Other XY OU Victim of the Week [WEEK 6 (Read post #181)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bumped into many Megazar Y leads. Usually what happens is something like this.

phys defensive Wobbuffet vs megazard-y

Charizard megavolved into megazard-y

megazard used fire blast

wobbuffet lost 90% of his hp

wobbuffet used encore

wobbuffet, come back!

go, CB ttar!

megazard used fire blast

it's not very effective

ttar used pursuit

megazard lost 94% of his health

So yeah, while losing most of my wobbs health is less then ideal, I do get a free kill with ttar.

ttar in general is a phenomenal counter to this guy because he doesn't care about solarbeam, dragon pulse or flamethrower and can take an EQ, not so sure about focus miss tho. He has pursuit, which stops him from setting up more weather later if he tries to escape his fate.

Moltres Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Calm nature
248 HP, 56 Def, 108 SpD
-Substitute
-Roost
-Flamethrower
-Toxic

Takes anything luke has usually to offer barring cc after stealth rocks. And OHKOs back with Flamethrower. SR isn't that hard to remove anyway, if sr on field, rs and sack spinner if luke comes into it, they usually expect switch and rarely set beyond +2. This Moltres can take even adamant +2 CC. Been using it a lot and even with sr up it can face special lukes no problem (barring dark pulse flinch hax), physicals require Spin/defog support, but it isn't that hard to keep hazards away. The beauty of this thing is that it can take a lot of other threats along with mega luke as well.

Obviously, there's Tyranitar and specially defensive Hippowdon. Both can come in and cancel out sun. Tyranitar wins against any that don't that don't have Focus Blast, otherwise it needs Assault Vest to avoid the OHKO and OHKO back with Stone Edge. Specially defensive Hippowdon walls it, and can run Stone Edge to outright OHKO it.

Impish Tyranitar can also beat X-zard, as long as it's not carrying Brick Break. Specially defensive Hippowdon can also sort of kind of beat X-zard. +1 Outrage or Flare Blitz does 78.8 - 93%, but Hippowdon's uninvested Earthquake only does 73.1 - 86.5% so it's 2HKOed either way. Life Orb Hippowdon new meta? But still makes it much easier for something else to come in and revenge kill, and it can't switch in again if Stealth Rocks are up. Both are 2HKOed by Outrage, though, but I've never seen anyone use that right on turn one.

Last edited:
Oh, you're not making new threads for each one? Not everyone is going to see the topic is on Char Y now, things might get hectic.

Aerodactyl@Aerodactite
Tough Claws
Jolly 224 HP / 252 At / 32 Spd
~ Stone Edge/Rock Slide
~ Roost
~ Earthquake/Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang/Thunder Fang

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 158-187 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl in Sun: 164-193 (45.9 - 54%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO

Aerodactyl soars over Earthquake, resists Fire Blast and is neutral to Solar Beam. He can safely come in on any attack even with Stealth Rock and safely Roost stall or if he switches out, or outright kill with your STAB Rock move of choice. Max speed with Adamant is perfectly fine too, this is just a bulky variant of Aero that still outspeeds Greninja. Adamant with 168 Spd EVs gets the same speed number and higher At.

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
Sandstream
Adamant 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
~ Crunch/Pursuit
~ Stone Edge
~ Stealth Rock
~ Superpower/Fire Blast/Ice Beam

4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 138-164 (34.1 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 68-82 (16.8 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 46-55 (11.3 - 13.6%) -- possible 8HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 272-324 (67.3 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar always changes Char Y's selling point, Sun, into Sand. Even if they both lead Tyranitar being slower ensures Sand as the weather. Earthquake can't even 2HKO with Stealth Rock without heavy investment and sand ruins Solarbeam, becoming a 2 turn 60 BP move. Even if Char Y switched into Tyranitar (for some reason) and gets sun up, Assault Vest still makes Solar Beam a 2HKO, forcing you to rely on Focus Blast, which still can't KO with Sand up. If you predict a retreat you could Pursuit for good damage, or throw Rocks up to take out 50% of his health the next time he tries to come in.

Oh, you're not making new threads for each one? Not everyone is going to see the topic is on Char Y now, things might get hectic.

Aerodactyl@Aerodactite
Tough Claws
Jolly 224 HP / 252 At / 32 Spd
~ Stone Edge/Rock Slide
~ Roost
~ Earthquake/Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang/Thunder Fang

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 158-187 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl in Sun: 164-193 (45.9 - 54%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO

Aerodactyl soars over Earthquake, resists Fire Blast and is neutral to Solar Beam. He can safely come in on any attack even with Stealth Rock and safely Roost stall or if he switches out, or outright kill with your STAB Rock move of choice. Max speed with Adamant is perfectly fine too, this is just a bulky variant of Aero that still outspeeds Greninja. Adamant with 168 Spd EVs gets the same speed number and higher At.

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
Sandstream
Adamant 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
~ Crunch/Pursuit
~ Stone Edge
~ Stealth Rock
~ Superpower/Fire Blast/Ice Beam

4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 138-164 (34.1 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 68-82 (16.8 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 46-55 (11.3 - 13.6%) -- possible 8HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 272-324 (67.3 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar always changes Char Y's selling point, Sun, into Sand. Even if they both lead Tyranitar being slower ensures Sand as the weather. Earthquake can't even 2HKO with Stealth Rock without heavy investment and sand ruins Solarbeam, becoming a 2 turn 60 BP move. Even if Char Y switched into Tyranitar (for some reason) and gets sun up, Assault Vest still makes Solar Beam a 2HKO, forcing you to rely on Focus Blast, which still can't KO with Sand up. If you predict a retreat you could Pursuit for good damage, or throw Rocks up to take out 50% of his health the next time he tries to come in.
Assault vest does not allow stealth rocks afaik, but the rest I whole agree with. 10/10 would repost.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Agreeing with Jaroda, Labyrinthine wouldn't it be best to start an entirely new discussion each week? The thread will get awfully messy (and long) otherwise. It would also be nice to highlight some of the best checks/counters found at the end of each weekly victim's thread!

Anyway as for Char-Y, it's easily one of the most difficult Pokemon to switch into. Fire Blast is absurdly powerful in Sun and with Charizard's great coverage, nearly nothing is safe. Politoed, TTar, and SpD Hippo all work, but they only work if Charizard has already mega-evolved, or otherwise their weather will be replaced by Sun and they risk eating a boosted Fire Blast or Solarbeam! Blissey/Chansey have already been mentioned, so how about something like:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Sap Sipper
Modest Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

AV Goodra is an excellent counter to Charizard-Y. It can safely switch into any attack Char-Y has to offer, taking little damage from a Sun-boosted Fire Blast. Even Char-Y's Dragon Pulse deals pitiful damage. Goodra can then comfortably 2HKO in return with Thunderbolt:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Sun: 74-87 (19.2 - 22.6%)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 102-122 (26.5 - 31.7%)
4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 100-118 (26 - 30.7%)

252+ SpA Goodra Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 170-202 (57 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The risk with Goodra (and Chansey, Blissey, and many others) is that they will fall to Char-X, so you need to pay close attention to the opponent's team and when they switch in to know which type you're facing.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shroomisaur: I'm opposed to creating a thread each new week as it means as soon as we finish discussing counters for a single Pokemon set, a new thread would have to be added. The OP will be kept updated (as well as the title w/ the week) to ensure that there is as little confusion as possible. In a bit I'll update the "Previous weeks" section (and do it in further wrap-ups) with a summary of the best available counters. As for your entry, Goodra was a great pick!

Tyranitar always changes Char Y's selling point, Sun, into Sand. Even if they both lead Tyranitar being slower ensures Sand as the weather.
If both Tyranitar and Charizard Y lead, Charizard's sun would overwrite Ttar's sand because it will be coming in as regular Charizard. Drought wouldn't activate until Charizard mega evolves.

cress
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 187-222 (42.1 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

so u can use twave then moonlight to heal till sun is gone. then slowly kill it with an attack

Tyranitar is far from a reliable counter to smart CharY players. Focus Blast is as a clean a 2hko as focus blast can be. MegaEvolving is also a great tool to win the weather war, although staying in to solarbeam can be a suicide mission depending on how much damage you've been able to accumulate. Between focus blast/earthquake and the tactical advantage a mega evolving CharY gives against the obvious T-Tar switch, CharY has plenty of opportunity to come out on top. Roost adds another dimension of protection giving some room against rocks and being pursuit trapped. All that being said, T-Tar is still one of the best switches to CharY. I've found I really value something that is able to come in on the initial fire blast / focus blast to allow tyranitar to come in on the evolved CharY.

I believe Rotom H is the best counter to CharY. A specially defensive set really doesn't give a shit about anything CharY throws at it and can slow volt out of there to your fast check if it wants to be cute and roost up. Pain Split allows further play against those roosts.

I love Rotom H in this meta. The decrease in water spammage and prevalence of strong flying and to a lesser extent fire type attacks, volt-turn and wow make his typing pretty awesome despite the rock weakness.

the best part is, is that Rotom-H does not need full bulk to act as a counter to CharY. I've used bulky specs to a good amount of success while maintaining a very favorable matchup against CharY, and even scarf can absorb a hit and threaten with thunderbolt/volt switch.

The biggest selling point to Rotom H though is Genesect. He is everywhere and Rotom H doesn't give a crap about him. I haven't found anything that comes as close to negating the momentum Genesect wins like Rotom H can. I know that Genesect is not the discussion point right now, but Rotom H's relevance beyond countering CharY is very important. Not having to rely on some weird niche build or pokemon with few alternative uses is a great thing to be able to afford.

Victim of the Week #2
Perhaps one of the most fearsome wallbreakers currently available in OU: Mega Charizard Y.

Mega Charizard-Y @ Charzardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast
- Earthquake / Roost
How about Chandelure?

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD /252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice

Mega-Y sets that are running Fire Blast / Solar Beam / Focus Blast / Roost are completely walled by this set.
Even Earthquake fails to net a clean OHKO on it
0 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 162-192 (62 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In response Chandelure outspeeds and nets a 2HKO on Mega-Y
252+ SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 143-168 (47.9 - 56.3%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

^ This becomes guaranteed 2HKO if you get a Flash Fire on the switch

In short if Chandelure comes in on a Fire Blast it can either scare out Mega-Y and punch holes in the enemy team with a sun boosted Flash Fired Fire Blast coming off a nuclear high SpA stat or beat out Mega-Y 1v1 aside from some bad RNG.

Moltres Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Calm nature
248 HP, 56 Def, 108 SpD
-Substitute
-Roost
-Flamethrower
-Toxic

Takes anything luke has usually to offer barring cc after stealth rocks. And OHKOs back with Flamethrower. SR isn't that hard to remove anyway, if sr on field, rs and sack spinner if luke comes into it, they usually expect switch and rarely set beyond +2. This Moltres can take even adamant +2 CC. Been using it a lot and even with sr up it can face special lukes no problem (barring dark pulse flinch hax), physicals require Spin/defog support, but it isn't that hard to keep hazards away. The beauty of this thing is that it can take a lot of other threats along with mega luke as well.
Ironically this set can still stall out Charizard Y even though it was posted late for Lucario :P No move does more than 40% to Moltres (and the one that does is the inaccurate Fire Blast that only gets 4 uses vs. Moltres) so you can switch in, Toxic and start spamming Roost. Being slower ensures it can never quake you. Though this set gets kind of screwed over vs. Charizard X, so it's not the first thing you should switch in when you see Charizard, unless it's an obvious sun team or something.

Specs Latios can't quite OHKO Charizard Y every time, but Draco Meteor and Thunderbolt both have a chance at it. It can switch in on any move, even Dragon Pulse. Latias similarly avoids 2HKO from everything except Dragon Pulse before any defensive investment, and outspeeds and 2HKOs Charizard with Thunderbolt or Psyshock if you have max SpA (most of the time).

Ampharos, if it's already in Mega form, avoids 2HKO from everything except, once again Dragon Pulse (also avoids quake 2HKO) and OHKOs with Thunderbolt.

The nice part with a lot of these checks/counters like Rotom, Moltres and Chandelure is they are also fire type to use Charizard's sun against it once they force it out/KO it.

I would like to bring up how i have been checking char y Mienshao. A max attack jolly mienshao outspeeds and ko,s with stone edge and mienshao gets fake out meaning you can scout which zard it is and ko both. So yea fake out and stone edge mienshao can ko char Y and repeadetly come in after regenerator.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Goodra, Chansey, yes, good choices everyone. I will submit this thing as a counter, Zard hates it, but it has one failing.

Politoed @ leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Calm
- Toxic
- Scald
- PRotect
- Ice Beam

SPecially defensive Toed, not a great set outside counter zardy, but thats not the point of htis thread. It can take any attack Zard can throw at it, as well, lefties + protect lets it stay in the fight pretty decent, and scald boosted by rain nearly kills outright

4 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Rain: 212-252 (71.1 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed in Rain: 112-132 (29.1 - 34.3%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO (lol)

0 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 95-112 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 110-130 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.8% chance to 3HKO

The only issue is that initially when Zard Evolves it gets the sun reset over TOed's rain, and SOlarbeam in the sun demolishes politoed. HOwever, after Zard has evolved Polited is a full counter, so it's a matter of sponging the initial attack with a resist or sacking, or what have you.

I've got to say Rotom-H is among the best counters to Charizard-Y.

And as I have mentioned in my recent RMT (which unfortunately has no comment yet), 248/32/228+ Rotom-H with Thunder Wave is among the few Pokemons that can switch into an un-mega-ed Charizard regardless of version, and KO Charizard-Y after a Pain Split or severely cripple MegaZard-X with Thunder Wave while tanking a +1 Dragon Claw (it dies if it switches into 2 Dragon Claw, but then it doesn't have that +1 Speed). Before I digress too far to MegaZard-X instead, here are some calcs for MegaZard-Y

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Rotom-H in Sun: 110-130 (36.3 - 42.9%) -- 98% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

After 2 turns with Leftovers recovery (1 for switch, 1 for taking the hit), Rotom-H ends up with a minimum of 26.2% assuming 2 max rolls of Fire Blast, and you get to Thunder Wave or Pain Split it on the second Fire Blast. From there, you can go for a Pain Split to take a 3rd Fire Blast if necessary. Volt Switch will not KO though so make sure to wear it of a bit before going for the Volt Switch. More often than not, it is more likely the opponent would switch out after the Thunder Wave though.

0 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 140-168 (46.9 - 56.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

The best thing about Rotom-H is that it not only hard counters Charizard-Y, it is so Anti-Meta that is also fares really well against Genesect, Talonflame, Thundurus-I, Ferrothorn, Aegislash, Togekiss and the likes, so using it as a counter for MegaZard is not something that is overly specific, and something to consider.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Mantine (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Defog/Rest
- Scald
- Toxic/Haze
- Ice Beam/Mirror Coat/Sleep Talk

:3 cute Mantine. I really love this. It counter Volcarona, Charizard Y, Keldeo, SheerForceLandorus, Plot Cario and a bit Manaphy(if run haze + toxic).... It also learns Defog :O Scald with 30 % burn rate is not a bad move... Toxic is a great status move but Haze is a strong move against Bpasses / Status Upper like QDance Carona, CM Keldeo, Plot Cario. Rest is the unique recovery move, so if run Rest use Sleep Talk. Ice Beam is for flyings/Dragons/Gliscor/Landorus and Mirror Coat can be a valid alternative.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My nigga Specially Defensive Hippowdon.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

4 Atk Hippowdon Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-348 (97.9 - 116.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 186-219 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Obviously not the perfect counter because it needs to be at full HP in order to beat Mega Charizard Y consistently throughout the match, but it still gets the job done most of the time and is a generally great Pokemon anyways. Not much to say about it in relation to checking Mega Charizard, but Solarbeam won't even 3HKO because its power is nerfed in the sand, and you can just Slack Off during charge turns anyways. Earthquake does shit damage, Dragon Pulse does shit damage, and Focus Blast has like a half percent chance to 3HKO after Leftovers if it even manages to hit three times in a row.

SpDef Hippowdon is also just really good anyways, so I figured I'd bring it up. It's a solid answer to most Aegislash, as even Spooky Plate Shadow Ball will never 2HKO while Hippowdon will always OHKO with Earthquake because even Quiet nature Aegislash still outspeeds it. Specially Defensive Hippowdon can even check Nasty Plot Mega Lucario, as +2 Aura Sphere and Flash Cannon do 91% max, meaning that Hippowdon can directly switch into it and either take two hits or take one hit at +2 and do 95% minimum with Earthquake. It's a cool mon, deserves more use.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus

Latios @ Choice Specs | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf / Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

Unfortunately not as powerful as it was in BW (thanks to the damn Fairy type), it still can counter MegaZardY (probably a little shaky but does so the majority of the times). Even Mild Dragon Pulse cannot kill on the switch in after Rocks (deals max 85.4% from 252+ CharY), then you can proceed to click Draco Meteor, which has a 68.8% chance to OHKO right away (if Charizard took 6% damage from anywhere, it will go down). If you're worried for a switch to a Fairy tipe, Psyshock still has over 40% chance to OHKO Charizard (you need 10% residual damage to enure the kill) while still dealing heavy damage to many Fairy types that may want to switch in (not named Mawhile or Klefki, I guess).

This is outlandish and possibly not even worth your time but what about regirock?

Regirock @ Assault Vest
Careful
252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Attack
- rock slide
- earthquake
- hammer arm
- explosion

It takes this kinds of damages!

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock in Sun: 76-90 (20.8 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 82-98 (22.5 - 26.9%) -- 37.8% chance to 4HKO

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock in Sun: 84-99 (23 - 27.1%) -- 50.3% chance to 4HKO

Now I wouldn't guarantee switching it in. Doing so leaves you with practically a double kill because you'll be left with barely any HP.

Oh yeah...

4 Atk Regirock Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 400-472 (134.2 - 158.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So it kills it good. Kills it dead.

Mantine (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Defog/Rest
- Scald
- Toxic/Haze
- Ice Beam/Mirror Coat/Sleep Talk

:3 cute Mantine. I really love this. It counter Volcarona, Charizard Y, Keldeo, SheerForceLandorus, Plot Cario and a bit Manaphy(if run haze + toxic).... It also learns Defog :O Scald with 30 % burn rate is not a bad move... Toxic is a great status move but Haze is a strong move against Bpasses / Status Upper like QDance Carona, CM Keldeo, Plot Cario. Rest is the unique recovery move, so if run Rest use Sleep Talk. Ice Beam is for flyings/Dragons/Gliscor/Landorus and Mirror Coat can be a valid alternative.

Although I don't think Mantine is that OU viable, I'll admit that I've used him before in OU mostly because he's one of my favorite Pokemon. The thing that makes him bad though is the lack of a recovery move -- RestTalk is more viable this generation, but you have to be really cautious of set-up sweepers like Lucario, which is where Mantine succeeds in my opinion. It's a niche mon, but it can't be 3HKOd by Charizard Y with the set you listed, which is really nice. At the same time though, I'm skeptical of using him unless I really, really need to counter those specific Pokemon, and need Defog/Water-Flying typing.

Moment of shame: I tried running Offensive Assault Vest in an attempt to counter M-Lucario, but it wasn't really efficient. Alas.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Power Gem
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Psyshock

- 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 216 HP / 40+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 164-194 (42.5 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
- 252+ SpA Slowking Power Gem vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 284-336 (95.3 - 112.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Not a counter, but a pretty damn good check. AV Slowking is also very useful for countering Nasty Plot Lucario, as +2 Dark Pulse does 56.6 - 67% and Fire Blast OHKOes back, as well as most special attackers, with some of the most important being Heatran, Manaphy (you need Psyshock and a lot of previous damage though), Landorus, Latios, Latias, and even Rotom-W, Gengar, Aegislash, and Thundurus if the need arises. AV Slowking is one of your best bets at a Pokemon that can check Mega Char Y for a long time (Lati@s are easy to wear down as they usually have Life Orb, and if they use Roost they give a free switch to something) and have respectable offensive presence, so it fits pretty good in bulky offensive teams. You do need to keep SR off the field though, as otherwise the Mega Char Y player can predict the switch and 2HKO Slowking.

Last edited:

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry / Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite isn't really a counter to Zard Y but its a really strong check and can allow it to setup. With Multiscale intact you can take any hit from Charizard Y and set up a Dragon Dance in its face. Fire Blast in the Sun only does about 28% and means you can be 2HKOed while Dragon Pulse will do roughly 35%. Dragon Pulse from Charizard Y will active Weakness Policy and allow Dragonite to not only take out Charizard but also heavily dent the opposing team. After a Dragon Dance you're able to outspeed and OHKO with an Outrage. Roost is a viable option to be able to switch into Charizard Y multiple times but loosing out on either a coverage move or Extreme Speed does hurt Dragonite.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

As many above had said before, it's very difficult to call many of these Pokemon a complete counter because it can easily predict you if it wants and fuck you up with one of its many coverage moves, but Assault Vest Azumarill is an absolutely amazing check to it, with the ability to switch into any move but Solarbeam with impunity. Although it can't switch into Solarbeam reliably, it's only 2HKOed by it even after a Fire Blast, allowing Azumarill to still check it. The combination of Waterfall + Aqua Jet easily OHKOs Charizard Y. Here's some calcs:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 186-220 (54.3 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 194-230 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 98-116 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO

So if Charizard Y decides to stay in and Solarbeam, it's gonna have to stomach a huge amount of damage from Waterfall, and it will then be forced to switch out or stay in and die because Aqua Jet will destroy it the following turn. Of course if Stealth Rock happened to be up at this time than Azumarill can just kill it with Waterfall without even having to Aqua Jet afterwards, but it's still a great counter/check to Charizard Y either way, seeing as how there's only a very select few Pokemon in OU that can switch into ALL of its moves and OHKO it back. To be honest, it's an extremely useful Pokemon in general that fits on offensive and bulky teams with ease because of its ability to switch into a ton of huge threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Greninja, and Heatran. If you're troubled by Charizard Y, than AV Azumarill can also help you with that too. It's a very underrated set that deserves more usage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)