Media What is the best game, uncontested, youd die on that hill proudly

minecraft is a good game but I wouldn't call it the best. I don't like open world sandbox and most extra features like combat etc are too diffused to be interesting to me. Its a highly influencial game though so it deserves to be in the honorable mentions. I agree with hollow knight that game's goated, although I like rain worlds difficulty more.

elden ring is the worst souls game to me so I'm biased but if we're nominating one of those id go with bloodborne instead. stardew valley is fun but has many flaws

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Super smash bros ultimate.
I don't care if you think melee is better, ultimate is 100% the best game ever made. There is a reason why I have 1220 hours in this game. It has so many options to choose from and even just fighting against level 9 cpus (which is like 40% of my time) is really fun. I don't care if its me vs the rest of the world, I would happily fight tooth and nail to prove I am right on this matter.
I will die on this hill before I bend on this matter.
As a competitive Ultimate player, I can't agree myself. If you're still staying with your view, that's all good, just putting a different perspective on the game out there.

As a single-player experience, the game suffers from the relatively mediocre single-player content. Everyone's already beat the WOL v.s. Subspace Emissary nail into the ground, so I'll highlight the agonizingly unfinished Stage Builder (something as simple as making drop-though platforms 95% as functional as Battlefield's is a cobbled-together technique requiring a youtube tutorial). Spirits and amiibo training has entry barriers and is obtuse in several ways, too.

As a fighting game, casually or competitively, it suffers from the sheer amount of mechanics and characters that are not fun to play against. Some of this is inevitably, as the boys call it these days, a skill issue. If a Palutena just nairs someone to death, they should probably, like, shield, use out of shield punishes, contest with bigger aerials, punish her landing, etc. But the frequency and intensity of zoners (imperfect translation for the unfamiliar: "projectile spamemrs"), total matchups, knowledge checks (both at character-level and deeper), and combo/advantage cutscenes are aggressive. Also frustrating is that, even when you learn to deal with that Palutena nair, it probably took you way more effort to work around then it took them to mash. This critique comes from my competitive POV, but casual is not immune: having fun with or against e.g. Mega Man casually is still a challenge, and many items are overtuned (assist trophy, pokeball, smart bomb that is unable to damage the thrower, etc.) or just not fun (gust bellows, control reverses mushroom, mash minigame item, etc.)

ok, listen. WOL is good. it is not as good as brawls story wise, but is better gameplay wise. also, it has a far superior final boss. there is an argument to be made that WOL is better than subspace emissary. I am not making it, but the argument exists. I have not heard them beat that nail into the ground though, so feel free to do that again if I just said something incredibly idiotic.

anyways, in terms of gameplay, smash ultimate is actually pretty good. no character is obscenely bad, and there is only one really good character, and he is hard to play, and frankly, quite hype. I think it is a fantastic platform fighter.

and there is only one really good character, and he is hard to play
This is the exact same argument that is used to justify sniper's ability to one shot 5 out of 9 classes from anywhere on the map. It's not a good argument. If you're talking about Steve, he isn't even hard to play. He just has 15 different mechanics slammed into one character so he looks complicated, even though you'll really only be chaining up-tilts and maybe doing some trickery on the edge. Being a hard character to play is NEVER a justification for being batshit insane with an overwhelming negative impact on the entire game once a single person reaches a shred of competency with the player.
no character is obscenely bad
This is also blatantly untrue. In a metagame where sephiroth can edgeguard from effectively the center of the stage, Kazuya can spam forward smash with super armor, and game and watch can continue being a FUCKING ASSHOLE, there's no room for a character that does very little compared to them. Honestly, the game was pretty well balanced before the DLC characters started rolling in, but they are just so incredibly overwhelming in sheer power and effectiveness that they leave half the roster in the dust.

I think an example of a well balanced fighting game would be something like Under night in-birth 2. Every character has very well defined upsides and downsides. For example, Merkava has a massive hittbox, acting as both a positive and a negative, Linne is relatively simple in terms of combos and can potentially game you, but it only really works once, and Vatista can be hard to fight, but struggles without proper setup. The game also has more conventional and straightforward fighting game characters such as Hyde and Orie. I would consider Hilda the closest to Steve, as she can do a lot of damage with little investment and effort, but she struggles with the fact she has much less combo potential on the edge than most other characters, meaning she appreciates standing near the center and using her projectiles to keep pressure, making her much more vulnerable to getting spammed down and countered.

This is the exact same argument that is used to justify sniper's ability to one shot 5 out of 9 classes from anywhere on the map. It's not a good argument. If you're talking about Steve, he isn't even hard to play. He just has 15 different mechanics slammed into one character so he looks complicated, even though you'll really only be chaining up-tilts and maybe doing some trickery on the edge. Being a hard character to play is NEVER a justification for being batshit insane with an overwhelming negative impact on the entire game once a single person reaches a shred of competency with the player.

This is also blatantly untrue. In a metagame where sephiroth can edgeguard from effectively the center of the stage, Kazuya can spam forward smash with super armor, and game and watch can continue being a FUCKING ASSHOLE, there's no room for a character that does very little compared to them. Honestly, the game was pretty well balanced before the DLC characters started rolling in, but they are just so incredibly overwhelming in sheer power and effectiveness that they leave half the roster in the dust.

I think an example of a well balanced fighting game would be something like Under night in-birth 2. Every character has very well defined upsides and downsides. For example, Merkava has a massive hittbox, acting as both a positive and a negative, Linne is relatively simple in terms of combos and can potentially game you, but it only really works once, and Vatista can be hard to fight, but struggles without proper setup. The game also has more conventional and straightforward fighting game characters such as Hyde and Orie. I would consider Hilda the closest to Steve, as she can do a lot of damage with little investment and effort, but she struggles with the fact she has much less combo potential on the edge than most other characters, meaning she appreciates standing near the center and using her projectiles to keep pressure, making her much more vulnerable to getting spammed down and countered.
I mean, sure, steve is less complex than he seems, but that doesn't mean he isn't complex. Block combos are hard to pull off (at least for me) and the resource management is something you have to contend with. And even through all his bs, I would say steve isn't so overwhelmingly broken that a person playing him at high level is always going to win. Spargo used fucking piranha plant (my main btw) to beat Chase, who was using Steve. A lower tier character beat a character that is considered broken. That doesn't sound like a game where the balance is so shit. It's not the best, but everybody on the roster can comfortably win (besides ganon, but he's always been trash). At high level we have dr mario mains, little mac mains, incineroar mains and many more that I can't think of.
Also, can we stop praising Subspace Emissary to the fucking moon (this is not in response to you, moreso to other people). It's not a good single player campaign, its jut alright. The only thing it has going for it is the amazing cutscenes, that's it. Now sure, WOL isn't the best, but it's around the same level as SSE, good but not spectacular. I remember before WOL came out, everybody complained about SSE so much that it was annoying. WOL is the weakest part of Ultimate, but even then its not bad. I have played both campaigns, and let me tell you, SSE's stages are just alright in the context of other platformers. The boss fights are cool, but so are WOL's boss fights.

I could respond with an argument, but someone already did that, and this is funnier, so
1712451869798.png

Many games come to mind, but there are two that I know I'll always come back to: Bloodborne and Sekiro. I just love them. I'm obviously attracted to FromSoftware's way of challenging the player's skills and force them to get good; how they usually manage to tell a good, deep story without really telling you anything except the basics of it; and of course, the combat and the bosses.

Bloodborne stands out because of its unique Lovecraftian atmosphere, and I really like the gameplay, the story, the world... All the lore put into it is incredible. You could also beat the game without getting the majority of it, and at the same time, if it appeals to you, you can dive deep and spend hours lost in the lore alone. "The Paleblood Hunt" is a great example of that.

Sekiro, on the other hand, is different from other classic FromSoftware entries in several ways. The story is much more apparent here than in Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Specially if you fancy a "feudal" Japan setting with supernatural elements (and I do). But what really makes Sekiro unique is the combat. I'm sure some of you already heard that. I have not to this day played a videogame with such an amazing, engaging and satisfying combat as Sekiro; so much that when you finish it you're left with an itch that no other videogame truly scratches, at least for me. No other game I've played forces you that much to "git gud", because there's no other way around to beat the game: no overleveling your opponents, no amount of farming, etc. Either you learn the combat and get good, or you can't get past a certain wall (boss) and progress further, period. But, although the combat can seem extremely hard and unfair, it actually isn't; you just have to really learn the mechanichs and practice. Afterwards, the game becomes so satisfying and obviously so much easier... well, not really: you just got good.

this thread is an atrocity. these are all such "weird theater kid" energy answers.

you guys are forum addicts but i'm a forum jesus so allow me to tell you what is objectively, unquestionably, the best video game every made: team fortress 2

the core gameplay, the high skill ceiling, the comedy, the artstyle, the maps, the customization, the lore, the

tf2 best game no debate

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
this thread is an atrocity. these are all such "weird theater kid" energy answers.

you guys are forum addicts but i'm a forum jesus so allow me to tell you what is objectively, unquestionably, the best video game every made: team fortress 2

the core gameplay, the high skill ceiling, the comedy, the artstyle, the maps, the customization, the lore, the

tf2 best game no debate
it's a good game fs, but best game ever? take a hike

I did another Hollow Knight playthrough and will, again, affirm it is the best game of all-time. I sank another 50 hours in, and I still have content to do on this new save, and I will absolutely be replaying it over and over again in the future.

By the way, in my life I have bought four copies of it.

Hollow Knight - Switch
Hollow Knight - PS5
Hollow Knight - Steam
Hollow Knight - Switch (gift to friend)

And I am absolutely willing to buy it again

I did another Hollow Knight playthrough and will, again, affirm it is the best game of all-time. I sank another 50 hours in, and I still have content to do on this new save, and I will absolutely be replaying it over and over again in the future.

By the way, in my life I have bought four copies of it.

Hollow Knight - Switch
Hollow Knight - PS5
Hollow Knight - Steam
Hollow Knight - Switch (gift to friend)

And I am absolutely willing to buy it again
first of all, which is the better controller for hollow knight, an actual controller, or a keyboard.
second of all, while I do not share the sentiment that it is the best game, it does a lot of things right, and practically every game can learn something from it. want a good horror game? take notes from deepnest. Want a challenging end-level section, especially for a platformer? queens gardens is a prime example. want to design a boss? we have an abundance of great bosses. For example:
Brooding Mawlek - Hollow Knight Guide - IGN

Now, when people discuss what the best boss in the game is, they usually point to (spoiler), (spoiler), and (spoiler). However, I believe that the best boss is the humble Brooding Mawlek.

Now, on their first playthrough, someone will usually discover this towards the very end of the game, as it is tucked away in a tiny little corner of the map. Once they find it, they will probably have all the upgrades in the game. guarding the boss fight is a wall jump challenge with spikes. of course, thanks to your double jump, you can almost completely ignore it. your equipment makes the boss itself somewhat easy, with most of the bosses attacks being trivialized by the invincible dash. still, the boss is rather engaging even for those who have beaten the hardest bosses in the game.

Then you face the final boss, and promptly get your butt whooped until you eventually become much better at the game. On your second playthrough, you probably blitz through the early game. Once you get the wall jump, one of your first targets will likely be this boss, due to its early game location. now, because you dont have the double jump, you actually have to do the wall jump challenge. you come in, expecting to crush it, but to your surprise, it is still a decent challenge. Now that you have no invincibility dash, the entire fight changes. the claw strike can no longer be ignored by dashing through the boss and you have to go over the boss with a dash to dodge the spew. your lack of strong spells also makes the boss longer. still, you overcome it anyways.

you then discover the dlc bosses, and unlock a new circle of hell. on your third playthrough, you think that after facing the hardest this game has to offer, you are prepared for the boss, when you realise something. the boss is guarded by spikes. you can pogo spikes. you try it, and although it is tricky, you succesfully arrive at the boss before facing any other boss. you walk in, expecting it to be trivial, and find that it is actually hard. the lack of any movement options makes this boss very hard. the claw strike and leap are much harder to avoid, and the spew attack looks impossible. but with your improved skill at the game, you persevere. you find that the claw strike can be parried, the leap gives you an opportunity to heal, and the spew attack can be avoided by pogoing off of the boss and going over. you manage to overcome the boss, and you have beaten brooding Mawlek before any other boss.

Brooding mawlek is the best boss, because it perfectly shows the games strengths, such as the lack of linearity in the game and the ability to test players of all skill levels. its entire design philosophy is incredible, and proof of the games fantastic game design.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

Chess. The basics are easy to learn, but you can spend a lifetime studying and refining your skills. There's no element of luck, so every loss gives you something to improve. Plus, in the age of computers, you don't need a second person to play. Having longevity doesn't make a game inherently good, but chess has stuck around this long for a very good reason.

first of all, which is the better controller for hollow knight, an actual controller, or a keyboard.
second of all, while I do not share the sentiment that it is the best game, it does a lot of things right, and practically every game can learn something from it. want a good horror game? take notes from deepnest. Want a challenging end-level section, especially for a platformer? queens gardens is a prime example. want to design a boss? we have an abundance of great bosses. For example:
Brooding Mawlek - Hollow Knight Guide - IGN

Now, when people discuss what the best boss in the game is, they usually point to (spoiler), (spoiler), and (spoiler). However, I believe that the best boss is the humble Brooding Mawlek.

Now, on their first playthrough, someone will usually discover this towards the very end of the game, as it is tucked away in a tiny little corner of the map. Once they find it, they will probably have all the upgrades in the game. guarding the boss fight is a wall jump challenge with spikes. of course, thanks to your double jump, you can almost completely ignore it. your equipment makes the boss itself somewhat easy, with most of the bosses attacks being trivialized by the invincible dash. still, the boss is rather engaging even for those who have beaten the hardest bosses in the game.

Then you face the final boss, and promptly get your butt whooped until you eventually become much better at the game. On your second playthrough, you probably blitz through the early game. Once you get the wall jump, one of your first targets will likely be this boss, due to its early game location. now, because you dont have the double jump, you actually have to do the wall jump challenge. you come in, expecting to crush it, but to your surprise, it is still a decent challenge. Now that you have no invincibility dash, the entire fight changes. the claw strike can no longer be ignored by dashing through the boss and you have to go over the boss with a dash to dodge the spew. your lack of strong spells also makes the boss longer. still, you overcome it anyways.

you then discover the dlc bosses, and unlock a new circle of hell. on your third playthrough, you think that after facing the hardest this game has to offer, you are prepared for the boss, when you realise something. the boss is guarded by spikes. you can pogo spikes. you try it, and although it is tricky, you succesfully arrive at the boss before facing any other boss. you walk in, expecting it to be trivial, and find that it is actually hard. the lack of any movement options makes this boss very hard. the claw strike and leap are much harder to avoid, and the spew attack looks impossible. but with your improved skill at the game, you persevere. you find that the claw strike can be parried, the leap gives you an opportunity to heal, and the spew attack can be avoided by pogoing off of the boss and going over. you manage to overcome the boss, and you have beaten brooding Mawlek before any other boss.

Brooding mawlek is the best boss, because it perfectly shows the games strengths, such as the lack of linearity in the game and the ability to test players of all skill levels. its entire design philosophy is incredible, and proof of the games fantastic game design.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
Nah, brooding mawlek is not good at all. I'm ironically playing through hollow knight rn and although I wouldn't call it the best game, it's pretty good (fighting the lost kin and struggling lmao). I found brooding mawlek quite early because I explore the fuck out of every area and it just throws shit at you and it doesn't feel like you outplayed it, you feel like you just got lucky. You should never feel like you got lucky, you should feel you earnt that win, so that already makes it not good. I found it to be one of the worse bosses in the game, possibly the worst boss.
Also, can we agree deepnest sucks? That area gives me the heebie jeebies and it wasn't anything special in terms of gameplay.

Nah, brooding mawlek is not good at all. I'm ironically playing through hollow knight rn and although I wouldn't call it the best game, it's pretty good (fighting the lost kin and struggling lmao). I found brooding mawlek quite early because I explore the fuck out of every area and it just throws shit at you and it doesn't feel like you outplayed it, you feel like you just got lucky. You should never feel like you got lucky, you should feel you earnt that win, so that already makes it not good. I found it to be one of the worse bosses in the game, possibly the worst boss.
Also, can we agree deepnest sucks? That area gives me the heebie jeebies and it wasn't anything special in terms of gameplay.
first of all, it is entirely within your skill set to dodge the attacks. your just bad. this is not an insult, we are all bad when we start the game. I have beaten almost every boss hitless, but when I first played, I died to false knight twice. also regarding your point about deepnest giving you the heebie jeebies

THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT

first of all, it is entirely within your skill set to dodge the attacks. your just bad. this is not an insult, we are all bad when we start the game. I have beaten almost every boss hitless, but when I first played, I died to false knight twice. also regarding your point about deepnest giving you the heebie jeebies

THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT
Yes, I know that's the entire point, doesn't make it any better. I already liked the amount of creepy hollow knight already had, it was really atmospheric, but deepnest cranked that up to 12 and it went from cool to just "I want to get out of this area, but I have to stay". I think they overextended on the creepy aspect for this one, if they dialed it back a tiny bit, then that would be fine. I didn't mind the spider enemies, maybe something like removing the spiders that run along the foreground would have been enough.
Also, how the fuck do you dodge the attack where they spurt lots of the orange ooze in a burst? Like, the other attacks are fine but it feels that you have to get lucky with that attack specifically.

Yes, I know that's the entire point, doesn't make it any better. I already liked the amount of creepy hollow knight already had, it was really atmospheric, but deepnest cranked that up to 12 and it went from cool to just "I want to get out of this area, but I have to stay". I think they overextended on the creepy aspect for this one, if they dialed it back a tiny bit, then that would be fine. I didn't mind the spider enemies, maybe something like removing the spiders that run along the foreground would have been enough.
Also, how the fuck do you dodge the attack where they spurt lots of the orange ooze? Like, the other attacks are fine but it feels that you have to get lucky with that attack specifically.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

tf2 best game no debate
tf2 is a weird theater kid game as well for your information

tf2 best game no debate
yes. i too love a game where you can get one shot as 5 out of 9 classes at any given moment from halfway across the map because i remotely dared to contest the objective. sniper is a fucking cancer on the game and it would be the best game if not for this stupid fucking australian piss jar man

it would be the best game if not for this stupid fucking australian piss jar man
I'm an Australian and this sent my to the other side. I'm wheezing.
But one thing I will say is that untitled goose game is amazing and made in Australia. I mean, you get to be an annoying ass goose and even if it has some down points (I can't think of any rn), the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)