, as it generates momentum
[SET]
move 4: Earthquake / U-Turn
evs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
  • As I said before, don't slash Thief. Just keep it as a mention in the Moves section, but don't slash it in the set
  • I know it seems weird that I am changing the EV spread again, but you're gonna want max Speed on Yungoos, especially since it is very frail even with investment
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Your wording in your first sentence is weird. Change it to 'Yawn either forces a switch, meaning the switchin will take a Stakeout boosted move, or heavily cripples Yungoos's foe'
  • Mention U-turn before Thief
Set Details
========
  • Don't just say what Stakeout does, say what it does on this set: 'Stakeout allows Yungoos to deal significant damage to any mon that switches into it, and synergises very nicely with Yawn.'
  • Change the mention of the EV spread. Mention that the EV spread allows Yungoos to hit 14 Speed, allowing it to outspeed certain threats like Shellder and Vullaby.
  • Mention that the defensive investment raises both Defense and Special Defense by one point, thus slightly raising Yungoos's bulk
Usage Tips
========

good

Team Options
========
  • Mention that Ghost-types help Yungoos due to being immune to Fighting-type moves.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Start off with saying that Yungoos's shallow movepool leaves it with limited options.
  • Don't mention that the Scarf set is similar to Bunnelby's, just mention that it is outclassed by it.
  • The last paragraph should be removed entirely, it doesn't fit here.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • 'Pawniard also' you're missing the last part of the sentence here (I assume you were gonna say it has to fear EQ, which is good)
  • Remove the part in brackets in the 'Burn Inducers' section
Implement all this, then QC 3/3, onward to TDP's goons
View attachment 77323
thankyouthankyouthankyou

Now we just need some brave GP person to start checking this. Like The Dutch Plumberjack.

Now we wait.

GP 1/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]
Yungoos would be a wholly unremarkable Pokemon if not for its exclusive ability: Stakeout. Stakeout makes Yungoos's attacks do 50% more damage to a Pokémon that on the switches in. Compiled Coupled with its Yungoos's ability to learn Yawn and Pursuit, it can put the opponent in a difficult spot. In addition, Yungoos also learns U-Turn turn, (U-turn and V-create are the only hyphenated moves that don't have both words capitalized) allowing it to generate momentum for one's team if necessary.

However, Yungoos is not without flaws. It (unnecessary fluff) has worrysome worrisome bulk and middling Speed, which is bad news in a metagame where Fighting-(hyphen)types run rampant, as Yungoos is weak to them. Its attacks also don't have much power without a Stakeout boost, which relies on Yawn to function. TheIn addition, while its role is interesting, it is very niche, meaning that it doesn't make much of an impact. Lastly, other Normal-(hyphen)types such as Bunnelby and Zigzagoon are more flexible in terms of a role, further eclipsing Yungoos.

[SET]
move 4: Earthquake(space)/(space)U-Turn turn
evs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 36 SpDef / 156 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Yawn either forces a switch and thereby forces makes the opponent to take a Stakeout-(hyphen)boosted move, (comma) or cripples the opposing Pokemon. Return is a powerful STAB attack that does heavy damage when Stakeout activates. Pursuit is for heavily damaging an opposing Pokemon that tries to switch out of a Yawn-induced sleep Yawn's effect. Earthquake is a power strong attack that hits many Pokemon that resist Yungoos's (it's only when the word is plural and ends with s that there's just an apostrophe) attacks, (comma) (sometimes you do want a comma there, but here it just disrupts the flow) such as Steel-(hyphen) and Rock-(hyphen)types. U-Turn turn is for fleeing a bad matchup against something that can heavily damage or KO Yungoos. Thief is also an option for snagging an item after Yungoos comsumes its Berry Juice, but it has the same coverage as Pursuit, (comma) and is typically inferior to Earthquake.

Set Details
========
Stakeout is Yungoos's exclusive ability that allows an attack it to do 50% more damage to a Pokémon that switched into aphormentioned an attack, (comma) which synergizes perfectly with Yawn, allowing Yungoos to force switches and then deal heavy damage. (this is already explained twice) Berry Juice is for recovery if Yungoos takes damage, particularly in on the turn it sets up uses Yawn. The Speed investment allows you Yungoos ("you" refers to the player) to hit a decent speed Speed tier, outspeeding threats such as Shellder and Vullaby, while and an Adamant Nature allotts you gives Yungoos a chance to perform in such ways do such things as possibly OHKOing Doduo with an unboosted Return. Defensive The Defense investment slightly raises bulk, although but Yungoos is still frail otherwise. (Is there any important KO it avoids with the bulk? I think that would be good to mention)

Usage Tips
========
The entirety of Yungoos's competive capability competitive use is to do heavy damage with Stakeout. To that end, Yawn is the first play and Yungoos should make; Berry Juice ensures that Yungoos can heal after it takes damage the turn it sets up Yawn. After the first turn, the opponent foe can either switch out and take damage via from Return or Pursuit or stay in and try to KO Yungoos, which they will cause them to fall asleep after doing. U-Turn turn can also be used on a predicted switch-in to gain momentum for one's team.

Team Options
========
Ghost types, such a Pumpkaboo-XL, can tank most hits that can heavily damage Yungoos and burn Yungoos checks such as Pawniard and Mienfoo; they are also immune to Fighting-(hyphen)type attacks, although but Knock Off can be an issue. Diglett traps Earthquake-weak checks to Yungoos, such as Pawniard and Ponyta, and OHKOes (OHKOs is a plural noun, OHKOes is the verb) them. It can also use Memento to pressure the opponent to switch with Memento if Diglett is it's on its last legs. Hazard Entry hazard (we use "entry hazards" instead of just "hazards" for clarity's sake) setters like Dwebble and Trubbish are appreciated, as they further damage switch-ins that replace the opposing Pokemon fleeing a Yawn. However, most entry hazard setters are also weak to Fighting-(hyphen)types, so steps should be taken to deal with them. Parting Shot users like Pancham and Alolan Meowth make even the most stubborn of opponents switch with due to the fear of attacks being weak; Pancham is ideal, as it can tank a multitude of hits for Yungoos and can supereffectively hit Rock or Steel types Rock- and Steel-types super effectively. Fighting type checks Checks to Fighting-types such as Spritzee and Foongus are bulky enough to absorb a Fighting-(hyphen)type attack and then do damage or induce status.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Yungoos' shallow movepool leaves it with very few alternate alternative sets or options. (period) Adaptability and Strong Jaw sets (Strong Jaw with Hyper Fang and Crunch), while they don't rely not reliant on Yawn, are outclassed by other offensive Normal-(hyphen)types. A Choice Scarf set with moves such as Earthquake and Return is decent, but is outclassed by Bunnelby in all respects.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Fighting-types Types**: Almost all Fighting-(hyphen)types can tank a hit from Yungoos and then OHKO it with anything, but Mienfoo is particularly standout because Taunt prevents Yungoos from setting up a Yawn. Mienfoo can then OHKO Yungoos at its leisure.

**Steel-types Types**: Pokémon Pokemon (we don't use the accent in analyses) like Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Bronzor resist almost all of Yungoos's moves,; (comma) (semicolon) although Bronzor and Pawniard dislike Thief and Earthquake, respectively, they do massive damage in return dislikes Thieving of its Berry Juice, and it can also deal sizable amounts of damage in return; Pawniard also hates Yungoos' moves, although it is Earthquake in this case.

**Sleep Absorbers**: Anything with RestTalk Sleep Talk, Vital Spirit, (comma) or Insomnia isn't afraid of Yawn, and can switch into it and retaliate. Physical Elekid is standout, as it can easily outspeed and OHKO Yungoos with Cross Chop.

**Burn Inducers**: Ponyta, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Larvesta can all tank most of Yungoo's hits and burn it back, effectively crippling it.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
placeholder

edit: actually n, it doesn't look like you've fully implemented cryo's check. you should implement via the Reply button. lemme know when done

placeholder

edit: actually n, it doesn't look like you've fully implemented cryo's check. you should implement via the Reply button. lemme know when done
What parts of the GP check did I miss?

Also, and perhaps more importantly, by "implement via the reply button," you mean...? (sorry for not realizing)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
second paragraph of the overview at least, looking again i think you got the rest? by Reply I mean quote Cryo's post, like you quoted mine in your above post. that copies all of the text and formatting in his check. delete all of the red stuff, use the Tx button (to the left of Bold) on the blue stuff. this way you shouldn't miss anything, and it takes like 5 min.

I covered this process and had some screenshots in my Guide to the GP Process in the main C&C subforum. if you have more questions let me know

GP 1/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]
Yungoos would be a wholly unremarkable Pokemon if not for its exclusive ability: Stakeout. Stakeout makes Yungoos's attacks do 50% more damage to a Pokémon on the switch in. Coupled with Yungoos's ability to learn Yawn and Pursuit, it can put the opponent in a difficult spot. In addition, Yungoos learns U-turn, allowing it to generate momentum for one's team if necessary.

However, Yungoos worrisome bulk and middling Speed, which is bad news in a metagame where Fighting-types run rampant, as Yungoos is weak to them. Its attacks also don't have much power without a Stakeout boost, which relies on Yawn to function. In addition, while its role is interesting, it is very niche, meaning that it doesn't make much of an impact. Lastly, other Normal-types such as Bunnelby and Zigzagoon are more flexible in terms of a role, further eclipsing Yungoos.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Yawn either forces a switch and thereby makes the opponent take a Stakeout-boosted move or cripples the opposing Pokemon. Return is a powerful STAB attack that does heavy damage when Stakeout activates. Pursuit is for heavily damaging an opposing Pokemon that tries to switch out of Yawn's effect. Earthquake is a powerful attack that hits many Pokemon that resist Yungoos's attacks such as Steel- and Rock-types. U-turn is for fleeing a bad matchup against something that can heavily damage or KO Yungoos. Thief is also an option for snagging an item after Yungoos comsumes its Berry Juice, but it has the same coverage as Pursuit and is typically inferior to Earthquake.

Set Details
========
Stakeout is Yungoos's exclusive ability that allows it to do 50% more damage to a Pokémon that switched into an attack. Berry Juice is for recovery if Yungoos takes damage, particularly on the turn it uses Yawn. The Speed investment allows Yungoos to hit a decent Speed tier, outspeeding threats such as Shellder and Vullaby, and an Adamant Nature gives Yungoos a chance to do such things as possibly OHKO Doduo with an unboosted Return. The Defense investment slightly raises bulk, but Yungoos is still frail.

Usage Tips
========
The entirety of Yungoos's competitive use is to do heavy damage with Stakeout. To that end, Yawn is the first play Yungoos should make; Berry Juice ensures that Yungoos can heal after it takes damage the turn it sets up Yawn. After the first turn, the foe can either switch out and take damage from Return or Pursuit or stay in and try to KO Yungoos, which will cause them to fall asleep after doing. U-turn can also be used on a predicted switch-in to gain momentum for one's team.

Team Options
========
Ghost types, such a Pumpkaboo-XL, can tank most hits that heavily damage Yungoos and burn Yungoos checks such as Pawniard and Mienfoo; they are also immune to Fighting-type attacks, but Knock Off can be an issue. Diglett traps Earthquake-weak checks to Yungoos, such as Pawniard and Ponyta, and OHKOes them. It can also use Memento to pressure the opponent to switch if it's on its last legs. Entry hazard setters like Dwebble and Trubbish are appreciated, as they further damage switch-ins that replace the opposing Pokemon fleeing a Yawn. However, most entry hazard setters are also weak to Fighting-types, so steps should be taken to deal with them. Parting Shot users like Pancham and Alolan Meowth make even the most stubborn of opponents switch due to the fear of attacks being weak; Pancham is ideal, as it can tank a multitude of hits for Yungoos and hit Rock- and Steel-types super effectively. Checks to Fighting-types such as Spritzee and Foongus are bulky enough to absorb a Fighting-type attack and then do damage or induce status.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Yungoos' shallow movepool leaves it with very few alternative sets or options. Adaptability and Strong Jaw sets (Strong Jaw with Hyper Fang and Crunch), while not reliant on Yawn, are outclassed by other offensive Normal-(types. A Choice Scarf set with moves such as Earthquake and Return is decent, but is outclassed by Bunnelby in all respects.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Fighting-types**: Almost all Fighting-types can tank a hit from Yungoos and then OHKO it with anything, but Mienfoo is particularly standout because Taunt prevents Yungoos from setting up a Yawn. Mienfoo can then OHKO Yungoos at its leisure.

**Steel-types**: Pokemon like Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Bronzor resist almost all of Yungoos's moves; although Bronzor and Pawniard dislike Pursuit and Earthquake, respectively, they do massive damage in return.

**Sleep Absorbers**: Anything with Sleep Talk, Vital Spirit, or Insomnia isn't afraid of Yawn, and can switch into it and retaliate. Physical Elekid is standout, as it can easily outspeed and OHKO Yungoos with Cross Chop.

Now it's been implemented; thanks for the help, CryoGyro and P Squared!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Schmedly

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

However, Yungoos has worrisome bulk and middling Speed, which is bad news in a metagame where Fighting-types run rampant, as Yungoos is weak to them. Its attacks also don't have much power without a Stakeout boost, which relies on Yawn to function. In addition, while its role is interesting, it is very niche, meaning that it doesn't can't make much of an impact on every team. Lastly, other Normal-types such as Bunnelby and Zigzagoon are more flexible in terms of a role, further eclipsing Yungoos.

[SET]
name: Pseudo-trapper

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Yawn either forces a switch and thereby makes the opponent take a Stakeout-boosted move or cripples the opposing Pokemon. Return is a powerful STAB attack that does heavy damage when Stakeout activates. Pursuit is for heavily damaging an opposing Pokemon that tries to switch out of Yawn's effect. Earthquake is a powerful attack that hits many Pokemon that resist Yungoos's other attacks such as Steel- and Rock-types. U-turn is for fleeing a bad matchup against something that can heavily damage or KO Yungoos. Thief is also an option for snagging an item after Yungoos consumes its Berry Juice, but it has the same coverage as Pursuit and is typically inferior to Earthquake.

Set Details
========
Stakeout is Yungoos's exclusive ability that allows it to do 50% more damage to a Pokémon that switched into an attack. Berry Juice is for recovery if Yungoos takes damage, particularly on the turn it uses Yawn. The Speed investment allows Yungoos to hit a decent Speed tier, outspeeding threats such as Shellder and Vullaby, and an Adamant nature gives Yungoos a chance to do such things as possibly enough power to function. For example, Yungoos has the possibility to OHKO Doduo with an unboosted Return. The Defense investment slightly raises bulk, but Yungoos is still frail. Why include it then? Is it just leftover that wouldnt make a difference elsewhere, or is it for surviving something important?

Usage Tips
========
The entirety of Yungoos's competitive use is to do heavy damage with Stakeout. To that end, Yawn is the first play Yungoos should make; Berry Juice ensures that Yungoos can heal after it takes damage the turn it sets up Yawn. After the first turn, the foe can either switch out and take damage from Return or Pursuit or stay in and try to KO Yungoos, which will cause them to fall asleep afterwards doing. U-turn can also be used on a predicted switch-in to gain momentum for one's team.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Yungoos's shallow movepool leaves it with very few alternative sets or options. Adaptability and Strong Jaw sets (Strong Jaw with Hyper Fang and Crunch), while not reliant on Yawn, are outclassed by other offensive Normal-(types. A Choice Scarf set with moves such as Earthquake and Return is decent, but is outclassed by Bunnelby in all respects.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Sleep Absorbers**: Anything with Sleep Talk, Vital Spirit, or Insomnia isn't afraid of Yawn, and can thus switch into it Yungoos and retaliate. Physical Elekid is standout, as it can easily outspeed and OHKO Yungoos with Cross Chop.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)