VGC 2011 rules up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does only Isshu pokemon mean only pokemon found in Isshu including swarm pokemon? Or is it the base 160 odd? If its the latter....gah what a confined meta.

I am disapoint that RNG has been cracked for VGC. Now everyone must RNG to be competative. Yay arms races.

breh

強いだね
Does only Isshu pokemon mean only pokemon found in Isshu including swarm pokemon? Or is it the base 160 odd? If its the latter....gah what a confined meta.

I am disapoint that RNG has been cracked for VGC. Now everyone must RNG to be competative. Yay arms races.
No not really. I think I'll do fine just by transferring over dittoes with 0 and max speed ivs. really the only thing that you need to focus on is speed; attacks and defences should be at least decent.

Also it's only Pokemon in the Isshu Dex barring Resh, Zek, and Kyu. (oh and the event legends like victini and meloetta and friends)

News!

Vancouver and Ontario are both getting visits from the B/W mall tour. I'm almost convinced that we are getting stops this year.

Dates & Locations:

Vancouver, British Columbia

Feb 12th, 10:00am - 9:00pm and Feb 13th, 11:00am - 7:00pm

Grand Court at Metrotown Metropolis

Mississauga, Ontario

Feb 19th & 21st, 10:00am - 5:00pm

Kids-Fest, International Center, Mississauga,
NOTE: Free admission

If I practice a ton and my battling skill is 'pretty good' what sort of chance do I have of making nats?
If you're lucky you could make top 16, but if you hit some of the better players, 'pretty good' might not be good enough. Facing a smogonite is mostly about prediction, and knowing how your opponent thinks. Watch some of last year's battle vids maybe?

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you're lucky you could make top 16, but if you hit some of the better players, 'pretty good' might not be good enough. Facing a smogonite is mostly about prediction, and knowing how your opponent thinks. Watch some of last year's battle vids maybe?
Where could I find those? Thanks a ton!

Where could I find those? Thanks a ton!
Just search Pokemon VGC 2010 or 2009 on youtube and you'll get a bunch of familiar faces. They're great for getting an idea of how long matches are/ how certain moves work and such. It's easy to see something in theory, but actions speak louder than thoughts. :)

Well actually thinking about it if you start now and practice a lot to understand the metagame you can probably get the invite to Nationals, I still have my doubts, but I started around a month or two before the Newark regional last year and I got in the Top 32, so it is possible to do well, it is just that you'll need peopl to guide you and right now it is too early to have someone help you a lot so you'll be doing it on your own putting you at quite a disadvantage where I started in the middle of the season and had a lot of help along the way. Focus on learning the metagame first, look at how others play.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well actually thinking about it if you start now and practice a lot to understand the metagame you can probably get the invite to Nationals, I still have my doubts, but I started around a month or two before the Newark regional last year and I got in the Top 32, so it is possible to do well, it is just that you'll need peopl to guide you and right now it is too early to have someone help you a lot so you'll be doing it on your own putting you at quite a disadvantage where I started in the middle of the season and had a lot of help along the way. Focus on learning the metagame first, look at how others play.
Thanks a lot for advice, hopefully I can at least do well enough to put my name on the map!

I made a playlist of all the VGC 11 videos on youtube so far. Slim pickings at the moment, but I’ll be continuously updating it throughout the season. Eventually it should help in seeing how the metagame is evolving.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6BF0003C6BA6D627
Dr Fidget = Video Man from Worlds!
The man who caught Un Golpe Critico! The man who has the videos! This would be something good to do, be sure to keep track of the Regional finals videos if you can, if you can do that at least.

Before the start of each battle, players will select 4 Pokémon to use that round, with two Pokémon active at once.
This little piece confuses me. Does this mean we WILL be able to see our opponent's team before the battle or not?

They just updated the Pokemon site with the age group and the already-familiar rules. However they still don't seem to say that Australians are allowed to participate! :chaos:

I tried to contact them a few months ago about this, but got no reply. I'll try again tomorrow.

Not necessarily. In the past three seasons, you took your spot in the Battle Room and chose 4 Pokémon without seeing the opponent's team. Whether or not we will have team preview remains to be seen as of now (cf. team preview thread).

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
News!

Vancouver and Ontario are both getting visits from the B/W mall tour. I'm almost convinced that we are getting stops this year.

Dates & Locations:

Vancouver, British Columbia

Feb 12th, 10:00am - 9:00pm and Feb 13th, 11:00am - 7:00pm

Grand Court at Metrotown Metropolis
sonuvabitch where have they been for the past decade

I gotta say I'm really excited about the Unova only rule, it's gonna give a really fresh feeling to the whole thing, and it allows for so many noobs to the competetve arena (like myself) to have a decent shot. Plus I'm not too fussed that we're getting B&W so much closer to the start of the VGC, we've had the opportunity to eavesdrop on developments from those already playing, so we can have a game plan to enact as soon as we do get our hands on a copy.

And living in the UK, I really hope we get the stop in London this year, Birmingham's more central, sure, but London's London, innit.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I gotta say I'm really excited about the Unova only rule, it's gonna give a really fresh feeling to the whole thing, and it allows for so many noobs to the competetve arena (like myself) to have a decent shot. Plus I'm not too fussed that we're getting B&W so much closer to the start of the VGC, we've had the opportunity to eavesdrop on developments from those already playing, so we can have a game plan to enact as soon as we do get our hands on a copy.

And living in the UK, I really hope we get the stop in London this year, Birmingham's more central, sure, but London's London, innit.
It's not just about location, though. It's about venue, and which venue can be obtained. I went to both London's and Birmingham's tournaments in the UK the two previous years. London's felt great at the time, but after last years event in Birmingham, I realized how poor London was in comparison.

London's was held in a venue called 'The Cricus Space' in 2009, which was basically a rehearsal studio for the likes of dance performances and other stage acts, stripped out for the day. Birmingham's was held in the NEC, which is a collection of venues used to major events and concerts. It was far bigger and the event worked a lot better. I'd much rather travel to Birmingham again than London - and not just because it's closer.

I'm not sure what other venues in London could be obtained, but I'd bet they could stop at Birmingham again if they can acquire the same venue. However, Manchester Central is a fantastic venue, which is easy to get to as Manchester is probably the second most accessible city in England after London. I'm convinced that the UK's VGC tournament will be on May 28th (unless they split it over two days with the new age divisions) - and this venue isn't booked for anything on that date yet as far as I'm aware.

If it's in Manchester, I'll get a boner. I'd love to not have to travel very far. I can't see it being anywhere other than London, Birmingham, or Manchester, though.

I'm not sure what other venues in London could be obtained, but I'd bet they could stop at Birmingham again if they can acquire the same venue. However, Manchester Central is a fantastic venue, which is easy to get to as Manchester is probably the second most accessible city in England after London. I'm convinced that the UK's VGC tournament will be on May 28th (unless they split it over two days with the new age divisions) - and this venue isn't booked for anything on that date yet as far as I'm aware.
The 02 Arena does a lot of random stuff like this during the daytime, conventions and the like, and Earl's Court Arena is also really well suited, they hold conventions pretty much every week. If the VGC goes to either of these, awesome (and of course, not just because it's closer).

But you're right, if you can get the whole experience right, it'll rock, regardless of geography. I'm pretty sure I'll go wherever it is. Unless it's, y'know, Land's End or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)