SM NU voltTurn balance ngAmbipom

The Court of the Crimson King
Hi all, this is my first RMT for my favorite (only?) tier of NU. I built this team on my own and I would appreciate any feedback, the process of putting it together has been fun and I'm looking forward to tweaking it and making it even better. I find that I consistently ladder very well when using this team over others I've made or borrowed from showcase so we'll see how it goes.
Process
This team started by stealing the fun z-Druddigon from a Jarii team pokeaim used in a NU Road to Top Ten video. Knowing that rocks would be hard to come by, I figured my favorite spike setter, Garbodor would have to come in. Like I said, this was my first attempt at seriously teambuilding so I figured it would be good use an S-tier pokemon, trust viability rankings.I love to have Intimidate support on a team (especially with a less defensive Druddigon) so Incineroar seemed a natural fit, I started with SD+Iapapa but found that I was quickly getting blown back by special attackers, that's where the Assault Vest comes in.

Play Style
An early, fast Devastating Drake can punch a very wide hole in almost any team early on, leaving room for a fast balance team to run around and have fun. The bulky core of Garbodor and Incineroar (plus Druddigon if it's still alive) allows for momentum control early in the game with the potent combo of Spikes, Intimidate, Rocky Helmet and Incineroar's slow U-Turn. A true balance team, I find that Incineroar is the glue that really holds the team together: enough bulk to tank hits for frailer teammate, meanwhile slow U-Turns allow the frail offensive core of Ambipom and Heliolisk to go to town. Originally I had named the team for Ambipom who is super fun to use (and often the last mon standing), but when I step back and have to name an MVP, I realize that Incineroar truly is the Crimson S-Tiered King!

I should point out that most of the EV spreads are not set to meet specific needs and could probably use some tweaking.
Alright let's get into it...

Druddigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
Here is your early game nuke. Not a great lead against teams that have Steelix but it 2HKOs a huge portion of the tier and OHKO's pesky mons like Xatu and Decidueye. Iron head is great for expected Comfey/Piloswine switch ins. I like protect against other Druddigons and Whimsicott, it is nice for mind games but feel free to sub out for glare in its stead. Without a ground type on the team, a speedy Druddigon is a decent switch-in for expected Volt Switches. Mold Breaker is essential for rocks against Xatu but with that mon's usage dropping, you could opt for Rough Skin as spikes are generally more important for this team and easier to set up.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
- Spikes
All you need to know is Rocky Helmet + Aftermath. If you get up a spike, this mon has done its job and you can feel free to save for an Aftermath sac. Can be used as a lead but I find it is most useful to switch in for helmet punishment and then set up a spike. Pain Split offers some longevity against Weezing and Xatu, but you could probably switch this out for seed bomb or toxic if you want to get even more aggro. This team does struggle against scarf Passimian so try to preserve aftermath for that mon. Gunk shot pressures Xatu switching in and serves as this team's best response to Whimsicott, especially if Incineroar is under 30%.

The EV spread is the standard Smogon defensive spike setter set. Thread warns against threat of sleep powder, but honestly I usually wind up soaking up sleep powder/hypnosis with this mon to save other more active teammates from getting it.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Def / 144 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn​
I hate this mon. I hate all of its stupid sets and how many times I get blown back by power trip. So of course I wanted to include it on the squad. While AV has fallen out of favor in the last year or so, I find that this is a fantastic check to the most common special attackers in the tier, even Clawitzer is 2HKO'd after hazard damage. Intimidate is essential for dealing with Steelix and Sneasel, a single Earthquake will set up an enemy Steelix to be finished off by Decidueye or Heliolisk. Oddly enough, this mon matches up really well against other Incineroars; knock off if it switches in on you, eq or knock if you get intimidate in on it. U-turning away from Hariyama for free helmet damage from Garbodor who can then hopefully get up spikes. With Assault Vest and stupid bulk, Incineroar is very handy against Slowking, 2HKOing every set that isn't Colbur Berry.

Decidueye @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog​

This is the best Decidueye set (at least for this squad). Leaf Storm is a guaranteed OHKO against Palossand, Piloswine, and Blastoise (the latter two need rocks or spike), 50-65% on most Steelix allows other members of the team to clean up that pesky mon. Roosting after getting hit Knock Off allows for decent recovery against anyone trying to hazard stack. Decideueye's fast U-Turn allows you to get in whatever threat you need for a given situation and increase pressure voltTurn style. This mon is particularly useful in the early game where you can exert hazard control over common rockers like Steelix, Rhydon and Seismitoad. Decidueye serves as the team's spinblocker, if your opponent has Dhelmise or Cryogonal, make sure to keep Incineroar to support it.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Volt Switch​

The core of any decent NU voltTurn squad, Heliolisk is very straightforward as a special attacker: Volt Switch when you can to get in what you need, or spam Hyper Voice when there are any resistances on the field. Against Decidueye and Dhelmise: always Volt Switch. In addition to its role on general voltTurn strategy, Heliolisk is essential for taking care of mons the tier's bulky poison types (RIP Vileplume). I go with Surf over Dark Pulse primarily because of Palossand, who will be OHKO'd if there is a single spike on the field. Heliolisk, like Incineroar loves the presence of Garbodor on this squad to soak up fighting moves and u-turn.

Ambipom @ Normal Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return / Double Edge
- Low Kick
- Thief​

Okay this is what you've all been waiting for, Normal Gem/Technician Ambipom. I try to preserve this mon for as long as possible, as Normal Gem-boosted Fakeout can often be enough to turn the tide in a battle. STAB Fakeout+Return is enough to KO a lot of the tier's better setup sweepers like Sceptile, Delphox and Bulk Up Braviary. Technician-boosted Thief makes quick work of Xatu and Delphox, also if you can keep it in your back pocket long enough, Thief can really punish ghost types switching in on expected Fakeout/Return/Low Kick. I like Low Kick against Steelix, but you could easily switch this out for U-Turn or Acrobatics. While Ambipom serves as decent speed control for this team, Technician Fakeout is essential for whittling down threats such as scarf mons or agility-boosted Vikavolt. Overall the coverage offered in Ambipom's technician-boosted moves is sufficient to make it function as a late game physical sweeper that doesn't need to set up or get choice-locked. Sure it doesn't hit as hard as some of the tier's more traditional sweepers like Passimian and Sneasel, but I think that access to such a strong priority move as Fakeout really carves out Ambipom's role as a fairly unique one in the tier.

A quick point about Normal Gem: I prefer Normal Gem: I prefer normal gem to say Life Orb or Silk Scarf for three main reasons.
1) Consuming Normal Gem allows Ambipom to live Passimian's Knock Off.
2) Maximum power on your first STAB move, often helpful in late-game scenarios.
3) Thief allows you to yoink away useful items like Vaporeon's Leftovers, Minior's White Herb, Sneasel's Choice Band.

Threats

Aerodactyl

This mon causes serious problems for the team, especially if it is a Z-variant or gets off a hone claws. It usually takes Incineroar+Druddigon to handle Aerodactyl. I'll usually sac Incineroar to this mon in order to bring in a full HP Druddigon, Iron Head is a guaranteed KO if Aerodactyl has taken rocks damage. Otherwise, Z-outrage is your best bet, even though it's overkill it's definitely worth it to get this threat off the field. Protect is nice to soak up either z-Fly or z-Stone Edge but this leaves offensive options against Aerodactyl severely limited. If you want to mess with the EVs and make Druddigon a bit bulkier and give him glare, Aero's role as a threat is severely hampered.

Bulky Mons with Recovery

Hariyama, Miltank, and a boosted Audino are all pretty annoying threats for this team (basically anything with recovery). T-spikes are essential against stall, and even then matchups against mons like this are an uphill battle. If stall becomes more common in the meta I would likely put taunt on either Garb or Druddigon.

Status Spam

Without Heal Bell/Aromatherapy support, this team is generally weak to status but Glare spam in specific can really threaten such a speed-heavy team. Because of this, getting rid of an opposing Druddigon is always a high priority and I will often risk the 50/50 going up against another lead Druddigon. While less common, Prankster Whimsicott is a huge issue for mons like Ambipom and Heliolisk, it can easily be dealt with by Incineroar - dark type immunity to Prankster moves has saved my hide more than once.

Ground Type

The ground types in the NU tier present a whole host of issues for this squad, primarily defensively but the fact the eq is such a widely splashed move means that the tide can easily be turned with by Passimian or +2 Minior. Fortunately offensive ground type builds remain relatively rare in this meta, double dance Rhydon basically is this team's worst nightmare, because of this, always treat it as a threat and go on the offensive when facing Rhydon.

Paste
https://pokepast.es/44a9961b960e6df8

Last edited:
Hi I think I can help improve your team!

Ambipom -> Togedemaru

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Zing Zap

- Super Fang

So the first thing that sticks out to me is Ambipom. I like your 3 reasonings for using normal gem, I think it’s pretty creative, but there are a lot better options to choose from than Ambipom in NU. Ambipom has a tendency to draw in bulky ground types (as you mentioned in your threat list) and your team has trouble switching into them. Steelix can dent your team really easily with the right prediction, and Ambipom gives it more opportunities. Your team actually really struggles vs Steelix, especially after a Curse. The first thing I want to change is Ambipom. I want to change Ambipom to something else that has speed control, so maybe scarf Togedemaru since you don’t have an electric immunity, and we can possibly change Heliolisk to a different breaker but I won’t disregard a double electric core because it could possibly be good vs Golbat.

Incineroar

Incineroar @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 100 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

- Protect / U-Turn

Next thing I noticed is that you’re running AV Incineroar without wish support. I’d always recommend wish support with AV incineroar, and if you can’t fit wish support it’s probably better to run the pinch berry set. You mentioned SD + berry, i would recommend the standard ev spread to better take on Mega Glalie. Protect would be great with Garbodor’s Toxic Spikes, but coverage/U-Turn is always good on incineroar so I’ll just leave that for you to decide.

Decidueye -> Dhelmise

Dhelmise @ Grassium Z
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Rapid Spin

- Synthesis

I like Dhelmise on spikes teams because of rapid spin. Dhelmise's role is pretty similar to Dedicueye but keeping your hazards are very important. I went with Grassium Z because it does KO's Steelix after Togedemaru gets a super fang off. The double electric core should be good for Golbat and Braviary so Steelium Z doesn't seem as necessary on this team.
252+ Atk Dhelmise Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 186-220 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Druddigon

Druddigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Protect

- Stealth Rock

Since I made Dhelmise the Z user Druddigon needs to change to a different item. I changed it to spdef to better take on Delphox. It's also a good pivot into Palossand and you can force it out with Dragon Tail.

Garbodor

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Minor changes to Garbodor to better take on Pangoro. You outspeed adamant max speed Pangoro with this spread.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Volt Switch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Incineroar @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 100 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Protect

Druddigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Dhelmise @ Grassium Z
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Zing Zap
- Super Fang

Hi Davon, thanks for your suggestions! I'll try them out soon and check back in and let you know how it goes. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)