Webcomics

Here is a list of webcomics that I read or have read, and think you should too. Also suggest your own. If it's tl;dr4u then just look for the blue letters and click you big baby.

Penny Arcade
: Penny Arcade is one of the most popular webcomics around, and certainly is the most popular video game-based webcomic online. I'm sure most of you already know all about PA so I won't write much about it. If you haven't checked it out, then you are dumb and need to click on the link immediately.

The Perry Bible Fellowship
: One of my favorites, PBF is "generally characterized by the juxtaposition of whimsical childlike imagery or fantasy with extremely morbid, absurdist humour." The artistic style varies from comic to comic, but the strips themselves are consistently funny. Seriously, check this one out if you haven't already.

Scott C.'s DFAC
: Drawn by one of the artists from Double Fine (the company who developed Psychonauts and Grim Fandango), about a knight, an astronaut, and other characters going on adventures through the universe. Scott C.'s comic is kind of like a stupid conversation between you and your friends: it doesn't really have a point, but it's fun anyways. You'll like this one if you like stream of consciousness stuff.

Copper: A strip about a dude and his talking dog. Not particularly funny, but it's nice to look at. I like this one because it has the imagination of a Calvin and Hobbes strip.

Dinosaur Comics
: A strip driven by absurd dialogue...between dinosaurs. Not one of my favorites but it occasionally gets a laugh out of me -- and dinosaurs are always awesome.

Creased Comics: One-panel strips a la Far Side, except more vulgar and they make less sense.

Dr. McNinja: "Dr. McNinja is a doctor who is also a ninja." This is really more like a web graphic novel -- each "issue" is at least twenty pages long. Frequently hilarious.

Other good ones are Ctrl+Alt+Del (same vein as Penny Arcade), VG Cats (same deal, except with cats and it's less funny), and White Ninja (more stupid-funny than anything else). I'm sure there are some I've forgotten but whatever.

Comment on those I've posted, or post your own favorites.

http://www.nuklearpower.com

Hi-larity. It's an alternate take on the original Final Fantasy, and about every single panel has a joke in it. It's extremely well-written and witty, and very consistent in its humor too. It starts off pretty funny, and only goes uphill from there.

www.xkcd.com - The author calls it A webcomic of romance,
sarcasm, math, and language
, which is accurate enough.

Perry Bible Fellowship is hilarious by the way; I read through all the strips a while ago.

Penny Arcade
: Penny Arcade is one of the most popular webcomics around, and certainly is the most popular video game-based webcomic online. I'm sure most of you already know all about PA so I won't write much about it. If you haven't checked it out, then you are dumb and need to click on the link immediately.

Dr. McNinja: "Dr. McNinja is a doctor who is also a ninja." This is really more like a web graphic novel -- each "issue" is at least twenty pages long. Frequently hilarious.
Fuck yes.
As you could see through my previous avatars, I'm a gigantic Penny Arcade fan. Can't wait for their game to come!
Dr. McNinja is honestly one of the most witty webcomics in existence. I'm completely serious. I remember reading the old issues and laughing non-stop at each page. The author also puts some comments in the pics, just right-click and go to 'properties' to see them. OR, you could just let your mouse hover over it.
I like a lot of VG cats comics, but lately it just seems to be really 'hit-and-miss'. I'm not a fan of their anime comics, either.
Here's the first thing I ever do when I turn on my internet

Yes. I'll provide a small description of my favorites only because 1. I don't think some of you would like EGS or MegaTokyo and 2. it would take forever.

Questionable Content is a comic about a boy, Marten, and his hilarious robot, Pintsize, and usually focus on music and/or character jokes. I know that Carl reads this and I hope there're more fans around here!

Stuff Sucks is a story on how this guy's life sucks. And it tells that story hilariously. This fits into the 'very witty but underrated' webcomics category (QC and Dr.McNinja would be there too). They are taking a giant hiatus now but read their archives, good stuff.

Rob and Elliot is typical 'Penny Arcade' humor BUT not with videogames, and for the most part, pure nonsense. This comics' big problem is that they don't update very frequently (one of the artists is working on another project of his own) and therefore their archives are pretty small.

Slackerz is the comic that generated my Tails craze for a while. This is a very unique comic, but it is excellent. This is one of my favorite webcomics too, along with Penny Arcade and Dr. McNinja. Check it out!

Fanboys a comic about 3 roommates, WITH A TWIST. Each one worships a console! This has very Penny Arcade-like humor, and therefore it is very enjoyable. The artist is very talented in my opinion.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My first webcomic was Sluggy Freelance.. I picked it up in spring of 2002 and quickly read the whole archive, but I stopped reading a couple years later because it ceased to be funny.

My all-time favorite comic is still A Softer World. Dark, morbid, disturbing, hilarious.

My favorite.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
let's go by my usual schedule...

Bob and George - Pretty much the father of all sprite comics. It actually ended a while ago, and now they're going through the archives with commentary, which is sort of interesting. Also, I am a big fan of the subcomic, Metroid: Third Derivative.

Captain SNES - My favorite webcomic... and by far the least reliable. This guy seriously updates maybe once a week, and oftentimes it's just a filler. But it's worth it for me.

The Wotch - A hilarious comic about a witch with a fascination for crossdressing. Also has some interesting dark sides.

Pokemon-X - ZOMG a Pokemon comic?? Yeah, this one is actually kind of funny and reminds me in some ways of Captain SNES, so I find it enjoyable.

I also keep up with Penny Arcade, and VGCats. PBF I'll check when it occurs to me but I don't keep up with it regularly.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
XKCD or whatever the fuck it's called also has hidden subtext if you hover over the picture. Usually they're too long so you have to go to properties to see them, they normally give a bit of background on the comic.

wulffmorgenthaler
- hit and miss one-a-day toons
Left-Handed Toons (by right-handed people)
- some pretty funny stuff in the archives
the WAREHOUSE
- cyanide&happiness-style but a little different
http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/
- pokey the penguin, an 'ironic' comic if you like that sort of thing. i do. i think it is kind of smogon sense of humour, like the epitome of trolling in cartoon form

heh, I met the guy that writes Edible Dirt once. He told me the secret to a good webcomic is cats, because they are more self-sustaining than dogs, allowing people more time to use the internet.

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/ - No idea why I like it, but found myself reading the entire archive over a couple of days.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'll just post ones no one else has

Wondermark: Take images from the 1800s with some pretty funny dialogue and you get an awesome comic thats updated twice a week. I've gotten quite a few chuckles out of it.

The Dugout: You should know about baseball and the players before reading this, if you do this is a humorous comic and really unique, stay away if you don't know about baseball. NOTE: right now they are in a moving phase and everything has broken links etc

Thinkin Lincoln: Really funny is all I can say

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I never liked any of them or comic strips in newspapers.

They are very rarely worth reading.

Maybe it's just that I havent ever found the one I would like.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle For Hire: Fantasy comic about a guy with second sight, and the (mis)adventures he has. Although the quality's gone downhill recently (thanks in no small part to the last story arc and a general movement towards a sort of "modern"-esque fantasy setting), it's got some awesome art, great humor, and some of the earlier story arcs are just plain excellent (I especially enjoyed the Erossus and Battle for Barthis arcs).

Sinfest:Arguably one of the best introspective looks into human nature ever recorded in 4 panels. Some of the comics get pretty deep at times, but the writer practically has today's society nailed down to a tee and a few characters. You also gotta dig the manga influence.

Jerkcity:Dicks, cocks, dongs, bongs, slurping and drooling and hurr, stoner jokes, huddling in the stall choking down dicks like a bagel sandwich, some kind of queer rodent in a fez and lederhosen, and the occasional pop culture or technology reference. Also made by the only people in existence who still use Microsoft Comic Chat. NSWQ dialog; the pictures are clean. For best results, just keep clicking "random" over and over. You probably won't get it.

Ever. HUALGH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)