What went wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously don't understand it. I made a team specifically for the tutee tourney with the feedback of IFM, and I still get 3-0ed twice with two different teams by ITSU. (To whoever thought it'd be funny to put me up against him just because we had the same tutor, I'm not laughing.)

Anyway, here's the way I wanted it to work.

Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Between Tar's ridiculous bulk in his self-started sand and his insane attack stat, he was a natural choice for an SR lead. Standard SDef set from the page. Pursuit is good to have for a unique form of revenge on choice-locked mons.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

It's Rotom. I don't think I need to say much more than this. As far as I can tell, this is the bog standard Rotom-W set. Still not quite good enough to use Trick to its full potential, so I'm thinking about getting rid of it. Levitate also helps against random earthquakes. Too bad most landorus are scarfed as well.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

With the help of Tyranitar's sand, this guy is supposed to be pretty robust, and double dance means he has the perfect boost for the sort of team I'm facing...now if only I had the same thing. First time I've ever run CC on this guy now that I know that Cradily is to be nothing more than a bad dream in OU. (Also, I'm told Fighting is one of the better types to double up on....see below) Double dance means I can boost speed against fast frail offense or boost my attack in the face of bulkier teams, then proceed to punch some holes.

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The supposed main person of this team. In theory, Regenerator means I can take more risks (read: make more mistakes) and still manage to have a fighting chance. Extra 4 were dumped into SpA because 271 HP base and they would be wasted in the face of LO if put into HP. Hi Jump Kick is just so incredibly powerful and Shao doesn't mind the odd miss, HP Ice because dragons are lurking everywhere, U-turn to scout for counters (no, I didn't put in a voltturn core on purpose, that's just how it worked out).

Gengar (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Pain Split

Never used this guy seriously before, let alone a subsplit set (I prefer all-out attack myself). It's supposed to be able to get around the pink blob and other walls with judicious use of pain split (LO and sand means it steals MORE hit points!). Kinda wish it had more powerful/reliable attack options in its pool, but there's just something odd to me about the concept of a gengar out-stalling a blissey.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

And finally, a custom Scizor set IFM gave me. It's a fairly odd bird, but it takes no penalty for using Roost as it's already neutral to ground. Bullet Punch is just so damn good, U-Turn to get out of potentially nasty scrapes, and Swords Dance to make them both hurt like a bitch.

But to see all of my hard work get cut to ribbons so easily...:evan:

Edit: And now some responses.

@Lemonz: This sort of thing is what I signed up for B101 to try to fix.

@Delko: I actually did expand the descriptions once at the request of Ban Nattorei, but honestly, I really can't say much more than what you saw. Just to be safe, though, I did add more as per your request. Anyone has any other comments, PM/VM me in case he locks this anyway.

Look, im not sure if you're new to battling or anything, but looks like you just slapped some standard stuff together without really knowing how each functions completely and how their functions complement eachother. I mean, im no pro or anything, so Im just gonna point out some obvious things.
Ok, first of all, putting in descriptions of why you chose the pokes would be nice. Try including how they funtion, what they do to benefit the team, how they cover the other pokes weakness, ect.. However, I don't feel that you quite grasp each poke's uses, and even less their function on your team. I mean, you just slapped on 4/252/252 spreads on everything. I mean, some pokemon do well with that spread, but certainly not all, which begins the next issue.
Tyranitar. Tyranitar is bulky in sand. He doesnt like getting in fights, and is scared of big earthquakes. That is why, by using the team preview, or even just switching, you avoid those fighting types. You do not stay in on them with tyranitar because, im not sure you know this, tyranitar kicks ass. He rapes everything that doesnt pack a fighting move. So don't attach a useless focus sash when he's going to get hit and live. Bring him in later to kill latios or blissey, dont get Fake out'd then kicked by mienshao. Also, dont run just full sp.def. He has a huge attack, and he ought to use it. He has no recovery, and he's not meant to be used as just a wall.
Ok, there's alot more i'd like to type, but Ill just shorten it to this; this team legitimately looks like you heard about some pokemon being cool, so you just slapped them on really quickly without considering a team's purpose. The only thing that looks like it had thought put in was Scizor, which you got from someone else. My recommendation is that you scrap this team and remake it.

Increase your descriptions a bit please, otherwise I'll have to close this thread.

Closing, PM me your changes and I'll unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)