Yet Another Doubles Idea

So I'm aiming for my first VGCs this year and i've been bouncing team ideas around for a while. This is my newest one.
My previous one, which worked extremely well centered around Dream World Hitmonlee, but until that's released, I can't use it.
Because DW Lee doesn't appear like it's going to be available to me any time soon, i had to improvise. I replaced him with Tyranitar, Cresselia with Garchomp, and edited Whimsicott. So here it goes :)

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
My primary reasoning for him was to set up Sandstorm for Garchomp. Then I gave him Protect, Thunder Wave, for crippling my opponent's team speed-wise, and his two STABS, Rock Slide and Crunch. He's the newest member of the team, still in testing, and very much open to suggestions.

Whimsicott (F) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Helping Hand
- Encore
The ultimate troll pokemon. Previously, he would use Swagger on Hitmonlee, activating his Lum Berry, which activated Unburden, which - in the end - doubles his attack and speed in the first turn. Without Lee, I put in Tailwind for Swagger and changed Focus Sash to Mental herb to prevent getting taunted from speed ties with other Whimsicott. Priority Taunt and Encore are amazing, and Helping Hand is obviously just for support.

Rotom-W @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
This is mostly a standard set but with one key difference (in my opinion): Life Orb. Most people use Leftovers, but i find that when he wants to recover HP, Pain Split is the way to go. It's got great coverage, particularly against Rain teams bar Ludicolo, and hits harder than the standard ones. I wish I could go with Thunder over T-bolt, but I feel like relying on the popularity of rain to boost accuracy is too risky. The only significant change i could see making is switching to Leftovers + Protect instead of LO + Pain Split, but so far this set has done exceptionally well.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Pursuit
Rather standard, but only becaue it's amazingly powerful. I opt to use Bug bite over U-Turn for the opportunity hit the next guy who comes in. While he IS destroyed by almost any fire-type attack, he's got Heatran to back him up with Flash Fire. Also, there was this one time where he survived a HP Fire I think from a Venasaur....i don't know how. Probably a mistake lol

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dragon Pulse
You WISH you could have lava dripping from your mouth, but instead you're just watching Heatran do it. he originally came in to be a switch in for Fire-attacks targeted at Scizor, but has actually done quite a bit more. He packs quite a punch with STAB Heat Wave. My logic for his moveset was simple: Dragon Pulse hits everything but Steel for neutral damage, Fire, Ground, and Fighting hit Steels = problem solved. It still makes sense it my mind, but I'd be willing to change something if it got better Super Effective coverage.

Garchomp (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
Another very new addition to the team. I knew he was allowed in VGC but I never really considered him because it was difficult to test him when he's in Ubers on PO. So far, so good. he's fast, hits hard, and sand veil gets the hax i was hoping for. He is new though and I'm afraid his coverage is redundant with the rest of my team, so I'll keep testing and sees how it goes.

So that's my team. here are some concerns that still need to be fixed:
1. Who is Life orb more valuable to: Rotom or Chomp and what do I give the other one?
2. Whimsicott's and Tyranitar's items are up for grabs
3. I know I should get protect on more pokemon, but i don't know what to get rid of. Protect usually seems like such a waste to me.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I tried and for some reason they won't come out :/ not important enough to stress about though
So I'm open to any critique or commentary you have to give me. Thanks, I really appreciate it. :)

Just a suggestion, have the rotom hold the orb and chomp hold a razor fang. Chomp has a good speed, evasion, and chance of flinching would help.
Also, you're rocking 2 steel types, and a tyranitar, yet you have no flying or psychic moves to take care of fighting types, I would recommend hurricane replacing encore on whimsucott

Just a suggestion, have the rotom hold the orb and chomp hold a razor fang. Chomp has a good speed, evasion, and chance of flinching would help.
Also, you're rocking 2 steel types, and a tyranitar, yet you have no flying or psychic moves to take care of fighting types, I would recommend hurricane replacing encore on whimsucott
I don't know How much Hurricane would help, because it has no attack EVs, and Hurricane is naturally unaccuracy. Another suggestion, you can give him Brightpowder/Lax Incense and Double Team and watch the lulz ensue.

Altogether a decent team, although It seems to have a large weakness to Earthquake and fighting moves, which can effectively take out 1/2 your team. I would suggest replacing earthquake on Garchomp for something else, because noone on your team(except Rotom) takes it well, as even with HP EVs, Whimsicott is not bulky enough to take multiple earthquakes on top of you opponents attacks. and there are the things that will have rotom get screwed by it too(Gravity, Smackdown, Tricked an Iron ball on, etc..) so I would suggest getting rid of it altogether. besides that, I see no major problems

Good luck and I hope I helped!

Don't listen to what Francois said, he has no idea how to play this game, which is obvious from his RMT (He used a mind plate on Claydol). I say keep the items, but change Rotom-W to a more defensive Rotom as this would balance your team out a bit more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)