World Championships Thread - BLUECOOKIES WORLD CHUMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Sixfortyfive said:
It would be better if he could give a little bit of insight to the battle strategies, even something as simple as Guts burn = attack boost, but that's probably not allowed due to the competitors themselves also being within earshot.
They should recruit some players involved in the game for that part, so they can give relevant informations that won't help any of the two players.

At this level of competition, you can talk about the types, status and abilities without giving an advantage to any of the finalists...

Your subjective views are wrong, I'm afraid. Better luck next year!

Also yeah, I doubt he's instructed to say much as far as mechanics based on as strict as they were about the crowd saying relevant information(not that I ever saw them actually enforce that...). It'd be nice to have a little more... color commentary that way, but for some reason apparently it's expected that people who make it this far don't already know all of the general mechanics of the game. Because they didn't need to know that sort of thing to get where they got. Obviously.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Technically it is possible for a player to forget things they should know due to pressure. Any other day they might know that Guts boosts attack by 1.5x but could draw a blank during the actual match. If the announcer says something about Guts boosting attack, it would help out the player who blanked out. This wouldn't be fair since their opponent may blank out on some easy things as well but not get lucky enough to get help from the announcer.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Yeah, actually, the reason I made top 16 at nats is because my 7th round opponent forgot Gengar could use Explosion. I think it was the pressure, cuz I was totally expecting him to protect.

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
Yeah, actually, the reason I made top 16 at nats is because my 7th round opponent forgot Gengar could use Explosion. I think it was the pressure, cuz I was totally expecting him to protect.
You used Poe?! I loved using Poe in the battle tower after EVing it! And I think I make a pretty sexy Raikou.

Gotta go Starcraft and get those sound-proof headphones, yo.
This might be possible since I remember in the 09 Japan nats both players in the finals were wearing headphones. It would be pretty awesome to try out for worlds next year hintlisekhint so Nick McCord could give more insight to the battle without the players in the finals hearing it.

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Haha, the master race was defeated!

Man, I wish I could go to next year's VGCs =(

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
This might be possible since I remember in the 09 Japan nats both players in the finals were wearing headphones. It would be pretty awesome to try out for worlds next year hintlisekhint so Nick McCord could give more insight to the battle without the players in the finals hearing it.
Actually they were wearing masks and stuff because of the swine flu, but I think the announcers should be able to describe basic strategy to the audience so they know what's going on. The stuff the announcer would say, all worlds competitors already know. I also don't think they would forget something like Hariyama having guts when flame orb activates, but it's something that could really make the audience understand why the trainer would burn his own pokemon.

Then, when it was down to just Ray and Yasuki, something incredible happened. The American players that lost in the previous rounds got together, pulling out papers and laptops, and busily scribbled out strategies for Ray to win. It was like the nerdiest think tank in existence.
This part was awesome :)
They forgot to mention you were muy fuerte with the crayons OD haha.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I got to talk to Huy and Duy Ha. The brothers are members of the feared group the Mighty Psyducks and also live in Fremont, which makes them local boys! Add on to that Alan and Ryan Schambers, the twins from Modesto and one thing becomes apparent: NorCal breeds the best Pokemon trainers.

Norcal Represent. Holla.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well seeing as Metabou and Deagle aren't twins I'd say that's another win for Jack. But nonetheless an awesome article haha.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I remember a time when IPL and I proved the best Pokémon trainers are bred in the Arizona heat.

He, Fish and I need to step up our game again.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ohhh, they just said "US champion," I was wondering what happened to Wes.

Yeah, North America.
idk my bff usa

PS: Japanese players who can read / type in English should most on Smogon more so we can get a worldwide community going =) If you're reading this, post!
Lack of confidence in one's English certainly plays a role, but I think this is more of a cultural difference than anything else. Japanese people are shy and don't really feel comfortable posting information about themselves for public view, even if it has nothing to do with self-PR. Modesty and restraint are parts of it, but I think internet and impersonal communications are discouraged in Japan, mostly because of the misunderstandings it can cause between strangers who have never met.

There are large information-centric websites in Japan (pokemon underground in Tokyo, and pokemon inshuu in Osaka), but they are location-based simply because their members use the internet only to spread information, preferring to meet offline monthly for more personal matters like battling and finding out about each other. THey'll use the internet for posting factual information and working together for their manuals (think Smogon pokedex in book form), but they feel much more comfortable -- as would I -- sharing more personal and more readily misunderstood/abusable things like opinions and personal information, face to face. They do twitter and text results back and forth extremely personally and rapidly, but they do so with people they connect with personally, which goes back to the idea of favoring face-to-face interaction to internet chatter. I think the internet resources (RNG resources, etc) are so overused in Japan that players are afraid of posting personal information -- hence the use of handle names, like Saburou (Isao) and Midori (Yasuki) -- for fear that it, too, is abused among strangers. In fact, I met a few Pokemon players outside the center in Osaka that more openly request players' personal information and trade it over the internet, and those players have been blacklisted from most major groups.

~Halordain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)