Which Pokemon Families Were Used The Most By Important NPCs?

Are Glastrier and Spectrier excluded on purpose? I assumed they were left out for being DLC, but Regieleki and Regidrago are listed. Or maybe their relationship with Calyrex makes them mascots by association.

Speaking of which, I think there are enough mascots that are used that it's worth listing the mascots that aren't in the No-Use Blunders section. I think that would be Lugia, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, the Alola mascots, Eternatus, and Calyrex (unless you count Pokémon Masters). The Battle Between Legendary Pokémon, if counted, would add uses for Mewtwo, Lugia, Rayquaza, and Origin Forme Giratina, but listing that might require listing all the other downloadable tournaments so I can see why it was ignored.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Are Glastrier and Spectrier excluded on purpose? I assumed they were left out for being DLC, but Regieleki and Regidrago are listed. Or maybe their relationship with Calyrex makes them mascots by association.
Yup, exactly. I left them out as mascots due to their inseparable Calyrex connection.

Speaking of which, I think there are enough mascots that are used that it's worth listing the mascots that aren't in the No-Use Blunders section. I think that would be Lugia, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, the Alola mascots, Eternatus, and Calyrex (unless you count Pokémon Masters).
Eh, I think the issue with mascots is that there are a grand total of two (2) supremely hyper-specific cases where they see use by a major character:
-Rainbow Rocket
-The rare occasion where a main character gets them in their game of origin, those being literally just N and Hop's mascots.

If this ever changes (e.g. a future battle facility allows major legendaries for use by players and NPCs) I'll consider taking your suggestion.

Aight gang, y'all know the drill. Where the Legends Arceus trainer data at. I haven't seen anyone post that stuff, when it comes out do show me pls.
I am chasing the Trainer data but with very poor result. So far I saw the Hisui Location page on Serebii.net actually has quite a big number of Trainer data but you need to go Location by Location:
https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/hisui/
I guess still better than nothing until we get a datamine for Trainer data:-)
I really love your work on this matter and creating this awesome file:-)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I am chasing the Trainer data but with very poor result. So far I saw the Hisui Location page on Serebii.net actually has quite a big number of Trainer data but you need to go Location by Location:
https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/hisui/
I guess still better than nothing until we get a datamine for Trainer data:-)
I really love your work on this matter and creating this awesome file:-)
Oh hey, thanks! This'll do nicely

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
And would ya look at that, even without full trainer data I'm done already! All things considered, it's better than expected. Still not many, but I was thinking there would be like 5 trainer battles total based on promos so yeah.

Most used Sinnoh family is now a 4 way tie, I put Froslass there instead of as new most used Hoenn mon due to being a split evo
Giratina's joined the selective club of mascot legends used by trainers outside of Rainbow Rocket! Good job spooky dragon
Every Eeveelution got an extra use, which I think is a series first?
Crobat line's approaching 30 uses

With the PLA update, we got a few new bossfights with a few new Pokemon!
Firstly, Bren and Wenton should probably be removed.
They no longer have a unique trainer class, with the addition of Ress- they were always generic models so I don't know why they were included to begin with.
Got new uses with a bunch of other new fights at the Training Grounds, such as Crobat and Weavile for Mai or Flint's entire DP team for Zisu.
There's also a Staraptor used by Ingo in the trailer not documented by Serebii, so it isn't complete yet.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Update on the
Staraptor battle- that's from the Path of Solitude for Wurmple. Every Pokemon has a unique path of solitude challenge, but they're all used by Ingo, granting uses to a whole bunch of Pokemon- almost every one in pla. For example he uses Electrode against Magikarp, but Staraptor against Wurmple.
How do you plan to handle that? It's as if every Master Trainer in Let's Go was the same story relevant important character.

New mons for Zisu, Mai, etc.? Sure.

Path of Solitude? Lmao fuck no I'm not writing all that down
I still hope we will get any Iscan and Palina fight... (Iscan should have Mantine, Floatzel and Overqwil (Nod to Manaphy mission) + Basculegion

I like the lazy but clever Team additions:
Beni getting other Wally's mons (Magnezone, Roserade)
Zisu getting Flint's Team. Sad she did not get any of Buck mons, like Dusknoir or Umbreon. Also I'm sad she lost the Zoroark.
Mei getting some speedsters like Marley (Crobat and Weaviile)
Arezu getting Mars mons (Bronzor and Purugly)
Liam getting Ground type mons (nod to Clay)
Rei/Akari getting Clefairy and Sinnoh starter (nod to Lucas/Dawn)
I like Ursaluna with Kamado but I prefer Braviary to Probopass (to counter the heavy Fighting-weakness)

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
SV trainer data is out in the wild but since it's a brand new generation and that makes spoilers much more weighty I'm gonna be waiting about a week from this post before carrying through with the update. There'll also be another change unrelated to SV itself, but we'll get there when we get there
>about a week
lol good one

Alrighty then, update's here, accolades and all. The saddest thing about me dragging my feet this long is that I didn't even do the counting on my own! A buddy ol chum of mine named Figment on discord did it all completely unprompted because he was curious. I just took way too long to add it to the sheet! Give a huge hand to him, he basically did this update for me lol.

...the stark amount of Paldea Pokemon that are in no-use blunders. Granted a good chunk of those are Titan fights, but even then it's a pretty crazy amount that go 100% unused. Wonder what that's about?

Also not doing that change I talked about yet. Too lazy lol

Alrighty then, update's here, accolades and all. The saddest thing about me dragging my feet this long is that I didn't even do the counting on my own! A buddy ol chum of mine named Figment on discord did it all completely unprompted because he was curious. I just took way too long to add it to the sheet! Give a huge hand to him, he basically did this update for me lol.
Hmm, this Figment person sure seems cool. Wonder who he is. (It's me, the joke is that it's me.)
Yeah I sent him a giant wall of text to him because I thought it'd be cool to see. Took a few hours but I kinda enjoyed doing it.

If I had to guess. The sheer amount of no-use blunders seems to be another clear indicator that DLC is coming. Maybe the gym leaders will get full 6 Pokemon rematch teams? Maybe the Elite 4 will get rematches in general. Maybe there'll be a character that uses Maushold and the game will finally become good.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
...the stark amount of Paldea Pokemon that are in no-use blunders. Granted a good chunk of those are Titan fights, but even then it's a pretty crazy amount that go 100% unused. Wonder what that's about?
I'm not trying to promote speculation or anything of the sort, but I'm just gonna say... there tend to be at least a bit more Kalos Pokémon in place of what we might expect out of a new regional roster of 100+ Pokémon. We saw this in the Johto games with everyone using a lot of Kanto Pokémon too, although back then we only had, what, 200+ in the regional PokéDex from two regions as opposed to 400 from nine different regions? My point is, just because this is happening again doesn't mean "anything speculatory" is going to happen, if you know what I mean by that. I don't want this post I'm making to mess the rules or anything, either.

(In all seriousness, though, I read somewhere that one of the Champion-level characters in this game uses a Goodra instead of the new psuedo, anyone want to try and explain that?)

(In all seriousness, though, I read somewhere that one of the Champion-level characters in this game uses a Goodra instead of the new psuedo, anyone want to try and explain that?)
Baxcalibur is the signature Pokémon of Hassel, the last of the Elite Four. The player has no choice but to fight the Top Champion, Geeta, right after that battle, and then they're immediately invited to go from Geeta to fight the Trainer who uses Goodra, Nemona. (They're not obligated to go immediately, but the game very strongly pushes for it and they're part of the same story sequence!)
The reason that Trainer uses Goodra instead of Baxcalibur is entirely because the player is meant to have fought a Baxcalibur just two battles ago and it would be super redundant, haha - it's nothing at all like Johto-tier neglect of the new cast! The new pseudo can't be on everyone's team in the same boss rush, you know? and I don't really like when two characters in the same game have the same ace, so letting it be that Elite Four member's thing while the other two have their own Gen IX signature Pokémon is better.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Baxcalibur is the signature Pokémon of Hassel, the last of the Elite Four. The player has no choice but to fight the Top Champion, Geeta, right after that battle, and then they're immediately invited to go from Geeta to fight the Trainer who uses Goodra, Nemona. (They're not obligated to go immediately, but the game very strongly pushes for it and they're part of the same story sequence!)
The reason that Trainer uses Goodra instead of Baxcalibur is entirely because the player is meant to have fought a Baxcalibur just two battles ago and it would be super redundant, haha - it's nothing at all like Johto-tier neglect of the new cast! The new pseudo can't be on everyone's team in the same boss rush, you know? and I don't really like when two characters in the same game have the same ace, so letting it be that Elite Four member's thing while the other two have their own Gen IX signature Pokémon is better.
Ah. That makes a lot more sense. Either way, almost immediately after I had posted here I noticed that my lack of Paldea knowledge was showing.

As the generations have worn on, we've met a wide variety of iconic characters, each with their own distinct teams, whether it be fierce tyrants like Cyrus and Ghetsis, high-energy adversaries like Hop and Barry or the menagerie of Gym Leaders, each carries their own set of Pokemon to leave their mark on the player in battle and possibly represent their own personality. With so many distinct in-game teams by characters with such stature in their world and the Pokemon community, one may be led to ask: Which Pokemon are chosen to most to be the battle partners of these youths, elders, scoundrels and legends? By spending hours combing through each and every important in-game team on Bulbapedia, I have compiled a spreadsheet to answer this question.

Click here to view said spreadsheet.

Now, this is all quite a bit to digest, so I'll just leave a highlight reel:

Most Used Family Overall: Crobat line (27 uses)

Most Used Johto Families: Weavile and Honchkrow lines (13 uses)

Most Used Hoenn Family: Altaria line (11 uses)

Most Used Sinnoh Family: Bronzong line (13 uses)

Most Used Unova Family: Kingambit line (12 uses)

Most Used Kalos Family: Goodra line (7 uses)

Most Used Alola Families: Salazzle, Lycanroc and Toxapex lines (5 uses)

Most Used Galar Families: Corviknight, Coalossal, Toxtricity, Hatterene and Copperajah families (3 uses)

Paldea is too recent to add to this list.

Most Used Starter: Charizard line (9 uses)

Most Used Minor Legendaries: Zapdos and Entei (5 uses)

Most Used Mascot Legendaries: Reshiram and Zekrom (2 uses)

(Possibly) Coming Soon:
-More Accolades
-Individual tabs for most used Pokemon by region

Enjoy the data! I look forward to your discussion, corrections and suggestions.

12/16/19: Spreadsheet finished and publicly uploaded
12/17/19: "No-Use Blunders" section added
12/24/19: Added Eusine's Pokemon
3/23/20: Added Aarune and removed the mentions of extra forms from No-Use Blunders + added Indeedee there
3/27/20: Added Most Used Mascot Legendaries accolade
5/12/20: Changed URL so the owner is not my school Drive account
5/17/20: Added Tabitha's Koffing from ORAS bringing Weezing count to 11
6/3/20: Prelude to Isle of Armor micro-update: Bumped up Slowbro's usage by 2 points from Klara and Avery's Galarian Slowbros as shown in yesterday's IoA release date trailer (only one was shown using it but its obvious they'll both have it and even if they somehow don't I can quickly slash off 1 use)
6/17/20: Isle of Armor update
6/18/20: IoA Update Pt. 2: Honey battle added and an incorrect Mustard mon was dropped down
8/4/20: Ditto added to No-Use Blunders
10/23/20: Crown Tundra update
10/24/20: Bumped up Tsareena one since Milo uses it in Galarian Star Tournament
12/25/20: Fixed an error where I missed Blue's Fearow from Yellow, bumping it up to 2 uses
11/9/21: BDSP update
11/10/21: BDSP update wrapped up
11/19/21: BDSP update impromptu part 3, Battle Tower mons added
1/28/22: Legends Arceus update
2/28/22: Legends Arceus update part 2: Daybreak
12/6/22: SV update
I didn't have any Pokémon friends at the time, so I couldn't ask someone to trade me one so I could add it to my Pokédex. I searched Sinnoh for a trainer who possessed one but couldn't find one. I even took on the battle tower (before I knew about EV training/Perfect iv's) and kept battling trainers over and over (as well as losing and losing). Finally, one of the trainers had a drifloon, and my ecstatic ass thought my search was over.

Unfortunately, battle tower Pokémon do not appear in your dex. Because you needed to see all of the Pokémon available at the time to unlock the national dex, I thought I messed up and reset.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I didn't have any Pokémon friends at the time, so I couldn't ask someone to trade me one so I could add it to my Pokédex. I searched Sinnoh for a trainer who possessed one but couldn't find one. I even took on the battle tower (before I knew about EV training/Perfect iv's) and kept battling trainers over and over (as well as losing and losing). Finally, one of the trainers had a drifloon, and my ecstatic ass thought my search was over.

Unfortunately, battle tower Pokémon do not appear in your dex. Because you needed to see all of the Pokémon available at the time to unlock the national dex, I thought I messed up and reset.
Did you reply to the wrong thread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)